topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Show us a picture of your.. CAR!!!  (Read 125664 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Show us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
« on: February 21, 2013, 06:18 PM »
I'm a long time city dweller, and have never owned a car..

In the last few years I have started driving again, and am lucky enough to be near a ZipCar location (zipcar is a great by-the-hour car sharing/rental thing).

I'm actually pretty thrilled with ZipCar but it's not the most convenient thing, and after spending over $700 in car rental last year, I'm starting to dream of buying a used car.

If I'm honest with myself I have to admit that a big chunk of wanting to buy a car is to have a new gadget to love, but the freedom would also be nice.

Now truth be told, I can't really afford a car so i'm just kind of day dreaming about one and browsing craigslist.

But it has made me start to get really curious about cars, and which cars people like, and if people are happy owning cars, etc.

And then it occurred to me that it would be fun to have a Car thread.  So please, post an actual (not stock) photo of your car, and tell me why you like it or don't like it...

ps.  If you have a spare car you want to donate and live near Illinois, drive it on down to my house!

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Show us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:22 PM »
o110816bx.jpg

Here's my Dacia Duster. Yeah, we have weird cars here in greater Europe.

I like it because it's cheap, it has high ground clearance, and it's a miser diesel.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:25 PM »
DSCF4005.JPGShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

This was taken last June.  This car FINALLY goes away on Monday, when we get a Ford Focus (2013 model).

Honestly...the car has been nothing but trouble since the day it left the showroom.  As you can see in the picture...it was broken then...(Spare wheel).

Never buy Vauxhall...NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The blur isn't the camera...it's the evil trying to break free from the car.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 07:10 PM »
H2-05.JPG

My Hummer H2.  I like it because it's wider than the average truck, it sits way up in the air, it has 4X4, can haul heavy loads like my boat, and has enough room to carry a small troup of soldiers.   ;)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:14 PM »
Tinman...You just earned 10 Man points.  Congratulations!  :D

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:21 PM »
@mouser car rental is much like house/apartment, one does it for the feeling of ownership otherwise it is always more expensive to own.

As far as my car goes, regular Corolla, very boring just like me  :D

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Tinman...You just earned 10 Man points.  Congratulations!  :D

WHOO HOO!  10 Man Points!!!!   :Thmbsup:  Hey, how many man points would I get for my copter?  OH! OH!  How many for my copter being towed by my Hummer???   :D

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 08:27 PM »
When you can be without owning a car, keep it that way. Unless it is your hobby and you like to do maintenance yourself. Only a wife can spend/waste money faster than a car. But only just. Of course thats in the case you don´t get stopped by police or being caught by a camera...and find 3 weeks later a check in the mail for 50 euros, written out to the municipal, because you were speeding 3 kilometers an hour. Or 5 km/h, but then the ticket is already 75 euro. 

Freedom, right. To independedly go from one gas station to the next, while bringing the rest of your money to your local government. In the Netherlands a car like eleman´s would easily cost you 120 euro a month or more, depending on the size of the engine, the type of fuel it uses and general weight. The car has not moved one inch. If you want to do that, you pay close to 2 euros per liter of fuel, depending on type and location of the gas station.

Also, when your car is 3 years or older, you have to do an annual checkup at a station that is allowed to do so. Whatever they say is broken/worn/out of regulation you have to fix. Prices for this test vary, I always had to pay around 65 euros. Cost of the repairs would vary. And if the repairs take too long, you would have to pay again for the test.

Insurance for a car like eleman´s, would also be around 120 euros monthly for not much more than basic coverage. Fines for any of the above are high.

No, When I came to Paraguay, I didn´t need a car anymore and that felt liberating...much more liberating than being the owner of a car ever gave me.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but I am glad to be rid of that moneypit.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:44 PM »
I really like Honda, they make a really good car.
This is my latest Honda, an Accord, and my wife drives a CRV from Honda.
The CRV is all wheel drive, useful for bad winter weather, if you keep on the street.
A 4 wheel drive is better for off road, different from all wheel drive

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 11:55 PM »
I have been extremely blessed.. I've owed a few (cheap) BMW's.  I finally got over the brand (No cup holders... really!)

All I really want out of life is a reliable, well handling car, that doesn't cost $150 to change the oil.

I ended up with an Acura TL-SHawd.  TL, SH w/ All Wheel Drive.  I love driving it and I am really not worthy. :)

car
and<br>
car
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 05:47 AM »
Acura is made by Honda, and Lexus by Toyota.
Both good cars.
Kia makes a good car too. They put Hyundai motors in their cars.
I have not driven a Hyundai, but we had a Kia Optima till it was totaled.
It was a good car, and still a good buy imo.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 06:43 AM »
Over the years, I've driven:

Monte Carlo
Hyundai Stellar
Ford Tempo
Cutlass
Cutlass Sierra
VW Fox
Volvo 950 Turbo
MyVie

Not sure if I'm forgetting anything...

My current car is a 1996 Mercedes-Benz E230:

CIMG2181.JPGShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

It's a decent car, and wasn't too expensive. They go forever if you take care of them. And, I'm due for a tune up.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 10:16 AM »
Only a wife can spend/waste money faster than a car

Someone said: "G-Spot has been exactly located: it's at the end of the word «shopping»".
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 11:07 AM »
My current car is a 1996 Mercedes-Benz E230
[...] They go forever if you take care of them.

mine is '96 too - just a *little* smaller ;-)
Toyota Starlet. Reached 300,000km a couple of months ago. Had it ten years now. Things wear out but I've never been let down by it (knocking frantically on wood here). Cant push it as much as before, but it still does a steady 90mph okay. Will have to dig out a pic, or take a new one.
Tom

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Probably talking too much here, but anyway...
For small to medium cars I'd pick honda or toyota or another import. imo
They are put together here in the us mostly I believe.

I drove a honda civic for a while too, good car.
I was down to choosing between the civic or the accord when I settled on the accord.
Higher off the ground makes it easier to get in and out of.
I had to go with a 4 door because the 2 door cars have a longer door to deal with.
Plus I wanted easy access to the back seat.

For a full size car I'd pick the big Fords.
Dependable and they last forever.
The Crown Victoria is the big Ford.

I did have Dodge truck from '91 to 2004.
Put over 250,000 miles on it before I retired from self-employed.
Then gave it to my brother who is still driving it. 300k plus now and still going.
So that new dodge Dart may be worth checking out.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 07:36 PM »
  Well I showed my Hummer, guess I could put my car in here too.  A turbocharged 2011 VW GTI.  Fast little bugger, 0-60 in 6.9 secs and 150 mph top end, and still gets 33 mpg highway....  And oh, that German engineering!

2011_VW-GTI.jpg

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 07:42 PM »
It's a decent car, and wasn't too expensive. They go forever if you take care of them. And, I'm due for a tune up. 

It's really hard to beat that German engineering, nice ride Renny.  I couldn't list all the cars/trucks I've owned over the years, just way too many to list.  Just in the last 5 years I've owned 6 vehicles.  I just sold a 1970 Mustang Mach I that I've had for years and years, it was my sunny Sunday driver.  lol

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 09:08 PM »
Honda Insight.

IMG_3743.JPGShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

Whoops! Missed the story part...

Anyway, I had a Toyota Paseo (Cynos in some market, I believe) from 1997 that probably would still be going, but it was totaled when someone missed a STOP and crashed on my left side. So, since I had been interested in the combination of engine + motor of the hybrids for some months, and there was some interesting incentives at the time, I got the Insight.
I am very pleased with it; it's not a sporty car, but the CVT make for a very fluid drive, and the combination of the optimal rpm at any speed and the torque boost from the electric motor make it very effective in the windy mountain roads, for example.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:55 AM by Mark0 »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 09:23 PM »

It's really hard to beat that German engineering, nice ride Renny.  I couldn't list all the cars/trucks I've owned over the years, just way too many to list.  Just in the last 5 years I've owned 6 vehicles.  I just sold a 1970 Mustang Mach I that I've had for years and years, it was my sunny Sunday driver.  lol

The Fox was a good car... until some lovely driver pulled out in front of me from oncoming traffic out of the blue. Write off. Had her kid in the passenger seat - lucky I swerved enough or the kid would have been hosed - likely dead.

The Mercedez was relatively inexpensive. I had to get a larger sedan as my wife tends to get carsick in smaller cars, which so far has never happened with the Merc. I wanted a sportier car, but that was out of the question.

But honestly, you've got the slickest vehicle in this thread by far~! Love that Hummer! They're damn sexy beasts!  :Thmbsup:

Cars in North American are dirt cheap compared to many other places. Here they're far more. Same with Korea. Malaysia is very strict as well as they have a domestic car industry to protect.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 09:59 PM »
Toyota BJ73 Landcruiser work/play horse - 27 years old, reliable and has a heat exchanger for a nice hot shower in the bush :)

bj73.jpg

Our other car is a boring 2000 Hyundai Accent with hail damage, (although I maintain that enables it to go faster as per a golf ball).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 11:04 PM »
i'm enjoying all the car pics and stories -- keep 'em coming!

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 11:07 PM »
You want freedom and cheap? Get a motorcycle!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 01:26 AM »
Ooops... My bad. My Volvo was a 940 Turbo (1992 - that I remember):

Super_Simple_resized_CIMG1190_800x600.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

Super_Simple_resized_CIMG1192_800x600.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

That's when I got it - I hadn't washed it up yet.

It ran very well. AC was broken, but hey, that's what the sunroof and windows are for, eh? :D

Alas, it was stolen...

I drove that car in Seoul after YEARS of just using public transportation & taxis. Public transport in Seoul is EXCELLENT! Absolutely fantastic. And if you want to take a taxi, they're cheap and you rarely need to wait more than 2 minutes - they are EVERYWHERE!

However, once I got the Volvo, man... I was just so much happier. The convenience of having a car, even in a city with some of the best public transportation in the world, just kicks butt.

To put it in a nutshell...

1) Go grocery shopping (or whatever shopping)
2) Buy groceries:
2-a) Buy just enough that you can carry?
2-b) Buy however much you damn well feel like?

One of A/B is for not having a car, and the other is for having a car. Let's play guess which? ;D :P

Answer
Oh sheesh! Figure it out on your own~! :P ;D

When I got to where I am now, the public transportation is poor, and ranked the worst among the major cities in the country - well, from a report I saw in a newspaper shortly after arriving. Anyways, I knew a car would be a must immediately - even before reading the report.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 02:18 AM »
  WHOO HOO!  10 Man Points!!!!   :Thmbsup:  Hey, how many man points would I get for my copter?  OH! OH!  How many for my copter being towed by my Hummer???   :D

:o Not sure whether you're kidding or not! It not... Post a pic of someone in the Hummer towing you in the copter with your AR-15, a cigar, and a bottle of JD! Man Points off the charts~! ;D  :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 02:25 AM »
When you can be without owning a car, keep it that way. Unless it is your hobby and you like to do maintenance yourself. Only a wife can spend/waste money faster than a car. But only just. Of course thats in the case you don´t get stopped by police or being caught by a camera...and find 3 weeks later a check in the mail for 50 euros, written out to the municipal, because you were speeding 3 kilometers an hour. Or 5 km/h, but then the ticket is already 75 euro. 

Freedom, right. To independedly go from one gas station to the next, while bringing the rest of your money to your local government. In the Netherlands a car like eleman´s would easily cost you 120 euro a month or more, depending on the size of the engine, the type of fuel it uses and general weight. The car has not moved one inch. If you want to do that, you pay close to 2 euros per liter of fuel, depending on type and location of the gas station.

Also, when your car is 3 years or older, you have to do an annual checkup at a station that is allowed to do so. Whatever they say is broken/worn/out of regulation you have to fix. Prices for this test vary, I always had to pay around 65 euros. Cost of the repairs would vary. And if the repairs take too long, you would have to pay again for the test.

Insurance for a car like eleman´s, would also be around 120 euros monthly for not much more than basic coverage. Fines for any of the above are high.

No, When I came to Paraguay, I didn´t need a car anymore and that felt liberating...much more liberating than being the owner of a car ever gave me.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but I am glad to be rid of that moneypit.

Seems to me like you're mixing up the freedom that a car brings with the chains that a bureaucracy throws around you. They're not the same.

I'd love to post a bit on that, however, I wouldn't ever post it as I possibly might perhaps say something that would maybe be admitting to or not admitting to what in some jurisdictions might or might not be some sort of an offense or non-offense or compliance or non-compliance with an existing or imaginary regulation or statue or unspoken rule or pigment of someone's imaginatory fantastical illusions of stuff. :P