topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it  (Read 730524 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2006, 02:44 PM »
i'm just playing around making a few test.grid files and i have to ask is there a quick way of refreshing 'gridmove' so i don't have to keep loading the .grid file in again after i've made a slight edit.

if there isn't a quick way of refreshing gridmove, can we please have one soon, jgpaiva - a keyboard shortcut would be nice when in 'testing' mode so that you don't have to keep going to the menu and selecting 'refresh' from there (assuming it could be done).

thanks.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2006, 02:56 PM »
can we also have it so that user .grid files can be part of the selection when you right click to change the grid layout - even if it means having to put the .grid files in a specific folder that gridmove knows the path to.

(i don't mean in gridmove's tray menu - i mean the quick right click grid switch method.)

thanks again.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2006, 03:01 PM »
back again.

when creating user .grid files it would also be nice to be able to include the 'restore' and 'ontop' trigger zones (i don't know the code for these but i suppose i could hunt it down).

thanks again, again.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2006, 03:08 PM »
i'm just playing around making a few test.grid files and i have to ask is there a quick way of refreshing 'gridmove' so i don't have to keep loading the .grid file in again after i've made a slight edit.
It's already there, press win+g then press R. It'll reload gridmove.

I think you had a good idea, if the person right-clicks, it'll change to the next grid but if the person keeps pressing it for a bit, a menu will come up with the .grid files in gridmove's directory. You think that works?
I'll see what i can do.

ps: to get restore and ontop working on a custom grid, just make all the elements on the "grid" part be "restore" or "AlwaysOnTop", respectivelly.
i.e.:
1gridtop = restore
1gridbottom = restore
1gridleft = restore
1gridright = restore

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2006, 03:12 PM »
Hi there!
I'm glad that you are suggesting new names for the program :D

Josh: thanks for the screencast!
I noticed it's quie weird, though. This means i need your full specs, to try to trace the bug. Tell me, normally the command is on the right of your screen or did it happen only on the screencast? (did you change your resolution or are you using some function of the screencast program?)
I also noticed the grid is all messed up :S

Intel P4 Dual Core 3.2, 2048MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 6800, Windows XP MCE 2005. All that happens is a resolution change (and as you see in the screencast, I do manually reselect the 4 grid option). What else do you need?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #155 on: July 23, 2006, 03:22 PM »
er, yep, i'm still here.

just a quick suggestion - those 'restore', 'ontop', 'maximise' trigger zones would be easier to use if they were nearer the top of the screen. this way they would be nearer to the titlebar of the window, so less distance to drag.

(sidenote: 'studies' have found that buttons/menus and GUI stuff is easier to access when placed at the upper parts of the screen rather than at the bottom of the screen - we're talking mouse usability. hence menus always being at the top except for microsoft deciding to stick the taskbar at the bottom.)

as for the user .grid file right click selection - i'll probably only use my own .grid files with gridmove - probably only have 2 or 3 different grids, but it would be nice to be able to swap between them quickly so however that can be done i'd be over the moon.

i'll try the new version now.

thanks once again.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2006, 03:24 PM »
i might well be talking rubbish when saying i'll have 2 or 3 grids files - i will probably just create one super grid that does everything - it will make more sense.

cool, how the restore, etc trigger is so easy to include - i like that. good thinking when you made it.

oh yeah, the reload feature is cool too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 03:27 PM by nudone »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2006, 01:00 AM »
would it be possible to assign shortcut keys for enabling/disabling the different 'modes': Lbutton, Mbutton, edge drag?

might also be a nice cosmetic improvement if when you use the 'ontop' trigger their is a visual cue, i.e. the word 'ontop' appears on screen - maybe.

on the point of visual cues - is it possible to make the letters/numbers that do appear on screen to be more visible - like with a background or border around them as they can be difficult to read sometimes.

thanks.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 01:15 AM by nudone »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2006, 01:26 AM »
i can't quite remember if you said this wasn't possible to do?..

can the 'trigger zones' be made to be more visible. at the moment they are transparent with a white border. could they be something like semi transparent with a white border - rather like the 'resize zones' appear.

i say this as i'm creating a grid that behaves more like a screen full of large buttons (trigger zones) but it can be difficult to identify exactly which 'trigger zone' you are moving across/into - i'm also making matters worse by leaving areas of the screen without a 'trigger zone', i.e. just a blank area. i don't have to do it that way so that's my own fault but it would certainly be nice if the 'trigger' areas were more visible. what i'm asking/hoping for would only make sense if the 'trigger' area under the mouse cursor temporarily become more prominent/visible as the cursor passed over it.

i really hope this is possible.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2006, 01:58 AM »
just found a 'bug' with the use of ontop windows and the 'trigger' grid.

a window that is 'alwaysontop' prevents the grid from appearing above it - hope that's not a complicated thing to fix.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2006, 02:08 AM »
just realised another thing - at the moment the keyboard shortcuts only work with the grid numbers - could we also have shortcut keys assigned to the 'ontop' and 'restore' triggers - maybe use the 'space' and 'enter' keys???

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2006, 05:31 AM »
Intel P4 Dual Core 3.2, 2048MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 6800, Windows XP MCE 2005. All that happens is a resolution change (and as you see in the screencast, I do manually reselect the 4 grid option). What else do you need?
I think i know what the problem is (at least, i hope so ;) ). Did you start gridmove before changing the resolution?
The screen sizes are only calculated once, at the start of the script. So, if you start gridmove before you change the resolution, it'll be all messed up.
I'm not sure if that's the problem, but please try starting it after the resolution change, or reload it after the resolution change.
The specs i was looking for were moore like number of screens and resolution of each of them ;)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2006, 05:45 AM »
@nudone:
Notice that on the right-click swap, you can customize the grid order to include .grid files on the same directory as gridmove.exe. Just append ",nameofthefile.grid" to that list.

Oh, i'd forgotten about those. On prior versions, there were shortcuts to enable/disable the interaction methods but i removed those as i thought they weren't that useful.
I already tried to have a background on the numbers, as i've found the exact same problem you did. I didn't have much luck, though. I guess i'll have to try to find another way of doing it ;)

I see what you mean by having the trigger zones have the transparent background like the highlight does.That's a good point, i hope i can do it, i also think it's a big improvement.

AhAh... The ontop bug... That had happened to me. it's a damn weird bug, it shouldn't occuor. I had already looked into but couldn't find a solution for it. That's a damn hard one, i think.

Good point about adding the other options to the keyboard shortcuts. I think i need to revise the way those work, because having a lot of shurtcuts made out of single keys will become complex as there already are a bunch of options. I think most probably the non-numeric options will be changed into typing part of the name of the option (as some options have the same start (reload / restore)).

Unfortunatelly, i have bad news. On my latest post, i mentioned i had the command working on drop zone mode, but i didn't test it as i should. It can't be done like i did, which means it isn't working.
I'll now upload the version i did before, that uses a different syntax for the .grid files.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #163 on: July 27, 2006, 01:26 PM »
here's my first 'super grid' if anyone would like to try it.

it's probably going too far for most people - i'm trying to cover almost every window size whilst still retaining some kind of visual cue as to what you will get from a trigger zone.

i tried to do a screengrab so that you'd get an idea of the grid zone layout but i couldn't get anything to do the grab (printscreen won't do it).

i hope someone finds it useful - or even a grid file to modify.

i'll upload a screen edge trigger version (or something similar) when i've made one.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #164 on: July 27, 2006, 02:48 PM »
just a quick request, jgpaiva. can we have an option to turn off the right mouse click that loads in the next grid layout.

i keep accidently making a right click and then having to load in my .grid file from the menu to get things working.

(i think my right click finger has a mind of its own.)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2006, 03:05 PM »
 ;D ;D Cool grid!
I notice that you really really miss the grids using the mouse position. I hope i'll be able to get what working some day.

No need to disable the right-click to switch grids, you only have to change the grid order to only include your grid ;)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2006, 04:58 PM »
i don't seem to be able to do anything that stops the right mouse click messing things up.

i browse to the .grid file i've made - which is in the 'gridmove' folder i'm running 'gridmove' from.

and then i have this in the grid cycle config box...

grid cycle config.jpg

everything works okay until i accidently right click whilst in the grid view mode - then i have to reload the .grid file back in because nothing works at all.

it doesn't seem to make any difference whether there is anything in the grid cycle config box.

any ideas?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2006, 04:45 AM »
There might be a bug there, i need to look into it.
Nevertheless, if you write:
nud super grid 01.grid,
It works (notice the comma at the end and not in the beggining. that's where the bug is).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2006, 04:58 AM »
great, i'll try that when i get home. thanks.  :Thmbsup:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2006, 03:17 PM »
There might be a bug there, i need to look into it.
Nevertheless, if you write:
nud super grid 01.grid,
It works (notice the comma at the end and not in the beggining. that's where the bug is).

hehe, thanks. it does indeed work. time to make another .grid file...

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2006, 01:58 AM »
just a slight addition to the super grid - i've added zones for left one third across by half screen up/down.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2006, 04:03 AM »
i've noticed that gridmove has started to lose the ability to appear 'on top' of the windows that are open - i know this bug was reported before - just thought i'd mention it as i hadn't encountered it before.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #172 on: July 29, 2006, 10:43 AM »
Ok, a new update!

The ontop bug should be fixed now, it looks like it's working.
The program is now more responsive, due to changing the inner workings a bit. The titledrag method now works on windows other than the active one too. (on prior versions, you had to first select the window and then drag the title).

Also added a tooltip helper which comes up on the first run of gridmove.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2006, 11:06 AM »
nice job, jgpaiva.

it does look more responsive and i've not seen any 'on top' problems yet.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2006, 11:42 AM »
i seem to have found a new bug.

normal window resizing, i.e. using the mouse to drag the edges of a window, now appears to be slightly broken when gridmove is running.

it doesn't seem to matter which grid is being used (i thought it might have been something to do with the one i made).

this is what tends to happen:

begin dragging a window edge to change the size of the window and the mouse cursor will either lose a 'grip' on the edge (or corner) of the window. or, the window that is being resized will jump behind the windows underneath it.

???

i'm confident in saying this only happened with the latest version. unfortunately i don't have the previous version now to test.