topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1020730 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes - good thought. I think it's just my eyes playing tricks on my, knowing Brandon's age, BrandinIMP seems apropros (even though I don't know much about him or his "mischievousness")  :D

ciderman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello!

i just noticed this thread. I found Donationcoder through TechSupportalert newsletter, when he was  recommending Processtamer. So i joined to get it. I also use few other programs :Thmbsup:

About myself.....well i am 30 year old originally from Finland but now living in England Cornwall. i have a little boy who keeps me busy and my fiancee. I work as anesthetic nurse in Theatres (=operating room). My knowledge of computers is not very much but i am learning everyday something new. I also studying to become volunteer in malware removal.

Bio-Hazard
Something to think about: "Pain is your friend, it lets you know that you are still alive"

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome, Ciderman! Cornwall, eh? Beautiful countryside!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
now living in England Cornwall

Welcome!  I know Devon very well, and Cornwall not quite so well. Are you at the North Devon Hospital, or one in Cornwall?

ciderman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you Darwin andcranioscopical for the warm welcome. The countryside is beutifull i am just waiting my first summer in here.

Welcome!  I know Devon very well, and Cornwall not quite so well. Are you at the North Devon Hospital, or one in Cornwall?
-cranioscopical (January 28, 2008, 09:31 AM)

I actually work in Devon, Derriford Hospital!
Something to think about: "Pain is your friend, it lets you know that you are still alive"

Rhutobello

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome Ciderman....it*s almost so I look myself in the mirror :) (hehehe you use my favourite avatar)

I will also say welcome to all the new ones,,,from another newcommers...and maybe end it with a Biggg Hello to all the old ones...again  ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Greetings to everyone i haven't said hello to yet.  It's great to have you all here, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home.  It's always fun to see new people post in this thread  :Thmbsup:

ciderman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome Ciderman....it*s almost so I look myself in the mirror :) (hehehe you use my favourite avatar)

I will also say welcome to all the new ones,,,from another newcommers...and maybe end it with a Biggg Hello to all the old ones...again  ;D

Thank you...i saw this avatar on some other forum and i have been trying to find it....so finally i found it i couldnt be happier!

noblejoker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Father & Husband, Biz Owner, PC user & Blogger,
    • View Profile
    • My PC USers Group - Posts & Discussions
    • Donate to Member
G'day
My name is Matt and I live in South Coast NSW Australia (about 3 hrs South of Sydney)
We have the best beaches and climate in the world This pic is from the headland near my house
april07012.jpgOK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?
I am 37 married with 2 boys 5 & 2 and my family is the best thing I ever did and ever will do
I run a business in the insurance industry with my brother
I have always loved computing starting with a Commodore 64 way back when
I have a lot of hands on experience on Windows and Office and am pretty handy in the face of most PC problems
I am Mac & Linux curious and just bought a G3 iBook so I can play with Mac OS-X
I help to moderate a PC users group and I post a lot of messages and problem fixes at this blog http://www.mulligrub....miltonulladulla.com
I am new to DC and just made a Donation to become a supporter
(Sorry it wasn't $50 but every bit helps right?)
So anyway nice to meet you all and see you around the net
Cheers  :)
Matt from Australia

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello!

Lime cat is not amused!

Lime Cat.jpg

oldfart

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Greetings one and all.  My name is Denny Garland and I have no idea how I stumbled upon DonationCoder although I suspect one of your programs was highlighted on one of the computer RSS feeds I have.  I am a 59 year old man living in Chatham, Illinois, about 90 miles NE of St. Louis. 
I picked up a used IBM SX-2[?] 75MHz computer back in '94 and played with it until I could upgrade no further [Mobo couldn't handle a CD ROM].  I then bought a Gateway 200MHz machine in January of '95 and immediately started futzing with it.  The absolutely huge 2.5GB hard drive that I couldn't foresee ever filling lasted less than two years before I upgraded to a 10GB drive.  I built my first machine in '99.
While I loved messing with hardware and playing with software, I never got in to coding.  I taught myself enough to become the tech support for a large family and most of my friends, which kept me busy learning about bugs, viruses, hardware conflicts and software. 
I picked up a job running the parts department for a small Chevy dealership and soon became their IT manager also.  I taught most of the staff how to use their computer, set up our first network and handled all updates, upgrades and email for the dealership. 
A genetic problem with my spine forced me to have surgery two years ago and soon afterward it was discovered that I have compressive neuropathy, a disease usually found in diabetics and AIDS sufferers but every once in a while it strikes someone in the general population and I was the lucky fellow.
The disability and the medications I have to take for pain management [morphine at this point] finally forced me to leave my job and go on disability last July.
At first the drugs left me pretty much null and void but I've become somewhat used to them lately and started getting back into computing.  It was at this point that I stumbled upon your site, downloaded a program [ Clipboard Help and Spell], started reading the forum and decided to join up.  I've been a member for just a few weeks but I've already gotten more value than I paid for. 
I really enjoy the forum and am trying to catch up by reading all the posts.  I haven't been in a chat room for twelve years or so and I had even quit reading message boards, mostly because they seemed to be populated by vulgar adolescents who can't spell. [I don't mind vulgar that much and I don't mind youth but bad spelling sends me round the bend] I'm so happy I found you folks.   
In just a few weeks I've downloaded at least two dozen program [haven't installed them all yet] and added dozens of bookmarks, all suggested or reviewed by you folks.  Thanks.
dmg

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello everyone,

My name is Dave and I live in western Kansas in a small town of 250 people called Burdett.  I don't remember exactly how I stumbled accross this site but have been reading it for a while before joining last month.  I am 54 years old and am the husband of one wife who is the mother of my 5 children.  We currently have 2 remaining at home.  We all like computers and are pretty much self taught with the exception of my wife who majored in programming in college back in the good ol' keypunch days.

Our first computer was the Tandy Color Computer with an external cassette recorder.  Then we graduated to a 386SX, then to a PII-233 in 1998.  from there I had a Athlon XP1800 and just recently built a 1.6 Dual Core computer.

I am in charge of IT at a small K-12 school district composed of 2 districts and 3 buildings in 3 different towns.  I handle the network, hardware, software and any other problems that come up.  When I came here in 2002 we had 45 computers, one server in 2 buildings.  Now we  have 250 computers, 10 servers in 3 buildings, so we are coming up in th world.  We now have 10 Macbook laptops for our high school yearbook and web design and I do not like them at all.  I also have one of them that also has Windows on it and for that I am thankful.  Enough said! :-[

In 1997 at 44 years of age, I answered a call of God to attend a bible school, Christ for the Nations Institute in Dallas, Tx.  How we got there is probably not for this post and if anyone is interested I can email this amazing story to you.  I did become an ordained minister, had a church for a year and half but am not currently pastoring at this moment.  But I am active in a church.

I have 2 grandsons living in Alvarado, Tx that we don't get to see all that much but I do not like the 9 hour drive it takes to get there.  We are 300 miles from Kansas City and Oklahoma City, 500 miles from Denver, Colorado and Dallas, Tx but only 140 miles form Wichita, KS.  So we are aways from any city of any decent size.  But its hard to get the country boy into the city (no, I am not a cowboy). 

I do use FARR, Screenshot Captor, and some other programs from this site and I do APPRECIATE all the help everyone has given me and for putting up with my "silly" questions on how to do stuff.  I really appreciate the fact this site doesn't have a lot of the bad langauge and flame wars like some other sites that I used to read do. 

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dave and Denny - thank you for posting your introductions and WELCOME to DC  :-* I look forward to seeing more of you "on the boards"  :Thmbsup:

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi my names mitzevo and I'm a DC junkie :( I've tried to do away with the habit but I can't help my self.. I guess you could call me DC'aholic.. Or in plain terms software junkie, but I prefer DC junkie, I don't know why, other people say I scare them at times.. I just need to relax, they say.

:'(

edit:

And welcome Denny! I'm glad you find DC worth the time for writing such a good intro :)

P.S., why does God never call me? :( . perhaps my phone is turned off.. hehe j/k :) Welcome welcome, DC is the best!
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:40 AM by mitzevo »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi Denny and Dave! Welcome and all that!
Mitzevo, you relax now-hear?! :P
Tom

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On the occasion of my 100th post I dare to introduce myself briefly.

Born 1954 in Praha (former Czechoslovakia), graduated at the Czech Technical University, later working in a research institute on one of the first musical analog synthesizer in this region, later switched to computers. Started with CP/M with 56 kB of RAM (does anybody remember?), but ceased all coding efforts when Windows came. Now I consider myself an “advanced” user, working mostly in typography and typesetting rank, often helping friends with optimizing and fixing their systems and beta-testing. Occasionally I’m designing some simple web pages.

Also a musician (keyboards), played jazz for some years, spent 12 years in a prominent musical theater in Praha.

Married for the second time, expecting my first son birth probably tomorrow--keep fingers crossed, please! (I already have two daughters, but as the saying goes--I was so generous that I provided each of my children with theirs own mother.)

My principal job has nothing in common with computers; I’m a CEO of one world-wide traditional esoteric (but non-religious) fraternity. In no way I’m going to advertise it here; those really inquiring can click below. Anyway, I’m sitting at my PC with two large old CRT monitors all day long... There are four computers running in the house all the time (Windows 2000 and XP).
Spoiler
The Rosicrucian Order, A.M.O.R.C.
main page
Czech pages

Living in suburb of Praha, Czech Republic, with my wife, two dogs and one tomcat. But in a few days we'll be one more here! For those interested in my silly nick, here’s an explanation.
boring short story
When I subscribed to Skype for the first time some years ago, I made up a “witty” nick of “yks”. If you read it backwards and translate to Czech, you’ll get the word “nebe”. If you read it backward again, you’ll get my real name. Alas, this nick was already taken, so I changed it to the current one, and it’s still here. My first name is Michal, and now you can see what my avatar logo means.

I’m really happy to have come across this forum—so far the only one, where people don’t argue and attack each other, but help each other and share brilliant ideas. Thanks a lot to you all for being here, and the coders first and foremost! Let me take a deep bow.

Thank you for reading and please forgive my English peccadilloes. (Moderators, feel free to correct as many as you wish, but let me know just to avoid them next time. Maybe shortening this post would be a good idea, too.)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello yksyks!

I hope you enjoy the new addition to your family!

Your English is excellent...

Best wishes

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow! A baby boy... at 54! As the father of two boys you have my congratulations and warmest wishes for the coming months  :Thmbsup:

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you both! Nothing yet this morning... I'll keep you informed.

Darwin--I noticed you're living in Courtenay, BC, where I was some eight years ago and spent some nice moments in Atlas cafe, if I recall it correctly. Does it still exist?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
GOOD LUCK yksyks  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :eusa_dance:

please keep us updated, and teach your son to visit us as soon as he can type!  :)

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks mouser, sure I will! Hope you're feeling better now.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've got a pretty bad cold which is leaving me pretty debilitated.. i hope it goes away soon.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you both! Nothing yet this morning... I'll keep you informed.

Darwin--I noticed you're living in Courtenay, BC, where I was some eight years ago and spent some nice moments in Atlas cafe, if I recall it correctly. Does it still exist?

Still there, yksyks, and still as popular as ever. I'm floored, actually, you're the first person on DC that I know of who has been here!

Let us know when your son arrives  :) :Thmbsup:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've got a pretty bad cold which is leaving me pretty debilitated.. i hope it goes away soon.

Ahah. I got one too. 5 days of intense fever. 2 weeks of intense coughing. Pretty hard core this year if you ask me.  :(
I'm just starting to recover.
Well... Drink your orange juice, plenty of water, sleep well, and go for short walks once in a while...  ;)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok, in this thread:
https://www.donation....php?topic=12392.new

there's a facebook group created for dc members (and all software lovers). If you have a facebook profile, I think it'd be nice to have all the people in this thread there, for the advantages commented before.

The first member is me :)