topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it  (Read 730569 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it
« Reply #275 on: January 17, 2007, 06:44 AM »
Attached to this post is the grid you asked for, singx7. I also fixed the 3-part reversed grid, it had an error. Thanks for noticing it ;)

dziacial: Yes, as long as you have placed that grid in the /grids folder. An example of how to configure it is:
Right-click the tray icon,and select options. Then, select "Set grid order".
A new dialog comes up. Just add the following to the text in it:
grids/axcrusik_s_grid.grid

[edit] here's the grid [/edit]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 03:53 AM by jgpaiva »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #276 on: January 17, 2007, 09:21 AM »
According to this post in another thread, i ask the people who use gridmove:
How would you like to be able to create a list of windows for each grid element on the grid you use and have an hotkey that would automatically arrange the existing windows in the current grid, based on the information on that list?

toddm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #277 on: January 17, 2007, 08:39 PM »
I use gridmove mostly to tile Exceed command prompt windows so it would need to work with specific windows in my case, not just a per program setting.  Of course gridmove can't know where to put each window unless I direct it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #278 on: January 18, 2007, 03:50 AM »
Attached to this post is the grid you asked for, singx7. I also fixed the 3-part reversed grid, it had an error. Thanks for noticing it ;)

hi jgpaiva,
dont think I've posted here before - it's a wonderful thing is gridmove !!
I actually dont use it that much due to nature of my work, but when I do, boy do I appreciate it (should go donate then  :) )

Anyways, the above grid doesnt seem to be attatched to post as you say - also your whatchamacallit - signature - the image link is broken (from my perspective at any rate!)
Tom

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #279 on: January 18, 2007, 03:56 AM »
Anyways, the above grid doesnt seem to be attatched to post as you say - also your whatchamacallit - signature - the image link is broken (from my perspective at any rate!)
Oops... I must have been sleeping, that day. It's fixed, now attached to the post.
Oh, and the signature... Apparently there must be some problem with allen's imagiine, i've contacted him to see what's up.
Thanks for the heads up ;)

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #280 on: January 18, 2007, 09:23 AM »
I came across this little app as I was browsing downloads.com. As simple as it is, it is a great and smart tool. Just wanted to thank you for this work.

makron

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2007, 02:34 PM »
I found about this application on lifehacker.com, and i bookmarked it cause I was thinking to replace my old 17"CRT with a 22"LCD....now that I did, I already installed gridmove in the startup folder and its a joy to use it.... I would like to know if there are any plans to update the Grid Creator applications, of if somebody could put up a little tutorial....
10x

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2007, 02:59 PM »
I'm glad you like it!!
Quoting mouser, 'it appears that gridmove is creating quite a fanbase'.
Fantastic! :D

I would like to know if there are any plans to update the Grid Creator applications, of if somebody could put up a little tutorial....
Yeah, you're right, the gridcreator totaly sucks :(
The thing is: i'm not exactly sure how to improve it.
So, on the next update, i'll include a bunch of new grids, and i think you're right, i'll make a decent tutorial on how to create grids!

makron

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2007, 07:34 PM »
well..i do have an idea about how Grid Creator could work (improve)....
 the user could just open his favorite applications, and arrange them as he would like on the desktop... and then when u ran Grid Creator, it could automatically create the grid that the open application are creating. For example... I need on my screen opera, a chat windows, and 2 web cam windows.....i just arrange them the way i would like the grid to be created and I just run grid creator and I'm done.

john_markman@johnmarkman.

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #284 on: January 29, 2007, 06:58 PM »
Wow,

One of the unexpected but most useful things for gridmove is getting stupid windows that are lost (open offscreen and unable to get to) back!  Click on the taskbar icon for the offending window.  do the windows G thing, press M.  And there is that stupid hidden window!!!!

Do I love gridmove.  It has made my life so much easier.  And being the forever greedy lazy lad who wants more, here are my feature requests.

I. A few more command line options like the 0 and M
-- T or V this does the maximize vertical and leaves width as it was.
-- W or H this does the maximize horizontal and leaves height as it was.

II. Make the above case sensitive and able to see if there are multiple monitors.  So if I have 2 monitors next to each other lower case w = max horz on current monitor. Upper case W = max horz on both monitors.  Same could be done for folks with monitors above and below each other for the t / T

Thanks for the most useful utility I have found!!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #285 on: February 01, 2007, 03:27 AM »
i'll confess, i still haven't got into the habit of using gridmove - stupid, huh - so i won't feel bad if you tell me to get lost  :D

anyway, here's yet another suggestion:

again, maybe this is something gridmove could do or maybe it's something for a new util entirely.

okay. let's go...

i'd like to move the windows around BUT i don't want them to snap completely into a specific grid (blasphemy, i know).

instead. i'd like the edges of my monitor screen to act as the boundaries for all windows that are in view. in other words, i can't move a window off screen.

nothing unusual so far. right. okay, instead of the window moving off screen in the normal manner when it is dragged too far near the edge of the monitor, i'd like the window to resize itself so that it decrease in width or height in the direction the window is moving.

as an example:
(this idea requires a few extra functions for it to work.)

firstly, you have the ability to move windows around on screen by clicking anywhere within the window, holding your mouse down and holding a key down at the same time (eg. ctrl key). or, you hold left and right mouse buttons down at the same time. (this kind of feature has been used with other utils already.)

when moving the window around using the above technique the window goes into 'screen edge boundary' mode. this prevents the window from moving off screen. instead, the window will shrink in size once it hits the edge of the screen - as you drag the window to the edge of the screen the window shrinks more and more AND, i guess, if you don't release the mouse button - if you start dragging the window back away from the edge of the screen, the window will start to grow in size.

if this is possible, it seems to me, that this would be like creating 'grids' on the fly. no window moves off screen as it snaps to the edges of the monitor - and the dragging process creates the newly sized window (grid).

i hope that made sense.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #286 on: February 02, 2007, 07:05 PM »
Sorry for the late responses, but i was on exams until today. I'm now on vacations, which means i finally have free time :D

makron: i think your idea for gridcreator is good. Although it creates just simple grids, it's way easier to use. I think i'll do just that.

john_markman: I think that your idea is good, adding commands for vertical maximize and horizontal maximize makes sense to me. I'll do that.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #287 on: February 02, 2007, 07:06 PM »
nudone: you always manage to find the wildest ideas :P
I also like that one, and if ahk can be fast enough, i'll do it but as a different coding snack. Sounds like a fun idea! :D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #288 on: February 03, 2007, 01:42 AM »
excellent. i'm glad you are prepared to have a crack at creating yet another window moving program, jgpaiva.

(i'm also using gridmove now, with just a slightly modified 2 part vertical edge grid. i think i had made things too complicated for myself before by creating ridiculously complex grids. simple is definitely better.)

yqbd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #289 on: February 05, 2007, 02:11 AM »
Hello!

Is there a way to use middle click just on title bars or borders and not anywhere in the window? I use the middle mouse button in web browsers to scroll sometimes and GridMove is taking over.

I don't see the ""browse" option on the templates menu." in GridMove V1.19.26.

I can't cycle back to axcrusik_s_grid.grid. If I cycle out of axcrusik_s_grid.grid, I have to recheck axcrusik_s_grid.grid in Templates. Set Grid Order doesn't help with it.

Is there a way to cancel drop zone mode without the escape key? Maybe some way to use the right button to cancel?

I doubleclick a title bar to maximize a window. Can we change MButton Drag to MButton Doubleclick, so drop zone mode will start after a double middle click? Then drop a window using left click or middle click?

Thanks!

yqbd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #290 on: February 05, 2007, 02:23 AM »
I can't cycle back to axcrusik_s_grid.grid. If I cycle out of axcrusik_s_grid.grid, I have to recheck axcrusik_s_grid.grid in Templates. Set Grid Order doesn't help with it.

Is there a way to cancel drop zone mode without the escape key? Maybe some way to use the right button to cancel?

,Grids/axcrusik_s_grid.grid, in Set Grid Order worked and moving the mouse to the center box of axcrusik_s_grid.grid works like cancelling.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #291 on: February 05, 2007, 03:44 AM »
Is there a way to use middle click just on title bars or borders and not anywhere in the window? I use the middle mouse button in web browsers to scroll sometimes and GridMove is taking over.
Yes, that's planned for the next version, it has already been requested ;)

I don't see the ""browse" option on the templates menu." in GridMove V1.19.26.
It's not there anymore, but don't worry, you can just put the grids in the /grids folder and they will be loaded in that menu.

Currently, the right-button cycles to the next grid, thus there's no way to acomplish that. As you mentioned, though, you can just drop the window in an area where there's no grid. Almost all grids have such areas, usually on the taskbar.

I doubleclick a title bar to maximize a window. Can we change MButton Drag to MButton Doubleclick, so drop zone mode will start after a double middle click? Then drop a window using left click or middle click?
I think that would be too hard to use. I'll include the middle button on taskbar, and it should solve this problem ;)

Thanks!
You're welcome ;)

oneword

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #292 on: February 07, 2007, 10:27 AM »
i have a 24" widescreen dell.. for some reason, gridmove does not work. i tried it on my laptop too.dint work :(
am i missing something?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #293 on: February 07, 2007, 10:37 AM »
:( Why do you say it doesn't work, oneword?
(if you like, you can also contact me by pm or e-mail, just click the icons below my avatar)

oneword

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #294 on: February 07, 2007, 11:17 AM »
I installed it, ran it, it opened the demo about screen too.. but when i dragged the window to the edges or any where on the screen nothing happens, i tried changing all the screen templates, nothing :(.

I finally installed gridvista, it works allright, but does not allow me to make custome templates(zones) or sizes.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #295 on: February 07, 2007, 12:39 PM »
i've a 24" monitor and gridmove works fine - so it's not the size of the monitor that is the problem. might be that something else you've got running is conflicting with it?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #296 on: February 07, 2007, 03:12 PM »
i've a 24" monitor and gridmove works fine - so it's not the size of the monitor that is the problem. might be that something else you've got running is conflicting with it?
:D I solved it with oneword through pm, not to flood this thread. It was just a mis-interpretation of how the edge drag method works.
Yeah, i know i suck at describing stuff ;)

Richard S

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #297 on: February 11, 2007, 09:00 PM »
Forgive the simplest of questions, but what program do you use to create a grid template?  I tried using Microsoft Word, but all I can do there is save it as a text file, not one that GridMove will recognize as a template.  Is there some text editor that will save what I create with the correct extension?  Thanks.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #298 on: February 12, 2007, 02:36 AM »
if you use a simple text editor like 'notepad' you can create your grid - the important thing to do is when saving the file put the name in quotation marks and include the .grid extension.

so if i had just made a grid and was going to save it with the name test01 i'd select 'save as...' from the file menu, then in the 'file name' field i'd write this exactly:

"test01.grid"

and then hit save.

if you don't use the " " quotation marks you'll not apply the .grid extension an you'll end up with a file called 'test01.grid.txt'

Richard S

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #299 on: February 12, 2007, 09:37 AM »
Many thanks.