topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it  (Read 730594 times)

biosmonkey

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it
« Reply #350 on: July 25, 2007, 02:51 PM »
I just found this program, very nice for my cluttered desktop.  But now I want to make my own grids...

I must be dense, but I don't understand the geometry of the template files.  What is the difference between MonitorxRight and MonitorxWidth, and likewise, the difference between MonitorxBottom and MonitorxHeight?

If I run dual monitors at 1600x1200, I am assuming the following:

[Monitor1Top] = 0
[Monitor1Left] = 0
[Monitor1Bottom] =1200
[Monitor1Right] =1600
[Monitor1Width] =1600
[Monitor1Height] = 1200

and the same for Monitor 2.  Is this correct?

I run the second display as an extension of the desktop.  Is there ever a situation where Monitor1 represents more than one physical monitor, or is it ALWAYS the primary display?  Same question for the dimensions...is there ever a situation where Monitor1 width would span more than the resolution of the first physical display?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 02:54 PM by biosmonkey »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #351 on: July 25, 2007, 03:10 PM »
The reason for existance of those variables is that those numbers are variable from computer to computer (depending on the resolution), and variable depending on your monitor setup.

Monitor1, is always the primary monitor. Thus, its Top and Left are always zero.Its Right and Bottom are always equal to Left+Width and Top+Height, respectivelly.

BUT, on monitor 2, things don't work like that. That's because Monitor2 is placed on a relative position to Monitor1.
In your case, with 2 monitors, if you have Monitor2 on the right, the Left will be 1601, or.. Monitor1Top + Monitor1Width + 1. The Top will be the same as Monitor1, 0.
If you have it on the left, its left would be -1601, because it'd be Monitor1Top - Monitor1Width -1. The Top would remain the same.

You can now imagine how things can get messy if you'd have 2 monitors with different resolutions, and not horizontally aligned (like i do ;) ).

The idea behind having grids defined like this is that you don't have to do this math, GridMove does it for you. Also, if you use those variables, you can share your grids with others, because it isn't hardcoded for your resolution.

PS: to better understand what i mean, please try doing the following procedure:
Go to "Display Properties" -> Settings tab, then, just click and drag one of the monitors. That allows you to get them on the left, on the right, on top, bottom or even "southwest", "southeast", etc

biosmonkey

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #352 on: July 26, 2007, 02:13 PM »
OK thanks.  I sort of figured things out after tinkering with a couple of new grids.  So it would seem that any formula involving width or height should always have the left and top variables in the formula to establish a baseline offset?

I have more questions:

1) I am having trouble with template cycling.  I created two templates, and placed them in the cycle order, but when I right click to cycle to the next one nothing happens.  The grid goes away, and it seems like gridmove deactivates.   If I then go into the template list, nothing is checked (which explains why nothing happens). 

I assumed this feature would cycle between all listed templates with each right click (and roll around). Note that both templates work if checked individually.

2) The help for that dialog (template cycling) refers to a specific list of templates that are available.  Does this mean only these can be cycled?

3) Why do the items in the list have a comma before and after the list?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #353 on: July 26, 2007, 02:27 PM »
OK thanks.  I sort of figured things out after tinkering with a couple of new grids.  So it would seem that any formula involving width or height should always have the left and top variables in the formula to establish a baseline offset?
Yep, that's exactly it.

1) I am having trouble with template cycling.  I created two templates, and placed them in the cycle order, but when I right click to cycle to the next one nothing happens.  The grid goes away, and it seems like gridmove deactivates.   If I then go into the template list, nothing is checked (which explains why nothing happens). 

I assumed this feature would cycle between all listed templates with each right click (and roll around). Note that both templates work if checked individually.

2) The help for that dialog (template cycling) refers to a specific list of templates that are available.  Does this mean only these can be cycled?
The thing is: there are 2 representations of grids: the initial (which sucks, and is hardcoded in the code and i still wasn't able to remove), and the ones in .grid files. On that dialog's default configuration, there's no example of how to include the former.
You have to do like i have in the folowing screenshot:
Screenshot-07_07_26,20_22_04.png

This means: place your custom grid on the Grids folder and then refer to it on that dialog as:
Grids/NAMEOFGRID.grid

3) Why do the items in the list have a comma before and after the list?
Well... That's sort of a workaround to get the thing to work. You don't have to worry about them, though. The first comma and the last don't need to be there. They'll reappear when you get back to that dialog, though. Just don't worry about them, it's an explicit example of how i suck at coding :P

ericslaw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #354 on: August 10, 2007, 11:24 AM »
I've just downloaded this wonderful tool: GridMove.
But I use TweakUI and have 'focus follows mouse' or 'realestate driven' window focus.
It seems that GridMove moves the window with last focus before the mouse-up event,
when what I really want is the window that was in focus during the mouse-down event.

Is this an easy fix?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #355 on: August 10, 2007, 02:07 PM »
Sure is, it was supposed to work like that, thanks for remembering me :)

I've just uploaded a new version ;)

[edit] Also, if you have DCupdater installed, GridMove comes with a "dcupdate" file! Just double-click it to check for updates :) [/edit]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 02:11 PM by jgpaiva »

yktoo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #356 on: August 17, 2007, 01:20 AM »
Hi, GridMove is a very very useful utility and big thanks to the author!

Having used it for a while I have some a few suggestions for it:
  • Make it possible to have comments in .grid files (some grids may appear somewhat complex without commenting)
  • Option for transparency (in percent) of those solid "target bars" might help in operating dense grids. This way you would see through them while docking a window.
  • HTML help (.chm) file would be very helpful and much easier to read. I can make one for you if you decide to include it in the bundle.

Thank you once again!

ericslaw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #357 on: August 17, 2007, 03:47 AM »
  • I second the idea of comments in the config (I haven't tried '#' or ';' or '--' or '//' or '/* ... */' )
  • If not transparency, allow us to set the color or (even better) just draw an outline of the new window location (but perhaps let us specify the line thickness.... single pixel lines would be too small).
  • Allow use of a generic MonitorWidth and other variables be used for each monitor, rather than having to replicate/clone Monitor1Width throughout the config.  This would allow the same grid patter
n to be usable on each monitor without having to repeat it in the config.

-Eric

ericslaw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #358 on: August 17, 2007, 03:49 AM »
  • ... and maybe have an option to showgrid with/without numbers

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #359 on: August 17, 2007, 08:52 AM »
Make it possible to have comments in .grid files (some grids may appear somewhat complex without commenting)
A .grid file is a simple ini file, thus, commenting with ';' is allowed. (at least, i think that's the character for comments in ini files.

Option for transparency (in percent) of those solid "target bars" might help in operating dense grids. This way you would see through them while docking a window.
Yes, that was present on earlier GridMove's versions, but i somehow removed it. But no worries, i noticed that last week and already have it working again. Will be on next version.

HTML help (.chm) file would be very helpful and much easier to read. I can make one for you if you decide to include it in the bundle.
Well.. That's not the only thing that needs to be fixed on the help file. It's quite outdated now, and i really really need to remake it (in chm ;) ).

Allow use of a generic MonitorWidth and other variables be used for each monitor, rather than having to replicate/clone Monitor1Width throughout the config.
Initially, gridmove worked like that. The problem was that if there was no distinction, there would be no way to have a different grid on each monitor.
But that's a good point, i can add another variable that would work for all monitors.

I guess that makes sense, I'll see what i can do.
Notice that the number are supposed to be used with the winkey+1,winkey+2, etc... And with the Winkey+g shortcut, to move windows to specific grid parts.

dzr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #360 on: August 17, 2007, 04:30 PM »
Is there a way to create a Center area?
I did a post search and I see a question without an answer (unless it was worded differently).

Thanks

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #361 on: August 17, 2007, 05:40 PM »
Is there a way to create a Center area?
I did a post search and I see a question without an answer (unless it was worded differently).
Oh.. You refer to centering the active window?

dzr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #362 on: August 18, 2007, 09:59 PM »
Thanks - that looks good - but it takes the current dimensions and centers the window.
I was -expecting- specific dimensions in the middle of the window...
Well, I have to use it and think about what I really want, vs what I thought that I wanted...

For reading a single Word document, I - THINK - that I want something that would allow me to have a window with a certain dimension in the center - and then the left and right sides blanked out, as to not have distractions. Yes, that's a specific case where I don't really want a wide monitor. Again, I'm just theorizing what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #363 on: August 19, 2007, 12:04 PM »
dzr:
  GridMove has several grid templates. I suppose you must be using the default one.
Just right-click the icon in the tray area (next to the clock), and choose templates -> EdgeGrid. The middle grid centers the current window.

My question is: would you like something similar to that middle grid, but with other dimensions?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #364 on: August 19, 2007, 12:10 PM »
jgp when are we going to see dcupdater support for gridmove!
see this thread for info on how to easily add a "check for updates" menu item to your tray icon.

dzr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #365 on: August 19, 2007, 01:39 PM »
dzr:
  GridMove has several grid templates. I suppose you must be using the default one.
Just right-click the icon in the tray area (next to the clock), and choose templates -> EdgeGrid. The middle grid centers the current window.

My question is: would you like something similar to that middle grid, but with other dimensions?

Thanks.

Yep, that's what I'm looking for. This middle grid, is too wide.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #366 on: August 19, 2007, 01:49 PM »
That template has another interesting feature.
Try dragging any window to the top grid. It'll maximize vertically that window ;)

How wide would you like the grid to be?

dzr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #367 on: August 19, 2007, 06:21 PM »
>How wide would you like the grid to be?

Hmmm, not sure of an exact size -- how would I give you a measurement?
Thanks

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #368 on: August 20, 2007, 05:41 AM »
I've just completed an update to GridMove. It now supports Mouser's DCupdater!! :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 06:53 AM by jgpaiva »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #369 on: August 20, 2007, 05:46 AM »
Hmmm, not sure of an exact size -- how would I give you a measurement?
Well... Tell me something in terms of percentage of your screen. I can tell you that the center part of that grid i mentioned (EdgeGrid) takes 80% of the screen height and 80% of the screen width.

The red grid with the number 5 takes 40% of the screen height and 40% of the screen's width.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #370 on: August 20, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Allow use of a generic MonitorWidth and other variables be used for each monitor, rather than having to replicate/clone Monitor1Width throughout the config.
I have just reviewed this, and noticed that GridMove's code has changed a lot since those times. Currently, it's not possible to make such variables.. Sorry :(

Not a problem, please just telm something else: you'd like the letters to not be shown too? (see "maximize", "minimize", etc in the edge grid template)

ericslaw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #371 on: August 20, 2007, 10:08 AM »
The reason I was not interested in the numbers was because they looked terrible...  a white outline with red text.
with the most recent upgrade however, they seem to be much more clean...
I'd still remove them via an option, but the text for min/max/ontop should stay (without the leading numbers).
Leading numbers are nice, but I personally would not likely be using the keyboard shortcuts, so they seem distracting.

Meanwhile, the transparent new-window location is a BIG improvement (less distracting than the solid one).

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #372 on: August 20, 2007, 10:24 AM »
The reason I was not interested in the numbers was because they looked terrible...  a white outline with red text.
You bet they do. I also don't like those, let's see how it looks without numbers ;)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #373 on: August 20, 2007, 10:44 AM »
Ok, i uploaded a new version with the option to hide the grid numbers :)

yktoo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #374 on: August 23, 2007, 06:12 AM »
Ok, i uploaded a new version with the option to hide the grid numbers :)
Hmmm... Now that I tried version 1.19.37, it does handle comments and paint translucent bars (with no transparency option though :) ). Thanks!

But - it doesn't paint grid nor numbers at all - disregarding the options. What am I doing wrong?