topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Movies you've seen lately  (Read 545683 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Movies you've seen lately
« on: March 28, 2013, 02:37 PM »
The thread What are your favorite movies? is pretty active at the moment,
but I thought I'd add this one just for stuff you've seen lately (good or bad).

Hell (German/Swiss) 2011. Director Tim Fehlbaum's first full length feature.
I saw it dubbed in English. It got away with dubbing for me, cause it's not dialogue heavy.

Screenshot - 2013-03-28 , 20_19_41.pngMovies you've seen lately

'Hell' actually means bright in German. The photography is great (that should be cinematography I guess), often extremely overexposed in the heat of the sun. A post apocalyptic thriller in a world where the sun is 10° hotter; formerly fertile land and forests are dead. People looking for water/food. Good suspense. Not much visible gore which suits me fine ;-)
Gets 5.9 at IMDB - I thought it was a great movie, sure I could fault it, but for me it was a 7 or more.
Tom
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:16 AM by tomos, Reason: changed thread title to "Movies you\'ve seen lately" »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies or films you've seen lately
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:52 PM »
I saw Jack the Giant Slayer a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't that great.

It put me off right from the beginning with a CG sequence with such poor effects that I swear I've seen better from Barbie Dancing Princess movies that looked terrible in 2006. Unfortunately my opinion of Jack (the movie) never fully recovered after that, even though the effects were much better after that opening scene.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 05:20 PM by Deozaan »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 04:50 PM »
Speilberg's Lincoln.

lincoln.jpg

A very nicely executed and stylistically old-fashioned historical drama. With some truly outstanding acting on the part of Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones, and Hal Holbrook.

Only two semi-sappy/preachy moments in the entire film. And they weren't so "on the nose" that I felt the urge to start screaming: "Yeah...ok...we get it. We get it already."

Now that has to be some kind of record when it comes to a movie like this. ;D

(BTW: I don't know why I bothered to compliment Tommy Lee Jones. Because (by now) it probably would only be newsworthy if he didn't put in a stellar performance. That guy is just plain good!)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 05:18 PM »
MV5BMTk2MzczNjA0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTI2MTQ5._V1_SX214_.jpg

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 05:30 PM »
saddle.jpg
Tall in the Saddle
Surprisingly good story about a man who's framed for murder, but the good guys prevail in the end. Ella Raines takes charge and is hot from the start! Lots of famous people here, but this was Wayne at his best, even though I wasn't that fond of the actor.

also:
drive-angry-01.jpg
Drive Angry
Nicolas Cage is so bad an actor that I actually look forward to seeing what he'll do next, especially since he makes about ten movies a year. Cage escapes from Hell and comes across the smoking hot Amber Heard, and the two of them tear up the roads and the screen from there on. Lots of ass-whuppin, insults, broken bones, and even the cops get smashed and shot up.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 05:47 PM »
Obligatory joke:

We need a Schrodinger's Movie: That you have simultaneously seen and not seen!  :P

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 06:43 PM »
"Overtime" - stupid as hell but good enough to waste time on it:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1930434/

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 08:34 AM »
Speilberg's Lincoln.

That and "Zero Dark Thirty" are 2 on my "must not see" list.

To quote Mr. President Lincoln... ;)

From 4th Lincoln/Douglas Debate, 1858
 I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.

It gets worse. :P (Reference)

BTW - Was the movie remotely historically accurate?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 12:04 PM »
^I understand much of it was. Not that it mattered to me. I went to see it as a movie drama. Not to view it as a history lesson.

There are vastly better ways to learn about and study Lincoln and the American Civil War than from a 2 hour Spielberg film. And even then, historical significance and meaning will always be subject to interpretation. Even on those extremely rare occasions when all the facts surrounding a historic event are established and not subject to debate.

Like the DaVinci Code or JFK, Lincoln is only a movie.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Two days ago I saw The Fairy. Normally I'm not into French art house movies, but as this one is from the French speaking part of Belgium so I could resist the urge to turn it off immediately. And I am glad I did.

The actors in the movie will not win any beauty prize (no, not even a '...., and all I got was this lousy t-shirt' constellation prize)...and there is not too much dialog, so most of the movie is just visual interpretation. But they were able to keep you positively engaged with the story. And it is actually funny in a lot of places.

It is definitely entertaining enough to recommend to the DC connoisseur.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 10:06 PM »
Two days ago I saw The Fairy. Normally I'm not into French art house movies, but as this one is from the French speaking part of Belgium so I could resist the urge to turn it off immediately. And I am glad I did.

Thx. Looks like a sweet little film. Adding it to my "to see" list. :)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 10:10 PM »
MV5BMTM3NzIwNjE4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjk0MTUxMQ@@._V1._SX347_SY475_.jpg

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 12:18 AM »
I was about to make a snarky comment about Josh still being in the 1980s. But then I realized it was the DVD edition. So I guess he's finally graduated to the '00s. :P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 05:28 PM »
Blow
it gets 7.5 on IMDB - I'd give it about a four, if that :down: (maybe that's harsh, there were some good scenes...)
About George Jung -
the guy who got cocaine flowing in the US in the 1970's. Apparently he was basically a really nice guy who left it all behind, and all his problems were really caused by other people - especially the women in his life.
I dunno where they got the story (possibly from George Jung himself?) but it was like a propaganda film for him - left me doubting the storyline again and again. And the main dealers were just too good looking to be quite convincing...

Actually I saw a reasonably good drugs related film lately:
Snitch

MV5BNTM4MTYzNjA3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzcyNDA5OA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

reviewers on imdb seemed suprised about the lead guy being good because he was a profi-wrestler. I didnt know that when I saw it.
Based on the mandatory sentencing laws, where if you're caught with over a certain amount of drugs, the only way you can reduce your sentence is to implicate or setup someone else. A desperate father tries to setup someone to help reduce his son's sentence.
A good film - lots of action, but convincing story line and very real dealers in this one compared to the one above...
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 08:10 PM »
Riders of the Storm  :Thmbsup: A counter-culture gem from 1986 Starring Dennis Hopper.

rots.jpgMovies you've seen lately

This little political sci-fi comedy posits a post-VietNam war psychological warfare unit who somehow managed to commandeer a fully equipped 'psy-ops' B-29 which they've kept almost continuously airborn (for over 10 years) in order to operate the ultimate pirate television station: SMTV!

Dennis Hopper and Michael J. Pollard (Doc Tesla) lead a crew of misfit Vietnam veterans highly trained in psychological warfare and armed with a B29 equipped as a flying pirate TV station creating havoc for the broadcast networks and authorities as they fly the country on a crusade to bring radical philosophies and classic audiovisuals to a conservative and media brainwashed viewing public

There are several moments in the film that anticipate such things as torrents and the activities of Wikileaks and Anonymous.

It's available to watch (in true pirate fashion) in 10 minute chunks up on YouTube if they haven't pulled it already. First ten minutes below:

Renegade would have loved this flick! ;D

:Thmbsup:

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Shaun the Sheep ... I watch over and over again with my 2.5 years old daughter.  ;D

sds.jpg

SQUIDMAN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • WAT TV Squidman Videos
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 04:17 AM »
Saw the movie Hell on netflicks was pretty good, ending so so. Almost the same time saw a movie called Stake Land, with Kelly McGillis in it, but I didn't know it was the same chick as in Top Gun. I told my son at the time I know I've seen her before and then it just blew my mind the difference.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 11:18 AM »
The World According to Dick Cheney - a well made, non-judgmental documentary on the man.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 11:57 AM »
I went to Oblivion last weekend and really enjoyed it. I can't say it was mind blowing, and I could see the twists coming from a mile away ... but then, I consume too much entertainment to be surprised anymore :). That said, the film really felt (and sounded) like a 70's era sci-fi flick but with a much higher caliber visuals. There was a flight chase scene that I thought was unnecessary and didn't particularly enjoy, but I imagine that was required for most potential movie goers. I won't hold it against them, they more than made up for it by not making me have to rent 3D glasses.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 11:43 PM »
Cold Weather:
S5_3_2013 , 11_42_21 PM.png

Loved it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 12:46 PM »
re: Watchlist

Ooooo...my cuppa tea that sounds like! :-*

And I never even heard of it - which surprised me

Thx Mouser! Just put it on my "to watch" list. :)

P.S. The IMDB page had three suggestions I'm also gonna have to check out. Big score this one!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Don't go into it expecting much.  It's not really a mystery movie just a low key slow small non-rushed character-study movie.  You are either going to love it or hate it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 12:58 PM by mouser »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 12:54 PM »
^No worries. That works for me too.  8)

SQUIDMAN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • WAT TV Squidman Videos
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 03:20 AM »
I went to Oblivion TOO,  :(, felt let down, both me and my son thought it missed a lot of chances to be better. We lost interest in the last die hard movie also after the second time jumping out of a window both movies felt forced. We give a thumbs up to the latest GI Joe movie didn't try to take it's self to serious. :Thmbsup:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 06:14 PM »
I regretted spending money on the second GI-Joe (3D) installment. Admittedly, I am not that familiar with the background story, for me it was too much of jumble.