topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Forum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here  (Read 199536 times)

gri

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • Space Human
    • View Profile
    • SMF2+ EDITGIFT
    • Donate to Member
~Gri to Wraith808~
« Reply #250 on: September 07, 2015, 02:29 AM »
I've been down this path, and it's frustrating and leads nowhere.

To nowhere - the grivitiniks in default smf format are leading,
in quotes' headers after moving the original posts to other topics
                         in result of splitting or merging -
without a Freedom of Moving Thoughts embedded feature.

That is what a Frustration for Space Humans,
modifying the quotes code manually over the planet
during years of slow Evolution.. or Degradation.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Forum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here
« Reply #251 on: September 07, 2015, 02:32 AM »
Do similar screenshot from simplemachines.org please :
Anybody have any clues what this could be?

Thank you.

Erm...We have NOTHING to do with that website...how could we possibly control what they install on their own forum?  That's like you asking us to publish a story on bbc.com...it doesn't belong to us...I am assuming this is what you mean...but unless you decide to speak to me in something resembling English, I am afraid I don't have the time, nor patience to try figure it out anymore.

Stephen.  Let it go.  Seriously.  I've been down this path, and it's frustrating and leads nowhere.

I have haha, Completely gave up when I realized I was fighting a losing argument whatever that was lol  ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2015, 05:32 AM »
I'd expect 1 name (and not my own) to "stand out from the crowd", here

i must admit, i don't see any difference, though in my browser there is one.  The current forum code uses inline html <strong> to indicate buddies; let me change it to use css and lets see if that fixes it.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #253 on: September 07, 2015, 05:51 AM »
...picture is worth 1k words

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Maybe a 1000 words would be better?

All I know is that this orange-apple image, enlarging underneath the YouTube screen, is the first time it has happened (to me).

But I can't recall ever enlarging an image attached directly below a YouTube screen before... so...  :-[

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2015, 06:13 AM »

i must admit, i don't see any difference, though in my browser there is one.  The current forum code uses inline html <strong> to indicate buddies; let me change it to use css and lets see if that fixes it.
I checked page-source in Pale Moon, and even though 1 of my buddies is on-line, one of the <a> tags has an attribute <strong>, but it's not visibly different from the other items :-\

Then I fired up Chrome, and checked the source, (in the meantime a second buddy came on-line) to see this <strong><a href="https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=987654321" style="color: #0000FF;">user</a></strong> (userid and name hidden to protect the innocent) for the first buddy-user next to my name, giving it a blue color (strong isn't really recognizable), and this: <strong><a href="https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=987654322">user2</a></strong> for another user, making it totally not distinguishable from other users in the list :o

This looks like a bug(gy) in the buddy module.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #255 on: September 07, 2015, 06:15 AM »

Ok i see the nature of the problem -- in the current css stylesheet we are using on DC, all hyperlinks are bolded automatically, to help distinguish them.  That makes the use of an <em> or <strong> impossible (or near impossible) to see.

There are actually a few places where em (or strong) is used on links, like in emphasizing buddies on member list (or it turns out on sticky topics) -- but most of the time it's sort of redundant.  The buddies on member list is an exception.

I have two choices for how to fix:
  • First, I can stick with our style of always bolding hyperlinks, and differentiate memberlist buddies (and indeed, if we like, all strong hyperlinks) with different css (making font larger, italic, dif color).
  • Second, we can reconsider whether its wise to bold all hyperlinks.

Both fixes are easy -- the real question this raises is whether we should be bolding all hyperlinks -- and i need some opinions on this.

So let's set aside the issue of highlighting buddies in member list -- i'll solve that once we answer the question of whether all hyperlinks should be bolded.

I do find it makes it easier to identify hyperlinks when they are bolded.  I have experimented with unbolding hyperlinks locally and one problem I have is that it becomes then very hard to distinguish visited hyperlinks from normal text (or alternatively from non-visited links).

Help me decide, here are some screenshots to compare:

Bold hyperlinks:
Screenshot - 9_7_2015 , 6_13_10 AM.pngForum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here Screenshot - 9_7_2015 , 6_19_15 AM.pngForum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here

Non-bold hyperlinks:
Screenshot - 9_7_2015 , 6_14_09 AM.pngForum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here Screenshot - 9_7_2015 , 6_18_58 AM.pngForum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here

Opinions? Which do you prefer?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 06:22 AM by mouser »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #256 on: September 07, 2015, 06:21 AM »
Was making all hyperlinks bold chosen to get larger message-titles?, as those are also hyperlinks. I expect those would have their own css style.

Non-bold hyperlinks could be somewhat problematic in trying to hit the now thinner links when working on a small device, like a phone or tablet, can't test that currently :(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #257 on: September 07, 2015, 06:49 AM »
Was making all hyperlinks bold chosen to get larger message-titles?, as those are also hyperlinks. I expect those would have their own css style.

it was one to make it easier to identify clickable links. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #258 on: September 07, 2015, 06:52 AM »
Regardless of whether I change the hyperlinks to be bold or not, i have used a different color for buddies on memberlist so they should show up differently -- so that should solve that problem.

We still need to decide whether to keep hyperlinks bolded (see screenshots to compare).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #259 on: September 07, 2015, 06:53 AM »
All I know is that this orange-apple image, enlarging underneath the YouTube screen, is the first time it has happened (to me).

I understood your image, but couldn't reproduce the problem, and decided it was probably something we could ignore or at least file as low-priority problem for now.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #260 on: September 07, 2015, 06:59 AM »

I understood your image, but couldn't reproduce the problem, and decided it was probably something we could ignore or at least file as low-priority problem for now.

Thank you for your reply.  I suppose this could be my machine and or browser as well?  Vista and IE 9?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #261 on: September 07, 2015, 10:03 AM »
Regardless of whether I change the hyperlinks to be bold or not, i have used a different color for buddies on memberlist so they should show up differently -- so that should solve that problem.

We still need to decide whether to keep hyperlinks bolded (see screenshots to compare).
I can see that now, and I do like it, though it may need a little fine-tuning later.

The blue color I mentioned before seems to be assigned to (sub-)board moderators, like lanux128, Carol Haynes and app103. I hadn't recognized that before :-[

Screenshot - 07-09-2015 , 16_57_28.pngForum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here
(Buddy names again hidden to protect the innocent)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #262 on: September 07, 2015, 10:09 AM »
can you just confirm to me that we are talking about the same list? maybe a screenshot,

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I'd expect 1 name (and not my own) to "stand out from the crowd", here :-[
(Screenshot taken from Pale Moon)

Buddy?  What's a buddy?!?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #263 on: September 07, 2015, 12:49 PM »
In your profile you can create a list of buddies (doesn't have to be reciprocal).
Buddy list is just an easier way to see when someone on your buddy list is online currently.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #264 on: September 07, 2015, 02:12 PM »
I'd love to see what the unread:all page looks like without the bold. Was it set this way (all links are bold) in the previous forum? Because if not that might explain a sense of something being "off" here that I hadn't put my finger on yet, in which case I'd prefer non-bold links by default. I think changing the color of visited links to better differentiate them is a better solution than bolding them all.

- Oshyan

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #265 on: September 07, 2015, 03:21 PM »
can you just confirm to me that we are talking about the same list? maybe a screenshot,

//There is an image here...but the forum has cocked up with the quoting problem again so I removed it.

I'd expect 1 name (and not my own) to "stand out from the crowd", here :-[
(Screenshot taken from Pale Moon)

Buddy?  What's a buddy?!?

In your profile you can create a list of buddies (doesn't have to be reciprocal).
Buddy list is just an easier way to see when someone on your buddy list is online currently.

Joke over your head.gif

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #266 on: September 07, 2015, 07:15 PM »
could be this has already been discussed but I couldn't see it

I find that there isn't enough contrast between pinned threads and everything else (eg the living room) particularly when viewed on a small device (like my 10" netbook).  Did the old format have a dedicated icon (I can't remember, but it was quite plain)

Not a biggy by any means, it just takes me a bit longer to get to the 'current' threads

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #267 on: September 08, 2015, 05:56 AM »
I'd love to see what the unread:all page looks like without the bold. Was it set this way (all links are bold) in the previous forum? Because if not that might explain a sense of something being "off" here that I hadn't put my finger on yet, in which case I'd prefer non-bold links by default. I think changing the color of visited links to better differentiate them is a better solution than bolding them all.

Perhaps we should try unbolded links for a bit and see if they are preferred;  I think perhaps the old forum did not use bolded links.   I intended to keep a working backup of the old forum for comparison purposes but due to unforseen circumstances i was not able to keep it online (though obviously i still have all the files to inspect manually).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2015, 05:58 AM »
I find that there isn't enough contrast between pinned threads and everything else (eg the living room) particularly when viewed on a small device (like my 10" netbook).  Did the old format have a dedicated icon (I can't remember, but it was quite plain)

Check again now please (make sure to F5 to reload css).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:16 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2015, 06:08 AM »
Ok I have switched to a default of non-bolded hyperlinks; i still bold them in a few places (like inside posts) to make them more readable, but elsewhere back to non-bolded.
Remember to hit F5 to force a re-load of the css file to see the changes.

Let me know if you folks like this look better or worse.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2015, 08:34 AM »

Check again now please (make sure to F5 to reload css).

Well, since you switched it, do you still want any screen shots?

PS What is NOW different for me ... is when I quote, it was green yesterday! Now the theme colors are all blue! (I have an old tab open so I can see the changes.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2015, 08:49 AM »
is when I quote, it was green yesterday! Now the theme colors are all blue! (I have an old tab open so I can see the changes.)

yikes! i didn't do that on purpose! let me figure out wtf caused that.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2015, 08:53 AM »
FIXED -- thanks for finding that.  I had a syntax error in the css file and it was breaking a bunch of things.  Should be ok now.  :up:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2015, 10:02 AM »
Ok I have switched to a default of non-bolded hyperlinks; i still bold them in a few places (like inside posts) to make them more readable, but elsewhere back to non-bolded.
Remember to hit F5 to force a re-load of the css file to see the changes.

Let me know if you folks like this look better or worse.

I'd vote for the default being bolded - well, for thread titles anyways. I found them easier to read bold.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #274 on: September 08, 2015, 10:32 AM »
I think logically there is something to be said for not having links bolded by default -- just because it enables SOME links to be bolded for emphasis; other than that I am ambivalent.
Let's try it this way for a week and make a decision at that point.
Screenshots above show the difference in look -- or you can always use a local css file to override the site css.