topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1020752 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to the site Ruffnekk, glad to have you here  :Thmbsup:

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, I am Jacques,
I like computers but don't know programming except for HTML. (Built 2 websites for my ex-employer) I am now 63 and retired with Marie who was a high school director.
I like to try new programs and manage to almost crash approx. once a week ;D. I have done 2 recoveries so far on my new HP purchased in september 2006 (superbundled computer with dual core processor.) Of course it takes a few days to debundle and reset the software the way it was before the almost crash. (It actually totally crashed: no winsock= no desktop).
This site is interesting and I hope it stays that way.
 I am available for translation from english to french if you need it for programs or help files.
Salutations to all.
Jacques.
Oh ye,
I am from Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

JR

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to the site Jacques, make yourself at home  :Thmbsup:

gregheaton

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, I'm Greg, I'm a 29yr old Aussie working for a large Industrial Controls company. I work in the Technical Support department which at times can be quite busy. At the moment I'm on my last night of a 2 week business trip in China and leaving for a week trip to Sth Korea, then will be back home by end of first week of december...

My programming experience is long, but shallow...I learnt VB5 (i think) in TAFE (a bit like college) about 7 years ago, from there I really just learnt things the hard way. Recently I have been writing a few apps for work to automate simple procedures. I wouldnt say my programming skills are good, but my fault finding and information seeking skills are excellent. So with google, I can do most anything...lol.

I have recently taken a liking to c# and dont find it that hard to understand, I'm just struggling to find the time to practice.

Anyway, I'll see if i can contribute to the coding snack for ideas or solutions...please be gentle...lol

kittytoast

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dudes.
From Calgary, Alberta.
A computer refurbisher [volunteer].
Learning to manage XP - for those who can visualize the wink* wink* read between the lines.

Also, a Linux newb - Ubuntu and Kubuntu [VERY shiny].
Hope that I can donate soon.
Credit problems at present [not that that'll stop me for long].

I have my ways of getting out of debt. [no ,not bankrupcy]
Nice to be here. :)

Jealous of those with a corner office.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 04:48 PM by kittytoast »

sipsake

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello All,
I can't remember how I came across this site...could've been surfing, might've been googling, maybe even Stumbled upon it. However I got here, I'm glad it happended. This is an incredible place. I'm a software junkie and have found Nirvana.

My name's Kevin Anderson, I'm 42, married, and I live in Memphis, Tennessee, home of Elvis, Pork BBQ, Blues and not much else worth mentioning.

I know virtually nothing about writing code except for a course in BASIC I took in college back in '84 to fulfill my language requirement, and a half-a**ed attempt at learning VB.Net about 6 months ago. (I did manage a successful "Hello World" web app, thank you)

Actually I spend much of my time in mortal combat with application developers. See...I'm a Systems/Network Admin. and am often blamed for unexpected errors when applications make their way to my test environment. And I must admit, it is foolish of me to design the test systems based on the specs of our end users and not the hardware used by the developers. Such is life.

However, you all seem like a convivial lot, and not at all insane, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

Southern DOS: Y'all reckon? (Yep/Nope)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome greg, kittytoast, and kevin (sipsake)  :Thmbsup:

Glad to have you here and with us for the new year.  Make yourself at home :)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My real name is Chaim Krause and I live in Kansas City, Missouri, USA. I am a computer professional currently, but I have dabbled in many professions. I spend almost all my time in front of a computer, both at work and at home. I live by myself with my American Eskimo Dog named Washington (short for General George Washington) and my cat Pudems. I am interested in just about anything having to do with computers and with the hobby of wargaming.

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, everyone.  I live in the northeast U.S. and I'm wrapping up a career as a public interest lawyer, writing, speaking, and doing related activities.  Even though I'm not a programmer, I can't live without the community of this site.  Except for this site :D, I spend entirely too much time at the computer.

I have a dear family that includes a computer whizz and a teacher.  Plus a part-time dog that I share with an ex-spouse -- kind of a Thai ridgeback (the dog, not the spouse ;)).
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I guess i never made a decent presentation about myself in this thread, so here it is:

Hi! My real name is João G Paiva.
I live in Portugal and i'm a student.
I study computer engeneering at Instituto Superior Técnico in Lisbon.
I live with 2 friends of mine, who also study at the same university and, as we live very near to our university, we have lots of free time, which i translate into heavily frequenting DC.
I don't have any hobbys other than trying to constantly improve my computer experience. I do like to occasionally play squash, the only sport that i really enjoy playing.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello,

My name is Carl Thorpe.  I teach computers at an elementary school in Texas.  All students from Kindergarten through fourth grade come to the computer lab.  I am currently working on full teaching certification, and I hope to be teaching in a regular classroom next year.

I have been using computers for more than 20 years.  I am interested in integration of technology and education, especially as it pertains to young children.  My hobbies include reading and watching movies.

Carl

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello, I'm Chris Larcombe and I'm 60.
My expertise is in communications research.  I acted as an adviser to national and regional governments and also to most major companies in Canada (where I now live) and many others in the U.S. and the U.K.  These days I have fewer clients; that's because about 10 years ago I decided to begin a move towards retirement.
Programming was never more than a hobby for me.  When I first owned a personal computer it was a case of program what you need or use this lump of hardware as a quirky ornament.  Today, so much 'off-the-shelf' material is available that it's often better for me to use that.   Computers are an abiding interest of mine.
My wife is an artist.  She and I live in rural Ontario, some distance east of Toronto.  We have two dogs, a black German shepherd (Mars) and a wire-haired fox terrier (Ripley).  Having already enjoyed life in some major cities we now like the peace and space of country living.
Donation Coder provides some relaxation for me, and without the need to leave home. 
I'm delighted to make your acquaintance. 

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
Hi there.  I'm "y0himba" and I am a 40 year old father of 5 from PA, married for 15 years.  I drive a school bus, and I am a proud support tech.  I run my own small computer troubleshooting business here and I love to troubleshoot, to fix, without loss of data.  To me, if you need to format, it's not fixed.  I also design web sites for businesses here in my small town, and help run a small foundation that gets computers and Internet access to underprivileged families, and small "mom & pop" businesses in our area.  My wife has two Burger King stores, one here in town, the other about 40 minutes from here.

I spend my time either here on the computer, or in The Outer Banks, NC.  I am not very wealthy, but I made a small donation because I truly feel this is a wonderful concept, and I use many of the utilities here, I find then extremely useful without all the garbage that comes with expensive software.

BTW:  Nice to meet you all, long thread to read  :P

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Free burger king to all DC members in PA !  :P

Good to see you posting y0himba, set your avatar image when you get a chance!
Hi also to carl and chris - glad to see you on this thread  :Thmbsup:

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
I am doing that now LOL!  I switched domains and forgot to hit all the forums I am on....

EDIT:  There, that's better!  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 06:08 PM by y0himba »

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
Ok...here it goes I am Carroll from the Oldest Town in Tennessee, USA.  There is a little research for some of you...I am an amateur radio operator and have been a licensed one since 1998.  I also like programming simple stuff, website graphics/designing, and a few other things.  :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 11:40 PM by hamradio »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok...here it goes I am Carroll from the Oldest Town in Tennessee, USA.  There is a little research for some of you...I am an amateur radio operator and have been a licensed one since 1998.  I also like programming simple stuff, website graphics/designing, and a few other things.  :)

My Dad was a ham.  WN5TOE (originally, WB5TOE way back when...)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:08 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

baesparza

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My name is Bradley. I hail from the city of Kent, Washington on the Easthill above the fertile Green River Valley in the beautiful and incomparable Pacific Northwest. USA out of the Pacific Northwest! (Whew) I am 44yo and am a native of King County where I live.

I am a lazy end user that likes ease of use and pretty colors. I am a rookie Rugby player and I like to thrift shop. I ♡ Pop Culture in its many manifestations, including art, music and books. I sing and play piano somewhat; and garden and cook.

nrenfree

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am a 41 year old interactive architect working for a publishing company. They gave me that title because they can't pay me much.  :D  I have lived in California all my life except for a few years in Indiana enjoying "real" seasons." I am a diehard Macaddict who loves this site because of the spirit and camaraderie I find here. Since I program cross-platform, I use some of the software found here and delight in seeing what's new even if I can't use it. I have two cats, one of whom is purring at me right now telling me he is OH SOOOOOO Hungry. That's about all that's fit to print.

Take Care

Arjen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Codingspace.org
    • Donate to Member
Hi everybody,

My name is Arjen (pronounced "AR-yen"), I'm 33 and I live in Utrecht, a city in The Netherlands known for its canals, Dom church tower and university. I currently work for an environmental consulting company, where I develop software for the environmental field. Our software is mainly used by governmental organisations for managing their environmental data (e.g. soil data, but also environmental permits).

I learned to program on the venerable Commodore 64 and have been doing it (on and off) ever since. I program under Windows at work, but I am using Linux for my daily computing tasks at home. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to programming under Linux yet - hopefully in the future.

I enjoy hiking in the "great outdoors" to compensate for my inactive time behind the screen.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In compliance with the future Cody Club charter, I'm finally posting something on this thread:

My real job is an electrical engineer.  I used to do mechanical engineering before that, and before that I was a high school teacher.  And before that, I was planning on joining the medical profession and I was doing bioengineering work.  Actually, one of my possible destinations was the University of Illinois (like mouser).  I live in Los Angeles, I'm 28.  I love playing basketball, and I love playing music (jazz piano and organ).  Now I feel like I'm filling out questions for an online dating site.

PS I also just filled out my DC biography, so you can read more interesting information by clicking on that red document button under the avatar.  I always wondered what that button was for!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:46 AM by superboyac »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi... I *swear* that I posted in this thread long ago but can find no evidence to support this so...

I love this site. I discovered it (can't remember how) two years ago and donated the same day. Like others posting in this thread, I wouldn't want to be without it.

As to myself, I am a PhD candidate (Neanderthal evolutionary ecology and morphology) and a college instructor (University Transfer - Anthropology) but my favourite job is father to two boys, Jack and Thomas. Along with their mother, we live in the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. Before we had our boys, Younhee and I lived in England (four years) and in South Korea (four years).

What I know about programming could be written on the head of a pin and I know just enough about Windows to SERIOUSLY disable any machine running any flavour of it!

My user name is Darwin but my friends call me Mike :)

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
You + Computer = Darwin Award? ;D Just kidding, had to though...

Wow, I am residing with giants here.  All the education and lofty purposes, here I am never graduated high school, nor went to college. It's incredibly nice to see this on a forum, being open and truthful without the usual forum "face" contests that go on.  You've all heard the saying about arguing on the Internet...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You + Computer = Darwin Award?  Just kidding, had to though...

Good one - very apt, unfortunately :-[ Actually, I've learned from my mistakes but do spend far, far too much time tinkering with a tool that is supposed to be enabling me to work more efficiently on other things (PhD data analysis, dissertation write up, balancing my chequebook, etc.).

As for education... I've met high school dropouts that make Rhodes Scholars look like special ed students... Education is a fine thing, but it is not the only thing and it shouldn't define us. I only wish that that insight had come more cheaply - in both time served and money spent!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Wow, I am residing with giants here.  All the education and lofty purposes, here I am never graduated high school, nor went to college. It's incredibly nice to see this on a forum, being open and truthful without the usual forum "face" contests that go on.  You've all heard the saying about arguing on the Internet...

One usually doesn't stop learning when their formal education ends. At least that is what I would sincerely hope. I know it is the case for me.

And you are in good company...I didn't graduate high school or go to college, either.