topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: some useful but less-known software. share your list!!!  (Read 147418 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: some useful but less-known software. share your list!!!
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2020, 04:26 PM »
For those that want a very fast grep tool with a GUI (Windows): BareGrep
+1  :Thmbsup:

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2020, 04:49 PM »
If you ever worked extensively with DOS computers, you probably used Vern Buerg's famous utility LIST.COM at some stage.  It was the premier file viewer for DOS.  If you yearn for something similar, The V File Viewer is the nearest thing I've seen to a spiritual descendant:

V is an all-purpose File Manager for Windows with a powerful inbuilt text file viewer which excels at viewing files quickly - whether they are 100 bytes or 100 gigabytes.

It is an indispensable utility for anyone who spends much time navigating directories and viewing files.

Tabbed File Manager with Dual Pane interface
    Powerful text and hex file viewer (views large files quickly)
    Support for CSV files
    Search/GREP functionality
    EBCDIC support
    Unicode support
    Extensive Command Line support and keyboard shortcuts
    Thumbnails mode
    Greenbar mode
    2UP printing
    Support for ZIP, CAB, TAR, RAR, GZip, BZip2 and 7Zip archives
    Support for Alternate Data Streams and 4DOS descriptions
    Bioinformatics/DNA search (experimental)
    Spanish, French, Italian and Russian translations available

Can also do file tailing.

Take the "file manager" bit with a pinch of salt; it's primarily a viewer, with modest (but potentially useful) management features tacked on.  And the 'Dual Pane interface' isn't quite set in stone, it depends on how you set it up and invoke it.  It isn't free, but low cost, with an unusual license:

A single user license costs US$20
(and includes 6 years of free upgrades).

In practice, upgrades are exceedingly rare, but it's good as it is.

Screenshots:

V-dual_pane_view.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!! V-names_only_view.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!! V-normal_text_view.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!! V-hex_view.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!!

V-text_view_with_greenbar.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!! V-text_plus_vertical_hex_view.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!! V-CSV_view.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!! V-thumbnail_view.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 03:29 PM by rjbull, Reason: Added screenshots »

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2020, 08:33 AM »
PyIDM - python open source alternative to IDM:
https://github.com/pyIDM/PyIDM

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2020, 04:23 AM »
Vuvuzela is a private chat application that hides metadata, including who you chat with and when you are chatting:
https://vuvuzela.io/

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2020, 01:01 AM »
TabNine uses deep learning to help you write code faster:
https://www.tabnine.com/

chashnniel

• Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2020, 09:54 AM »
Asroc from JP.
An app/file/folder quick launcher on your actived title bar!   393K  USB  2013  Windows 10
Download the latest version (including source code (outdated)) here.
Language: Japanese only (But I have translate it into English, see below)

ScreenShots:
configuration page
config.gifsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!!
Right click menu
rightmenu.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!!
options 1, 2
add_submenu_sample.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!!  add_item.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!!

How to?? (a simple demo gif)
demo.gifsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!!
Tips: You can scroll mouse on the launcher bar to switch between pages.

The official version is Japanese only, I have translated it (90%+) into English. I don't speak Japanese, but I have almost tried/tested all the options (it took me several hours  :)). So the translation quality should be fine. I don't know whether I can put it here... if so, I would like to share it.

Edit 2020-08-17
The public version is 1.16 released on 2013-01, there is a newer version 1.17 released on 2013-08.
(the download link is at the bottom of the page)

New in 1.17 explanation
config1.17.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!!
If you uncheck this option. Then when you click on the title bar of a actived window, the launcher bar will be hidden. Namely...
The launcher bar will display on top on the actived window. Same for the desktop.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:09 PM by chashnniel »

chashnniel

• Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2020, 07:53 AM »
Rapture A small useful tool from JP.
Grab selected region and stick it in the foreground. Take a look at the tutorial video on Google Play. (It may not available in your country. Japan only)

The Windows version doesn't support English, and I don't think you need an individual application to do this. Actually there are some screenshot applications have this feature. Maybe mouser should add it to Screenshot Captor ----- grab several selected regions and stick them in the foreground.

Kokomite from JP. (Japanese only, but It doesn't matter)
Highlight the mouse click. You can change its color, shape, size, transparency, cycle period, shortcut to on/off, animation on click, flash when hold/press ctrl/alt/always...    2.6M  USB  2011  Windows 10
Sometimes I need to use this tool to make a demo gif on this thread.  :)

I will add more app on this reply section.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:22 AM by chashnniel »

highend01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2020, 08:07 AM »
You Kokomite link leads to Kododea (a screen magnifier tool)...

chashnniel

• Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2020, 08:24 AM »
You Kokomite link leads to Kododea (a screen magnifier tool)...
Check it again, link fixed.  ;D

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2020, 06:22 AM »
Twingate is a modern alternative to VPN that you can set up in 15 minutes or less. Easier to use and more secure than any VPN:
https://www.twingate.com/

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2020, 08:30 AM »
youtube-downloader - a much faster alternative to youtube-dl built for PHP applications:
https://github.com/A...0/youtube-downloader

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2020, 12:30 PM »
Easier to use and more secure than any VPN:

Can you back up this statement with proof? Do you use this VPN?

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2020, 12:50 PM »
Easier to use and more secure than any VPN:

Can you back up this statement with proof? Do you use this VPN?

They are claiming it.

I use what I think is even better: Invizible Pro with Tor, DNSCrypt and Purple I2P modules.

I can use the browser of my choice with Tor, is really fast although I use it in the middle of nowhere, open source, very stable, no VPN logging ...

Only bad thing about it is that you can't access all websites and some search engines/Cloudflare constantly molest you with hCaptcha.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 01:52 PM by panzer »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2020, 01:56 PM »
I think the point of this thread is to share less-known software that you personally use and recommend.

What's the use in sharing a bunch of links endorsing software you don't use while repeating their claims as if they were your own?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: August 20, 2020, 07:16 PM »
To be honest, Panzer saves me time looking for software that peeks my interest. Whether Panzer uses this software is of much lesser concern to me.

On the other hand, I do see the point of mentioning only software that is actually used by the person recommending it. That would be where the 'useful'' in the title of the thread comes into play.

As it stands though, I do appreciate Panzer's efforts.

Regarding Twingate:
Sounds to me they dress up the creation of TCP tunnels (and their reverse tunnels). And those are even easier to setup with AnyDesk. Twingate seems to act as the mitigation party between creating a connection between computers in different networks. Twingate has a nice story, Anydesk barely explains about their tunneling capabilities. If you need such things, you are already aware about the concept and/or tools. AnyDesk doesn't spin a story about it and seems to be trustworthy enough. Twingate I don't know.

Also, I have been using the TCP tunneling features from AnyDesk for 3 months now and I'm pleasantly surprised. AnyDesk comes as both freeware/commercially licensed and I have been using their free version. At times it isn't as stable as one would like, but when you pay for the software, I believe you are using their properly monitored servers instead of their free, first come, first serve servers.

You'll need to install Anydesk on your own system and the one you wish to control. Each system will get a specific Anydesk address, but you can create a more meaningful alias on either computer if you so desire. once that is done, you create a (password protected) connection between the computers. Anydesk will enable you to actually log into the remote computer using RDP if the remote computer is a Windows machine. For TCP tunneling that is not necessary. Only the connection between the computers has to be up.

In the main menu there is a menu option with a lightning logo. There you'll find the tunneling feature. Simply fill in the name/service (including port number) you wish to access in the 'Tunnel' section, then use the name "localhost" and the same unique port number in the 'Reverse tunnel' section. Hit the save button and you are done. You can create as much tunnels as you like, but every tunnel must use an unique port number. I have been using these tunnels to access web services I run in the remote location with my local browser, mail with my local client and database management (PostgreSQL and Oracle) was not problem at all.

The above may sound like a lot of steps, but if you did it once, you'll see how simple it is. AnyDesk is available for all major operating systems, including Android and iOS.

Perhaps I paint a too simple picture regarding Twingate and their setup, but as alternative AnyDesk has worked out great so far already, even on their free plan, so personally I'm not that inclined to look much further. In case you deem the AnyDesk solution to lack in security, you can use a tool like Apache Guacamole to limit access to remote (Windows/Linux/Mac) machines by simply using a HTML5 compliant browser. Guacamole can use its own user access functionality, but can also be coupled with the LDAP/RADIUS/2FA solution you have running in the remote network. Apache Guacamole is free and open source (but Linux only). However, You can create a Linux VM yourself and install it there or even get a test VM (.ova) from Bitnami.

Adding Guacamole does complicate things and isn't necessary for connections between computers in home networks. Company networks are a different story.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: August 20, 2020, 10:41 PM »
Maybe we should have a separate thread for random software finds?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2020, 05:30 PM »
I'm with Shades. Viewing the suggestions and (if interested) the links is enough for me.
I appreciate the effort involved by all contributors.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2020, 07:13 PM »
We have this thread that never took off - https://www.donation....msg422067#msg422067

Maybe we can make one for recommendations, and the other for just finds?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2020, 01:58 AM »
To be honest, Panzer saves me time looking for software that peeks my interest. Whether Panzer uses this software is of much lesser concern to me.

Viewing the suggestions and (if interested) the links is enough for me.
-cranioscopical (August 21, 2020, 05:30 PM)

Okay. I don't want to be the one bad apple who spoils it for the rest of the bunch.

This thread seemed dominated by post after post by panzer with almost no feedback from other forum members so I assumed nobody was finding panzer's posts useful or desirable.

An aside: It would be nice if posts had a +1, thumbs up, or "like" feature, so that people who appreciate what others share but don't have anything to add to the conversation could signal their approval/appreciation.

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2020, 08:37 AM »
I quietly see what people post and check things out. Never seen a point in a comment or saying thanks.

So this will be my all encompassing thanks for this entire thread that everyone is posting to. In the future will only comment if I have a question.

Thanks.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2020, 09:44 AM »
Okay. I don't want to be the one bad apple who spoils it for the rest of the bunch.

Not the only one.

The rules that the OP set off in the original post.

But still I made some rules, the software must be:
  • Less-known of course!!(that means it is seldom mentioned in the blog site like Ghacks&lifehacker)
  • It should be old age(non-essential) but still works on the windows 7,8,or10
  • You'd better give the download location
  • Screenshot always welcome
  • A short description is needed

I guess those follow that scheme, though not sure if they are older.

chashnniel

• Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2020, 11:17 AM »
Unlike any other forums, DonationCoder can access to any topics, attachments, applications here with no limitation. Sometimes a thanks or thumbs up is necessary.

An aside: It would be nice if posts had a +1, thumbs up, or "like" feature, so that people who appreciate what others share but don't have anything to add to the conversation could signal their approval/appreciation.
This feature should be added. It can also catch some other user's eyes if they see a "+1" on a reply, or you can quickly find the best solution for the question.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 05:52 PM by chashnniel »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2020, 09:31 PM »
Sometimes a thanks or thumbs up is necessary.
I've been silently enjoying chashnniel's posts in this thread. I've seen a lot of software about which I was unaware. Even if I don't adopt something I get some satisfaction from just exploring it.

THANKS! Seven or eight thumbs up and a bunch of fingers (cos I'm all fingers and thumbs tonight).

chashnniel

• Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #198 on: August 23, 2020, 01:47 AM »
2cranioscopical
Thank you, cheers :Thmbsup:

USB Oblivion is a USB privacy tool.    2.78M(single file)   USB   Windows 10
erase all traces of (broken) connected USB devices - flash-drives, disks and CD-ROMs from computer registry
--- from the official website
Don't worry, there is a test mode and it can automatically back up the reg file.

BTW, h2testw is a well known tool to detect fake USB.    409K(single file)   USB   2008   Windows 10
Tips: you'd better format the USB before test it. It's slow(large capacity drives not recommend) and it doesn't support some modern USB sticks since the last update is over 10 years ago.

NSSM Run application as a service. Open source.    360K(single file)   USB   Windows 10
100% safe because ExpressVPN use it to run as a service.
How to (run CMD)...
1. Install: nssm64 install               then it will come with UI options.
2. Uninstall: nssm64 remove servicename
See more on their usage page.

Their is anther similar trailware called AlwaysUp,   USB-  windows 10
It's better than NSSM, added export/import options... use-friendly interface (no need to remember those commands) and it is still in development.
Available app and guide
I use AlwaysUp with Dropbox and Doogle Drive, Aria2 (with webui-aria2) and also a %TEMP% cleanup bat file. It works like a charm.
Tips: It seems Microsoft has remove the auto login option on the User Accounts from Windows 10 2004.
user acconts.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!!
You can use AlwaysUp -- Tools -- Autologon... to make it happen again.
autologin.jpgsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 01:57 AM by chashnniel »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #199 on: August 23, 2020, 02:04 AM »
h2testw
Why did you strike that out?