topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten  (Read 414489 times)

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten
« Reply #550 on: July 01, 2020, 03:42 PM »
The Notecard System: The Key For Remembering, Organizing And Using Everything You Read:
https://ryanholiday....everything-you-read/

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #551 on: July 02, 2020, 08:57 AM »
The Notecard System: The Key For Remembering, Organizing And Using Everything You Read:
https://ryanholiday....everything-you-read/

THIS: In the FAQ section. "Wouldn’t digital be easier? Yes. But I don’t want this to be easy. Writing them down by hand forces me to take my time and to go over everything again (taking notes on a Kindle is too easy and that’s the problem). Also being able to physically arrange stuff is crucial for getting the structure of your book or project right. I can move cards from one category to another. As I shuffle through the cards, I bump into stuff I had forgotten about, etc."

Once again. I am amazed that there is not a way to play with cards like this digitally.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #552 on: July 02, 2020, 02:13 PM »
What I'm doing right now is a combination of things.  I took the extensions from foam but used the format of obsidian- I write in obsidian or in vs code.  Really liking it so far.
man i am not understanding how to even install foam.  it's an extension of vs code, which is an editor?  these programs are so complicated loll....ill get it sheesh.

1. Go to https://github.com/f...bubble/foam-template
2. Click use thiis template
3. Fill out the name of the repo that you want to use for Foam, and make it private or public as you wish
4. Open VS code.
5. Go to the source control tab and click clone
6. Clone it to your local drive wherever you want your Zettel stored
7. Authenticate to GitHub
8. After it is cloned, it will ask you to install recommended extensions.  Do that (it will change your theme- booo... but you can change it back)
9. There is no 9.  You're there.
I followed this, thanks.
I installed foam just fine, but I can't get all the features to work in VS code.  I'm getting workspace errors, the minimap is disappearing even though its one etc, so many GUI issues.  It's going to take a while to get this setup.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #553 on: July 02, 2020, 05:43 PM »
OK I think I have VS Code running foam pretty well now.
This is an excellent option, I hope it continues.

It has nice side-by-side preview options, which is great.  For a smoother experience, I like how Zettlr has the preview sort of built into the main editor....vs two panes of editor+preview.  I like both, and I might even lean towards the two pane.

The killer feature is the graph pane, that shows the note links.  So now this takes the place of Obsidian in a sense.  Or they are competing features.

VS Code is a very nice program.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #554 on: July 02, 2020, 05:45 PM »
https://notes.andymatuschak.org

This website design is so incredible.  I want this.  How can I do this?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #555 on: July 02, 2020, 08:04 PM »

It's very similar to gingko, so you could use that for the same.  I keep a lot of my notes in that.  It just doesn't have the reference links nor the mouseovers.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #556 on: July 02, 2020, 11:23 PM »

It's very similar to gingko, so you could use that for the same.  I keep a lot of my notes in that.  It just doesn't have the reference links nor the mouseovers.
I just saw right on his front page....he says he doesn't make the system available to others.  He's still testing it out and doesn't want to scale it yet.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #557 on: July 03, 2020, 02:02 AM »
You know, I love these plugins implemented in VS COde and SUblime....

But, the problem I am having is when you set all those panes up with the various things (the graph map, links, preview)...how do you keep them locked there?  It's too easy for files to open up in one of the side panes.  It happens all the time, and is annoying I always have to click in the one I want active and then open.  I just realized i spent most of the time trying to open things in the right pane.  I must be doing something wrong, or else this is almost a deal breaker.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #558 on: July 03, 2020, 04:36 PM »
All these programs are developing and changing rapidly.
I'm avoiding getting too stuck in a particular workflow or program. Stuff will change. Today's deal breaker is tomorrow's dead bug, in some programs at least.

I'm concentrating on the bits that will endure: documents, folders, project organisation, links and tags.
Working out fuzzy tags was a big step forward for me. Working out the project/folder organisation is another.
Fixing on [[]] whatever programs do is another. I'm sure they will follow in due course if they're not already there. Could do without the markdown mafia  - this is about programs that revolve around links not about markdown.
Current focus is on which programs will do what,  given they are all working on the same folders. I'm sticking with Obsidian for now,  but don't need to use it most of the time so long as I conform to its syntax.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #559 on: July 03, 2020, 04:40 PM »
One of the things I like is that programs like Foam and Obsidian work with files,  but function like databases. I'm not sure what they'll do when they hit capacity limits, but I'm sure they'll do something. I doubt I'll be in the first half users hitting such limits,  so I'm confident the problem will be tackled by the time I get there.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #560 on: July 03, 2020, 07:17 PM »

I just saw right on his front page....he says he doesn't make the system available to others.  He's still testing it out and doesn't want to scale it yet.

Oh, I know that.  I was suggesting Gingko as an alternative.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #561 on: July 03, 2020, 07:39 PM »
I'm not sure what they'll do when they hit capacity limits
Thinking about it, the WriteMonkey route would fit current design, and they could offer option for database in json format + linked files.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #562 on: July 04, 2020, 04:38 PM »

Oh, I know that.  I was suggesting Gingko as an alternative.
Ideally, for this sort of thing I'd like to get some website where all i have to do is sync my markdown files to the site, and it displays properly (lilke a regular markdown preview).  THe closest thing I've come across is that jekyll program which github uses, and i also tried installing on a ubuntu machine myself.  But it still requires quite a bit of tweaking. 

I think you are right, these techs are really blowing up right now, I'm sure many cool options are coming our way.

I tried using the standard foam-github sync, and that works well enough I suppose.  But the internal linking is something to be desired.

the PERFECT website would be like:
you just sync your markdown files
the website also has a graph-like network navigation
the website also has something keeping track of tags and links

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #563 on: July 05, 2020, 03:10 AM »
Zettelkasten note-taking in 10 minutes

"... Reading is hard and books don’t work. Zettelkasten aka slip-box note-taking is the new cool kid on the block. Don’t go down the same rabbit hole as I did, researching the method for tens of hours. This article should be enough of the introduction to get you started ...":
https://blog.viktoma....com/posts/slip-box/

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #564 on: July 05, 2020, 07:48 AM »
I like how Zettlr has the preview sort of built into the main editor
I notice that many zettlr users have problems transitioning to other programs because filename isn't the same as the note name

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #565 on: July 05, 2020, 07:55 AM »
afaics most users have little awareness of sampling bias when looking at their graphs. I won't be tempted to use them until I can use sophisticated queries.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #566 on: July 05, 2020, 08:13 PM »
I like how Zettlr has the preview sort of built into the main editor
I notice that many zettlr users have problems transitioning to other programs because filename isn't the same as the note name
i just made a feature request for this.  TO have a feature in the program to rename files based on ID (what i wrote in an earlier post here).  The developer likes the idea and seems willing to implement it, and others also have said they like the idea.  Hopefully it will happen!

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #567 on: July 06, 2020, 04:48 AM »
The file name will also need at least one letter. Number only gives problems too.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #568 on: July 06, 2020, 12:05 PM »
The file name will also need at least one letter. Number only gives problems too.
Ideally, the user can define how the filename should be.  You can name it "ID title.md" or "title.md" or whatever.   We just need a way to rename files using the ID number.  It's perfect for Zettlr because it is already tracking the ID in the text continuously.  Zettlr can even use the yaml header to detect ID or title changes instantly, which is awesome....now just sync it with the filename also.

If Zettlr does that, I say it becomes king of the hill.  But Obsidian might be winning currently.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #569 on: July 06, 2020, 02:06 PM »
Athens - Open-Source Networked Thought:
https://github.com/athensresearch/athens

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #570 on: July 06, 2020, 03:52 PM »
Memo - Markdown knowledge base with bidirectional [[link]]s built on top of VSCode:
https://github.com/svsool/vscode-memo

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #571 on: July 06, 2020, 04:16 PM »
Semilattice on iOS
They don't stop coming
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 06:13 PM by Dormouse »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #572 on: July 06, 2020, 06:42 PM »
I don't actually spend much time in Obsidian yet, but its existence has enabled a major workflow shift.
Partly that's simply using markdown documents, and I was getting there anyway.
Mostly it's because it has made it easy to use WriteMonkey for nearly all of my writing (well, a lot is on Android but ends up in WriteMonkey; and Obsidian). I'll need to dig up the old workflow diagrams to look at the difference, though I'm not sure they'll reflect the extent of the experienced change.
Virtually everything can be in documents. All the fancy and bitty stuff goes into Obsidian. And WriteMonkey works on those parts that count as writing. The writing itself isn't the major part of writing - that's planning, researching,   organising, revising,  reviewing, editing, polishing,  as well as everything related to publishing - but a comfortable environment for that makes a huge difference. Previously I wrote in a wide range of programs. Some of that was required, some was because I adapted easily, but mostly it was because the very different bitty needs of different projects pushed for this program,  then that, and the other. And there's none of that now.  ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #573 on: July 06, 2020, 09:57 PM »
Memo - Markdown knowledge base with bidirectional [[link]]s built on top of VSCode:
https://github.com/svsool/vscode-memo

Ok.  I like this one better than Foam.  I have both of them installed right now, and so far, they're playing nicely.  But the features in this one are a lot more polished from what I've seen so far.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #574 on: July 07, 2020, 04:31 AM »
the features in this one are a lot more polished from what I've seen so far.
Useful to know that,  thanks.
It's not something I wanted to test for myself.
My impression was that Foam had more ambition for the future.