topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1025437 times)

Rambo54

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello all,

i´m one of the newbies, that come here to pray to the Gods of this domain -
Mouser, Mouser, Mouuuuuuuser :-)
Ok, but for a short bio:
Born in 1963, first contact with Computers was with a Commodore VC20,
then began a constant upgrading in Hardware...

I´m working for a large Car-Equipment deliverer in Stuttgart, Germany.
There i am the vizemaster of the Galvanoplating-Shop.
We do surface coating of steel parts with other metals, like zinc, copper and more.

And last but not least:
I am the other half of the well known "JoTo-Team" :-))
(Ok, this one was for insiders, but hey)

For more information, suggestions, prayers or else -> Mail at once! :-))

Live long and prosper

Ralf

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
welcome to the site Ralf, glad to have you here.  :Thmbsup:
And thanks for clearing up one of the mysterious of life -> yes, smurfs to go to war sometimes.  gargamel is lucky he never ran into that one!

Mandork

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Hopeless or hapless?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
first contact with Computers was with a Commodore VC20

Somewhere in my parents' house, I'm sure, the old VC20 still survives, along with the tape deck.  I never was much of a programmer, though--I made it as far as the multi-colored bouncing balls before I discovered boys. 

I don't think I ever posted anything in this thread, but most of the relevant bits are in my profile.  I don't know anything about programming, really, but I like to mess around with various little programs.  I'm always searching for something that will make me actually get my research done. 

My research is on prehistoric art of Mediterranean Spain (Murcia), and it's going really slowly because my Spanish isn't very good and it takes me forever to read stuff.  I am starting to worry that I will never finish.  Especially not if I keep messing around here...

The photo is a quick 'n' dirty enhancement of one of the sites I am studying.
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
Pablo Picasso

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

My name is Ming-Li Wang and I'm new here. I came across the site while struggling to set up Vista 64 on my system a few weeks ago. I scoured the web for solutions, tips and tools--anything that might help me solve the various weird problems I encountered. Though I ended up giving up Vista 64 for now, I learned a lot in the meantime, for which I'm very grateful.

There were many tech forums I ran into during the time, some of them many times. One such forum left such impression on me that I thought to myself: I should come back. So here I am.

It's hard to pinpoint what exactly got me hooked. The software discounts was enticing: I remember lamenting for the savings I could have had should I learned of the site earlier. With a little hesitation I soon made my donation before buying Directory Opus 9. The little hesitation was because I knew by doing so I was going farer away from switching to Linux. But I told myself it's a site worth supporting, even if I decided to go Linux the next day, which was next to impossible anyway.

The collective knowledge in display was impressive. This was by no means unique. I had seen plenty, on some of which I was once active. There was more warmth in this space, however, with a touch of home-like coziness that couldn't be ignored even though I was mostly dashing in and out in no time.

What really earned my heart, nevertheless, was the simple and practical idea as laid out on the About page, and the genuine sincerity felt in many of the posts here. Oh, and the post by Mouser on "How to punish DonationCoder if you are angry at being nagged to donate" made me empty my Paypal account with a smile.  :)

I'm not an avid coder, writing mostly scripts (VBA and Powerpro mostly) that fill small holes left by real software. (I'm from a social science background, though I started my college in Engineering and have used computers for 25 years.) Due to a very busy day job and other community obligations, I'm afraid I won't be able to contribute as much as I like, but I'll try my best.

One more thing: I'm from Taiwan. Am I the first? Ming-Li is my first name, or you may spell it Mingli. Some friends online just call me Ming, which is fine, as long as there's no confusion.

cheers,
Ming-Li

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome ralf, mandork and mi-ling. I'm sure I've greeted Mandork in another thread already, but thought I'd shout out a big hello here as well! As a fellow PhD sufferer student I can assure mandork that participation here will take time away from your PhD. However, I prefer to view this site and my participation here as therapeutic and BENEFICIAL rather than negative  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Beautiful picture Mandork  :up:
Hi Ming-Li, and thank you for that great message.. We are happy to have you join our little family here, just pull up a chair make yourself at home :)  (ps. I don't think you are the only one from Taiwan!)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi all.
I am a coder from the "land downunder". I have been around for a few months (i think) now, and i have frequented the IRC channel since i joined. Those of you who also idle in #donationcoder will know me fairly well by now.

To be honest i forget what brought me to donationcoder, but once i arrived, i was hooked  :-*. The software is fantastic, and the forum is the most active and most enjoyable that i currently requent. As mwang mentioned, the collective knowledge of this community is also a major selling point, for lack of a better word.

I have been an avid Windows PC user for some time now. I am definitely a software connoisseur and am deep within the power user category. I currently administer (that is fix all the things that my family fuck up) 4 computers in my household (including mine) each of which run windows, with the exception of my router which is a cut down version of fbsd. I am an IRC addict, though less now days than i used to be, and rarely chat on IM.

I go to college (TAFE for the Aussies) and am currently doing a Systems Administration course, after having dropped out of Software Design due to my distaste of VB and the impractical teaching methods. It bores me to the extreme, so i mostly find myself either here, or coding during classes.

Programming is by far my favorite hobby (I suck at pretty much everything but computers/electronics). My current primary languages are assembly (MASM\FASM) and C/CPP (VC/PellesC), though i also have experience with various other scripting/programming languages. I have a general dislike of IDEs, as they never have exactly what i want, thus i prefer to have my own development environment. I use Nopepad++ to author my programs, and have written a half dozen plugins for it that give me just the functionality i need.

Now that this intro is longer than most others in this thread, I'll piss off :P

See you around everyone, Ehtyar.

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi there
I've just found this one. :-[ Should have been my first post.

I'm a very old Brit, got a MSc. Industrial Engineering and have been living in Thailand for 20 or so years but travel a lot (mostly Australia). I'm still in love with her
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/bioxx/PIC_0584.jpg
OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?

and my computers.

Almost forgot, have been married too for quite a while and actually own the business my lousy website refers to. The wife's the chief designer of the dresses so nothing can go wrong.  :Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome Ehtyar and biox! Biox, the first dress on your businesses homepage is stunning! Your wife is very talented.

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Biox, the first dress on your businesses homepage is stunning! Your wife is very talented.
Yeah she is. I would like to put a few more pix up but would have to get the permission from the customers first. I don't like those headless pix and there will be a little description under the pix in the future. But that isn't the most important thing at the moment. The wife's been sleeping in the shop for the last 4 month cos of too much work and I need to learn more about all this stuff cos the wife can't speak English but most of our customers are westerners.

You know, the old dog new tricks thing. :huh:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:03 AM by biox »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I thought I had posted this to the forum, but it looks like it may have just been on IRC. I created a Frappr map for DonationCoder.com. Please add yourself to the map.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cool, tinjaw  :Thmbsup: Thanks for doing this - I've always wanted something like this but have always been too lazy to explore how  :(

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Donate to Member
Good idea ! I added myself.

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very COOL  !!!   I added myself.

Lew
Lew

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Donate to Member
There should be a link to the FrappR map somewhere on the forum, maybe here :
Screenshot - 09_09_2007 , 18_16_18.png

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Good idea, ak_. I'm amazed - I've just visited the map and apparently the only person within a couple of thousand kilometres of me is Free, in Arizona (who has all of the USA west of Louisiana and Montana). I have Canada to myself (details -where and when - of my inauguration as King will be posted shortly) while PhilB66 OWNS all of Asia! Amazing, where are Renegadge, Sri, biox, and ska? Those are just the users I can think of off the top of my head that I *know* are in Asia, I dimly recall there being a regular contributor based in Japan as well... but have forgotten his or her nickname. C'mon cranialscopical, nighted, and Aramando, don't leave me dangling up here all by myself!

zxcvbn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Strandlife
    • Donate to Member
I have just found this thread via Darwin's introduction.  My pin is now in ? on ? the map (try NE England) and I have put a plug for the freethesaurus on my blog http://septuagent.typepad.com - I hope this is OK.  I am not a coder, but I enjoy reading the newsletter, and I stand in awe of all those of you who know what you are talking about !
zxcvbn

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I thought I had posted this to the forum, but it looks like it may have just been on IRC. I created a Frappr map for DonationCoder.com. Please add yourself to the map.

tried..a couple of times... guess I have to joinup there first maybe?
(it did ask me straight away to add my details without registering or anything
but the pin didnt stick  :-\ )

Okay, just joined & it seemed to accept my "pin" -
but when I leave site & come back it's gone again -
am I doing something silly or is frapper  :huh:

EDIT: getting odder - when I login it says I'm on DC map but I amnt
Oh, I'll try again another day  :)
Tom
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 07:07 AM by tomos »

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The same here. I concluded that it's me (PICNIC--see https://www.donation...65.msg70754#msg70754), but maybe not... I even registered at Frappr, but to no avail. I can see myself on the DC map, but I'm not listed neither in Photos nor the Members section. Any idea?

emerald222

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, my pin looks lonely...
Heads up, Darwin, you're getting competition for rulership of Canada!
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be."

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Frappr is still a bit shaky when it comes to associate registered accounts with pins in the map. Try again and you'll succeed (I did). So far I'm alone when it comes to Spain, it's all mine ('til urlwolf comes around and...). And I could invade Portugal if Joao wasn't there ;D. BTW, the northeast corner of USA seems a little crowded ;)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, my pin looks lonely...
Heads up, Darwin, you're getting competition for rulership of Canada!

I'm not worried - I'll take all comers! I'm just polishing off my acceptance speech and the lyrics to my new anthem  :-*

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oops.  :-[  I haven't had my coffee yet and I made a mistake and deleted some photos from about 4 people on the map. So about 4 of you will need to restore your photos. If you cannot do that, let me know and I will remove your pin from the map and you can redo the whole thing. Sorry.

For those who want more information, I didn't realize that photos and members are handled separately. So photos are displayed without member information, whereas members are displayed with the photos. So, I mistakenly thought that some photos where orphans and duplicates because I didn't know they were associated with members. But when I went to the member page, I saw that some members were missing photos. So you may want to be careful about this if you do a Frappr map yourself.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Right - coffee! Thanks for reminding me. A pot is waiting for me downstairs... waking up at 4:30 am is TOO early (but with kids, a constant reality).

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Still unable to add myself to Frappr. More, when searching for "donationcoder" all I get is:
frappr-donationcoder-not-found.png

The direct link works, though. Any clue?