topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Movies you've seen lately  (Read 546945 times)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies or films you've seen lately
« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2013, 07:34 PM »
Blackfish - A documentary that does make you think about cruelty to animals and how that results in profit and corporate lies where the loss of lives is just the costs of doing business. The last slide in the movie drives that message home. Not once did I lose sympathy for the orca that did the killing.

"The facts aren't what drive this film, the emotions behind them do." - taken from a user review at IMDB which sums up the whole experience perfectly.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Limitless
« Reply #226 on: November 11, 2013, 11:46 AM »
Another flick I enjoyed was Limitless

Unfortunately it's yet another example of a film with a great premise that degenerates into plot cliche.

The wrinkle I did like was
Spoiler
how the drug made the hero smart enough to guide a chemist to fix the undesirable side effects of the drug.  Sort of like bootstrapping.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: November 16, 2013, 05:35 PM »
I don't who recommended fail-safe...but it was very good!

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: November 16, 2013, 10:07 PM »
Edge of Darkness is pretty good. And not bad on the Massachusetts accent. Eastern and western mass. vary a bit in accent. But that's only noticeable by those who live there.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2013, 01:10 AM »
images.jpg

Just semi-marathoned the first season of the Caprica TV series over the last few days. Prequel to the Battlestar Galactica franchise (which I could never really get into) Caprica charts the accidental creation and subsequent development of the AI technology that ultimately led to the creation of the Cylons.

A quick history of the Cylons
cap.png

;D

I was very surprised at the caliber of the acting plus the plot and character development in this series. Better and far more intelligent than most scifi motion pictures. And absolutely head and shoulders above most of what gets put on TV these days even if it does get a little overdone in places.

Caprica Season 1.0 is 10 hours worth of complex storyline, with numerous subplots and twists throughout. If that's your sort of thing, you'll like it. I did.

Recommended. :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:16 AM by 40hz »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2013, 07:18 AM »
I don't who recommended fail-safe...but it was very good!

I haven't checked IMDB but I think it was the first big role for Larry Hagman as the interpreter.  Also it provided the basis for the Dr. Strangelove spoof.  I saw that in the theater but  was too young to get it.  I was pissed when all the bombs went off at the end.  I must have watched DSL a dozen times since though.  Just don't fight in the war room!  :)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2013, 10:54 AM »
Here's my latest list:

Prisoners
Skinwalker Ranch
Dark Skies
Now you see me

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2013, 03:55 PM »
It's not The Godfather but I got a kick out of Killing Them Softly

It makes its point with a sledgehammer.  Penny ante Mafia guys killing each other over a few large while the big buys rip us off for trillions smooth as ice cream.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2013, 07:18 PM »
Bounty Killer: Over the top gun slingin' in the future. The main characters are head hunters for CEO's, literally! The babe in this kind of movie is very worthy of that name...and you can see that this crowd-funded movie was fun to make both on and off the set. Don't wear your thinking cap when watching, this is just a good old fashion fun ride.  :Thmbsup:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: November 19, 2013, 07:56 PM »
The Man From Earth: Just a group of professors/friends that try to have of going-away party in a remote location, because one of their own is leaving. That is and stays the whole movie set. The story is where the action takes place...addressing a lot of philosophical issues and concepts in interesting ways. Very well written!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: November 19, 2013, 08:44 PM »
The Man From Earth: Just a group of professors/friends that try to have of going-away party in a remote location, because one of their own is leaving. That is and stays the whole movie set. The story is where the action takes place...addressing a lot of philosophical issues and concepts in interesting ways. Very well written!

It's been mentioned a few times before here on the forums:

What are you favorite movies?
Encouraging Piracy - Piracy as a Tool for Promotion
TOP 10 Theories Why Neanderthals Disappeared

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: November 19, 2013, 09:12 PM »
I admit I didn't take a look if the movie re was already mentioned somewhere else on the site.  :-[

Recently found an independent DVD rental place here and tried this movie first. Just thought it was one movie title nice enough to share. But next time there will be more due diligence on my part, rest assured.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: November 19, 2013, 09:42 PM »
MV5BMjAzNzY5NjQ4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTAzMTkzMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR51,0,214,317_.jpg

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: November 20, 2013, 01:04 AM »
I admit I didn't take a look if the movie re was already mentioned somewhere else on the site.  :-[

Recently found an independent DVD rental place here and tried this movie first. Just thought it was one movie title nice enough to share. But next time there will be more due diligence on my part, rest assured.

I didn't mean to imply that your contribution wasn't welcome, or that it's not allowed to post about movies that have already been mentioned. If you've seen it lately, you've seen it lately. :)

I just wanted to point out that that particular film has been enjoyed by others here on the forum before. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:15 PM by Deozaan »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: November 20, 2013, 01:39 AM »
@Shades, +1 to what Deo says above. It's bang on topic, and I wouldn't have heard about it if you hadn't posted about it ;-) :up:
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: November 20, 2013, 04:34 AM »
(see attachment in previous post)

Now there's a blast from the past ... haven't seen that for a while.

Meanwhile ... one of the strangest films I've seen in a long while: Outpost 11

Outpost11.jpg

Set in an alternative past where steam power still rules the world, Outpost 11 is the story of three soldiers manning a remote listening post in the Arctic Circle. One day the warning light goes off unexpectedly and their world is plunged in to chaos.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:16 AM by 4wd »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #241 on: November 24, 2013, 08:27 PM »
This evening, The Europa Report.

europa.jpgMovies you've seen lately

In the not too distant future, a corporate sponsored space mission is dispatched to Europa to examine a certain surface anomaly characterized as a "hot spot chaos area" which scientists believe holds the greatest opportunity for discovering extraterrestrial life. The mission departs Earth and arrives in Jupiter orbit 21 months later. Shortly after its arrival, all communication with the team is lost due to a series of solar flares disrupting the audio/video feeds being sent back their mission control. It is only later that a delayed transmission documenting the mission arrives back at Earth which allows investigators to reconstruct what happened.

It's an interesting riff on the "found footage" mystery theme, but with a solid and believable storyline, exceptionally well done low-key acting, and good solid science throughout. Real life space research organizations such as NASA, the JPL and SpaceX are among those credited with assisting the producers and writers of  this film which, no doubt, added to this picture's high level of realism.

Bottom line: a well crafted 'hard science' fiction movie, with just a hint of mystery - and pleasantly skipping the needless and obvious moral lessons and speeches that seem to get wedged into most scifi films these days. If you like believable scifi movies like the vastly underrated 2000 film Red Planet or that 1972 sleeper Silent Running, you'll love this flick.

One of the best bits of scifi I've seen all year. Recommended! :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:43 PM by 40hz »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: November 24, 2013, 09:01 PM »
This evening, The Europa Report.

You may like The Last Days On Mars - lots of similarities to Europa Report, Alien, Creature, Doctor Who's The Waters of Mars, and quite a few more but I found it to be a good film in it's own right.

tldom.jpg

A group of astronaut explorers succumb one by one to a mysterious and terrifying force while collecting specimens on Mars.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:18 PM by Deozaan, Reason: fixed formatting »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #243 on: November 24, 2013, 09:05 PM »
^Sounds good. Added it to my watch list. Thx! :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #244 on: January 04, 2014, 08:25 AM »
It's a Wonderful Life

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038650/

https://en.wikipedia...27s_a_Wonderful_Life

Watched it for the first time after hearing David Knight give a short explanation on some bits of the film. Fantastic film. I can see why it's a classic.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #245 on: February 11, 2014, 08:50 PM »
If you enjoy movies about a group of thieves pulling of impossible "jobs", then you sure are going to love The art of Steal. Although the IMDB score isn't bad, I think it deserves more. Anyway, have fun watching this one... :Thmbsup:

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #246 on: February 11, 2014, 09:33 PM »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #247 on: February 12, 2014, 01:27 AM »
Watched it for the first time after hearing David Knight give a short explanation on some bits of the film. Fantastic film. I can see why it's a classic.

Well then, you need to see the long lost alternate ending: http://www.dailymoti...-lost-end_shortfilms

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #248 on: February 12, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Not so much a movie as a half-bio half-documentary on master magician Ricky Jay called Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay.

rjay.jpg

Absolutely fascinating look behind the curtain at the education and psychology of those who practice the art of illusion for their living.

The beauty of a film like this is how the lessons of magic can apply to so much more than just the performance of tricks and illusions.

You can see it on Netflix streaming or Amazon.

Highly recommended. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:13 PM by 40hz »

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2014, 03:30 PM »
Not so much a movie as a half-bio half-documentary on master magician Ricky Jay called Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay.
 (see attachment in previous post)

Absolutely fascinating look behind the curtain at the education and psychology of those who practice the art of illusion for their living.

The beauty of a film like this is how the lessons of magic can apply to so much more than just the performance of tricks and illusions.

You can see it on Netflix streaming or Amazon.

Highly recommended. :Thmbsup:

I watched that on Netflix a couple weeks back. I didn't even know he was a magician. I only knew him as an actor.

I loved it. Made me want to go see him live.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.