topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 682309 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #475 on: July 29, 2015, 05:43 PM »
What happens when you type AppData in?  You should still have a data folder unless you are Guest.

I only get the Windows.old's AppData.

But now I have found my AppData; it was just hidden - and at first I couldn't figure out where to 'unhide' it (because I come from Win 7, I am not used to "Ribbon"). Now I have it visible but 'dimmed'. I  still need to be the boss of my computer.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #476 on: July 29, 2015, 05:58 PM »
I finally got Windows 10 to install...

I suspect you may right about the symlinks causing the issue, as I had a few in my main workstation's configuration also and the upgrade handled them very badly. They still work...just not quite as intended. So it's making a real mess out of my OneDrive, which was linked to appear as being part of the Documents folder hierarchy.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #477 on: July 29, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Apparently they're still checking to see if it'll work on one of my computers, (even though it's already running 8.1 which has the same requirements).

Get Windows 10_2015-07-30_09-26-59.jpg

And I really doubt it's going to install on the other, (my old netbook), but I think I'll force the issue somewhat by grabbing the ISO  8)

Just clicked on the SysTray icon on the netbook, (that wouldn't install the previews), and it tells me that "This PC is compatible."

Time for some fun and games.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #478 on: July 29, 2015, 06:46 PM »
What happens when you type AppData in?  You should still have a data folder unless you are Guest.

I only get the Windows.old's AppData.

But now I have found my AppData; it was just hidden - and at first I couldn't figure out where to 'unhide' it (because I come from Win 7, I am not used to "Ribbon"). Now I have it visible but 'dimmed'. I  still need to be the boss of my computer.

I hate a ribbon.  To me having one thing on a menu bar that pops up the rest of the menus is about as useful as a browser with only BookMarks Toolbar folder on the bookmarks toolbar.  When you click it you have to navigate down.  It's really lame.  Instead of the ribbon they should have a "context menu" but with a horizontal menu that pops up above the mouse.  That way if you have to do an extra click at least you save the space by avoiding a toolbar just to have one ribbon button.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #479 on: July 29, 2015, 08:03 PM »
Apparently they're still checking to see if it'll work on one of my computers, (even though it's already running 8.1 which has the same requirements).
 (see attachment in previous post)
And I really doubt it's going to install on the other, (my old netbook), but I think I'll force the issue somewhat by grabbing the ISO  8)

Just clicked on the SysTray icon on the netbook, (that wouldn't install the previews), and it tells me that "This PC is compatible."

And please tell us!

This really seems to be entering a period when we can't "trust tech to just be tech" without agendas! Very vaguely it's reminding me to look hard at why my printer is chewing up color cartridges printing on grayscale settings ...

MS has a double edged marketing strategy that tries to make a mood of "This is Now!". Except half the time they later backtrack and go all "nah that was so three years ago".

MS did it to me again. This was supposed to be the end of my master plan from 2006, to wait out MS. Past Win 7, past Win 8.x's UI mess ... and into this. But now we're still a little early into their blinding marketing for me to decide anything coherent.

:(

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #480 on: July 30, 2015, 02:19 AM »
And I really doubt it's going to install on the other, (my old netbook), but I think I'll force the issue somewhat by grabbing the ISO  8)

And please tell us!

I was a little skeptical about whether it would work given the lack of success with the Preview builds on the netbook ... but MS have come through.

Upgrade from Win8.1Pro to Win10Pro via flash drive, (which has x86/x64 versions on it), took about 90-120 minutes and it resulted in a fully activated Win10Pro x86 installation.  Only thing missing seemed to be the Intel 950 graphics driver but going into Device Manager and telling it to update, retrieved it from the internet.
Apart from a couple of programs related to Windows Phone, this was a pretty stock Win8.1Pro installation before upgrading.

Told it to Defer Upgrades and Notify to Restart so I'll see what it does about that.

So, on the netbook: painless upgrade

Next will be my 24/7 TV recorder/downloader/fax computer, also x86, where they're still "validating" the upgrade.  If that goes OK, I might bite the bullet and do the wife's machine  >:D

I think I'll write my will while I still have arms and legs.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #481 on: July 30, 2015, 03:07 AM »
Instead of the ribbon they should have a "context menu" but with a horizontal menu that pops up above the mouse.  That way if you have to do an extra click at least you save the space by avoiding a toolbar just to have one ribbon button.

Maybe you were a fan of Circle Dock?  ;)

-------

"Windows 10 Tips and Tricks" is of course already a theme. There is (also "of course") however still very little substance:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-tips-and-tricks

-------

Actually I just came to warn that "Let the apps use your camera" is on per default!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #482 on: July 30, 2015, 04:19 AM »
"Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10 does not support ActiveX, Silverlight, Java, JavaScript" !!
 :up:
http://www.thewindow...net-explorer-message

>Edge displays "This website needs Internet Explorer" message<

This happens due to this due to compatibility issues with some of the websites. Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10 doe not support ActiveX, Silverlight, Java, JavaScript or some other legacy technology. So if you visit a website that uses such technologies which are not supported by Edge, then you will see this message.

In such cases, you should click on Open with Internet Explorer. The web page will open with IE.

Maybe I really should try Edge instead of automatically replacing it with my usual browser?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #483 on: July 30, 2015, 04:43 AM »
Win 10 comes with a very fine "Print to pdf" + pdf reader  :up:

--------------

Agnitum's Outpost Security Suite Pro does not (yet) support Windows 10   :(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:00 AM by Curt »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #484 on: July 30, 2015, 12:59 PM »
So, as mentioned before, I had some problems making the upgrade. I'll write about them here just in case they help anybody else.

As I said earlier, I tried the Windows Update method and it got to somewhere above 75% of the installation process, into the "configuring programs" part of the install. Then it rebooted and said "Restoring your previous version of Windows." When I got back into Windows 7, there was no error message or any indication of why it failed. And somehow Windows 7 was deactivated and said I had 30 days to activate. So I reactivated it.

Then I tried using the Media Tool, selecting the "upgrade this PC now" option. Though the process was slightly different, it did pretty much the same thing, getting to something like 87% of the way through the installation before rebooting and restoring me back to Windows 7 again. This time there was an error message. Once again Windows 7 was deactivated. So I reactivated it again. Then I researched the error message.

Ultimately, I decided the problem was that I was using Junctions to store my data in places where the OS didn't want them, with the Junctions tricking the OS into thinking the data were in the right place. So I formatted the OS drive, installed Windows 7 fresh, then installed only SP1 from Windows Update, then used the Media Tool to upgrade to Windows 10. Additionally, since it was a fresh install anyway, I customized the upgrade option to not keep any programs or personal files, so it would be a clean install of Windows 10. I also disconnected my computer from the internet to prevent it from "checking for updates" forever (and because I read that that could help with the particular error message I had gotten). And it worked!

I got Windows 10 installed and loaded. But then I ran into another problem. Windows hadn't activated during the install because I had disconnected my PC from the internet. So I plugged it back in and connected and tried to manually activate and I kept getting an error saying it wasn't activated. I'd click the "more details" link which would pop open a little dialog box, but it was blank. I tried this multiple times over the course of a few hours and kept getting the same issue. Only one time when I clicked the "more details" link did it actually show anything in the dialog box. It gave an error code and had a message something like "couldn't reach the server or the key is not valid." I suspected that Microsoft's validation servers were being hammered by people upgrading to Windows 10, but was in contact with others who had successfully upgraded and activated, so I was getting concerned that for some reason, Windows 10 wouldn't activate, especially since the installation kept deactivating my Windows 7 install.

Again, this happened over the course of several hours. Finally, I decided that if it wasn't going to activate, I was just going to go back to Windows 7 (and possibly try upgrading again in the future). I asked someone I know to type "slmgr /cpr" in their cmd prompt to see what it told him, he said it said his computer was authorized permanently. Mine had said something different when I tried it, but I couldn't remember what it had said, so I tried it again, and this time it said mine was activated permanently.

So I checked the activation status and it said Windows 10 was activated.

Phew!

I'm noticing quirks and bugs as I use its features. I don't think I've ever been this early of an adopter of a new Microsoft OS. But I'm trying to make use of the Windows Feedback app to report bugs and things like that.

One thing I can say is that it's very simple to add multiple user accounts to Windows, which is something I've never tried before because it seemed messy and complicated to me in the past. Well, it was simple for me, anyway. I had to "invite" my wife via email to add her account to this device. She set up her account on this PC this morning while I was still asleep. So I don't know what she had to go through to do it. But if she figured it out without my help, it's probably not too difficult of a process.

Anyway, this is long enough for now. I may write more about my experiences later.

Maybe I really should try Edge instead of automatically replacing it with my usual browser?

Edge is a nice browser. Give it a try.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #485 on: July 30, 2015, 04:13 PM »
I wonder how many people here had no problems installing Windows 10(I didn't and I connect via Wi-Fi)? I am now using Edge. Will try other threads with it. One thing I think needs to be added to it is custom zoom. Some sites I need to view at 90% zoom. With Edge, I can only have 75% and 100%. Using Edge I see and can use YouTube videos here, with IE 11 on Win 10 I can't.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:19 PM by Arizona Hot »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #486 on: July 30, 2015, 04:39 PM »
I ran into an interesting annoyance with the combination of Office 2013 and Windows 10 today. Normally I keep Outlook running but minimized so I can see the popup -(was a balloon from the tray, but in 2013 is a slide out in the top right corner)- notice of incoming mail that showed the sender, subject line, and (space permitting) a snippet of the body content.

With the new 13/10 combination, these messages are relegated to the 'Action Center' exclusively so nothing shows when mail comes in...until I interrupt what I'm doing and manually click on the Action Center which then gives a list of (all the) newly arrived mail. Which IMO totally sucks, because I now have to leave Outlook visible just to see what came in to decide on its relevance.

Anybody know how to get the time saving balloons back?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #487 on: July 30, 2015, 04:46 PM »
I ran into an interesting annoyance with the combination of Office 2013 and Windows 10 today. Normally I keep Outlook running but minimized so I can see the popup -(was a balloon from the tray, but in 2013 is a slide out in the top right corner)- notice of incoming mail that showed the sender, subject line, and (space permitting) a snippet of the body content.

With the new 13/10 combination, these messages are relegated to the 'Action Center' exclusively so nothing shows when mail comes in...until I interrupt what I'm doing and manually click on the Action Center which then gives a list of (all the) newly arrived mail. Which IMO totally sucks, because I now have to leave Outlook visible just to see what came in to decide on its relevance.

Anybody know how to get the time saving balloons back?

In my experience, Windows 10 has a balloon/slider which shows for a second or two and then disappears to the Action Center where you can view it if you missed it.

Try Settings -> System -> Notifications & actions and see if you can enable notifications for Outlook somewhere in there.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #488 on: July 30, 2015, 05:56 PM »
Next will be my 24/7 TV recorder/downloader/fax computer, also x86, where they're still "validating" the upgrade.  If that goes OK, I might bite the bullet and do the wife's machine  >:D

I think I'll write my will while I still have arms and legs.

keep us informed ...
and let us know if we inherit anything ;-)
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #489 on: July 30, 2015, 05:59 PM »
Anyone else experiencing apps opening (minimized to taskbar) when logging in from lock screen?

I keep seeing the Photos, Calculator, and Xbox apps opened up when I resume. I think I've also seen Calendar and maybe Mail, too. It's as if they open up to update for live tiles but they don't close back down again. Then again, I'm not sure why Calculator would need to update for a Live Tile thingy, so maybe that has nothing to do with it.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #490 on: July 30, 2015, 06:26 PM »
I don't see the Win10 live tile screen, probably because I use Classic Shell. But when I tried to drop a desktop icon on the Start menu, it popped up. I just had to click on the desktop to get rid of it and everything was normal again, but it still seems to be there, hidden by Classic Shell.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #491 on: July 30, 2015, 06:29 PM »
In my experience, Windows 10 has a balloon/slider which shows for a second or two and then disappears to the Action Center where you can view it if you missed it.

With Office 2010 on Windows 10 yes, you do get a balloon. But not with Office 2013 and Windows 10.

Try Settings -> System -> Notifications & actions and see if you can enable notifications for Outlook somewhere in there.

I've been through all those, and they only control whether or not the notifications show up in the Action Center. No combination I could think of - even after an Outlook restart - would result in the old style informative behavior.

Anyone else experiencing apps opening (minimized to taskbar) when logging in from lock screen?

Haven't seen that one, but I have noticed that Edge can be a bit "shy" at times, and will periodically disappear only to show up again later minimized (all session tabs intact) in the task bar.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #492 on: July 30, 2015, 07:06 PM »
I don't see the Win10 live tile screen, probably because I use Classic Shell. But when I tried to drop a desktop icon on the Start menu, it popped up. I just had to click on the desktop to get rid of it and everything was normal again, but it still seems to be there, hidden by Classic Shell.

There is no live tile screen in Win10. Now it's just the Start Menu that shows a few Live Tiles.

Screenshot - 7_30_2015 , 6_01_33 PM.png

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #493 on: July 30, 2015, 09:28 PM »

There is no live tile screen in Win10. Now it's just the Start Menu that shows a few Live Tiles.

That is what I saw when I dropped the icon on the Start menu. It's just the Start menu alone when using Classic Shell otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:35 PM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #494 on: July 30, 2015, 09:31 PM »
All my programs work in Win 10 AFAIK except for Sandboxie. I checked the Sandboxie site and they said V5.01 is the version for Win 10. I will be using this Win 7 machine until that is available.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #495 on: July 30, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Posting from Edge in Windows 10.  No problems upgrading from the upgrade wizard.  :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #496 on: July 31, 2015, 05:48 AM »
Posting from Edge in Windows 10.  No problems upgrading from the upgrade wizard.  :Thmbsup:

I hope posting from the edge is more fun than living on the edge.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #497 on: July 31, 2015, 06:26 AM »

That depends entirely on what you're living on the edge of.. ;)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #498 on: July 31, 2015, 06:50 AM »
Posting from Edge in Windows 10.  No problems upgrading from the upgrade wizard.  :Thmbsup:

That depends entirely on what you're living on the edge of.. ;)

A sharp observer may say a slice of life could be either the pith or the rind.  In a very short time the rind gets to be a grind, I find.  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #499 on: July 31, 2015, 07:36 AM »

I'm not bleeding yet, so I think I'm ok.  Of course, that's on my laptop, not on my primary computer...