topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2017 Wrap-Up  (Read 42506 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2017 Wrap-Up
« on: January 03, 2017, 03:29 AM »
The new year is here, which means it's time to wrap up the results of our NANY 2017 event.

What is NANY?  Since 2007 we have held an annual event that we call NANY (New Apps for the New Year), where we ask the coders who hang out on DonationCoder to create some new piece of free software and share it with the world on January 1st of the new year. NANY is really the funnest thing we do on this site, and it's one of the few times we can all play together.  There are no winners or losers, it's simply a celebration of programming and creating new software and sharing it with the world; everyone who participates gets a free commemorative coffee mug.

I'll start out with my own contributions to the event.  This year I was all in on Android, and released 6 new Android apps designed to run on phones or tables: Two diet-related apps, and four productivity utilities.

All of my apps are freely available on the Google Play Store here, or can be downloaded directly from their NANY forum threads below.

The two diet related Android apps that I wrote have a similar flavor, and are both attempts to come up with a minimalist approach to allowing you to have brief periods where you can pig out and eat whatever snacks you want, while ensuring you eat well most of the time.

The first is "Feast Day / Fast Day":

feastfastall.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

To be honest, this is the app I am most excited about, just because it represents a unique diet experiment that I have not seen described anywhere else, and one that I have been using myself with some real success over the last couple of months.

Essentially the program cycles through 4 different modes on a schedule (you can adjust durations): Normal mode where you stick to your normal diet (default 5 days); Normal-ready mode, where you stick to your diet but you can trigger Feast mode when you are ready; Feast mode where you can pig out and eat whatever junk food you want for a short duration (default of 24hrs); Fast mode where you must fast immediately after Feast mode ends (default 24 hrs).  Modes are shown in big bright clear text, perfectly suitable for a tablet that is propped up in a room and always visible.

The idea of having a feast day followed immediately by a day of fasting really does seem to have solved what for me has always been the most difficult problem with having a "cheat" day on a diet, which is the intense cravings that follow eating any snacks.  The day of fasting seems to break the incipient cravings before they can establish a foothold, and the single day of cheating in isolation followed by a fast seems to minimize the weight gained.

I think different diets work better for different people, but the super simple rules and single degree of freedom (when to trigger feast mode) have worked really well for me.  I do believe the unique approach provided by this app may be valuable to others in helping lose weight while still allowing you occasional periods of pigging out (make sure you customize the mode durations to fit your needs).

I hope others will give it a try and let me know if it helps.

My second diet app, "Feast Decreaser",  has a similar look to my first -- with clear color coded large text displays showing you whether you are in Normal, Feast, or Restrictive eating modes.  It was inspired by a friend who uses a similar scheme to decide what kind of eating he can do on any given day.

feastdecrease1.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up feastdecrease2.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Whereas my first app uses a schedule to control what mode of eating you are allowed, in Feast Decreaser, the transitions between modes are governed by your current weight, which is always displayed on the main screen and which you can easily adjust.  You set target weights for the different modes, and the screen clearly shows what mode you are in on any given day, based on your current weight.

In addition, you can configure whether your target weights should decrease by a certain amount each day.  If you do wish to trigger "cheat days" with this app, doing so will also result in a lowering of your target weights, ensuring that you continually lose weight before you can earn subsequent cheat days.

This app is a bit stricter than the first one, and if you can stick to it, it will ensure that you lose weight, but it does make it harder to anticipate your eating schedule.

I'd be very curious to hear which apps work best for people!

Next up are a series of Android apps that use a common base of code that I wrote to help me create flexible listview-centric utilities.

The first is a Memo List app, "MemoList DC":

memo2.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

This program does essentially what you would expect, let you create (text) memos and notes.

It has support for tabbed tag categories, widget support, multi-device synchronization, sorting (manual drag and drop ordering, alphabetical, by date), etc.

Next up is a checklist app, "CheckList DC":

Screenshot - 1_3_2017 , 7_03_43 AM_ver001.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

This is a fairly straightforward checklist app, again with support for tabbed tag categories, widget support, multi-device synchronization, sorting (manual drag and drop ordering, alphabetical, by date), etc.

Next up is "ScoreTracker DC", a utility for keeping track of scores or counters:

scoretrack.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

In this app, you can create a list of items (think players in a board game), and easily keep track of their scores over the course of the game.  You can quickly adjust scores for items up or down, and easily bring up a full calculator if you need to make more complicated adjustments.  You can have as many groups of items as you wish and they are persistent across runs.  Again with support for tabbed tag categories, widget support, multi-device synchronization, sorting (manual drag and drop ordering, alphabetical, by date), etc.

Next up is something a little unusual, "Progress Bars of Life" the Android version, based on my MS Windows app of the same name (see here).

Pbola_Landscape_med.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

In PBOL Android, you can set up visual progress bars showing the visual progression from a start date to and end date.  This can be useful for seeing at a glance your progress towards deadlines, or recurring events (birthdays, etc.), and also for viewing regular repeating schedules, like the time left in the current day, week, month, year, etc.  There's nothing quite like seeing a progress bar showing your remaining life span to help motivate you to get your life together..

Lastly I'll just mention that my most popular android app, last year's "When Last", a tool for keeping track of (and reminding you of) the last time you did certain activities (changed the smoke detector batteries, etc.), had a major upgrade to improve many features, including the display on smaller phones.

whenlast.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Ok now we move on to the entries from prolific DC Member "Skwire", who has been almost single-handidly fulfilling requests on the Coding Snacks section of our forum.

Skwire contributed 4 apps to this year's NANY event.  In no particular order:

SPinger is a utility that let's you ping large lists of computers by ip to get their status, with a fun configurable icon set feature.

spinger1.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up spinger2.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

SLyrics is a slick lyrics searching utility that uses the ChartLyrics API from the ChartLyrics website, to search for and download/display song lyrics by song name or partial text.

slyrics.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

TrayLang is a cute tool for people who switch their keyboard layout language.  It shows a nice configurable icon in the system tray corresponding to the current language.

traylang1_ver001.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Drive Letter Tool is a small but pretty app that let's you tweak the hidden windows setting that controls the way drive letters are displayed in Windows Explorer and other Windows dialogs.  It's nice in that it shows you clear visual examples of the effects of each setting.

driveletter.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

We now move on to other contributors..

WaveMe is GUI-based, digital electronic timing diagram drawing software for Windows 7 or newer (and Linux via Wine), what can be used to draw waveforms (signals and buses), gaps, arrows and labels. Intended primarily for documentation purposes, electronic hardware designers can use Waveme to draw a timing diagram, and then export it to an image file (PNG, BMP or TIFF) or a PDF document.

waveme.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

CSearcher is a portable, simple, and fast free non-indexing search program, that can filter based on date, size, and contents.

csearch.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Inline Calculator is a pop-up calculator with lots of features: Live calculation as you type, Trigonometric and Algebraic Math Functions, Hex to Decimal, Binary to Decimal (and vice-versa) functions, Character to Ascii and Unicode (and vice-versa) functions, Round Fractions, Convert Answers to Fraction, Descriptive menus, Recent Equations Menu, Memorized Equations Menu.

calcpreview.gifNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

ScratchPad allows you to keep a little window open for notes, and saves the contents automatically, whenever there has been a change.  Instead of prompting for the full location, Scratchpad shows you a Drop-Down List Box that allows you to see most recently opened Scratchpads, or you can type in a new topic name to create a new Scratchpad for it.

scratch.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Auceps is a single-player browser based mini chess-like game based heavily on "Let's Catch the Lion", itself a scaled-down version of a chess game from the orient.  Fun to discover the rules as you play.

auceps.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Youtube Watcher for Linux keeps track of videos from certain users. You can update to see if they have any new ones.
You can go through the list of new ones and download them right from the program, as either audio or video+audio.

youtube.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Amortization Calculator is a freeware calculator for payment amounts, number of payments, total interest paid for various types of loans

amort.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Command Blocks Warlock allows you to quickly store commonly used minecraft command block commands for easy find/replace of certain certain fields when you need to create a new command.

warlock.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

TrackFiles tracks live changes in a file, and lets you compare the changed file with a previous version.

compareFiles.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Screen Capture by Handle lets you capture windows objects (buttons, etc.) by their handle id in a way that's more precise than using standard capture tools.

screencap.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

OpLop For Windows is a simple opens ource GUI front end for the OpLop library that generates account passwords based on a nickname and a master password.

oplopall.JPGNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

EOLConverter converts files from Unix (LF) line endings to windows (CRLF) line endings.

eolconvert.PNGNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Mouse Shake Menu is a background utility that let's you execute keyboard command with mouse only. Just click on a window and shake the mouse left and right to popup a menu with 4 buttons. Each button is assigned to a set of keyboard keys.

mouseshake.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Tiny Server Inventory is a simple database program to help you keep track of many servers you may maintain (ip address, domain name, etc.)

inventory.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

SLogo is a browser based tool that runs turtle graphics in the browser; uses WebGL to display image on HTML5 canvas[/url]

slogo.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Affirmator shows daily affirmations on your screen. Write affirmations in the textbox, each one on its own line, enter the number of times to show and press "Show". Then there will be message boxes shown with your affirmations. All you have to is to read these boxes. Simple, isn't it? Complete Unicode support; ability to save to file and load from file list of affirmations; can speak phrases aloud (SAPI5 voices are supported)

affirm.jpgNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Dia4 and Dia5 are text and gui (respectively) file explorer tools with an emphasis on keyboard interaction.

dia4.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

DonationCoder Quick Links - simple beta program with menu entries to open a browser to the most common DonationCoder website pages.

quicklinks.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

BackseatSiege (QuorraBot plugin) is a plugin for the QuorraBot chat client for twitch.tv, which demonstrates techniques to help interact with viewers when broadcasting on twitch.tv.

backseat.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

PDST Personal Development Score Tracker (Mobile app) allows you to create a list of Personal Development tasks/targets and score them regularly.

PDST-main-2_ver001.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

FileFillerExtended (dummy file generation tool) - helps you generate quantities of dummy files with various parameters, to assist in testing software that works with files.

FileFillerExtended.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

Table Select - produces a Table which lists files, shortcuts or directories, from which a selection can be made, name or path copied, or Properties inspected.

T_S MAIN.pngNANY 2017 Wrap-Up

And that's a wrap for this year!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:25 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2017 Wrap-Up
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 07:38 AM »
I hope you will all join me in expressing our gratitude to all of the coders who contributed something this year.  It's especially fun to see some people participating for the first time.

I would like to ask folks to consider making a donation to any coders whose work you want to encourage. You can click on the gold coin next to the author's name on the first post of each thread above.  Or see the complete list of all participants: here.

And if you have not yet chosen to make a donation to the site, we could always use your donations to help pay for the mugs (about 20) that we will be sending out to each of the participants -- so please consider making a donation to the site  :Thmbsup:

solaris65

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Ambient Mechanics
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 11:29 AM »
Thanks for the write-up, Mouser..much appreciated!  I really don't drop by here as much as I should, even though I tell myself this every time I get an email from here..still, I just want to say this really is a great forum and I enjoy reading the posts when I do visit.

That said, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took part in this year's NANY..to each of you, your time and creativity is appreciated more than you might think.

For me, given my New Year's resolution is to loose weight, you're two diet apps are going to be put to the test..but I'm already leaning towards your "Feast Day / Fast Day" app as being my favorite, as I'm somewhat used to "Alternate-day fasting" and this app would help me doing just that.or something very similar to it, which would be really cool.

My thanks again for coding this and making it available to everyone..both of which are really appreciated.  I sometimes really envy folks like you who can code like this..I've tried a number of times to learn and I just don't seem to have the aptitude for it.

My extended thanks to everyone else who tool part, even though I may not actually get round to test everything that was produced for this year's event..regardless, you guys more than deserve our thanks at the very least for being so generous with your time and talents. 

Thank You.  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 11:45 AM »
Thanks so much for your post Solaris! Don't be such a stranger!
And let me know if you have any ideas for the diet apps.

ps.
I somehow missed Ath's PDST Personal Development Score Tracker in my initial post; that has been corrected.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 01:17 PM »
Also great write up on Ghacks @ http://www.ghacks.ne...-nany-2016-releases/

Thanks everybody

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:12 PM »
Enjoying trying out a few different ones today :Thmbsup:
Thanks for the overview mouser :)

Wondering if 'File Explorer proof of concept' does justice to DIA4 and DIA5 ?
Just trying them out -- I'm struggling with aspects -- not sure if that me or the software, but they seem pretty powerful (especially DIA5)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:21 PM »
Wondering if 'File Explorer proof of concept' does justice to DIA4 and DIA5 ?
you might be right, i'll update.

TWmailrec

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 10:23 AM »
I noticed in earlier newsletters that an application: QuickJump 2016 by CJ Gingerich, was going to be submitted  in this year's N.A.N.Y. that failed to materialise by the finish.

I had written a similar application some months earlier, which included a few extra features.
I have since modified my program, "Tbl_Select", to operate in a broadly similar fashion, and it can be downloaded from:

http://twm.dcmembers.com/

Brief Description:

The program produces a Table which lists files, shortcuts or directories, from which a selection can be made, name or path copied, or Properties inspected. The displayed folder can also be passed via command line.
A Table Entry can be Run by a "Double-Click" on an entry, or selecting entry and pressing "Enter".
A home directory path is provided, and a menu of alternative paths can also be shown, where a path is passed using shortcuts.
A separate list of Sub-folders of the current folder can also be displayed and a selection made.
A filter for file selection based on extension is also provided, and two sort modes are available.
A folder Window can also be created from the displayed list.

If a shortcut to the program is pinned to the taskbar, numerous shortcuts can be available without taking space from  the taskbar.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 04:29 AM »
Twmailrec! Why haven't you been sharing your software with us more regularly!?

Why don't you start a new thread in the NANY 2017 section with a screenshot, and I'll add this as a late entry NANY.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 05:59 PM »
I noticed in earlier newsletters that an application: QuickJump 2016 by CJ Gingerich, was going to be submitted  in this year's N.A.N.Y. that failed to materialise by the finish.

I'm actually using quickjump 2016 quite regularly.  Was there something else that was supposed to be added?  I thought it was done.  Perhaps it's because you thought it was supposed to be for this year's NANY?  It was for last years.

https://www.donation....msg393759#msg393759

TimmyMouse

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 02:21 AM »

All of my apps are freely available on the Google Play Store here, or can be downloaded directly from their NANY forum threads below.

The two diet related Android apps that I wrote have a similar flavor, and are both attempts to come up with a minimalist approach to allowing you to have brief periods where you can pig out and eat whatever snacks you want, while ensuring you eat well most of the time.

The first is "Feast Day / Fast Day":

[ Invalid Attachment ]

To be honest, this is the app I am most excited about, just because it represents a unique diet experiment that I have not seen described anywhere else, and one that I have been using myself with some real success over the last couple of months.

Essentially the program cycles through 4 different modes on a schedule (you can adjust durations): Normal mode where you stick to your normal diet (default 5 days); Normal-ready mode, where you stick to your diet but you can trigger Feast mode when you are ready; Feast mode where you can pig out and eat whatever junk food you want for a short duration (default of 24hrs); Fast mode where you must fast immediately after Feast mode ends (default 24 hrs).  Modes are shown in big bright clear text, perfectly suitable for a tablet that is propped up in a room and always visible.

The idea of having a feast day followed immediately by a day of fasting really does seem to have solved what for me has always been the most difficult problem with having a "cheat" day on a diet, which is the intense cravings that follow eating any snacks.  The day of fasting seems to break the incipient cravings before they can establish a foothold, and the single day of cheating in isolation followed by a fast seems to minimize the weight gained.

I think different diets work better for different people, but the super simple rules and single degree of freedom (when to trigger feast mode) have worked really well for me.  I do believe the unique approach provided by this app may be valuable to others in helping lose weight while still allowing you occasional periods of pigging out (make sure you customize the mode durations to fit your needs).

I hope others will give it a try and let me know if it helps.

My second diet app, "Feast Decreaser",  has a similar look to my first -- with clear color coded large text displays showing you whether you are in Normal, Feast, or Restrictive eating modes.  It was inspired by a friend who uses a similar scheme to decide what kind of eating he can do on any given day.

[ Invalid Attachment ] [ Invalid Attachment ]

Whereas my first app uses a schedule to control what mode of eating you are allowed, in Feast Decreaser, the transitions between modes are governed by your current weight, which is always displayed on the main screen and which you can easily adjust.  You set target weights for the different modes, and the screen clearly shows what mode you are in on any given day, based on your current weight.

In addition, you can configure whether your target weights should decrease by a certain amount each day.  If you do wish to trigger "cheat days" with this app, doing so will also result in a lowering of your target weights, ensuring that you continually lose weight before you can earn subsequent cheat days.

This app is a bit stricter than the first one, and if you can stick to it, it will ensure that you lose weight, but it does make it harder to anticipate your eating schedule.

I'd be very curious to hear which apps work best for people!

Next up are a series of Android apps that use a common base of code that I wrote to help me create flexible listview-centric utilities.

The first is a Memo List app, "MemoList DC":

[ Invalid Attachment ]

This program does essentially what you would expect, let you create (text) memos and notes.

It has support for tabbed tag categories, widget support, multi-device synchronization, sorting (manual drag and drop ordering, alphabetical, by date), etc.

Next up is a checklist app, "CheckList DC":

[ Invalid Attachment ]

This is a fairly straightforward checklist app, again with support for tabbed tag categories, widget support, multi-device synchronization, sorting (manual drag and drop ordering, alphabetical, by date), etc.

OpLop For Windows is a simple opens ource GUI front end for the OpLop library that generates account passwords based on a nickname and a master password.

Thanks a lot, Admin. Such a huge collection. these are my fav, other i haven't tried yet :D

miva2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 07:20 AM »
Congratulations and many many thanks to everyone who participated in this NANY! ;D

I don't think there is anything I really need right now but there are some interesting entries for sure. (though I should lose some weight)
There are some I should keep in mind ;)

I just want to say I appreciate each and every one of you. Thanks!