topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684516 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #500 on: July 31, 2015, 08:26 AM »
I'm not bleeding yet, so I think I'm ok.  Of course, that's on my laptop, not on my primary computer...

Perhaps you can point me in the right direction. I could use a nice lightweight (Windows) Laptop that doesn't cut my bank account to ribbons.  Then I could use the Toshiba as a guinea pig machine.  I'm taking a computer repair class and eventually I will succumb to the temptation of upgrading ram or some other excuse to pry the box open and screw things in, or up, or something.  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #501 on: July 31, 2015, 09:53 AM »
I'm not bleeding yet, so I think I'm ok.  Of course, that's on my laptop, not on my primary computer...

Perhaps you can point me in the right direction. I could use a nice lightweight (Windows) Laptop that doesn't cut my bank account to ribbons.  Then I could use the Toshiba as a guinea pig machine.  I'm taking a computer repair class and eventually I will succumb to the temptation of upgrading ram or some other excuse to pry the box open and screw things in, or up, or something.  :)

Laptop purchases are a minefield that I've not learned to fully negotiate- especially on the low end.  I have a Dell Inspiron 7000, and it works very well for me, and was not exorbitantly expensive- but I had a lot of discounts to make it so.  But it is a good computer.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #502 on: July 31, 2015, 11:04 AM »
For a day and a night I have been searching here, there and everywhere (on this Win 10 Pro) to find a useful media player. No, nothing. Just a silly thing called Groove. What a bad joke! Each and every version of Windows Media Player in this millennium was better than this! Just two small examples: 1) If you point at the player's thumbnail in the toolbar, there is no tooltip to tell what track you're playing! But the user has to first move the mouse even further, to point at the Groove Music tile that slides forward - and this is an enormous and UGLY window, not a nice, discrete tooltip. 2) I have found no way to make the player small.
Groove Music is unbelievable poor; I am so disappointed.  :down:

Now please tell me I haven't searched properly, and that the options I want are just there...!  :tellme:

---------
modified 20 hours later:
By a complete coincidence I have just found Windows Media Player! Sorry and Thank You, Microsoft  :up:
So, it is there, just have to be lucky to do things the right way the first time. Otherwise you might think "Groove Music" is the media player - and THAT WILL make you disappointed!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:17 AM by Curt »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #503 on: July 31, 2015, 11:13 AM »
Dell Inspiron 7000

Ok, thank you.  The bad news for me is the lighter the more expensive.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #504 on: July 31, 2015, 11:19 AM »
Anyone else experiencing apps opening (minimized to taskbar) when logging in from lock screen?

Haven't seen that one, but I have noticed that Edge can be a bit "shy" at times, and will periodically disappear only to show up again later minimized (all session tabs intact) in the task bar.

It's still happening for me. I come back from the lock screen and Xbox, Photos, and Calculator are open, but minimized.

Screenshot - 7_31_2015 , 10_12_58 AM.png

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #505 on: July 31, 2015, 01:40 PM »
I could use a nice lightweight (Windows) Laptop that doesn't cut my bank account to ribbons.

Depending on how literally you meant 'lightweight', Acer is coming out with the Cloudbook at USD169, to compete with the HP Stream series, which seem to be going for around USD230.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #506 on: July 31, 2015, 02:18 PM »
I could use a nice lightweight (Windows) Laptop that doesn't cut my bank account to ribbons.

Depending on how literally you meant 'lightweight', Acer is coming out with the Cloudbook at USD169, to compete with the HP Stream series, which seem to be going for around USD230.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll take a look.  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #507 on: July 31, 2015, 03:09 PM »

I thought to take a look at that HP Stream for my wife and daughter to share.  And quickly looked away.  In use, it's very laggy, even doing basic things.  That was with windows 8, but it was *bad*.  It was masked because of the SSD, but it was still nothing that I'd put up with.  So unless performance is not a consideration *at all*, I'd recommend a steer clear of the HP Stream.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #508 on: July 31, 2015, 03:21 PM »

I thought to take a look at that HP Stream for my wife and daughter to share.  And quickly looked away.  In use, it's very laggy, even doing basic things.  That was with windows 8, but it was *bad*.  It was masked because of the SSD, but it was still nothing that I'd put up with.  So unless performance is not a consideration *at all*, I'd recommend a steer clear of the HP Stream.

Thanks for the heads up.   :up:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #509 on: July 31, 2015, 04:38 PM »
Here's a good review of the 11 inch: http://www.engadget....hp-stream-11-review/

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #510 on: July 31, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Curt, hang in there man! :) OS upgrades are always extra tough when the user has a lot of customizations and extra apps installed.

Two useful articles on privacy settings for those about to take the jump to 10.
http://www.ghacks.ne...dows-10-and-privacy/
http://www.howtogeek...0s-privacy-settings/

I think I'll wait a bit myself and read what issues people run into and work around.

Can anyone who has upgraded tell if these applications work well in 10: FARR, Everything and Autohotkey scripts (e.g. any issues with UAC or anything like that?).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:32 PM by Nod5 »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #511 on: July 31, 2015, 06:10 PM »
OS upgrades are always extra tough when the user has a lot of customizations

Quite true. I was using EmEditor as the default for viewing source in IE on my office workstation before the upgrade, and now when I try to view source in Edge the damn things just freezes. I've not a clue why/how the two are related...but it seems rather apparent that they are..(hehe).

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #512 on: July 31, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Curt, hang in there man! :) OS upgrades are always extra tough when the user has a lot of customizations and extra apps installed.

Two useful articles on privacy settings for those about to take the jump to 10.
http://www.ghacks.ne...dows-10-and-privacy/
http://www.howtogeek...0s-privacy-settings/

I think I'll wait a bit myself and read what issues people run into and work around.

Can anyone who has upgraded tell if these applications work well in 10: FARR, Everything and Autohotkey scripts (e.g. any issues with UAC or anything like that?).

I have Everything and it works fine in Win 10(contrary to Steve Wright: "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?")
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:37 PM by Arizona Hot »

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #513 on: July 31, 2015, 07:36 PM »

FARR doesn't find Win10 "apps" at all. Otherwise it works fine.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #514 on: July 31, 2015, 07:50 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #515 on: August 01, 2015, 01:21 AM »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #516 on: August 01, 2015, 04:20 AM »

I have Everything and it works fine in Win 10(contrary to Steve Wright: "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?")

Thank you for the encouraging empathy, Nod5  :up:  However, I went for "new OS overwrite previous OS", so I had no customizations or extra apps at all. One (not this one, but another one) might say "I don't have Everything, but nothing works either (or neither)."  :-[  I know, terrible! But remember, that was the other one!

It seems to me the two main ideas in Win 10 are 1) make money on advertizing, and take the battle as close to the consumer as possible. Microsoft is angry that they were fined several billion dollars, when at the same time competitors doing almost the same deed but calling it something else, were making gazillion dollars. Now MS stops playing the nice, gentle grandpa. 2) Getting us even more used to the idea that we can do nothing without some Big Brother knowing everything about us -  first "for our own comfort", but next "for our own safety".

I am not a fan of such ideas, so frustrations may arise a little too hasty.  ;)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #517 on: August 01, 2015, 07:43 AM »
@Curt keep in mind this is Windows 10.0 or the equivalent of "pre service pack" in previous Windows releases.  The release for free gets many people who would ordinarily wait for SP1 to be integrated to jump the gun.  I think it is going to get "interestinger" as it goes along.  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #518 on: August 01, 2015, 12:16 PM »
I think you're right, Miles; eventually it will of course be their best operating system so far - which is why I for the first time ever was maneuvering to be first in line.

BUT the comparison in my head is the car company launching a new model, and when people ask why there are no passenger seats, or why this or that obviously is missing, the answer is something like "Oh, we will add them eventually". Setting a fixed  date for launching a new model is by itself foolish, or what the proper term may be, because it makes a date become more important than fixing errors, and therefore also puts a date above both the customer and the company's trustworthiness / credibility / reliability / integration / honour / something ...

Well, I am the poor one, and they are the ga$illionaires, so who am I to speak.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:17 AM by Curt »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #519 on: August 01, 2015, 01:17 PM »
Anyone else experiencing apps opening (minimized to taskbar) when logging in from lock screen?

Haven't seen that one, but I have noticed that Edge can be a bit "shy" at times, and will periodically disappear only to show up again later minimized (all session tabs intact) in the task bar.

It's still happening for me. I come back from the lock screen and Xbox, Photos, and Calculator are open, but minimized.
 (see attachment in previous post)

So... now I know it's not a lock screen thing. I was just sitting here using my computer as normal (happened to be reading a web site, or possible distracted by my tablet momentarily) and these same three apps just opened on their own.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #520 on: August 01, 2015, 01:47 PM »
I think you're right, Miles; eventually it will of course be their best operating system so far - which is why I for the first time ever was maneuvering to be first in line.

BUT the comparison in my head is the car company launching a new model, and when people ask why there are no passenger seats, or why this or that obviously is missing, the answer is something like "Oh, we will add them eventually". Setting a fixed  date for launching a new model is by itself foolish, or what the proper term may be, because it puts a date above fixing errors, and therefore also puts a date above both the customer and the company's trustworthiness / credibility / reliability / integration / honour / something ...

Well, I am the poor one, and they are the ga$illionaires, so who am I to speak.

I agree wih you that the new distribution model, having people hang online while the system updates, necessitates having beefed up servers to handle the deluge.  The coders cannot push back the deadline just because of a few orders of magnitude of bugs/unfinished features.  :)  So they push ahead.

Also I am waiting for the "mandatory update" system to break thousands of computers at once.  It seems inevitable.

I am usually skeptical of new Windows releases.  I think this is fed by the insistence on hiding the settings every time they change the name of the Windows flavor.  But after I get done dragging my feet I usually like it.  I hope it is also true this time.  :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #521 on: August 01, 2015, 05:52 PM »
I've been through all those, and they only control whether or not the notifications show up in the Action Center. No combination I could think of - even after an Outlook restart - would result in the old style informative behavior.

Have you tried lengthening the popup interval time in Outlook to something crazy long like 10-20 seconds?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #522 on: August 01, 2015, 07:43 PM »
I've been through all those, and they only control whether or not the notifications show up in the Action Center. No combination I could think of - even after an Outlook restart - would result in the old style informative behavior.

Have you tried lengthening the popup interval time in Outlook to something crazy long like 10-20 seconds?

I hadn't thought to try that, but I strongly suspect the behavior is by design to showcase the all new - Whoop-De-Do - Action Center.

At any rate, I've managed to encounter a more pressing and completely baffling issue after upgrading my home machine to 10 this afternoon. It seems that for some delightfully insane reason the system has chosen to report that only 3 of the 4 GB of RAM in the 64-bit machine are "usable". Why it has decided to pull this shit I haven't a clue, but it's a - Microsoft Listed Windows 10 Compatible - Asus Commando motherboard with the latest BIOS installed (it was a condition of computability) a few weeks back to be sure it didn't flake on its own (which it didn't).

Sure it's a bit of an antique...but it's all I got to work with at the moment.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #523 on: August 01, 2015, 09:56 PM »
So, next machine to get upgraded was my x86 TV recorder, (ZOTAC 8200-ITX WiFi).

Painless upgrade again, just a few small (possibly) bugs to iron out today, took about an hour for it to upgrade.

Cons:
  • TV recording no longer works even though the correct drivers were installed/carried over from 8.1Pro for the USB device - I suspect this can be fixed by reinstalling the capture program and Java.
  • Outpost Pro Security Suite was uninstalled, which I expected.
  • ClassicShell was disabled - also expected.
  • Edge became the new default browser, which shouldn't have happened IMO (default was Pale Moon).
  • Viewing the Desktop directly on a Dell Pro monitor and the fonts are blurry - so have to play with the Display settings.

Pros:
  • Old Canon LiDE 20 scanner still works, (using old XP/Vista/7 drivers) - actually works better now since its TWAIN driver disappeared under 8.1 but now it's back under 10, so I can use any program again rather than Canon software.
  • Conexant USB fax/modem still appears to work.
  • All the other software installed, (HDD Sentinel, Paragon HDM, MegaSync, iDrive, VPN, etc), still appears to work.

If I can't get the TV recording to work, it'll get rolled back to 8.1 Pro.

Addendum: Turns out it was the tuner drivers: Driver is not intended for this platform.   So, rolling back to 8.1 Pro on this machine until the drivers get updated.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 11:29 PM by 4wd »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #524 on: August 02, 2015, 10:06 AM »
I hadn't thought to try that, but I strongly suspect the behavior is by design to showcase the all new - Whoop-De-Do - Action Center.

The only reason I suggest it is that qbTorrent will throw up notification bubbles that hang out for quite a while. Maybe this is something that has to be hard-coded in the program. Regardless, Office 2016 is just a few months away and then we'll forget all about O2K13's problems because we'll have a new batch of crud to deal with.

Why it has decided to pull this shit I haven't a clue, but it's a - Microsoft Listed Windows 10 Compatible - Asus Commando motherboard with the latest BIOS installed (it was a condition of computability) a few weeks back to be sure it didn't flake on its own (which it didn't).

Sure it's a bit of an antique...but it's all I got to work with at the moment.

Well, my motherboard *is* an antique...a Gigabyte running an X58a chipset. I have no idea if it's on Microsoft's special list or not, but I just checked. My 6 GB of RAM is being reported correctly.