topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 9:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it  (Read 730633 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2006, 12:10 PM »
Right, i also noticed that but thought it was related to allsnap and not gridmove. I'll look into it!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2006, 02:21 PM »
 :) GridMove 1.16:

Focus bug fixed (that was the one creating the problem mentioned in the last 2 posts)
GridOrder bug fixed. (mentioned a few posts above).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2006, 02:29 PM »
 :D looks like everything is working.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2006, 01:21 AM »
ha ha, i've only just discovered that you don't have to click on the titlebar when using the middle mouse button. brilliant.

also, not sure if this is a bug or something is just playing up on my machine...

when the grid appears, the window you have open looks like it is under the grid lines that define the grid layout but it is also on top of the semi transparent area that represents the selected grid area. whereas before the open window was underneath all of this.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 01:27 AM by nudone »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2006, 04:37 AM »
ha ha, i've only just discovered that you don't have to click on the titlebar when using the middle mouse button. brilliant.
Yep, that's why it's my favourite method ;)

when the grid appears, the window you have open looks like it is under the grid lines that define the grid layout but it is also on top of the semi transparent area that represents the selected grid area. whereas before the open window was underneath all of this.
EhEh... I see you use a lot windows on top. That only happens when a window is set as on top, it is on top of the highlight, as it was with the whole grid before. As i don't use it that much, i didn't find the bug. Shouldn't be a big trouble to fix. ;)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2006, 04:39 AM »
i mentioned the above 'bug' as i've not got any of the windows set on top - i don't use that feature much.

i'm getting the problem with newly opened windows - well, all windows.

just checked to make sure and it's definitely doing it with every window i open.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 04:46 AM by nudone »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #181 on: July 30, 2006, 10:02 AM »
this is a general autohotkey question that has been answered before on the forum but i'll ask it here as i think it worth bringing up...

i use 'dialogmove' and 'gridmove' and just a little thing i did for moving windows with keyboard shortcuts (well, i did until i deleted it so i need to write the script again). i'm wondering, is there any advantage to putting dialogmove and gridmove into the same .ahk file - i feel i'm talking rubbish as my system is more than fast enough to cope with a couple of .ahk files running at the same time - but, if there is a perceivable improvement to be gained then perhaps it is worth considering.

really, i'm just looking for an answer to be along the lines of "don't be an idiot, i have several .ahk files running simultaneously at no detriment to the speed of my operating system."

i just have one of those nagging thoughts and i need it to be eradicated (please).

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2006, 09:04 AM »
Long time, no see!!
GridMove 1.18 is here!!

Ok, i did a small update. I think the problem with the highlight not appearing on top should be fixed now. I also added the "run" grid. It works in a similar way to the restore, maximize and ontop grids. Here's the syntax:

GridTop      = Run
  GridLeft     = filename
  GridBottom = name to be displayed
  GridRight    = working directory

"GridTop" must be Run. GridLeft is the name of the file to be ran, GridBottom is the name to be displayed on the grid (like "restore", "maximize" and "ontop" currently do) and GridRight is the working directory (which can be ommited).

As for your doubt, here's the explanation.
When running an ahk script, a bunch of stuff is loaded. If it has hotkeys (like dialogmove and gridmove do), it loads one keyboard hook for each one. A mouse hook is also loaded. All this takes around 3-4mb per each script. So, joining them would spare you 3-4mb of ram. Now, if you don't have a 486 with 12mb of ram, this shouln't be a problem, and believe me: it'd be an almost impossible task, as ahk mostly uses global variables (actually, this is not ahk's fault, it's mine) and it isn't purelly multi-threaded.
Believe me, it surely isn't worth the trouble, and if you don't have loads of ahk scripts you woudn't notice the difference.
On the other hand, if it makes you feel better, you could join the small script you made with dialogmove, which is way simpler than gridmove. But don't think too much about it ;)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2006, 09:26 AM »
thank, jgpaiva. great to see an update - i knew you'd have one sooner or later.

i'll try the new version over the weekend and report back - i can't really get to my main pc at the moment.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2006, 01:58 AM »
unfortunately i don't seem to be able to get the 'run' grid working. i've tried a couple of different programs to try and run but i can't even get the title of the program to appear in the grid.

here's an example of what i've tried:

TriggerTop   = [Monitor1Top]
  TriggerLeft  = [Monitor1Left]
  TriggerBottom= [Monitor1Bottom]
  TriggerRight = [Monitor1Left] + [Monitor1Width] /2

GridTop   = Run
  GridLeft  = C:\Program Files\Maxthon\Maxthon.exe
  GridBottom= Maxthon
  GridRight = C:\Program Files\Maxthon

i tried a similar thing with 'notepad++'. am i just doing it completely wrong?

also, the grid highlight not appearing on top problem only seems to happen when i'm using that 'supergrid' i made. it still has the problem but i wouldn't spend any time trying to get it to work, jgpaiva, i think i'm tired of that layout. thanks for trying though.

jity2

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2006, 11:25 AM »
Hi

I don't know if this helps, but here another related freeware
"WinSplit.NET"
http://reptils.free.fr/index_en.htm

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2006, 12:59 PM »
Hi

I don't know if this helps, but here another related freeware
"WinSplit.NET"
http://reptils.free.fr/index_en.htm

nice idea using the number keypad to position windows. gridmove still requires keyboard hotkey input - hopefully using the 'winkey' (hint, hint, jgpaiva).

winsplit.net is worth trying if you want the keyboard control for the time being - unfortunately it did crash whilst i was trying it out but until that point it seemed pretty good. it could do with user customisable keys.

jity2

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2006, 01:26 PM »
Hi,

Crash => Maybe try the new 1.1 version (only in french for now)
http://reptils.free....NET_French_v1.10.exe

(http://reptils.free.fr/ )

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: August 31, 2006, 03:25 AM »
Hi there!

I'm currently working on a complete help file, since the help tab on the about box is missing many many key points of gridmove.
But by using WinSplit.NET, i had a good idea. I'm thinking about implementing the function that was talked before about having GridMove keeping a list of the active windows and moving them in order (when you move a window to someplace where a window was, that other window is moved to where the moved window's origin).
Also, hotkeys make much sense, and probably win+# is the best option. It'll be in the next release (which should take a couple of days).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: August 31, 2006, 06:17 AM »
great. looking forward to it, jgpaiva.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: August 31, 2006, 02:09 PM »
It's done!!!!
GridMove 1.19 is here.
It features a complete help file (now that i remember, it misses 2 things, i'll add those tomorrow) and win+# hotkeys! (which by the way are fantastic and i want to thank you for having me implementing them).
Also, the win+g # is improved, and doesn't wait anymore unless it makes sense. This means that if you have less than 10 elements, it'll move the window immediatelly after you press #, if you have more than 10 and less than 20, it'll move the window to areas 2-9 immediatelly and will wait a bit for the 1. (yep, sounds weird, i can't explain it, please try it and you'll understand).

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: August 31, 2006, 03:06 PM »
Just a small update with a bug fix. Now, when using the keyboard, if you move the window to a "Maximize Vertically" / "Maximize Horizontally" grid element, the window is stretched relative to it's current position, ignoring the mouse position. (the same grid element's behaviour when used with the mouse wasn't altered).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: August 31, 2006, 03:21 PM »
brilliant.

the help file is extremely well done and it's good to see some more hotkeys added to the program.

can I just make a quick suggestion - I love the idea of hotkeys for minimising and restoring windows (I've had autohotkey scripts do this in the past) but can you please change the way the '0' is used to minimise a window. the problem is that there is rather a long pause after the '0' is pressed and the minimise function takes place. I'd be really grateful if you could change the hotkey so that it worked instantly - otherwise it's actually quicker for me to take my hand off the keyboard and use the mouse.

I can, of course, just continue to use the autohotkey script that I use for minimising windows instead.

anyway, it's great to see an update for gridmove. I've not tried the over 10 grid zone quick keys yet but I'm sure I will - I think there might be a new grid layout that might just be right for it.

kproth

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: August 31, 2006, 03:27 PM »
Regarding window minimization, just as an FYI for any readers who don't already know:

Alt+SpaceBar, followed by the letter N, minimizes the current window.
WinKey+M minimizes all (non-modal) windows.
WinKey+D shows/hides the desktop, so pressing it once minimizes all windows, and pressing it again restores all windows to their prior position.

- Kevin

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2006, 06:48 PM »
the help file is extremely well done and it's good to see some more hotkeys added to the program.
Cool, i'm glad to know i could transmit the knowledge in a correct way.

can I just make a quick suggestion - I love the idea of hotkeys for minimising and restoring windows (I've had autohotkey scripts do this in the past) but can you please change the way the '0' is used to minimise a window. the problem is that there is rather a long pause after the '0' is pressed and the minimise function takes place. I'd be really grateful if you could change the hotkey so that it worked instantly - otherwise it's actually quicker for me to take my hand off the keyboard and use the mouse.
Yep, i've also noticed that, it isn't handy at all. i think it might be better to have 'm' to minimize and 'M' to maximize. Although, 'M' forces the use for another extra modifier (shift). Do you think other key should be used?

I can, of course, just continue to use the autohotkey script that I use for minimising windows instead.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #195 on: September 01, 2006, 01:15 AM »
kproth has mentioned something important regarding the problem with the minimise shortcut.

the hotkeys that i made myself where originally things like 'winkey+delete' or 'winkey+pageup' as I knew that they wouldn't conflict with other programs hotkeys. but it annoyed me that I'd have to use both hands to use these hotkeys (I always forget that there is a winkey on the right hand side of the keyboard which I could have used), so I changed the hotkeys so that I could easily use them with my left hand.

I mention this as if it takes more than one manoeuvre to perform a hotkey function then it's not really that nice to use - this is exactly why I don't use the 'alt+space'... 'n' combination that is built into windows (and I can never remember 'n' means minimise).

unfortunately, gridmove is replicating this inbuilt windows hotkey combo and the truth is that I wouldn't have used it - I didn't want to sound ungrateful by saying I wouldn't use that feature so I suggested that it could be speeded up instead.

the hotkey combo's for selecting grid zones makes perfect sense as we need to see the grid layout before selecting a number. there just isn't really any great need to see the grid when minimising, maximising, etc. so a single hotkey hit would be preferred for these actions.

could you not just make it so that gridmove has the hotkeys for minimise, maximise, on top, 50% transparency and rollup by using shortcut keys like winkey+userdefinedkey. I know this is transforming what gridmove does but it makes sense to me to have other window control features as part of the program - providing they are as simple to use as lots of programs out there already that do these windows tasks.

I admit that these are luxuries rather than necessities and it probably is better using a dedicated window control program - the thing I use also allows a window to be moved around the screen a few pixels at a time by using the keyboard, so I could also add that to the request list of gridmove hotkeys.

anyway, I'll be happy with gridmove however you decide to transform it, jgpaiva.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2006, 05:18 AM »
There was a giant mistake on the .exe version (when ran for the first time), which didn't unpack the files. Updated to 1.191

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #197 on: September 04, 2006, 09:07 AM »
New version is up, 1.192.
This version features the possibility of changing the colour of the grid (by changing the colour of the Grids/Grid.bmp file) and all the files on the Grids folder are listed on the templates menu.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Another update (same release number). Now, the hotkeys are configurable through the tray menu option: hotkeys.
(sorry for the delay on this important option!!)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #199 on: September 04, 2006, 02:17 PM »
great, i really like the fast move hotkeys.

but couldn't we have had the combination winkey + 0 to minimise a window, as i see there is still a delay when using the control + g keys then hitting 0.