topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Forum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here  (Read 199483 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Forum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2015, 07:44 PM »
Well I'm still lost! Maybe I'm a GUI Menu kinda guy, but I just preferred picking my attach type because all I see are Thumbs and can't for ex see how to get inline full and stuff.

So you want to attach something that's not a thumb? Try taking the "thumb" out of "attachthumb" :Thmbsup:

[attach=#]

So is that Inline or attached below?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2015, 10:34 PM »
i can add a dropdown for the different kinds of inline images -- perhaps ill add it down by the button where you can choose files to attach.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 03:28 AM »
Wiki fixed?

Yes thanks, mouser.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2015, 04:42 AM »
Is there any way I can hide the social media buttons and the translate drop down box at the bottom of each page? I don't need them and they bother me.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2015, 05:19 AM »
And to add a request if possible; a Powershell Code Highlighter if there's one available?

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2015, 05:52 AM »
Hm... lotsa spam here this morning, is that an artifact of the upgrade or just a happy coincidence?  :P
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2015, 06:35 AM »
Is there any way I can hide the social media buttons and the translate drop down box at the bottom of each page? I don't need them and they bother me.

yes, just give me a week to take care of any other bugs and problems with the site/forum, then i can start adding options like this.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2015, 06:37 AM »
And to add a request if possible; a Powershell Code Highlighter if there's one available?
done.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2015, 06:39 AM »
lotsa spam here this morning, is that an artifact of the upgrade or just a happy coincidence?
well the good news is that with an upgraded forum we have a few more weapons we can deploy against spammers -- and more importantly adding more custom code to stop them isn't so painful -- so any increase in spammers is only temporary :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2015, 06:40 AM »
Hm... lotsa spam here this morning, is that an artifact of the upgrade or just a happy coincidence?  :P

I think it's a co-incidence but since "most of the point" of the upgrade is to help relieve Mouser's headaches with his growing spaghetti code, I asked earlier if there are new methods that can help anti-spam. The "brutal" (but it turned out to be effective!) one another site I know that began to have growing spam problems, is the first post must be approved by a moderator. This doesn't stop the *really* clever ones from posting a "legit" comment then spamming, but those guys tend not to be that smart. The only downside is as we try to grow members if that turns away new legit members, and the whole philosophy here is pretty balanced. (I keep saying the "Basement" is a stunning innovation that fixed like 12 random "gray zone" problems!)

Other ways are some kinds of semantic analysis but those risk false positives and negatives. So it's never a clear concrete answer.

Edit: And Mouser just beat me to it!

well the good news is that with an upgraded forum we have a few more weapons we can deploy against spammers -- and more importantly adding more custom code to stop them isn't so painful -- so any increase in spammers is only temporary :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2015, 06:47 AM »
There are two basic techniques to stopping spam:
  • Prevent the spammer from ever getting a chance to post their spam content -- with things like captchas or requiring moderator approval on first post, or automated spam-recognition tools, etc.
  • Detecting and removing spam content quickly with the help of a human.

In general, because of the high annoyance factor with technique #1 -- and the high chance of false positives, and confusing new posters, DC has always favored mild captchas and early-stopping techniques, and leaned heavily on technique #2, with some custom code to help alert moderators quickly to suspicious stuff, and remove it expeditiously.

Usually this means that a spam message is posted and then removed within minutes due to a quick moderator -- but occasionally a spammer will sneak through while all the moderators are sleeping -- despite our odd and overlapping sleep hours :)

After the new forum upgrade settles in we will get some more tools in place to exterminate the spam varmin..

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2015, 07:17 AM »
Got the new Forum look today. Looks good. Color combination also soothing. Congratulation to Mouser and all members. :Thmbsup:

Went around the forum and found some points as below,

1. Minor spelling mistake in "Still have questions?  Don't hesitate to context us ([email protected])."
https://www.donation...&action=register

2. The guest image, if temporary then ok, else I will suggest some blank face type image there.
Why he is happy so much in this era of privacy concerns from NSA to Win10 ? Or is he "she" ?

3. The thread page numbers make difficult to click, at least for me.  Pages: prev | 1 2 [3] | bottom | last
I find difficult in positioning my mouse cursor at '1' or '2', say. Can we make it bit wider with space, box etc. ?

I found the "Print" option of message thread very useful. All messages in one long page and one can find any text too.  :Thmbsup:  Many times I needed to find my apps name for any bug fixes mentioned in another thread, say.

Regards,

Anand

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2015, 07:19 AM »
done.

Thanks but I have a question, it seems to be the same as generic, ie. no highlighting - is that correct?

eg. I edited my post here: https://www.donation....msg387444#msg387444

Also, I don't know if this is normal or not but the code tag comes out as:
Code: Text [Select]
  1. [code= powershell]

ie. there's a space between the = and powershell, tried removing it but it didn't make any difference.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2015, 07:34 AM »
Is there a setting to show newest posts at top of threads?
I can't find it if so.

Edit:  Found it.  Never mind.  :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:52 AM by MilesAhead »

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2015, 08:26 AM »
I do not get any update notifications any more. Has that been reported?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2015, 08:30 AM »
I do not get any update notifications any more. Has that been reported?
no, that's the first i've heard.
anyone else?

have you checked your profile options for notifications to see if anything looks weird?

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2015, 08:43 AM »
'Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic' was not ticked. While I don't know if I ever enabled that myself, I know for sure that I always got updates after I replied in a thread.
'For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me of' was set to 'Moderation only if I started the topic'. I guess 'Replies and moderation' would make more sense as a default? (I don't think I ever changed that either)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2015, 08:48 AM »
The mobile version looks fine on my Android. Great work, mouser!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2015, 08:49 AM »
Ok, so a couple of thoughts:
I probably reset some customization options when i upgraded the forum, so users who have customized some settings may find them set to the new default.
I think your "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic' was not ticked" is the default -- and sensibly so, right? this option if checked will send you notifications by email automatically for every thread you ever post to.

Now the last item sounds like maybe that default is badly set; it sounds like its making notifications basically useless, yeah? that the default should be "'Replies and moderation' ".  Let me look into it and change the default if so.

ACTUALLY: You know i'm thinking that this option is maybe just worded poorly -- the default option may mean to send emails on all replies *AND* "Moderation only if i started topic" -- which would mean that the default IS a reasonable default setting.  That is, the default should be sending you notifications on new replies, as i understand it.

Let me know what behavior you observe, phitsc.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:58 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2015, 08:51 AM »
The mobile version looks fine on my Android. Great work, mouser!
Awesome.  Mostly thanks to the smf folks but i worked quite a bit on making the forum theme more responsive (slimming down when screen is small), so i'm happy to hear it looks reasonable.

The main website will soon (in 30 days or so?) be completely moved to cms and it will also be responsive/mobile friendly -- we have that working well already.  So looks like we are on the right path.  :up:

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2015, 09:00 AM »
I think your "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic' was not ticked" is the default -- and sensibly so, right? this option if checked will send you notifications by email automatically for every thread you ever post to.
Well, for me that makes perfect sense. If I post on a thread I want to know if someone replied or posted on that same thread. But then I do not post or reply that much ;)

ps: now, after changing these settings I assume, I got notified about the reply.
ps2: smilies not working yet?

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2015, 09:01 AM »
ah, they do work, but not in the preview  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2015, 09:04 AM »
Well, for me that makes perfect sense. If I post on a thread I want to know if someone replied or posted on that same thread. But then I do not post or reply that much
i hear ya -- i'm not saying its not a reasonable thing to enable -- just don't think it's a good default for all users.

ps: now, after changing these settings I assume, I got notified about the reply.
this still troubles me -- i wonder if notifications are not working for others until they change settings..

smilies not working in preview: It's a little strange they don't work in the preview -- i'll look into that.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2015, 09:22 AM »
In the "Info Center - Active Topics" section would it be possible to re-enable the feature where it shows "Re:" at the start of the title for posts that are replies (as opposed to brand new threads without any replies)? This made it possible to distinguish at first sight between a new post without replies, and an older discussion with new replies.

Another more general point: the first thing I do when I visit the forum is scroll down to the very bottom to see what's latest in the "Info Center - Active Topics" section. I don't know how many other forum users do that, but if a lot or most of them, then from a usability point of view it might be better to have that section at the very top, so there is no need for all that scrolling. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the upgrade, Mouser!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2015, 09:22 AM »
Smileys not working in preview should be fixed.