topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 682399 times)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #400 on: July 18, 2015, 02:45 PM »
Curiouser still, the Windows Insider Preview .iso download page is now disabled.

That's what I saw when I posted above and made me ask the question

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #401 on: July 18, 2015, 09:23 PM »

I hope about five of you can really stay on top of this whole thing, and be the "DC Win10 Expert Task Force" or some such thing!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #402 on: July 20, 2015, 10:25 AM »
According to this GHacks Article Windows 10 Home Users will have to agree to forced automatic updates when clicking the EULA on reboot.

At the end of the article it goes on to say that at the moment(as in RTM build 10240) it is still possible to set the Windows Update Service to Disabled.

I have a feeling that disable-ability will either be removed or bypassed.
It is for your protection.  :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #403 on: July 20, 2015, 03:55 PM »
According to this GHacks Article Windows 10 Home Users will have to agree to forced automatic updates when clicking the EULA on reboot.

At the end of the article it goes on to say that at the moment(as in RTM build 10240) it is still possible to set the Windows Update Service to Disabled.

It is for your protection.  :)

Well, yeah ...

Which is why I'm a little confused. Win8 had "funny" UI Metro issues, but it was still its own OS.

This whole "Updates will happen. Resistance is futile" going all Neo-Borg is what has us all nervous, because we're just waiting for the first big "oops" moment of it all.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #404 on: July 20, 2015, 05:28 PM »

It is for your protection.  :)

Well, yeah ...

Which is why I'm a little confused. Win8 had "funny" UI Metro issues, but it was still its own OS.

This whole "Updates will happen. Resistance is futile" going all Neo-Borg is what has us all nervous, because we're just waiting for the first big "oops" moment of it all.

I hope some volunteers take on the task of providing Vista/W7 support in perpetuity because if they really go ahead with all this cloud business I think it really will be the last version of Windows.  Either that or we can try to make various Linux distros look exactly like Windows or even OS/2. Heh heh.

But it is disconcertin how easily everyone forgets what the PC was all about.  They just toss around buzzwords like innovation and empowerment out of habit.  They forget those words used to be true.  At least in part.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:36 PM by MilesAhead »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #405 on: July 20, 2015, 06:00 PM »

I have some experience with this on Chrome OS, which seems to be the model that MS is adopting. Maybe the big "oops" moment won't be one big moment but many little "oops" moments. For most users everything will be fine because they only use mainstream tools that are on MS's radar.

The little "oops" might happen to users of niche tools that MS doesn't even know exist or don't have the capacity to test for. And then they might get a few hundred or few thousand complaints, until it hits some threshold several months later that prompts them to fix that bug. Or they decide to ignore it and force that niche population to either upgrade their hardware or start using a different software.

The case in point (which I keep bringing up because it pisses me off so much every time it happens) is Google's support for multimonitor use for its very own Chrome Remote Desktop. Since I bought my Chromebook in January 2014, Google must have broken CRD multimonitor support (with its automatic OS updates) at least 3 or 4 times, and every time it took them longer to fix, from 4 weeks to 2 or 3 months. Clearly there were not enough people using that feature or not vocal enough, so Google could afford to ignore us...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #406 on: July 20, 2015, 06:36 PM »
@dr_andus I think you are right.  I said before they should have released an OS for devices and another for Desktops.  For updating phones and tablets the cloud makes sense.  But it does not make sense to wreck my finely tuned desktop PC(assuming I had one or more to finely tune or finally tune) just because MS wants to say they do something about security holes.

By the way does anyone know what a Windows Phone is?  Is that like in a phone boother where you can open the window on a nice day?  The metaphores are sore.  They should just call it Phone-o-matic since you don't have to know anything to use it or abuse it.  Finger painting is all it takes to use it, update it etc..  Perfect for the kiddies.  :)

The PC version should be called Desktop Daimajin.  Unstoppable.  Not only does it boot up, it boots down every house in the neighborhood if you wake it up.  Be the first to stomp your village etc..

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #407 on: July 20, 2015, 07:18 PM »
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Windows 10 will officially be supported until 2020, with long-term support going until 2025.

That sounds very much like the life cycle of all past editions of Windows. So what's up with that? :huh:

I'll try to find the link again.

EDIT: Found it!

According to an updated support document published to Microsoft’s site, the company will offer “mainstream support” for Windows 10 through October 13, 2020, and “extended support” (that is, how long you can expect Microsoft to issue Windows 10 security fixes) through October 14, 2025.

For those keeping score at home, the five-year mainstream support and ten-year extended support periods are more or less in line with the support cycles for Windows Vista, 7, and 8, so you won’t be cut off early, support-wise, with Windows 10.

Read the entire article here: http://www.pcworld.c...s-for-ten-years.html

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #408 on: July 21, 2015, 01:00 AM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #410 on: July 23, 2015, 02:16 AM »
I hope some volunteers take on the task of providing Vista/W7 support in perpetuity because if they really go ahead with all this cloud business I think it really will be the last version of Windows.  Either that or we can try to make various Linux distros look exactly like Windows or even OS/2. Heh heh.

I actually think this is what someone should do - *really* mirror Windows basic look and feel on a Linux Distro. On the software side, is how Kingsoft Office and some of the others are finally really starting to mirror the MS versions. Compare this to my log-standing gripe about LibreOffice - "stuff is just somewhere else."

My rough instincts on why they don't are:

- "Linux should be different and 'our distro' is the best of the different ones". - Not sure how to un-convince anyone of that.

- Microsoft might have a whole ton of very old look-feel patents/trademarks/other on the core components, so that no Linux distro can possibly truly duplicate the look and feel. But in some ways I "only want 30 things", about ten of which are in the Right-Click menu.

- The radical nature of Linux architecture may create near-impossible logic-circles that prevent truly mimicking Windows. But way up there in the list is, I'd like much more powerful support for just "grabbing an application and/or an update" on the fly, without being *forced* to funnel it through some big package.

- Heh: "Other look and feel issues that are too specific for this post". (Nod to Fermat!)  

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #411 on: July 23, 2015, 02:24 AM »
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Windows 10 will officially be supported until 2020, with long-term support going until 2025.

That sounds very much like the life cycle of all past editions of Windows. So what's up with that? :huh:

I'll try to find the link again.

EDIT: Found it!

To me, this sounds very roughly like, MS is definitely planning on turning "updates" into much bigger things than simple security updates - maybe more like Service Packs. But this on this other side of things, they have no idea exactly what they'll be up to by then, so they're just setting the early sunset stuff in motion - really rather cheap to do to avoid accidental 10 million dollar lawsuits later.

They could at that point just "sweep everything up" and re-align customers on some standardized set of whatever exists about 2018, because I see potential fragmentation - let's say we all get the "early" Windows 10 - then your friend gets some OEM machine two years from now with "Windows 10" ... who has what? How do you tell them apart? There are a couple of real tech support nightmares here. The closest thing it reminds me of is the mobile OS scene with Android.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #412 on: July 23, 2015, 12:54 PM »
I am getting more and more anxious to see if Quizo QTTabBar (now at version 1026) will get along with Windows 10. I have gotten myself so accustomed to tabs in Explorer, I am already planning a riot, if I have to say goodbye to them!

Did any of you guys test Win 10 with Quizo tabs?  :tellme:

tabs in Explorer:

800e.gif

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #413 on: July 23, 2015, 02:13 PM »
tabs in Explorer:

I thought the Explorer in W10 finally has tabs built in?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #414 on: July 23, 2015, 03:15 PM »
the title of this thread is "Windows 10 Announced", not like "Have you tried the beta versions of Windows 10?"
I don't install beta versions of anything.
Further more, you all have debated it as if everybody knows it, but not really telling what it can do.

--------------
Sorry, that first answer was much too hasty and rude.  :-[

The case is, (I have not tried Windows 8, and) I still know nothing about Windows 10 Explorer.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:55 PM by Curt »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #415 on: July 23, 2015, 05:33 PM »
the title of this thread is "Windows 10 Announced", not like "Have you tried the beta versions of Windows 10?"
I don't install beta versions of anything.
Further more, you all have debated it as if everybody knows it, but not really telling what it can do.

--------------
Sorry, that first answer was much too hasty and rude.  :-[

The case is, (I have not tried Windows 8, and) I still know nothing about Windows 10 Explorer.

I just asked over on TenForums and guys running it say W 10 still does not have Explorer with tabs.  I think they are trying to sneak through the entire life cycle of Windows without updating the Explorer shell.  It must be a gigantic pile of spaghetti code.  :)

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #416 on: July 23, 2015, 06:47 PM »
Did any of you guys test Win 10 with Quizo tabs?  :tellme:

I just installed it to test it for you (which is to say, I haven't tested anything extensively). But it seems to work:

Screenshot - 2015-07-23 , 19_45_07.png

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #417 on: July 24, 2015, 01:13 PM »
Thank you, both MilesAhead and ayryq  :up:

---------------

Now who think this could be something:

EaseUS System Goback Free

System GoBack is the best solution to protect your Windows 10 upgrade experience, and allows to easily go back to previous Windows Operating System and restore old applications & games with only one click.

Supported OS: Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP

What can System GoBack do for you?

Protect your Windows 10 upgrade experience to avoid data loss.
    Restore operating system, applications and games without reinstalling.
    Downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 7/8/8.1 if necessary.
    Go back to the previous system station when you need.

All you need is only one click   , System GoBack is ready to protect your system with 100% security.
-EaseUS

Go read http://www.easeus.com/system-go-back/
 :tellme:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #418 on: July 24, 2015, 03:14 PM »
I used EaseUS ToDo Backup Free in the past.  It worked fine on a Vista and Windows7 machine. I tried it on Windows 8.0 and it would not make a bootable USB for rescue.  But this Laptop has issues. It might be fine on your system.

As with all these some work on some hardware and some on others.  The only way to know for sure is to try it.

I'm not sure how this is different from ToDo Backup unless it stores the rollback on your current HD.  But if you have an external I think imaging backups are generally more useful.

There is a list of free ones on  TheFreeCountry

Edit:  also it can depend on how much stuff it stores on the local HD.  If it stores the whole system partition on a hidden partition I had that with Paragon Drive Backup.  It worked well for me on XP.  But even if it works the drive is going to keep thrashing(if it is a spinner) as it goes back and forth copying back the image.  If you have a USB 3.0 or similar fast external HD to read from it may be faster to use a conventional backup image.  If the system drive is SSD then fetching from another partition should not be an issue(as long as the software that makes the partition doesn't scramble the partition information as happened to me on Vista with this "backup capsule" type of scheme.)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:21 PM by MilesAhead »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #419 on: July 25, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Thanks Curt. I will try this on my 32-bit Win 7 along with Paragon Backup before sacrificing it on the altar of Win 10.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #420 on: July 25, 2015, 06:00 PM »
Thanks Curt. I will try this on my 32-bit Win 7 along with Paragon Backup before sacrificing it on the altar of Win 10.

I have had problems with Paragon Drive Backup making a backup capsule where it messed up my partition table information on a Vista x64 machine.  This bug might be fixed by now.  But make sure you have a way to restore your partition table setup other than Paragon if you use the capsule technique.  Fortunately my machine would still boot.

Paragon backup capsule worked flawlessly for me in XP.  So I am not a Macrium fanboy just bashing it.  :)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #421 on: July 25, 2015, 10:07 PM »
I have had problems with Paragon Drive Backup making a backup capsule where it messed up my partition table information on a Vista x64 machine

Is Paragon Backup & Restore 14 from Paragon Software the same thing as Paragon Drive Backup from Macrium?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #422 on: July 26, 2015, 12:12 AM »
So I am not a Macrium fanboy just bashing it.

I presume you don't use any Macrosoft programs anymore.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #423 on: July 26, 2015, 07:40 AM »
So I am not a Macrium fanboy just bashing it.

I presume you don't use any Macrosoft programs anymore.

Do they own Paragon?  I never heard of them.
I use what works.  My Vista x64 SP1 machine did not like Macrium.  The machine had a totally unnecessary fake raid controller.  EaseUS ToDo Backup Free didn't mind it.  EaseUS ToDo doesn't like my W8 Laptop.  Macrium does.  Back with Macrium.

I have no lyalty to software that doesn't get it done(unless I am in the unenviable position of being paid to support it.)  :)