topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Movies you've seen lately  (Read 545628 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies you've seen lately
« Reply #875 on: November 29, 2019, 10:51 PM »
Knives Out:

Good stuff!

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #876 on: December 06, 2019, 12:57 AM »
Relaxing Sand Castle And ocean waves, with wave sounds 31m 17s
I have enjoyed -and still do- looping the playback and find it to be a great stress reliever both to watch and to just listen and fall asleep to.

Tracks (2013 film) & book of same title by Robyn Davidson.
In 1977, Robyn Davidson treks solo from Alice Springs across 2,700 kilometres (1,700 miles) of Australian deserts to the Indian Ocean with her dog and four camels. National Geographic photographer Rick Smolan documents her journey. The more she seeks to avoid publicity, the more the curiosity seekers try to hunt her down in awestruck admiration.
Before starting, she looks up a camel rancher and does volunteer work as his 'go-fer' in order to learn the ropes. He cheats her, but a second rancher helps her with four camels, including a mother cow and her half-grown calf. When the poor baby collapses due to tender footsies from the hot Australian desert, the ever-resourceful Robyn compassionately fashions stockings for him and gets him back on his feet. "Protect your camels from rogue males," the rancher had warned her, and given her a carbine. Vivid in my memory is the sight of three rogue male camels approaching in the distance, hell-bent on killing her tame males and baby and raping her cow, as Robyn chambers the first slug into her carbine and prepares to do battle.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:44 AM by holt »

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #877 on: January 02, 2020, 11:54 AM »
The Meg (2018) wiki
'The film follows a group of scientists who encounter a 75-foot-long (23 m) megalodon shark while on a rescue mission at the floor of the Pacific Ocean.'
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:58 PM by holt »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #878 on: January 02, 2020, 05:21 PM »
For music recommendations, I think the thread Recommend some music videos to me! would be a more appropriate place. :Thmbsup:

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #879 on: January 17, 2020, 08:36 PM »
Excerpt with David Warner and Malcolm McDowell dialogue in Time after Time (1979) 3m 57s
The film presents a story in which British author H. G. Wells uses his time machine to pursue Jack the Ripper -played to perfection by David Warner- into the 20th century.
"
Spoiler
In this 'cut' (no pun intended), Jack the Ripper tells off utopian idealistic H. G. Wells, who says to Jack, 'We don't belong here (in the violence-surfeited future)", "On the contrary, Herbert...The world has caught up with me, and surpassed me.''

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #880 on: January 19, 2020, 03:50 PM »
Just after seeing Ford v Ferarri
I prefer the name used here "Le Mans 66". Ford v Ferarri sounds banal to me... but it seems that was part of the problem with Ford at the time, they were considered boring. FWIW that's pretty much the way I think of Ford now, but you dont see a whole lot of their cars here, so I guess I shouldn't really judge.
Worth watching in the cinema for the racing. Well made -- I enjoyed it.

Screenshot - 2020-01-19 , 22_43_05.jpgMovies you've seen lately

https://www.rottento...com/m/ford_v_ferrari
https://www.imdb.com...6/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Tom

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #881 on: January 27, 2020, 10:38 PM »
Captain Kidd (1945) A digitally colorized classic.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:14 PM by holt »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #882 on: January 30, 2020, 01:37 PM »
Saw Joker last weekend and... meh. The character was not well-developed, just his history of abuse was slowly revealed while he almost constantly smoked throughout the movie. I don't remember the Joker being a smoker in the illustrated books I have. The last 15-20 minutes is the relevant part of the story. Heath Ledger still owns that character for originality.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #883 on: January 30, 2020, 08:17 PM »
And Then There Were None (1945) - I consider this to be the best live action version of Agatha Christie's magnificent murder mystery. Endearing and intriguing all-star cast. Digitally colorized.

Two ways that I find such classics are either by looking up in Wikipedia what other films a favorite star has appeared in, or by checking what other films the YouTube user has also posted.

With Wikipedia, I often find in doing so, that I've fallen deeply in favor of the amalgamation of both the big screen charms of the fictional character, and the theatrical gifts of the real-life film star, rather than just the one or the other only.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:33 PM by holt »

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #884 on: March 15, 2020, 07:16 AM »
Telefon with Charles Bronson, Lee Remick, Donald Pleasence, & Tyne Daly
https://archive.org/details/telefon_77
click on 'fullscreen view' icon for full screen
join archive.org for free and you can 'borrow' the book

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #885 on: August 25, 2020, 07:54 PM »
The Wasp Network

https://www.youtube..../watch?v=taMNuQDTUr4

I dowlnoad with no prior notice from RARBG and liked.
With Penelope Cruz

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #886 on: January 11, 2021, 01:53 AM »
I watched Mortal Engines (2018) recently.

The basic premise was interesting: Huge vehicular cities which travel the earth consuming other cities for resources. Visually, it was quite an enjoyable spectacle. I've heard some people say the effects were terrible, but I thought it looked really good for the most part. It had a nice steampunk aesthetic, but also with some sci-fi, futuristic technology.

It takes place a thousand or so years into the future. I don't recall if the exact (or approximate) date is mentioned elsewhere, but during the movie they make a joke about a Twinkie that has a "best if eaten by" date of 2118 and one of the characters remarks with disgust that the Twinkie is "over a thousand years old." It's a funny joke about them supposedly lasting forever, but it's sullied by the fact that a woman refers to one as an "inkie" (because the label has been partially worn off the packaging) as if the guy she's talking to should know what that is, and also implying that she's seen more of them before. But that would mean that every package of Twinkies she's ever come across all had the "Tw" worn away from the packaging in a similar way. Yeah, I know that's a minor plothole nitpick. :)

Even though I was intrigued by the basic premise, the overall story shown in the movie wasn't very interesting to me. I'm not sure if it was ever explained why the cities roamed the land. I missed some of the exposition at the beginning because it was done in a distorted, raspy voice which was a little hard to understand over the din of people getting settled in to watch while the TV volume wasn't quite high enough. I think it just said that there was some kind of an apocalypse which eventually led to the "predator" cities being created. But the world looked fairly verdant and rich in resources to me, so it wasn't clear to me why they thought their cities couldn't remain stationary like the cities of "the ancients" did (in our time).

The acting was fine for the most part, but there was never anything in the story that got me to care about any of the characters. In fact, the only character I felt any real sense of empathy for was a robot which was supposedly devoid of any feeling, supposedly designed with pure malice and hatred, and I think they said it was created for the express purpose of killing. (Spoiler alert: it turns out that seemingly none of that was true, at least for this particular robot.)

The movie was about two hours, which felt long to me because I just kept waiting for it to get good, and it never really did, IMO. The first ten minutes featured a somewhat exciting chase scene which I hoped gave me some preview of what we'd be seeing more of, but when it was over the movie just fell flat and never really delivered any more of the whole "predator city" chasing down "prey cities" or battling other predator cities.

In short, it was a movie with very nice production values, good acting (for the most part), really good special effects, and basically had everything going for it except that it failed to tell a compelling story with compelling characters. So I just didn't really care about what was happening, to whom it was happening, or why. Pity.

P.S. I just went and found and watched the trailer so I could link to it in this post, and it basically shows/tells the entire story of the movie.

Now that I know it's "spoiled" in the trailer, I'll say this: In about the first 20 minutes the bad guy is revealed to be the bad guy without any doubt. I feel the movie would have been much better if he didn't immediately show his true colors, and insisted there was some kind of misunderstanding which he regretted and wanted to clear up or somehow make amends for. Instead of him pushing Tom off the city, the city could have rolled over a big bump or something and he could have accidentally fallen. Then we could have spent the majority of the film wondering who was telling the truth and if the bad guy was actually as bad as Hester (the girl with the red scarf who attacks the bad guy, and who I spent the whole movie thinking was named "Esther") was making him out to be.

And in fact the story may have been even better if the bad guy actually was telling the truth and wasn't a bad guy after all. But that would have completely changed the main conflict of the movie (stop the bad guy from taking over the world!) and I'm not sure what it would have been replaced with. There was a subthread about a group of people who hated the moving cities and wanted to stop them. Maybe the movie could have been more about the conflict between those two groups. Maybe both groups could have had roughly equally valid viewpoints which they didn't see eye-to-eye on, and so there would be conflict and war there, without requiring the plot to have the "singular evil scientist wants to take over the world" trope. Or maybe the main conflict could have been the same, but it would have been someone else who was the mad scientist trying to take over the world and Hester and Valentine could have had a reconciliation.

But if any/all that would have been too hard to do, then I think I would have preferred to just see a movie about roaming cities battling each other. Like a giant demolition derby or BattleBots on a huge scale or something. Just some good looking but brainless action schlock on par with Pacific Rim would have been more engaging than the movie they released as Mortal Engines.

Supposedly the book is much, much better than the movie was. But I suppose that should go without saying.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 03:45 AM by Deozaan »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #887 on: February 04, 2021, 08:29 PM »
Sputnik (2020)

Sputnik.png

At the height of the Cold War, a Soviet spacecraft crash lands after a mission gone awry, leaving the commander as its only survivor. After a renowned Russian psychologist is brought in to evaluate the commander's mental state, it becomes clear that something dangerous may have come back to Earth with him.

Slow moving story line, (well, the events of 2 weeks or so compressed into 2 hours), not heavy on action or SFX but I never found it boring, I think it moved at a good pace and I enjoyed it.

Russian cinematography always seems to look better than it's western counterpart, maybe it's the lack of over-reliance on CGI.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #888 on: February 11, 2021, 10:27 AM »
American Hero

Kind of a cute flick.  Nothing profound.  A way to pass some time.  Eddie Griffin has the main supporting role in this buddy flick with a super power(telekinesis) thrown in for laughs.  Stephen Dorff is the hero.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #889 on: February 12, 2021, 10:40 AM »
The Eight Hundred (2020)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7294150/

:o :o

From the acclaimed filmmaker behind Mr. Six comes a riveting war epic. In 1937, eight hundred Chinese soldiers fight under siege from a warehouse in the middle of the Shanghai battlefield, completely surrounded by the Japanese army.
It's like... Band of Brothers meets Dunkirk... in China! Okay, okay... it's not quite as good, but really good if you can overlook that it was clearly (mostly) made for a Chinese audience.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eight_Hundred:

Guan Hu had been preparing for the film for 10 years. The Eight Hundred is the first Chinese and Asian film shot entirely on IMAX cameras. The production team had built a real scene of 68 buildings with an area of 133,333-square-metre (1,435,180 sq ft) in Suzhou, east China's Jiangsu province.
That's impressive, and I bet https://en.wikipedia...i/Chinese_numerology had something to do with that square meter number.  8)

This sums it up:

Maggie Lee of Variety describes the film as "monumental, if sometimes unwieldy" and comparing The Eight Hundred to Dunkirk, "the saga does share similar sentiments of survival, grit and triumph in defeat" to Dunkirk (2017) and "it too plunges audiences into both the intimacy and magnitude of brutal war spectacle while immersing them in a stunningly mounted period canvas."

Cath Clarke of The Guardian praised the film, characterizing it as an “Ear-rattling, breathtaking battle for [the] Chinese Alamo” and stating that “Guan goes hammer and tongs with the special effects, delivering stupendously, joint-rattlingly-loud battle scenes and combat sequences edited to the lightning pace of a superhero movie.” and “with so much intense focus lavished on the action, there’s none to spare for the characters’ emotional lives, and it’s hard to care much about who lives or dies.”

Michael Ordoña of the Los Angeles Times criticized the film’s character development, stating, “Unfortunately, “Eight Hundred” skips over the whole character-development part, along with the logic of many choices and scenes. “ and “Yet somehow, we don’t get to know any of these folks. The sort-of protagonists are a collection of deserters and draft-dodgers forced to aid with the defense.”

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #890 on: February 18, 2021, 01:34 PM »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #891 on: February 18, 2021, 02:04 PM »
Mortal

Pretty decent retelling of Norse myths from a more thriller perspective.  Reminded me of Ragnarok

Outside the Wire

Medium-rate action flick with a heavy handed but not especially well written morality message baked in.  Decent action, though nothing that really enforces the fact that he's superhuman.  Training day wannabe.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #892 on: March 20, 2021, 03:12 PM »
Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12361974/

I rated it 8/10. The whole "OMG, this alien bad boy has already conquered/destroyed 1000000000000 worlds, now we must defend our planet!!!!1111" theme didn't fully resonate with me. There were a few goofs, the car/flirt scene was so obviously flawed IMHO that I really can't understand how they shot that scene in this (totally illogical) way. Still, those 4 long hours had some really good scenes!

And I agree with 'everyone' that this Snyder Cut is better than the original

Justice League (2017)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0974015/

which I had rated 7/10.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #893 on: March 20, 2021, 07:25 PM »
The Mandalorian - Trailer

For myself, I did liked it alot.
Story is about a bountyhunter that get into trouble while rescuing a little lifeform.
Placed in Star-Wars Galaxy.

One-Punch Man - Trailer

Too cool, cant be missed.
Story is about a guy that is overpowered. All Martial Arts Fans should see and enjoy.
Many fun fights vs monsters.

Overlord - Trailer

Every girl or boy that likes RPG should watch and love that series!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #894 on: March 20, 2021, 11:43 PM »
Overlord is/was indeed a good Anime drawn style story.

Attack on Titan is, in my opinion, an even better story.

When I was younger I watched a lot more Anime/Manga. Nowadays I hardly watch, as there is too much drab. However, Attack on Titan and Overlord are modern examples of two good stories. Don't diss these too quickly, just because these are anime. With Attack on Titan it really is better to start watching it with a slate as blank as possible.

Attack on Titan - trailer:

Season 1 is OK, Seasons 2 and 3 are definitely better than the first. The 4th and last season is still being broadcasted on a weekly basis.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 11:55 PM by Shades »

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #895 on: March 22, 2021, 06:09 AM »
Wonder Woman 1984 - Trailer

I went to the drive-in cinema with my family on the weekend to watch this film together.
Unfortunately I can't say anything more about the content except that I fell asleep after 10 minutes.
In other words, the anticipation was greater than what the film had to offer.

Attack on Titan is, in my opinion, an even better story.
I just can approve that too. I like this series a lot too!

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #896 on: April 07, 2021, 10:56 AM »
Godzilla vs Kong - Trailer

Since I am a Monstermovie fan, this title is my taste.
I would say 6 from 10 possible stars.
It does more feel like they wanted to earn quick cash instead of producing a cool story.

mini Review:
Spoiler
Kong wakes up isolated, Godzilla attack a town, Soldiers try bring Kong to Godzilla to let them fight, Kong loose, new Challenger approaches, Metal-Godzilla vs Godzilla, Godzilla loose.
Kong and Godzilla team up vs that metal beast. Win. Happy end.

(review is really extreme cutted)
CGI effects are cool made.
Dialogs halfway entertaining.
It is worth to watch.

alliego

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #897 on: April 14, 2021, 10:02 AM »
Unbroken was the latest. And it was awesome! :Thmbsup: :)

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #898 on: April 17, 2021, 07:43 PM »
Justice League Snyder Cut - Trailer

Short review:
This movie is good and bad at once.
Why is it good? Because I do like superhero-uber flicks  :P
For real, it has very good CGI effects and a good amount of different characters inside.
Dialogs are sometimes funny but often you see more pictures than talking.
Why is it bad?
The way it is cutted, they way how they integrated everything and the way how the story goes are all very confusing.
If you have seen the older DC movies you will be disappointed because of the above line.
If you have not seen the older DC movies you will often think "wtf is going on here".
For my taste it jump to often in time with its story.

Hardcore fans will love the new extended scenes from the old Justice League and can talk about.
To me as a normal fan, the 4 hours(!) that I needed to watch it was not satisfying.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #899 on: April 18, 2021, 12:14 PM »
Nobody (2021)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7888964/

A bystander who intervenes to help a woman being harassed by a group of men becomes the target of a vengeful drug lord.

Highly recommended if you like lots of violence (and want to find out where the kitty cat bracelet ends up). :D

In addition to Bob Odenkirk, the cast includes Connie Nielsen, RZA, Aleksei Serebryakov, and Christopher Lloyd.