topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it  (Read 730515 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it
« Reply #225 on: September 14, 2006, 05:02 AM »
Unfortunately, GridMove doesn't work well with my virtual desktop maanger - VirtuaWin: http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net

When I switch desktops, GirdMove automatically shows all the hidden windows and snaps them to place. Is there any way to work around this?
Sorry, but i couldn't get that behaviour on my computer.
Do you have the latest version of both gridmove and virtuawin?
Exactly in what situation does that occuor?

I am running (testing) a new version of gridmove which should be out in not much time, maybe it's related to that.
Let's see if it's fixed on the next release.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #226 on: September 14, 2006, 03:18 PM »
I have good news!

I now release GridCreator, so that you can play a bit with it before i release it with the next build of gridmove.

.ahk version
.exe version

(the instructions button still doesn't work, but it's simple to use. Just resize the window with only one button and press the button when you have it with the size you desire. Then, press save.)

reko100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Fry You!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2006, 09:32 PM »
I just started using this, and i must say this is a very useful app...good job :Thmbsup

Is there a way for the active window to snap to the next available element by using a shortcut?

e.g. I am using 2 parts of a 3-part grid, i open another window, i double-click MButton and the active window will snap to the third part.

Joe

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: September 15, 2006, 12:27 AM »
great to finally see grid creator, jgpaiva.

it would certainly be nice if the creation window 'snapped' to the edges of the screen - might it be possible so that after you click 'add trigger #' yet another 'creator' window opened so that you could position it alongside the 'creator' window you've just set up. of course, it would be useful if these 'creator' windows snapped to each other as well.

you could then keep adding 'creator' windows until you had your full grid set out on screen - all nicely lined up and snapped together.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: September 22, 2006, 01:26 PM »
GridMove is only supposed to work with the left mouse button if you click on the part of the title bar that actually has the title of the application, correct? When I click more to the right where there are no words, the grids do not appear. I believe this is normal functionality.
Yes, that's how it's supposed to work.

This is easiest seen if you disable "show window contents while dragging" in Windows so that you can see the original position of the title before you started dragging it.
Ok, now i see what you mean. This is a giant bug, i have moved it to the top of the todo list. Should be fixed asap!

I actually found out that it doesn't even matter where you first click, as long as it is in the window and you go over the Title, it will pop open the grids. I found that out by selecting text in notepad dragging from the bottom up and going over the title of "Untitled - Notepad"

termipeitto

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2006, 12:41 PM »
I'd like to keep the left mouse button dragging as normal and use the middle mouse button to operate GridMove. But if I enable the MButton Drag-option in GridMove, it detects the press of the middle button anywhere in a window, not just from the title bar like it does with the left button. So I can't scroll long texts or websites using the middle button.

So could you add an option to restrict the middle button dragging to the title bar?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 01:01 PM by termipeitto »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: October 04, 2006, 07:59 PM »
I updated gridmove just now. Current version is v1.19.22.

Changes:
 - bug mentioned in latest posts is now fixed.
 - added more elements to the edge grid (including one with a "minimize" run element)
 - added RunDemo.grid, which is a grid with 2 elements: one for storing the current window position and another one for retrieving the stored position.

http://jgpaiva.dcmem...rs.com/gridmove.html

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: October 04, 2006, 08:01 PM »
So I can't scroll long texts or websites using the middle button.

So could you add an option to restrict the middle button dragging to the title bar?
Actually, the default behaviour of windows doesn't interfeer with gridmove. If you'l like to scroll a big document, you can just press and release the middle mouse button and the 4 arrows will come up, then you just drag it up or down. The MButton method only becomes active if you press the middle mouse button and drag the mouse without releasing the button. This means that if you do a "click" with mbutton, gridmove won't interfeer.

termipeitto

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: October 05, 2006, 01:36 PM »
So I can't scroll long texts or websites using the middle button.

Actually, the default behaviour of windows doesn't interfeer with gridmove. If you'l like to scroll a big document, you can just press and release the middle mouse button and the 4 arrows will come up, then you just drag it up or down. The MButton method only becomes active if you press the middle mouse button and drag the mouse without releasing the button. This means that if you do a "click" with mbutton, gridmove won't interfeer.
I have noticed that myself too. But dragging with the mbutton (instead of just clicking) has just become a habit to me, so naturally I would like to continue doing that. Another reason for my suggestion is that I'd like to keep GridMove quite unnoticeable on the computer, because I'm not the only one using it. The others don't use computer that much and they'd just be confused if the windows will start acting weird. And there's no point teaching them how to use GridMove because they don't need it and would just forget and be confused again. (I know I could make more user accounts and not put GridMove running on them but so far it has been easiest to have just one account for all.)

So this may not seem like a big problem to you but it's pretty much preventing me from using it. It's still a great application and I thank you for making it. I'll sure use it on my laptop because I'm the only one using it (I won't use the mbutton though  :)).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: October 08, 2006, 03:43 AM »
is there a bug with the latest version of gridmove - or is it just something to do with my system?

when i use the 'restore' grid, my windows correctly restore to the right size but they are not restored to their original position - instead, the window remains at the age of the screen.

to be more precise: this only happens when using the 'edge drag' method. i have to confess that perhaps this has always been a problem with the 'edge drag' method as i've only just tried using the 'restore' grid with it.

any thoughts, jgpaiva?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: October 08, 2006, 06:13 AM »
I know what this problem is.
GridMove stores the window state before moving it. But, using the edge trigger, the trigger is only activated when the window is at the edge of the screen, so, that's the position in what it's stored. I'm not quite sure how i can solve that.
But you mentioned it's new to this version, would you please describe to me what it did in prior versions?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: October 08, 2006, 07:13 AM »
well, unfortunately, i don't know what it did in previous versions because i never used a grid with the 'restore' zone built into it - so, i'd guess that it would have worked exactly like you say.

i'll forget about the restore feature - i understand now why you've made it the way it is. i'll just use a specified central window size that i can 'restore' windows to instead of actually 'restoring' them.

no worries.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: October 09, 2006, 03:31 PM »
not sure if you could do this but i was wondering if you could get around the 'restore' problem mentioned above by 'forcing' the restored window to center in the screen.

so, it would get it's restore size correct but instead of sticking to the edges of the screen it would jump to the center.

i'm hoping it might be possible as my work around fixed size 'restore' method isn't anywhere near as good the true restore that works normally.

OR,

to make even more impossible demands: would it be possible so that after the restore function has taken place - at the edges of the screen - the mouse cursor locks onto the titlebar so that you can drag the window to a better screen position?

i know, i know, why ask for such things. i just feel it would return the 'flowing' nature of how the program works - with less clicks of the mouse and kind of intelligent, useful automation in moving windows about.

edit:

ignore me, i'm just being picky.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 03:51 PM by nudone »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: October 10, 2006, 03:35 PM »
just had another idea:

(might not be really related to gridmove but i'll make the suggestion here anyway.)

would it be possible to resize a window by left clicking (and holding) on the titlebar and then rolling the mouse wheel either up or down.

this is similar to how a few graphics programs 'zoom' in and out of an image, i.e. by using the scroll wheel on the mouse, sometimes with the addition of holding a key down at the same time.

it's just a thought.

thanks.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2006, 07:01 PM »
Ok... The "restore" + EdgeDrag should now be fixed!  :Thmbsup:

Please download the attached .exe for the most recent version. Haven't put it in the site because it hasn't been fully tested, and i had to change a whole bunch of stuff. Given the advanced hour, it's most possible that there are some bugs.

I've played with it for a bit, and it looks a bit more responsive (hopefully ;) ), the restore seems to work properly (when using the edge method, it restores to the point where the person grabed the window before moving it to the edge), and, most of all, the code got some important structure, which hopefully will make further updates easier. Let's hope so ;)

Now... I expect feedback :D

(sorry, no .zip file because i'm sleepy and it'd take forever to upload)

[edit]Wrong file, please download from the following post: https://www.donation...24.msg40270#msg40270 [/Edit]
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 04:02 AM by jgpaiva »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: October 13, 2006, 01:57 AM »
thanks.

it is doing something different, jgpaiva.

the restore function is making the window move to the right position vertically but it's remaing at the edge of the screen, so no change with the horizontal positioning.

? it might be because of the grid i'm using so i've included it here.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2006, 02:30 AM »
if you have the time for it, jgpaiva, then rather than trying to fix the restore problem, could you perhaps try implementing this workaround idea...

instead of the window correctly restoring to its original position, instead, could it move its title bar so that it was positioned under the mouse cursor.

in other words. you move the window to the 'restore' zone. the window changes size to the correct 'restore' size. the window then positions itself so that the titlebar rests under the mouse cursor - the mouse cursor will be somewhere inside the 'restore' zone area, of course.

this way it's just a case of dragging the titlebar/window back to the position on screen that you would like it to be.

like i mentioned before, i'm quite happy with how things are working at the moment anyway. these are just ideas.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2006, 03:57 AM »
Sorry... I made a huge mistake, i uploaded the previous (not-updated) version again, that's why it isn't working.. Please download the one attached to this post (i will remove the other one)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 04:00 AM by jgpaiva »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2006, 04:13 AM »
FANTASTIC.

that works perfectly. many thanks, jgpaiva.

i'll let you know if there are any 'bugs'.

AxCrusik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #244 on: October 25, 2006, 12:05 PM »
Wow! This is the most useful program ever! I have been looking for something like this for a long time and I was starting to think that a program like this does not exist.
I am having some trouble getting the gridcreator to work though. I would really appretiate it if someone could make me a custom grid. I have been trying to make a grid that has large triggers in each of the corners and triggers between each of them on each side of the screen (like the edgegrid template but with bigger corner triggers and thicker edge triggers. I want the corner triggers to snap the window to the same quarter of the screen as the trigger. I want the top and bottom edge triggers to snap the window to the to half and bottom half of the screen respectively. I want the left and right edge triggers to snap the window to the left and right half of the screen respectively.
Thanks to anyone who can help me out. It doesn't seem like this should be to difficult but every time I try to set this up in grid creator, only about half of the triggers actually work when I load the grid.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #245 on: October 25, 2006, 01:32 PM »
if you draw the grid you are describing on a bit of paper and scan it in - and upload it here - then i'll have a go at your grid when i get a few free moments.

AxCrusik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #246 on: October 25, 2006, 06:01 PM »
The grid I have in mind is too confusing to draw on one page so I broke it down into layers. It might seem complicated at first but once you understand how it works it is actually quite simple. There are 8 triggers (think of tic tac toe without the middle square). The four corner ones snap the window to that corner of the screen. There are four side triggers and they snap the window to that side (half) of the screen. Here are some images. I hope they help. Thanks again for trying to help me with this.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #247 on: October 25, 2006, 07:25 PM »
Ok, i hope this is what you're looking for! (with support to up to 3 monitors :) )

(see attached file)

AxCrusik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #248 on: October 25, 2006, 07:37 PM »
You are remarkable! That is exactly what I wanted. You should think about making that design a default template (or think about incorporating it into the edge grid template. Thanks very much!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #249 on: October 26, 2006, 03:44 AM »
You had a goo idea, that grid is very well thought. Yes, i'm thinking about packing it with the next version of gridmove, as an extra .grid file ;)
Thank you  :Thmbsup: