topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Program to track all domains/IP addresses a program connects too.  (Read 3578 times)

ibay770

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Something like the DNS requests feature in the Adaway app for android. I know there is wireshark but thats too bulky, it logs everything and all I want is to track which domains a program (chrome for example) connects too so I can block the tracking with a hosts file like someone did with Edge.

https://www.reddit.c...acking_in_microsoft/
Thanks in advance.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Program to track all domains/IP addresses a program connects too.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 06:52 PM »
Something like the DNS requests feature in the Adaway app for android. I know there is wireshark but thats too bulky, it logs everything and all I want is to track which domains a program (chrome for example) connects too so I can block the tracking with a hosts file like someone did with Edge.

https://www.reddit.c...acking_in_microsoft/
Thanks in advance.

While computers are pretty fast nowadays, the parsing of a large HOST file isn't that much of a deal as it once was. But still, if you can prevent having such a file, do so. It is better to have a (separate) computer running a DNS server, where you put the entries that you would fill your HOST file up with.
Then you point any and every device in your house to use that DNS server instead of what you have setup now.

Much easier on the resources in each device, more efficient as a wholesome solution too.

For example, I have an OPNSense router. This is a firewall with a DNS server built-in. A 10+ year old PC I had lying around was used for that software. I added an Intel NIC with 4 Ethernet ports to this computer, because I get internet via 2 different providers (and technologies), so I use 3 of those ports.

This computer barely gets out of its 'idle' state, doing all the routing, firewalling and DNS'ing. Setting it up was involved, as I needed to address many situational quirks in the network. The software itself is easy enough. Once it was setup, it barely needs any maintenance, besides physically cleaning it every 6 months or so.

All devices in my network use this router, my internal DNS server is set as default option and I reduced the amount of maintaining blocklists to one single device, the router. When you see how little maintenance work this is (after setting it up once), you'll wonder why you yourself went without for so long.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 08:43 PM »
Maybe I misunderstand, if so - I feel sorry, on Windows you can download for free TCPView from SysInternals/MicroSoft.
That shows you pretty easy an overview of all processes and the domains they are connected with.
Anyway, every major Firewall support such feature including block (App/Domain).

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 04:50 PM »
I am curious what you ended up doing?   I have been meaning to look into programs that help determine what applications are contacting what IP addresses to keep tabs on what programs are "phoning" home and elsewhere.

Here are the programs I have on my radar to check out. 
(Edit: Looks like the links did not paste)

Traffic monitoring

TcpLogView - Creates TCP connections log from Nirsoftr
TCPView for Windows - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn (as mentioned
Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4
and wireshark

Windows Filtering Platform

Simple Wall (uses windows filtering platform)
GitHub - henrypp/simplewall: Simple tool to configure Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) which can configure network activity on your computer.

Firewall

Firewall App Blocker (Fab) v1.9  Apparently good at blocking  programs)
TinyWall - A free, lightweight and non-intrusive firewall (can work along side other firewalls)

NetLimiter - Features
Windows 10 Firewall Control: Sphinx Software

Hostfile managing
BlueLife Hosts Editor v1.5
HostsMan ยท abelhadigital.com