topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What books are you reading?  (Read 676790 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What books are you reading?
« Reply #1050 on: April 22, 2021, 09:21 AM »
chain saw on the corps

"corpse" actually.

I have to stop using that Opera extension that automatically dis-corrects my spelling.  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1051 on: April 22, 2021, 08:17 PM »
chain saw on the corps

"corpse" actually.

I have to stop using that Opera extension that automatically dis-corrects my spelling.  :)

Yeah, I figured you just left off the -e.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1052 on: April 23, 2021, 10:19 AM »
chain saw on the corps

"corpse" actually.

Yeah, I figured you just left off the -e.

Concision does have its merits.   ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1053 on: April 23, 2021, 01:26 PM »
I'm just getting into "The First Signs" by Genevieve Von Petzinger. It's about the symbols used in cave art during the ice age (50k to 10k years ago). Apparently there were only 32, and they were used repeatedly all over Europe during that time.

She sees them as a precursor to writing.

Talks a lot about when people became "like us", or even "became us". Along the way you kind of learn what she means by this: one aspect is the ability to think about abstract concepts; another the symbolic (non-functional) use of colour, and decoration, engraving (initially abstract).
Says "language and creativity [are] driven by the capacity to think and communicate with symbols."

I find that whole aspect interesting -- what it might mean to be a "modern" human. She takes a lot for granted here: that we are wonderful, says that we use *all* the creative potential of our mind ( !! that, in the intro already, seemed like a bit of a bald statement and got me focusing on how she see modern versus ancient -- she carefully avoids use of "primitive").

Enjoying the book a lot btw.

Fwiw here's an article with another perspective "Humans were not centre stage: how ancient cave art puts us in our place"
https://thebaffler.c...oid-stain-ehrenreich
Suggests that people at the time saw themselves as small in the scheme of things (in the cave art, the only humans are tiny stick figures, surrounded by huge animals -- animals that were also huge irl); also that they had a sense of humour (apparently small clay "Venuses" were intentionally made with flaws, probably for throwing in the fire, where they would explode - a precursor to fireworks)
Tom

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1054 on: April 23, 2021, 06:53 PM »
Getting ready to start "Alive, Son Of Awake". Brief article on it here. Excerpt from the article:

In this age of anxiety, anger and contestations between the West and the Islamic world, many epoch-shaping stories of intellectual exchanges between our cultures are often forgotten.

A powerful example comes from literature. Millions of Christian, Jewish and Muslim readers across the world have read that famed tale of the man stranded alone on an island: “Robinson Crusoe” by Daniel Defoe, the 18th-century British pamphleteer, political activist and novelist.

Few know that in 1708, 11 years before Defoe wrote his celebrated novel, Simon Ockley, an Orientalist scholar at Cambridge University, translated and published a 12th-century Arabic novel, “Hayy ibn Yaqzan,” or “Alive, the Son of Awake,” by Abu Bakr Muhammad ibn Tufayl, an Andalusian-Arab polymath. Writing about the influence of Ibn Tufayl’s novel on Defoe’s “Robinson Crusoe,” Martin Wainwright, a former Guardian editor, remarked, “Tufayl’s footprints mark the great classic.”

Ibn Tufayl’s novel tells the tale of Hayy, a boy growing up alone on a deserted island, with animals. As he grows up, Hayy uses his senses and reason to understand the workings of the natural world. He explores the laws of nature, devises a rational theology and entertains theories about the origin of the universe. He develops a sense of ethics: Out of mercy for animals, he turns vegetarian, and out of care for plants, he preserves their seeds.

Of course there is more, sounds very interesting. This is generally not my style of book at all, I prefer the SF that I gorged on in the 60s and 70s, but I have less time and often just pull out the Kindle. That said, my SIL referenced this article in a post and I am now committed to reading this so we can all discuss it when we meet this summer.

I am looking forward to it but it will be more work than I am used to...
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1055 on: April 24, 2021, 08:54 AM »
She sees them as a precursor to writing.

It goes to show you that long before there was such a thing as text, there was pretext.  Sorry, I could not resist.   ;D

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1056 on: May 12, 2021, 09:24 PM »
Project Hail Mary; A Novel Kindle Edition.jpgWhat books are you reading?

Project Hail Mary: A Novel Kindle Edition

I plan to read this after finishing my current book.

velaris

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1057 on: May 13, 2021, 05:18 AM »
Hi! I'm currently reading The Great Gatsby although I'm not very far along yet. The book is not very exciting but it isn't supposed to be. I've seen the movie so I thought why not read the book? Maybe it gets better.
Greetings

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1058 on: May 14, 2021, 01:43 PM »
I just enjoyed The Serene Invasion  by Eric Brown.  Not your usual "countries unite to fend off the external enemy" type of story.  A bit different.  Good food for thought.