topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it  (Read 730552 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2006, 02:20 PM »
Good point, nudone. The win+0 is a bad idea, i need to find a workaround. (currently win+0 moves the window to the tenth grid, but i guess it could be used to minimize window)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2006, 02:32 PM »
could we not have a separate hotkey config file so that we could change the hotkeys to whatever we want?

i'd probably use something like winkey + downarrow, or some other combination i'm sure wouldn't be used with another program. but i'm also sure i'd change my mind and change it to another key combination at some point.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2006, 01:25 PM »
Ok,i've made some thinking about this, and got to what i think is a good conclusion.
Having gridmove defining a bunch of hotkeys not related to moving windows to the grid or something doesn't make much sense. But it does make sense to be able to specify hotkeys for moving to specific grid elements.
So, i'll add a way to define hotkeys for moving specific grid elements, which can be "run" elements, where you can add whatever crosses your mind. What do you think about this solution? (i will also include executables for the usual stuff like minimizing, maximizing, making windows transparent, moving them to the right/left/up/down, etc).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2006, 02:27 PM »
i'm in favour if the method you describe would only take one action to perform, i.e. you hit a key combination and the action happens straight away - having a delay or having to hit a series of keys for it to work isn't going to be that helpful.

to be honest, i wouldn't give yourself a headache over it, jgpaiva, as there are solutions already for this kind of thing.

perhaps it would be better to let gridmove remain what it is - a tool to quickly snap and resize windows.

a new autohotkey util could be designed to cover the other functions like running programs, moving windows and changing their state. it's probably been done several times over already, i mean, even i had a go at making one.

the suggested gridmove feature for running an external program is a bit flunky really. i think it would make more sense to just have invisible triggers that didn't require dragging a window. just something like what is already out there in several programs where you trigger an action by moving the mouse cursor to the edge/corner of the screen. maybe if this could be developed further as an idea it would be worthwhile pursuing?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #204 on: September 05, 2006, 02:41 PM »
That's not a problem, my idea was to have a direct hotkey.
This would be specially useful for grids like the edge grid. you could only have a hotkey that would move the window to the center element (5), like win+c. It'd help in the sense that it'd be easier to remember which hotkey corresponds to which element, instead of just knowing it's number.

Notice that the run grid is already implemented (although i didn't make any grid demonstating it). It makes most sense if functions that act uppon windows are used. It's most interesting for stuff like remembering the position of certain windows, making them transparent, rolling up windows and such. Maybe i should make some kind of demo to show it's potential.

As for adding triggers that work with the mouse, i prefer to keep them out of gridmove. I say this, because i want it to keep revolving around the grid and it's hotkeys, since if it starts diverting to other fields, it might not be good in any of them. (take powerpro. although it has an ocean of possibilities, but only a selected few can use it because it's overly-complex)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2006, 04:30 PM »
New version uploaded! (ScriptVersion = 1.19.22)
TucknDar found a giant bug concerning disabling the mbuttondrag method. THANKS!!  :Thmbsup:
Also, fixed 2 typos in the hotkeys options, also found by TucknDar.

I'm now thinking about adding a new method of interation: modifier + leftbutton (working on the whole window, like the mbuttondrag currently does).
Any opinions?

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2006, 04:33 PM »
New version uploaded! (ScriptVersion = 1.19.22)
TucknDar found a giant bug concerning disabling the mbuttondrag method. THANKS!!  :Thmbsup:
Also, fixed 2 typos in the hotkeys options, also found by TucknDar.

I'm now thinking about adding a new method of interation: modifier + leftbutton (working on the whole window, like the mbuttondrag currently does).
Any opinions?
Opinion? Only that this TucknDar-fellow must be some sort of bug-finding genius!  :redface:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2006, 12:40 AM »
Congratulations to jgpaiva (and nudone for the original idea):
GridMove was mentioned on LifeHacker today.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2006, 03:08 AM »
ah, the world is finally seeing sense - well, the corner of the world that lifehacker covers.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2006, 11:53 AM »
This application is excellent.  After spending some time making a custom grid, I couldn't be happier.  Snap point for my webbrowser, snap points for my text editor (primary centered and points to tile it vertically or horizontally) -- no more manual window resizing.

I've attached the grid if you want to check it out.  It's made specifically for me, but it might be handy for others, quite a few variations of the middle window (text editor, file explore, etc.) for tiling/resizing.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2006, 04:06 PM »
i've taken a peek at your grid. nice idea.

i think simple is the way to go - my supergrid was too much for me to use - too many choices.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2006, 05:22 PM »
My goal was to make a grid I could/would use.  Grids 1/2 are general positions I use constantly, 3 an offspin of 2 that works great for when I don't need my editor so big.  The others are for dual-editing with side by side comparison.  Probably add a few smaller elements on the right side for a few things, but generally I just have google talk and some messaging windows open there and use Opera (slot 1) to align them by anyway.

The easy snapping is great -- and I love the win+g command option.  As someone who becomes angry at having to use the mouse when I don't want to, I'm tickled pink. :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2006, 06:01 PM »
I've attached the grid if you want to check it out.  It's made specifically for me, but it might be handy for others, quite a few variations of the middle window (text editor, file explore, etc.) for tiling/resizing.
Damn, that's a neat grid! You definitelly have good taste on how to make them.
I'll try to get a page online to post custom grids, so that people can send them to me and i'll make them multi-screen, take a snapshot and put them online.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2006, 01:50 PM »
GridMove keeps locking up (not responding) and I run it and I try to drag windows around but it doesn't show a grid and they don't go into place.

What's the deal? Has it been tested with Dual Monitors?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2006, 02:00 PM »
Okay, I read the help file. (duh!) so now I can get it to go to the drag zones, and I know it has dual monitor support. But it keeps locking up when I load Allen's grids.

Oh, there it went. It just takes forever to load, but Allen's grid doesn't seem to work.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 02:03 PM by Deozaan »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2006, 05:16 PM »
If you look at the source code, D., you'll see a special hack labeled "Pwning 4 Deozaan, no grid 4 u lolololz"  ;D

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2006, 05:25 PM »
Deozaan... Something is definitelly wrong, it did load here. And i also have dual monitor.
Did you place the grid on the grids/ folder? (not that it should matter, i'm just trying to figure out what could be wrong).
Can you load the other grids? Does it only happen when you load Allen's grid?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #217 on: September 12, 2006, 10:22 AM »
If you look at the source code, D., you'll see a special hack labeled "Pwning 4 Deozaan, no grid 4 u lolololz"  ;D
  ;D ;D ;D

All the grids are now working. I did not put Allen's grid in the grid folder. I'm not sure what it was. I got Allen's to load correctly and it isn't locking up anymore. Maybe it was just a software conflict. I'm at work and have some company specific software running that does weird things to the computer sometimes.

But I have a feature request! I would like it if we could name the drag spots instead of just numbering them. This way I could have a grid named Firefox, or E-mail or something similar.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 10:25 AM by Deozaan »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #218 on: September 12, 2006, 03:59 PM »
I think I may have found a bug. Whenever I drag a window from the title bar (though not necessarily while clicking on the title itself) straight to the left, it goes maybe 100 pixels and then snaps into place and the trigger grids appear.

Dang! Now I'm not able to reproduce it 100% of the time, but before I started writing this it happened every time.

Okay, I think I might have figured it out. If I drag the title bar from some place other than the title and drag it straight left into the area the title originally was when I started dragging, it snaps it into place as if I had just clicked onto the title in the first place.

This is a very handy tool. I'm still working on customizing it for my workplace, but I'm finding it very useful. If only this thing had a GUI where you could just draw the bounding boxes for the triggers and grids. Or take a snapshot of where the window currently is and load those coordinates into the grid. And also, as I already said, I'd like to be able to name my grids.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #219 on: September 12, 2006, 04:29 PM »
I think I may have found a bug. Whenever I drag a window from the title bar (though not necessarily while clicking on the title itself) straight to the left, it goes maybe 100 pixels and then snaps into place and the trigger grids appear.

Dang! Now I'm not able to reproduce it 100% of the time, but before I started writing this it happened every time.

Okay, I think I might have figured it out. If I drag the title bar from some place other than the title and drag it straight left into the area the title originally was when I started dragging, it snaps it into place as if I had just clicked onto the title in the first place.
Sorry, i can't quite understand what you mean.. :(
(i belive it might be that it's taking too much time to show the grid, right?)

This is a very handy tool. I'm still working on customizing it for my workplace, but I'm finding it very useful. If only this thing had a GUI where you could just draw the bounding boxes for the triggers and grids. Or take a snapshot of where the window currently is and load those coordinates into the grid. And also, as I already said, I'd like to be able to name my grids.
The gridcreator has already been started, and i got something working, but still very primitive. I'll try to get it out asap. (it was scheduled for today, but i had a few delays, should be done in the end of this week)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #220 on: September 12, 2006, 05:40 PM »
GridMove is only supposed to work with the left mouse button if you click on the part of the title bar that actually has the title of the application, correct? When I click more to the right where there are no words, the grids do not appear. I believe this is normal functionality.

When I click somewhere on the title bar that has no text, and I drag it as straight as possible to the left, to where there was originally the title bar text, the grids will appear. This is easiest seen if you disable "show window contents while dragging" in Windows so that you can see the original position of the title before you started dragging it.

Does that make more sense?

wcyee

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #221 on: September 13, 2006, 01:30 PM »
Unfortunately, GridMove doesn't work well with my virtual desktop maanger - VirtuaWin: http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net

When I switch desktops, GirdMove automatically shows all the hidden windows and snaps them to place. Is there any way to work around this?

mmdoogie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #222 on: September 14, 2006, 03:39 AM »
I have noticed a tiny bug in this absolutely awesome utility...
I don't know if anyone else has seen this or if its just something odd about how my system is.

If I go to the top left corner of my desktop, with no window there,
then drag on the desktop, the grids will appear like I am dragging a window.
This only happens in about the top 100x25 pixels, just like there is a title bar there.

If I then drop into one of the grids, a titlebar will flash up for a very short time, like a program is being sized to fit the grid, then go away.
The title bar is for the Program Manager.

I believe this has something to do with the way AHK treats Program Manager as a window
for some functions to get the size of the desktop and a few other things.

I modified the GridMoveP1.ahk script, in the MousePosition sub, on the line beginning AND WinTitle != "",
to also include AND WinTitle != "Program Manager" which cures this little problem.

I've had this mod in place for a bit now and it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Thanks for the awesome util,
--mrm

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #223 on: September 14, 2006, 04:54 AM »
GridMove is only supposed to work with the left mouse button if you click on the part of the title bar that actually has the title of the application, correct? When I click more to the right where there are no words, the grids do not appear. I believe this is normal functionality.
Yes, that's how it's supposed to work.

This is easiest seen if you disable "show window contents while dragging" in Windows so that you can see the original position of the title before you started dragging it.
Ok, now i see what you mean. This is a giant bug, i have moved it to the top of the todo list. Should be fixed asap!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #224 on: September 14, 2006, 04:55 AM »
I don't know if anyone else has seen this or if its just something odd about how my system is.
Damn, a bug report and a solution at the same time!
Ok, should be fixed in the next release!