topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1019012 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: OK - lets het to know each other a bit ... where do we all come from ...
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2005, 10:47 PM »
I'm from Canada, but I live in Seoul, Korea now.

The pictures above are NOTHING like where I live, and I'm a bit jealous.

To see a bit about where I live, you can have a gander at the Soju Dreams - Pictorial humor of life in Korea :) hehe - Enjoy~!

Ryan
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2005, 07:11 AM »
I'm from a place very near Venice, Italy. About 15-20 min. by train.
The fact that there's is a 5 minutes approximation in 20 minutes total says all about the trains service here! :)

But I prefer to consider my home a place where I spent three years as a kid, and where I try to return whenever possibile.
It's Misurina, one of the so-called pearl of the Dolomiti mountains.

Bye!

jpfx

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2005, 06:18 PM »
I was born in Oxford.... long time ago :)

Now I live in Greenwich (SE London).

Ahh.. I went to Uni in Greenwich. Those pictures bring back memories of me pedaling like a beast along the road at the bottom of the hill, coming to/from Brockley & Woolwich every day.

I now live in The States (sob). If you have any other pictures you could point me at I would be so obliged! :)
       |\      _,,,---,,_         
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;, 
      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'    
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

Miles

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2005, 11:53 PM »
Here you go: http://www.christoph...jects/britain_03.htm

The ones I posted, I took myself. If there's a particular view that you want I'll get the camera out.

When were you here? The area has changed a lot recently. Did you know that the University has taken over most of the Old Royal Naval College now?

Miles

jpfx

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2005, 05:06 PM »
I left in 96, before they got really started on the millenium thing across the river. I was born in Beckenham and grew up in Lewisham. You make it look extremely pleasant.
Not to put the dampers on it too much but I almost always had trouble breathing during rush hour on the bicycle especially passing the Cutty Sark. Pollution seemed very thick there. You're probably okay up on Blackheath.
Nice to see pictures though, I have no photos and although I'd like to go back, it's one of those things waiting for the non existent lottery ticket win.
Thanks for sharing!
       |\      _,,,---,,_         
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;, 
      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'    
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

TheGiant

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Giant's Randoimness
    • Donate to Member
Re: Who are you & what do you do?
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2005, 08:01 PM »
Figured I'd say hello, I just donated today.

I 26, I have a birthday in December, I don't like those very much, too close to Christmas. I was 21, now I'm 26 where'd the time go. I used to think 26 was old.  ;D I am part of a small two man IT department, for three companies under the same roof, more if you count the landlord and a "Buy Owner"-Like Real Estate company (Real Estate, Mortgages and Title under one roof). I got the job primarily because of my knowledge, but it helped that my mother is the Broker of the Real Estate company, and a partner in the other two. I'm a geek, I like the computer to operate how I want it to, everything from how it looks, to how everything works.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2005, 08:40 PM »
great to see more posts here - welcome jpfx and giant :)

i got some bad news for you giant, time just seems to go faster and faster as you get older -  :(

when you get a chance, pick out a graphic avatar image for your forum identity.

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2006, 06:37 AM »
I 48...Getting older by the year...A Profesional Chef worked wirth some of the top chef's of the world A musician who... Composes music...plays several instruments such as Lead , Bass, keyboards...Made a few CD's with a few bands...While in the chef Pro I was attacked and became disabled where I could not persue my careerI went into music with a band but alas! No money...The only one making the money was the club owner's...I tried my own business in Catering but where I stay in the Far south everyone want's it for nothing so I gave that up...I studied to be certified in Organic farming which at the moment is ongoing...But again by the time you've paid for seed labour ect No money...I've been studing GetBackData for two years and have recently bought myself a Forensic suite where this time I'm doing GetBackData and later on get involved with Internet Security I.E.Online Fraud ect...I'm a Beta Tester...I have a few IT friends who have a simular business and they saying "Got the money but No time" I'm quite the opposite...i.e.for now...While doing the GetBackData I will still be farming until I start earning...I'm Married No childeren a few cats and dogs...That's it for now folks
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I live in South Africa in the south near Vereeniging...will post picture soon...
m_s i was just thinking the exact same thing !

maybe i can try to install one of these map things where people can place a little marker on a map showing where they come from, might be nice.
in my next blog ill try to make a map from the website stats.
It is a good idea On one of the other forums they have this and you can place little animals nearest if not exacxtly the location your from then evryone knows exactly what part of the world your'e from... Strongly recommended...Excellent idea...
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 08:31 AM by Baseman »

Hellie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Carol, you use to live in my general direction at Oxford I live in a village extremely close to junction 5 Stokenchurch of the M40 where that big tower and the cutting is as you driving along the M40. That Sharks in Headington!!! Needless to say I live in the UK. I am 39 I use to be an NHS (Health Manager) until I started a campaign against the governments current policy of creating a government database of everyone Medical Records now I only work in the NHS on a Consultancy basis. Hence I am now very involved in politics. I know no political discussion but its what I actually do, so hope this is acceptable.

I am passionate about animals I have a rescued greyhound, a German Shepherd puppy, 3 cats and 3 rabbits.

Like JeffK  I frequently haunt www.emailaddresses.com which where I heard of this forum. I love playing around with software but am no expert. I would like a some point to have a go at programming.

Helen     

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome Helen, yes I know Stokenchurch ;)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, as some of you know, my name is Josh. I serve in the US Army, Ft. Bragg, NC and am a 25S which is a satellite communications systems operator/maintainer. I also do part time freelance work with ad muncher promoting their software. That is how I came upon this wonderful site. I have a wife, Melissa, and a daughter, Melanie. I very much enjoy lurking at this site as well as hanging out in the irc channel. I have a lot of fun debating with mouser and db90 on various issues. Anyways, thats me, in a nutshell.

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Like JeffK  I frequently haunt www.emailaddresses.com which where I heard of this forum. I love playing around with software but am no expert. I would like a some point to have a go at programming.

Helen"

Helen, I thought it was you.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 03:47 AM by brotherS »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Whoa...Great thread going on here!
Well..I'm João (eheh,i know.. English people don't know how to read my name,at least the ones i knew when i went to USA),I'm 20 years old and I'm from Portugal.
I'm a university student (that's not the right way to say it,is it?) at Instituto Superior Técnico,in Lisbon, Portugal.
As Lisbon is too far from my parent's house, i spend the weekdays at Lisbon and the weekends at Tomar,my parent's city.
Not being as life experienced as most people that posted here,there isn't much more for me to say,except that you can see some images from Portugal (and no,it isn't a province of Spain  :tellme:),just check here!

(ps: that map thing would be great,mouser,i really would like to see a map with everybody's position in the world,maybe we could even find some neighbours! :) I've already seen one like that and it gives a great look!)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey welcome João. :beerchug:

Not sure but I think you may be the first Portugese member here.

I wish my Portugese was as good as your English ... ;) Heck I wish my English was as good as your English  :wallbash:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 10:22 AM by Carol Haynes »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
lol!
Thanks Carol (and nice pictures in your site too..congratulations!)! Actually,it only comes out like that because of the spell checker,i take 10 minutes to write a post and another 5 to correct it  >:( (and also,I've had 8 years of English at school and I've been in england for an intensive course on English language,i should almost be able to write novels,don't know how i still can't write a text without errors )
I'm the only Portuguese? ooh...There goes my idea about finding neighbours here! (but still,I'd like that world map with everybody's position..I'm still trying to find out the other one i saw  :tellme:)
Great to meet you,and i hope i can help this forum on it's way through the great freeware applications (and not only)  out there!
 :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

(ps: actually,there were no errors in this text when i ran spell check..I'm getting better :))

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm the only Portuguese? ooh...There goes my idea about finding neighbours here! (but still,I'd like that world map with everybody's position..I'm still trying to find out the other one i saw  :tellme:)

I may be wrong - but anyone else will have to pop their heads out and say hi ...

Actually the map idea is good - I wonder if we could set up an interactive map linked to our user profiles so that we can simply click on our own location, and then see the full map on the Supporters YearBook page. Mouser what do you think?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
there are some mods for this discussed on smf forum - let's try to find a good one.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google Map mod seems to do the business - so long as we don't get thousands of people creating pins (unlikely since most people don't edit their profile at all).

See: http://mods.simplema...rg/index.php?mod=241

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Found it! :D
(i was looking in the forum i saw it for the first time and couldn't find it..Just searched google and it was the first result!!! grr :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:)
The site i was referring to was frappr!,where you can create a group and than easily add new people to that group by location.But after i read your post,carol, it seems to me that this isn't exactly what you were thinking,was it?I think this is more of an easy way to solve the problem,and not at all as good as the one you were suggesting

(ps: anyone noticed the spell check doesn't recognize a word as important as "google"? ;))

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
maybe it's useful to revisit this blog column and update the charts:
https://www.donation...some_geographic.html

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The nice thing about the googlemap version is that it would be self updating for anyone interested.

Funny I hadn't spotted that blog.

Actually it would be really nice to see who the members are in the map and not just stars (ie. hover over a star and the user id appears as a tool tip).

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@Carol:
I also think that googlemap is a great way,it doesn't need to be updated and we can see who is where.But is there any way to get one of those in the site,or is it only available in frappr?

@mouser:
those charts are like statistics got from the ip's of the people that visit the site,they are computer-generated,rather than made by each of us adding himself to it,right?
Anyway,it's a great concept,gives you and idea on how this site is spread over the world! :D
BTW,is there any counter in the site telling you how may hits it has had since it opened?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yes those maps are generated automatically from the server stats;
ill post a new update of site stats soon so we can all see how the site has grown.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Trouble with a site stats approach is that it only tells you where a users ISP is, not where they are! My ISP probably says I am in London or Birmingham. Some people even use ISPs in other countries - let alone towns/cities.