topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 682346 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #450 on: July 29, 2015, 11:02 AM »
I just finished downloading both x64 and x86 ISOs of Windows 10 Pro (10240) and now Windows update is telling me I can upgrade to Windows 10...

Screenshot - 15-07-29, 10-02-56.png

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #451 on: July 29, 2015, 11:04 AM »
okay, I am trying:

2015-07-29_180022.gif

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #452 on: July 29, 2015, 11:11 AM »
I'm downloading it too. Geronimo!

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #453 on: July 29, 2015, 11:19 AM »
Just finished my installation on a second computer, and once again, File Explorer jump lists don't work, this time except for network shares. :huh:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #454 on: July 29, 2015, 11:31 AM »
Just finished my installation on a second computer, and once again, File Explorer jump lists don't work, this time except for network shares. :huh:

Do they appear and clicking them doesn't do anything, or do they not appear at all?

Are they customized (you manually added something to the jump list) or are they the ones that are automatically added to the jump list?

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #455 on: July 29, 2015, 11:58 AM »

Do they appear and clicking them doesn't do anything, or do they not appear at all?

Are they customized (you manually added something to the jump list) or are they the ones that are automatically added to the jump list?

They appear - on my desktop with "Insider" installation, I created them manually, and on my laptop which I just upgraded, they were transferred from Windows 8 (where I created them manually). Clicking them dismisses the jump list and does nothing else at all. Same applies for "Recent" items which are correctly populated but don't actually open if I click them. The exception (on both computers) is the "This PC" item, and any pinned network shares (NOT network folders, only the root share) which all work consistently. I've tried removing and re-adding all the jump list items, and removing the pinned File Explorer icon, in various combinations, which has done nothing.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #456 on: July 29, 2015, 12:19 PM »
Has anyone successfully upgraded through Windows Update? I got over 75% of the way through the upgrade process (to the "configuring settings" part of it) and then my computer rebooted and said "restoring to your previous version of Windows" and now I'm on Windows 7 again.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #457 on: July 29, 2015, 12:37 PM »
Has anyone successfully upgraded through Windows Update? I got over 75% of the way through the upgrade process (to the "configuring settings" part of it) and then my computer rebooted and said "restoring to your previous version of Windows" and now I'm on Windows 7 again.

I have, on a laptop running 8.1 - using it now.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #458 on: July 29, 2015, 01:07 PM »
I got tired of waiting and downloaded the ISOs from the MSDN. so I'm posting from Windows 10 tablet while I wait for workstation to finish.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #459 on: July 29, 2015, 01:11 PM »
By the way, Windows 10 seems to come with P2P updates built in. I'm not sure if the default is to have you serve downloads for other users over the internet or if I changed the setting to use the internet sometime when I didn't realize what it means, but...

Capture.pngWindows 10 Announced
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:31 PM by Deozaan, Reason: edited for clarity »

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #460 on: July 29, 2015, 01:19 PM »
By the way, Windows 10 seems to come with P2P updates built in. I'm not sure if the default is to have you serve downloads for other users over the internet or if I changed the setting to over the network sometime when I didn't realize what it means, but...

On my fresh upgrade, the final option ("PCs on my local network and PCs on the Internet") was selected.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #461 on: July 29, 2015, 01:29 PM »
By the way, Windows 10 seems to come with P2P updates built in. I'm not sure if the default is to have you serve downloads for other users over the internet or if I changed the setting to over the network sometime when I didn't realize what it means, but...

On my fresh upgrade, the final option ("PCs on my local network and PCs on the Internet") was selected.

That sounds like bad news for people who have data caps set by their ISPs. :down:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #462 on: July 29, 2015, 01:33 PM »
First domain member upgraded can't connect to anything on the domain after upgrade.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #463 on: July 29, 2015, 01:39 PM »
I hope to be back (here at DC) in a couple of months or so...

:-\

My first half an hour with Windows 10 has been saddening. Everything is worse than I feared. Maybe it would have been easier to accept if I first had been using Win 8. But I come from Win 7. Right now I envy Deozaan ("restoring to your previous version of Windows")!

The first serious problem was that Windows wouldn't accept my bi-language Win 7 installation, so to speak. First it was English, then I installed a Danish version on top. It used to work fine, but Win 10 said that now I had chosen (rubbish; I was never given any choice!) to install a Danish Win 10 version and I would therefore loose all my third party programs. ALL of them!!!

I cried a little, but hey, a fresh clean installation instead? so I dried my tears and accepted.

The settings were a chok (why does this browser not have a spell checker?!) to me. I knew from what I have heard about Win 8 that drastic changes were introduced. Changes that made (some) people used to the idea that Microsoft or whoever has the right to know everything about you; you must log in, you must give us access to all informations about your life and your friends and your bank account, and your... etcetera. Now this is even more in your face. With Win 10 there are incredible many boxes where I recommend to click the opposite of what is the default.

Forgive me for sounding as if the future is hopeless. Of course it is. Meanwhile I have a huge job waiting: Finding, downloading, installing and registering half a hundred programs.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #464 on: July 29, 2015, 01:42 PM »
With Win 10 there are incredible many boxes where I recommend to click the opposite of what is the default.

Definitely agree with this. By default you're sending everything you type or write, every web page you visit, all your contacts, and your location to Microsoft. Probably some other things I'm forgetting too. And a few things to advertisers to "customize your experience" or some such.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #465 on: July 29, 2015, 02:34 PM »
The first serious problem was that Windows wouldn't accept my bi-language Win 7 installation, so to speak. First it was English, then I installed a Danish version on top. It used to work fine, but Win 10 said that now I had chosen (rubbish; I was never given any choice!) to install a Danish Win 10 version and I would therefore loose all my third party programs. ALL of them!!!

that does not sound good :(
FWIW it was very easy to change in Windows 8...
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #466 on: July 29, 2015, 03:08 PM »
I tried again using the Media Creator tool and got the same result. It failed at about 87% or so into the installation process and restored Windows 7. But this time when it booted into Windows 7, it gave me an error message and some clues as to what the problem(s) may be.

0x8007002C-0x4000D

"installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation"

I found the same error code on this help page, but I'm wondering if the issue is related to my... er... unique! customizations I made to the OS.

In my efforts to separate user data from the OS drive, and since Windows 7 won't really allow you to move your User directory to another drive, I did the Next Best ThingTM and moved as much as I could to another drive and then used SymLinks/Junctions to make the OS think the files/folders were where they belong.

I guess I'll try a fresh Windows 7 install and see if that will upgrade to Windows 10 (after downloading SP1 and other required updates).

I just reinstalled Windows 7 in May and have been unhappy with a few of the choices I made in the process, so I've been considering a fresh install anyway. I'll keep you posted.

Right now I envy Deozaan ("restoring to your previous version of Windows")!

I'm sorry things are not going well for you, Curt! While it's not working for me, at least there hasn't been any data loss! :(

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #467 on: July 29, 2015, 04:20 PM »
... since Windows 7 won't really allow you to move your User directory to another drive, I did the Next Best ThingTM and moved as much as I could to another drive and then used SymLinks/Junctions...

I must say, Deozaan, I was surprised you got all the way to 85%, hehe! The very idea of this silent_background upgrade is to let the user keep his User Directory - which you didn't have. Why not redo the User_Directory in the Windows way and get a free upgrade? Well, you have plenty with time.

One unthinkable event I was not prepared for was the fact that Windows did not save my Internet shortcuts (Bookmarks)!  :o

Thanks to both tomos and Deozaan for showing empathy. I must tell that I am pleased with the speed this Win 10 WITH NO PROGRAMS INSTALLED is demonstrating: Wow, it is fast! ;-)

--------
Modified:
Oh, yes, just like last time I upgraded a Windows system, I must now figure out how to become chief of my own computer! It really is a weird feeling being unable to find AppData. I am not even told I am not allowed, no, Windows just puts the monocular to the blind eye; "What AppData? There is no AppData to look for!". Hmm...
 :tellme:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:35 PM by Curt »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #468 on: July 29, 2015, 05:01 PM »

That sounds like bad news for people who have data caps set by their ISPs. :down:

I believe that is mitigated by the Don't do X over a metered connection setting. I forget the exact name, and everything is at the office now. My laptop's upgrade was a complete catastrophe. I was trying to image to a new drive to sidestep a space issue and the operation just kept freezing ... So that one - which has all the engine tuning software for my bike - will be a brick level rebuild on the far side (shit..).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #469 on: July 29, 2015, 05:03 PM »
another (third) thing I didn't imagine is that Windows 10 has not reminded me in any way that I have no security program installed. Does Microsoft have a new chief programmer who doesn't drive SAAB?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #470 on: July 29, 2015, 05:06 PM »
It really is a weird feeling being unable to find AppData

Use either of these:
go to: C:\Users\[username]\AppData

or from anywhere just put %AppData% in the address bar, hit enter and you're there.

I typically use the first one for remote machines, and the second one locally.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #471 on: July 29, 2015, 05:13 PM »
It really is a weird feeling being unable to find AppData

Use either of these:
go to: C:\Users\[username]\AppData

or from anywhere just put %AppData% in the address bar, hit enter and you're there.

I typically use the first one for remote machines, and the second one locally.

Or if the percent signs are a pita Winkey r then enter shell:appdata

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #472 on: July 29, 2015, 05:18 PM »
You seem to already have forgotten that I was reduced to being a simple user, not in command.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #473 on: July 29, 2015, 05:28 PM »
You seem to already have forgotten that I was reduced to being a simple user, not in command.

What happens when you type it in?  You should still have a data folder unless you are Guest.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #474 on: July 29, 2015, 05:37 PM »
I finally got Windows 10 to install by doing a fresh Windows 7 install and then downloading Windows 7 SP 1, then running the Windows 10 Media Tool and selecting "Upgrade this computer" and then I disconnected my computer from the internet after the Windows 10 data had downloaded so that it would skip all the "checking for updates" stuff that takes forever.

Also, since I was on a fresh install, I told the installer not to keep any of my files or programs or settings.

Aside: I accidentally typed "adn" in this message and Microsoft Edge autocorrected it to "and" for me. :Thmbsup: