topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it  (Read 730396 times)

spyda

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it
« Reply #250 on: October 26, 2006, 07:24 AM »
Congratulations jgpaiva on producing an ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC piece of software!

I recently bought my other half a new laptop which had Acer's Gridvista incorporated. I was impressed by it and decided to give it a go but soon found the limitations far too limiting. That's when I set about looking for an alternative and this is definintely it! Wait till she see's it installed on my lappy! :-p

I have a request if I may ... and it's related to AxCrusik's template request.

This template does almost everything I want it too, and I agree it would be a very useful inclusion in future releases of this s/ware.

However, I would love to see a slight change (if it is possible), and it's a little tricky but I will try and explain.

I would like to see this template combined with the 3-part grid template. The trigger square in the middle would be divided into two so that the right half causes the dragged window to be placed in boxes 2,3,5,6 and 7 and the middle zone so that you end up with 3 zones down the left and one large one on the right. Similarly, dragging to the left half of the middle square would cause the dragged window to be displayed on the left of the screen in zones 1,4,5,7 and 8 and the middle zone so that you see one large window on the left and three down the right side.

Ideally, in each scenario I would have only two zones on either the left or the right rather than three (as with the 3-part grid) but I am not sure if this is possible?

I tried using just the AxCrusik and 3-part grid templates and cycling through using the right mouse click but when I came to order the grids, the AxCrusik one did not show when cycling. In any case, I would prefer to have the two grids combined in one if at all possible (and make use of that space in the middle of the screen at the same time).

Again, a fantastic piece of software. A template such as the above would make it JUST what I am after!

Many thanks jgpaiva, and to AxCrusik for the template design!

spyda

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2006, 05:41 AM »
This little 'challenge' is of course open to anybody ;-)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2006, 11:01 AM »
:) spyda
Thank you for your kind words. It makes me very happy when i find someone that likes my software!
Unfortunatelly, i can't help you right now with making a new grid. I'm pretty busy with school and at possibly i won't be able to update anything untill the end of the next week.
You could try to learn how to do them (there's a how-to somewhere on this thread, a few pages ago, and there are a bunch of custom grids made already), or if you don't get any answers from anyone, remember me during the next week ;)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #253 on: October 28, 2006, 06:34 AM »
i've just had an idea that i think is gridmove related. it could be a new app but i think it could be a useful feature for gridmove - maybe the next step. see what you think, jgpaiva...

rather than moving the windows so that they 'snap' into predefined grids by first moving them to trigger 'zones' how about this - as an EXTRA feature:

1. you have a few program windows open - currently visible on your desktop. some larger than others, the user has just moved them around a bit so that they can see enough of the contents of each window as they need to.

2. the user then hits a hotkey combination - or selects from a menu - or maybe uses some kind of trigger zone to drag a title bar into.

3. the program windows that are currently visible then automatically resize themselves so that they try to maximise their area without overlapping another program window. each window tries to maintain the same kind of percentage/ratio of screen area that they had, whilst going through the the auto resize process.

so. the idea is: you set your windows out in a quick 'rough' layout with gaps in between them (so you can see the desktop through the gaps), then you hit the hotkey (or whatever) and the windows automatically resize themselves so that they try to close the gaps between each other - hiding the desktop below.

i hope you like the idea, i have no idea if it would be simple or a nightmare to implement. it appeals to me because if it worked well it would actually remove the need to have predefined grids (though these would still be useful). the grid would, in effect, be created on the fly to accommodate the current program windows that were open.

if possible then overlapping windows would also be capable of being 'intelligently' resized and moved. you could (hopefully) just open a could of windows move one the the left and one to the right of the screen - hit the hotkey and the two windows would stay on their respective sides of the screen but maximise their area.

i know that windows operating systems will already tile horizontally and vertically any windows that are visible but it won't try to lay windows out in a patchwork grid like display - it can only tile across or down.

any thoughts?

bugmenot

« Reply #254 on: November 15, 2006, 09:24 PM »
I am not able to get GridMove to work! The first time I run it, the program freezes after I click "OK" on the info box about tooltips. The .ini file is created and so is an empty plugins directory. When I run the script after windows kills it, I get the GridMove tray icon. However it is not clickable and none of the functions of GridMove work. Same thing happens after deleting the newly created files.

I am running the latest version of GridMove on Windows XP. I also have the latest version of AutoHotkey. I'd love to use GridMove if I could!

ejunker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #255 on: November 17, 2006, 02:40 PM »
This is a great app! I've been looking for something like this ever since I got my new 19" widescreen LCD.

I can't seem to get GridMove to work with PuTTY SSH windows. They get moved but not resized. Does anybody else have this problem with PuTTY windows? I'm stuck using Acer GridVista until I can get GridMove to work with PuTTY windows.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #256 on: November 20, 2006, 04:54 AM »
I am not able to get GridMove to work! The first time I run it, the program freezes after I click "OK" on the info box about tooltips. The .ini file is created and so is an empty plugins directory. When I run the script after windows kills it, I get the GridMove tray icon. However it is not clickable and none of the functions of GridMove work. Same thing happens after deleting the newly created files.

I am running the latest version of GridMove on Windows XP. I also have the latest version of AutoHotkey. I'd love to use GridMove if I could!

That's very weird. Never happened to me. Maybe the best thing to do is delete gridmove and it's folder, and try the last release which is available at this post.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #257 on: November 20, 2006, 04:58 AM »
I can't seem to get GridMove to work with PuTTY SSH windows. They get moved but not resized. Does anybody else have this problem with PuTTY windows? I'm stuck using Acer GridVista until I can get GridMove to work with PuTTY windows.
I can confirm what you mentioned. GridMove can't move putty windows. I'm sorry, but it appears that there's no way to do this. You see, this must be a problem with the way that putty creates its windows, and makes ahk (the scripting language in which gridmove is coded) unnable to resize them.  It's a weird behaviour, and i can see your problem, when i'm using linux, i always miss GridMove to resize the console windows.

bugmenot

« Reply #258 on: November 30, 2006, 12:02 PM »

That's very weird. Never happened to me. Maybe the best thing to do is delete gridmove and it's folder, and try the last release which is available at this post.

It didn't work. What other information could I give you? I don't think I've had a problem with any other AHK scripts. Darn :( I'm really looking forward to using this!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #259 on: November 30, 2006, 08:09 PM »
It didn't work. What other information could I give you? I don't think I've had a problem with any other AHK scripts. Darn :( I'm really looking forward to using this!
That doesn't make any sense.. :(
Tell me something: the program only freezes when after you click OK on the first box? Can you close the about box before clicking OK?

Maybe it's related to the helper function. To get rid of it, please put the file i attached to this post in gridmove's folder before you start it. (notice that this has my configurations and not the standard ones, you might not like them ;) ).

bugmenot

« Reply #260 on: December 05, 2006, 10:40 AM »
That doesn't make any sense.. :(
Tell me something: the program only freezes when after you click OK on the first box? Can you close the about box before clicking OK?

Maybe it's related to the helper function. To get rid of it, please put the file i attached to this post in gridmove's folder before you start it. (notice that this has my configurations and not the standard ones, you might not like them ;) ).

Yes, on the initial run, the program only freezes when I click OK on the first box (about the tooltips). I am able to switch to the window under it and do stuff (including close that window), but as soon as I click OK on the info box on tooltips, the program freezes. On subsequent runs, even after replacing the config file, the program does not function. Also, the tray icon does not react to clicks (right, left).

Deleting the ini file restarts the whole process.

:-[ On a side note, I hope I'm not making your project an annoyance rather than something fun.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #261 on: December 11, 2006, 11:55 AM »

This sounds like the same problem I've had with Skrommel's TakeAbreak - Forum Topic TakeABreak should be named "j00 Got Pwned!"

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #262 on: December 11, 2006, 01:16 PM »
That's a very good point, Deozaan...
Would it be something with AHK?
Maybe i should investigate this further.. thanks for the tip ;)

dot1910

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #263 on: December 30, 2006, 10:09 AM »

I am running the latest version of GridMove on Windows XP. I also have the
I was having the same problem before I check the "Turn off advanced text services for this program"[right click the GridMove.exe and goto Compatibility tab]
Now I am using GridMove and like it a lot.  :-*

Thank you jgpaiva.  :Thmbsup:
HIH! bugmenot  ;D

Mandork

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Hopeless or hapless?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #264 on: January 02, 2007, 06:07 PM »
>>I am not able to get GridMove to work! The first time I run it, the program freezes after I click "OK" on the info box about tooltips. The .ini file is created and so is an empty plugins directory. When I run the script after windows kills it, I get the GridMove tray icon. However it is not clickable and none of the functions of GridMove work. Same thing happens after deleting the newly created files.

>>I was having the same problem before I check the "Turn off advanced text services for this program"[right click the GridMove.exe and goto Compatibility tab]

Just wanted to say that I was having the same problem, and the above solution also worked for me.  I just found this collection of things today via Lifehacker, and it's pretty cool stuff!
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
Pablo Picasso

toddm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #265 on: January 06, 2007, 03:35 PM »
I've got a suggestion that would add more functionality to GridMove without changing the nice, clean interface.

It would be nice if GridMove could remember what windows have been snapped to a specific grid section and if the resolution is changed the windows are realigned automatically.  This would be useful when using remote desktop from computers having various resolutions.  Ideally it would remember the grid a window has been assigned to in addition to the section.

I frequently remote desktop from my laptop to my desktop and because the resolution on the laptop is smaller my window size and location changes.  It's an annoyance I think GridMove could solve with a little work.

Thanks.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #266 on: January 11, 2007, 05:20 PM »
Guess what?
GridMove was updated.
It was essentially a bug fix over the version posted here:
  • Fixed bug where passing with the mouse over the activation area with the mouse button pressed would trigger GridMove.
  • Fixed bug that would make templates menu load with incorrect information.
  • Fixed bug that was making GridMove take years to come up when it was a sleep for some time.
  • Removed the "browse..." option. Please just put the .grid file in the \grids folder.
  • Added a new grid ( this one)
So... Go download it! http://jgpaiva.dcmem...rs.com/gridmove.html

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #267 on: January 11, 2007, 05:24 PM »
I'm really scared about this problem with having to select the "Turn off advanced text services for this program". But there's no mention at the forum of autohotkeys about that. I hope it gets fixed, tough.

toddm: i'm sorry, i'm not sure about what you mean. Do you have GridMove on both computers? or having it on the host computer is enough? I'm not sure how it could detect the resolution you have when you're remote desktoping

toddm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #268 on: January 11, 2007, 08:18 PM »
jgpaiva, GridMove would only need to be on the host computer and I don't think it would need to know anything about the remote computer.  A simpler example is just changing resolution on the computer.  It would be nice if all windows that had been snapped to a grid are automatically snapped to the resized grid.

Does that make more sense?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #269 on: January 12, 2007, 08:48 AM »
toddm: I see what you mean. GridMove really doesn't behave very well on resolution changes. Maybe i should have it monitor if the resolution has changed, in order to avoid that kind of problems.
For now, the best solution for you is, when you use remote desktop, to press Win+g followed by 'r'. That'll reload GridMove and it'll re-read the size of the monitor.

toddm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #270 on: January 13, 2007, 08:53 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the keyboard shortcuts.

singx7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2007, 08:56 AM »
Its a great software!

I like the 3-part grid. But can you please make another 3-part grid for me?
The region size (1, 2, 3) is just same as the original 3-part grid, but the location is moved as show in "grid_1.JPG". And "grid_2.JPG" shows that the region 2 and 3 combined together. Can these work in one ".grid" file?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2007, 09:14 AM »
singx7:
I attached the grid you asked to this post. It's exactly like 3-part grid but reversed.
You can just put it in your /grids folder and load it through the templates menu on the tray icon.
I didn't understand the second part of your request, though.. Would you like to have another grid like that "grid2" you posted?

[edit]There was an error in the grid. Now fixed[/edit]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 06:33 AM by jgpaiva »

singx7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2007, 07:19 PM »
singx7:
I attached the grid you asked to this post. It's exactly like 3-part grid but reversed.
You can just put it in your /grids folder and load it through the templates menu on the tray icon.
I didn't understand the second part of your request, though.. Would you like to have another grid like that "grid2" you posted?

Thanks for your works!
But when I try the 3-Part Reverse, it seems not work as I thought. The "3" Region's size is not same as the original 3-Part grid. I have attached the captured screen for your reference.

I have attached another "grid_2.JPG" for my explanation. The window size for Region 1-3 is just same as the original 3-Part grid. But When the mouse go to Region 4, the window size will be the total of Region 2 and 3.

dziacial

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #274 on: January 16, 2007, 07:37 PM »
Is it possible to place axcrusik_s_grid into "grid order"?