topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1019110 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes,that really is not a perfect solution,(in Portugal,i think there will only a few places ;)..problems about being a small country) but i don't think that frappr's system can be implemented (although I'm not the expert,right mouser  :Thmbsup:) and seeing the global usage meters on the server,would already allow us to have some idea on the globalization of dc...
Anyways,technical limitations apart,I'd also like to see the members in the map ;)

Redhat

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow I missed this thread entirely  ;D

I am 17 years of age and a director of a PC Repair company. We shall soon be moving into online retail and web services too. Very busy = me  ;) I've been twiddling with computers since the age of 9, which I suppose is much less time than most here. I am from Luton, Bedfordshire, England, UK. Don't shoot me for living in Luton!  :Thmbsup:

My hobbies include coding for the desktop and also for the web. I enjoy my work because you meet a wide range of people, and I earn more cash than my peers  ;D

To top my week off I love to go clubbing and wake up wishing I had never done it  8) :D

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I live in the extreme north of Maine (USA), though I originated in South Dakota and spent time in Mississippi and Virginia while in the Navy.

These days I'm a stay at home dad with an energetic two year old and, when I have time, a free lance web developer.  When not using my time productively, pretty much just drink and bite my finger nails ;)

KaysLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi all,

I am 47, and come from Bolton in the U.K. (that's a town near Manchester for the non-U.K. people).

I have worked in an IT arena for over 25 years, and a couple of years I took voluntary redundancy  ;D ;D  :D

I have been working in a Call Centre for over a year which gives me times to browse the Internet.

My claim to fame is that I have spent  8)   8)  New Year on 5 continents 8), and as 2000 was special, it was in Australia.

My first love was called Kay and hence the name.

Regards

KaysLover

Harrie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Productivity Talk
    • Donate to Member
Hi!  I'm Harrie (female) and very happy about finding this site.  Think it might keep me off the streets for awhile!  <grin>

I'm from New Orleans, but ended up in Hot Springs, Arkansas after Katrina and now, I've moved to Atlanta and am hoping to settle down here for good.  I work at home as a transcriptionist.  I'm lucky enough to like my work.  I have a forum site that keeps me busy, too.  I'm married to a great guy. 

I love software, I love learning, I love programmers! 

I always read a book before falling asleep at night.  I mostly enjoy reading true stories, but sometimes fiction.   

Looking forward to getting familiar with the members here and the site itself.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Harrie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Productivity Talk
    • Donate to Member
Thank you, Carol.   :)

Got Milk?

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Got Milk? here, turning 53 this year, been into puter business for a long time, at least 15 years or so. I´m "retired" so to speak, my own choice, because i sold my PC tech support company and got, to say the least, a fair amount of dough to make me independent of salary and stuff for the rest of my days. Spending my time traveling together with the wifey thing, also spends a good amount of time in front of the PC monitor  ;)

Living in Stockholm, Sweden (there´s no polar bears on the streets here, same as Norway ;D) but the overall weather conditions, especially winter time, slowly drives me nuts. Used to joke about us having only two seasons of the year, white winter and green winter ;D Having major plans on moving to a much warmer place, somewhere in the Mediterranian area. Thats it! And i love donationcoder.com, been here several times for the Mircryption stuff, but when i finally took some time to browse the site i was amazed! Sent the donation right away! 

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: OK - lets get to know each other a bit. . .
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2006, 10:22 PM »
I am 22 years old, and originate from the Boise, Idaho, USA. I came to this site a time or two on the suggestion of fellow member Allen. We've been online buddies for several years now. I decided to join because I like software and it's always great to see what other people recommend (reviews) and what new programs I haven't even heard of before that may very well be what I have been wanting for many years.

I run a few websites, some personal, some semi-professional. I've been learning PHP, though I'm not much skilled in it. My other programming language/application of choice is Macromedia Adobe Flash. I've made a few test projects to help improve my skill with the program, mostly with the ultimate goal being to design a cool game (that will probably live in obscurity all its days) that my brother and I have had the idea to make for years. They can be found at http://www.bighed.net/idler/. If you're interested in mildly humorous, albeit somewhat morbid animations, you can see the beginnings of my hobby/career into websites from that root URL. It's not updated anymore; it's something that I don't really tell people about these days.

Lately I've been tinkering with personal PHP utilities. Making my own discussion boards, and thumbnail creating script. I had been thinking about doing a wiki and not long after I saw some discussion on this site about getting a wiki here. So I decided to create one. I got Allen into it and we had a race to see who would finish first. Well, he's done and I've been out of town a lot recently (no laptop for me) and mine doesn't even create a page yet. His is a nice, little, and for once in his programming career, useful script. (Oh wait, his ReReplace.com site is useful, too!)

I still intend on making that wiki, and with a lot more functionality than Allen's. That's not to say I think mine will be better. We just have different ideas on what we want our own projects to do. Nothing wrong with either one.

That's all for now.

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am 22 years old, and originate from the Boise, Idaho, USA. I came to this site a time or two on the suggestion of fellow member Allen. We've been online buddies for several years now.

Well if you're OK by Allen ... you're OK by me.  Don't have beard do you?

Anyway welcome.
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Got Milk? here, turning 53 this year, been into puter business for a long time, at least 15 years or so.

Hey GotMilk? -   Welcome to the site. 

So what am I doing wrong?  I'm just 40+ and been in the 'puter biz 20+ years and I didn't get to retire yet.  Wah!  :redface:

Enjoy the wife thing.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No, no beard for me. I shave everytime I take a shower (though I won't tell you how often that is!) ;) and even sometimes in between showers.

I went about a month without shaving once (though I did shower in that time), but didn't like it much. I have a habit of pulling out facial hairs when they get too long.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I shave every time I take a shower too. :o

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Long time gone; now I'm back
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2006, 06:06 PM »
Soon after writing the Best Archive Tools review in September 2005 (thanks again, mouser!), I took a sabbatical to move to Chicago from St. Louis. Soon after that, my life got far more complicated that I could afford and except for once every two weeks at the public library or at my wife's work computer, I've actually been offline ever since! But next week (let's just say April '06) I'm back because I'm finally setup again and because DonationCoder.com is the most exciting community online for me! Now I split my residence time between Chicago and Missouri, yet another complexification of modern life.

I have a PhD in Philosophy (yes, yes, Philosophy doesn't "produce" anything, but I'm proud of my studies), but have taught undergraduate statistics at several midwestern colleges and universities for years and then became a database consultant. However, in late 2002 my brain and heart fried at the same time and I no longer had any desire to continue working for one unethical company after another. I checked out of steady employment ever since. Poverty sucks, unless you learn to live really small, temper your longings — in my case for new software — and become good at making old things new again.

I grew up in Arkansas when it was a cool, unbigoted place, but now I'm so ashamed to be an American. In other lives I was an opera singer (tenor, of course), a famous pianist, a failed blacksmith (I got injured on the job and my thumbs never recovered) and an Army cook who hated to spice the food. My ancestors are from Norway and I'm still waiting for them to invite me back to live permanently. I'd like it there. I'm a nice guy, but I must have a nice face. I smile a lot. At my age, if you don't, you look like you have indigestion all the time. I've been asked to play Santa Claus so many times, I've even developed a standup comedy routine as Santa when I do it. In empty restaurants or theaters people sit next to me. I catch people staring at me all the time. For some reason strangers will start conversations with me — long conversations, and sometimes personal ones. I'm really not that fat; I just look like I am. Go figure.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 07:40 PM by zridling »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey welcome back - good to see you again.  :greenclp: :beerchug: :onfire: :stars: :greenclp: :beerchug: :onfire: :stars: :greenclp: :beerchug: :onfire: :stars:

However, in late 2002 my brain and heart fried at the same time and I no longer had any desire to continue working for one unethical company after another. I checked out of steady employment ever since. Poverty sucks, unless you learn to live really small, temper your longings — in my case for new software — and become good at making old things new again.

I know exactly how you feel - I have spent the last few years trying to do things I find worthwhile and personally fulfilling. I have had some success - but mostly a large credit card bill!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 06:43 AM by Carol Haynes »

Gerome

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Get my Freestyle Basic Script Language + compiler!
    • Donate to Member
Hello,

I come from planet Mars and my shuttle is named Fbsl :)
Yours,
(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN]·._.·´¯)
http://www.fbsl.net [FBSL Author]
http://gedd123.free.fr/FBSLv3.zip [FBSL Help file]
(¯`·._.·[If you need help... just ask]·._.·´¯)

karlyRana

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Whispered Dreams
    • Donate to Member
I'm new at this type of forum ;) I am Karly, I am 41 and live in Texas and I am disabled and at home. I love my 4 dogs and 2 cats and software  :-* :D
Hope I don't have code everywhere :tellme: If so please forgive me :-\
Thanks all
Karly
I DID have code everywhere! Man I cant get them suckers to work >:(
Karly? lol
People are like stained glass windows: they sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light within.

Cpilot

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
I live in the deep South U.S.A. been using computers of one sort or another since 1976 (4040 and 8080) and beyond. I'm not afraid of trying anything new, OS's or programming languages, but I do have my favorites.
I consider using this stuff as like a puzzle, so I enjoy the low level api and languages that can access em.

And OOP is something I say when I fall, and classes are for school. 

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And OOP is something I say when I fall, and classes are for school. 
I can agree with that.   :beerchug:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
zaine posted!!!

cue the dancing bananas, it's celebration time!

it really made my week to read your post, zaine
i guess i need to let these guys free now: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1977.0
hope you have been enjoying your time away from the computer, it's probably healthy for your mind to take a bit of a break.  but we all miss your blog terribly and great software list updates, and we miss you here as well.  did you see the codycards contest? i think some of the entries might make you laugh (https://www.donation...ards/gal/?&gal=m).

welcome to karly and gotmilk and of course cpilot and gerome who i talk to on our irc channel, and everyone of course.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 12:31 AM by mouser »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mouser has said it all. welcome back zaine.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
bout time f00.  welcome back indeed.  we miss you & your insight.  ...also your site updates.

epopuI

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello, Hi, Heyup, Dumela, Avuxeni, in other words greetings other members.
I just found this part of the board so here goes.  I was born (it's true) in Bromborough, Cheshire, UK. After High School I went to Hotel School in Stoke.  From there into management for a subsidiary of Lyons in London.  Trampling on people to get to the top didn't appeal to me (have no killer instinct) so left that behind to be the Chef/Instructor at an approved school (young offenders) in Derbyshire.  My father got offered a teaching position in Johannesburg and 'forced' me to apply to get a job too. I worked back in the catering industry as a training officer until getting married.  I then had the qualifications to be a houseparent in a boys home (had a wife to be housemother) Had 35 boys from 7-14 in my house. Great fun ;) My wife had been a missionary in Angola and we met at our church.  I am a Christian and come from a Christian family. My grandfather was a missionary in the Congo, where my Dad was born.  My daughter was born and when she got to the age of being 'at risk' we decided to leave the home.  As my wife is a Canadian we moved to Canada.  I worked with people with disabilities and wrote software, as a volunteer, for children with severe multiple disabilities.  Unfortunately, lifting etc. took its toll and I ended up having to give up the work.  So now I am on a disability pension at the age of 54.  Thank God for computers - I can still travel by internet!
Now I play with the computer and am getting into CG 3D art.

Enuff!
Good to meet you all - I enjoyed reading all your bio's.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello, Hi, Heyup, Dumela, Avuxeni, in other words greetings other members.
I just found this part of the board so here goes.  I was born (it's true) in Bromborough, Cheshire, UK. After High School I went to Hotel School in Stoke.  From there into management for a subsidiary of Lyons in London.  Trampling on people to get to the top didn't appeal to me (have no killer instinct) so left that behind to be the Chef/Instructor at an approved school (young offenders) in Derbyshire.  My father got offered a teaching position in Johannesburg and 'forced' me to apply to get a job too. I worked back in the catering industry as a training officer until getting married.  I then had the qualifications to be a houseparent in a boys home (had a wife to be housemother) Had 35 boys from 7-14 in my house. Great fun ;) My wife had been a missionary in Angola and we met at our church.  I am a Christian and come from a Christian family. My grandfather was a missionary in the Congo, where my Dad was born.  My daughter was born and when she got to the age of being 'at risk' we decided to leave the home.  As my wife is a Canadian we moved to Canada.  I worked with people with disabilities and wrote software, as a volunteer, for children with severe multiple disabilities.  Unfortunately, lifting etc. took its toll and I ended up having to give up the work.  So now I am on a disability pension at the age of 54.  Thank God for computers - I can still travel by internet!
Now I play with the computer and am getting into CG 3D art.

Wow welcome ... and what a convoluted story ;) Are you still in Canada? Where about. My family live near Toronto.

Small world isn't it - you were born in Bromborough - I was born in Birkenhead (just down the road really) !!

epopuI

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow welcome ... and what a convoluted story ;) Are you still in Canada? Where about. My family live near Toronto.
Small world isn't it - you were born in Bromborough - I was born in Birkenhead (just down the road really) !!

Hello Carol,
Small world it is but Canada a big country I live in Alberta about 4000kms west of Toronto.
Bebington was my home town.  But we left there when I was 5 so I remember only the bits that I've seen since then.  Not been back to UK for over ten years now.