topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Forum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here  (Read 199515 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Forum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2015, 02:24 AM »
Concerning the translate box: harmless, yes, a distraction non the less.

For Firefox, the Remove It Permanently add-on seems to work toward this end.

For Chrome, I tried Page Eraser, but didn't figure out how to get it to work across an entire site.

Just tried Stylebot with some success -- right click on element, choose 'Stylebot', choose 'Style Element', look for the 'Layout & Visibility' section, and click on the 'Hide' button.  Not ideal perhaps and may not work specific elements only, but at least it can hide the 'Translate' pop-up...

Don't know about other browsers / platforms.

Thanks for the suggestions ewemoa!

Nevertheless, @mouser, I would prefer '-translate', if it's easy to do.

I assume you use AbBlockPro (Assuming cause...well...I don't know anybody that doesn't) - if so, click the icon, click "block element" then click the translate box (and anything else you wanna hide) - they are now gone :)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2015, 02:41 AM »
Nevertheless, @mouser, I would prefer '-translate', if it's easy to do.
I assume you use AbBlockPro (Assuming cause...well...I don't know anybody that doesn't) - if so, click the icon, click "block element" then click the translate box (and anything else you wanna hide) - they are now gone :)
I don't. But works with uBlock Origin just as well. Thanks :Thmbsup:

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2015, 02:42 AM »
Hmm...looks like the points I mentioned got lost in between. It happens in exitement.

Here is the link and hope some replies on them https://www.donation....msg387883#msg387883

Regards,

Anand

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2015, 02:46 AM »
Hi Anand.

Indeed i missed your post initially, but then replied to it here: https://www.donation....msg387914#msg387914

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2015, 02:47 AM »
I can't recognize the links that I've read from the ones I haven't read; On old DC the link-color changed after visiting he link, but on DC2 the link color stays exactly the same  This may be due to the color-scheme in the theme, I can't tell, but it is a nuisance

ah thanks for pointing that out.
i have attempted to fix it -- let me know if i did ok.  you may have to F5 on a page to get it to load the new css file.  The color difference between visited and non-visited links is subtle, but it's there.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:24 AM by mouser »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2015, 03:50 AM »
Another more general point: the first thing I do when I visit the forum is scroll down to the very bottom to see what's latest in the "Info Center - Active Topics" section. I don't know how many other forum users do that, but if a lot or most of them, then from a usability point of view it might be better to have that section at the very top, so there is no need for all that scrolling. Just a suggestion.

You are the 2nd person who has told me that's how you read the forum. I had no idea people did this.

The first things I do on login in is look at the bottom of the home page to see the recent Active Topics

That makes 3 of us now...  ;)

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2015, 04:13 AM »
Another more general point: the first thing I do when I visit the forum is scroll down to the very bottom to see what's latest in the "Info Center - Active Topics" section. I don't know how many other forum users do that, but if a lot or most of them, then from a usability point of view it might be better to have that section at the very top, so there is no need for all that scrolling. Just a suggestion.

You are the 2nd person who has told me that's how you read the forum. I had no idea people did this.

The first things I do on login in is look at the bottom of the home page to see the recent Active Topics

me too.  :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2015, 04:17 AM »
Ok for all you Info Center addicts: that section is good now yeah?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2015, 04:58 AM »
I can't recognize the links that I've read from the ones I haven't read; On old DC the link-color changed after visiting he link, but on DC2 the link color stays exactly the same  This may be due to the color-scheme in the theme, I can't tell, but it is a nuisance

ah thanks for pointing that out.
i have attempted to fix it -- let me know if i did ok.  you may have to F5 on a page to get it to load the new css file.  The color difference between visited and non-visited links is subtle, but it's there.

I really don't think it is, not always. So it's not clear under what circumstances it isn't. I'm on Pale Moon and not exactly what all security settings I have going on, if some of those matter etc.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2015, 04:59 AM »

Blame me for starting this whole wagon train!

:P

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2015, 06:21 AM »

Blame me for starting this whole wagon train!

Well then pardner, allow me to also hitch my wagon up.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2015, 06:39 AM »
Ok for all you Info Center addicts: that section is good now yeah?

What is this "Info Center"?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2015, 09:19 AM »
They are talking about the "Active Topics" list on the bottom of the main forum page (board index page): https://www.donationcoder.com/forum

Is it working as it should for everyone now? If not, how so?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2015, 09:22 AM »
What is this "Info Center"?

I forget if it had a different name last week, but I've called it the "thread aggregator". It's that box at the bottom of the main forum page that collects the top ten *different threads* and bumps them up to the top in the order a post hits (and pretty fast, within seconds.)

Mouser was surprised because he had his own ways of doing things and "just put it there whenever he did it way back", and had no idea how useful it was. To me it's a perfect compromise of exactly the right info density because it's *threads* and not *posts* so let's say this Forum Upgraded thread has lots of stuff going on, it only occupies one slot and for example I can see instantly that if I aka Tao posted earlier, and now it's bumped with Wraith, well, hey, go look!

But for example the Animal Threads thread hasn't done anything since 1AM so if you already looked there, you know you're up to date. And because it's *different* threads, it's kinda rare that *eleven or more* threads get hit and you "might risk missing something".

(It's also why I ignore Mouserbot in the chat, because you just park a tab there on the front page and watch something to get bumped, so I for one don't need extra lines "cluttering" my chat  flow.)

And Mouser has suggested an alternate page with even more stuff, but somehow that extra page "blows my info capacity fuse" and I can't look at it often.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2015, 09:23 AM »
They are talking about the "Active Topics" list on the bottom of the main forum page (board index page): https://www.donationcoder.com/forum

Is it working as it should for everyone now? If not, how so?

Well, someone was saying the links should change color if you read them, except they don't at least in my case.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2015, 09:29 AM »
The links should be changing colors as you visit them, but:
  • The color difference is subtle.
  • You may have to hit F5 to reload the css on the page to see the changes.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2015, 09:57 AM »

I see it on IE8 but not on Pale Moon or FF Dev Edition.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2015, 10:29 AM »
To me it's a perfect compromise of exactly the right info density because it's *threads* and not *posts* so let's say this Forum Upgraded thread has lots of stuff going on, it only occupies one slot and for example I can see instantly that if I aka Tao posted earlier, and now it's bumped with Wraith, well, hey, go look!

But for example the Animal Threads thread hasn't done anything since 1AM so if you already looked there, you know you're up to date. And because it's *different* threads, it's kinda rare that *eleven or more* threads get hit and you "might risk missing something".

And Mouser has suggested an alternate page with even more stuff, but somehow that extra page "blows my info capacity fuse" and I can't look at it often.

Very well explained. This is exactly why I like the Info Center as well.  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2015, 10:36 AM »
Is it really better than the recent topics page: https://www.donation...x.php?action=rtopics
Do you want me to create a new standalone page similar to the list on the main page, but with more entries (or larger font)?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2015, 10:58 AM »

dont know if it's been changed since - but it's working here in PaleMoon
Tom

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2015, 11:03 AM »

Is it really better than the recent topics page: https://www.donation...x.php?action=rtopics
Do you want me to create a new standalone page similar to the list on the main page, but with more entries (or larger font)?

As Tao said above, the recent topics page ends up being a bit too much to take in in one glance. The beauty of the Info Center  is that it's small and concise, so a quick look gives an idea of the amount of activity that had taken place and whether there is anything worth checking out further.

The current layout already requires a lot less scrolling, so that's an improvement. Personally I'd just prefer the box at the very top, so landing on the main page immediately tells the visitor what's been happening, without the need to scroll or click on another page.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2015, 11:40 AM »

dont know if it's been changed since - but it's working here in PaleMoon

Well, still not for me. But then it's not a big deal for me and I'm not above it being another quirk of my system. (Ask Skwire! )  But I'd think I can't be the only one it's not doing that for, maybe it's some combo of turning off history or something with the AwesomeBar or who knows what else.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2015, 11:43 AM »

As Tao said above, the recent topics page ends up being a bit too much to take in in one glance. The beauty of the Info Center  is that it's small and concise, so a quick look gives an idea of the amount of activity that had taken place and whether there is anything worth checking out further.

The current layout already requires a lot less scrolling, so that's an improvement. Personally I'd just prefer the box at the very top, so landing on the main page immediately tells the visitor what's been happening, without the need to scroll or click on another page.

Perhaps if the collapse could be remembered on the info center, it wouldn't matter to people that don't use it that it's there.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2015, 11:44 AM »

2. The guest image, if temporary then ok, else I will suggest some blank face type image there.
im happy to get a replacement!

These and similar I use for staff / user photo place holder in my apps. See if they can change the current big smiley, as it does not indicate that it is the guest image. The images are as an idea and can be reduced or similar small image used.

Untitled 1.png   Untitled 2.png   Untitled 3.png

Further if I press Enter after user name in Forum, then it asks for password but shows 259200 minutes to stay connected. I think it is six months converted to minutes, but looks, well...too mathematical.

BTW inserting attachment is big hurrah now  :Thmbsup:

Regards,

Anand

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2015, 01:00 PM »
Personally I'd just prefer the box at the very top, so landing on the main page immediately tells the visitor what's been happening, without the need to scroll or click on another page.

go to the new custom options line in your Forum Profile area and add:
-topinfocenter