topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684551 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #375 on: July 14, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Even if Windows 10 is a success, Windows 13 will still be doomed. At least with that number.

They will skip it, of course  :D

It was just a lighthearted bit of humor about the public reaction to "Windows 13". It would be doomed just by superstition.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #376 on: July 14, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Microsoft is placing Windows fans at the center of its Windows 10 launch.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Microsoft is placing Windows fans at the center of its Windows 10 launch

Anyone here want to join in and be enthusiastic about Win 10?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #377 on: July 15, 2015, 02:00 PM »
Be the first to get Windows 10.jpg

I found this on MSN, but couldn't get a link to that.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #378 on: July 15, 2015, 05:29 PM »
When the insider program has the message that it's over (close to launch...), does this mean installing the last build on a pc for first time won't work or?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #379 on: July 15, 2015, 06:14 PM »
When the insider program has the message that it's over (close to launch...), does this mean installing the last build on a pc for first time won't work or?

It is my understanding you need to either have W10 on already, so you can get the latest via update, or download the iso images from the net someplace.  I don't think MS has yet released iso for 10240 build.

If you can find an iso for 10166 with license key and put it on you will likely get the update for 10240.  The other guys at www.tenforums.com would know more than I.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #380 on: July 15, 2015, 10:39 PM »

It is my understanding you need to either have W10 on already, so you can get the latest via update, or download the iso images from the net someplace.  I don't think MS has yet released iso for 10240 build.

If you can find an iso for 10166 with license key and put it on you will likely get the update for 10240.  The other guys at www.tenforums.com would know more than I.

Will try it and see, thanks

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #381 on: July 16, 2015, 06:46 AM »
Damn if I can remember where I read it, but I got the impression that the Insider Program was not per se ending. Supposedly due to the - new and ominous - subscription based nature of Windows the brave few idiots were going to be able to test the new update wave(s) as they came about for the rest of the folks what use Winders..

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #382 on: July 16, 2015, 07:06 AM »
Damn if I can remember where I read it, but I got the impression that the Insider Program was not per se ending. Supposedly due to the - new and ominous - subscription based nature of Windows the brave few idiots were going to be able to test the new update wave(s) as they came about for the rest of the folks what use Winders..

I remember something to that effect myself.  The best source of news I know of is the News subforum of ten forums.

Most stuff is going on there until W10 is actually released.  Then the other subforums will be purged of whatever accumulates in the interim and real problems will be posted.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #383 on: July 16, 2015, 07:20 AM »
Am I the only one for whom jump-list (both pinned and frequent) items on the File Explorer taskbar icon do not work? I "pin" all sorts of things and none of them—except "This PC"—open File Explorer or do anything. The same items in the "Quick Access" sidebar work fine, though. This has been the case for the last half-dozen builds or so… not quite sure when it started.

It's the sort of really frustrating bug that I'd think would have been commented on (and fixed) if it were common.

Let me rephrase. Can anyone confirm (or deny) that File Explorer jump lists work in their copy of Windows 10, any build?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #384 on: July 16, 2015, 11:34 AM »

I think it's in one of the FAQs.

And I have no idea about how any of this would work, but I can forsee one of those "2-man small biz operations" where they somehow bulk buy Win10 Pro/Biz copies and resell them to consumers, with the idea that the Microsoft Biz customers get the Biz edition of updates x months after the guinea pig free beta testers "consumers" get hosed by at least one colossal mistake. Then MS sends a memo to Marketing "Hai. Put the Spin Doctor team on this will ya? K-Thx." Then Biz gets the fixed normal update like any other normal update, laughs at the funny stories at lunch, and then they go back to work.

It would be interesting if we had a couple of extra Win-10 threads here and/or ongoing articles/blog columns.

Mouser, you were pondering ideas that after you got the bolts working of the new system, to add more "content". I'm suggesting things like a curated few ongoing blogs with organized info with the Microsoft FAQs, a (by then) "history" section with these pre-launch builds, and more.

I said "a few threads" because one should be neutral and just solve "where did I see that" kinds of things, and then a separate User Experience / Rant thread. (And maybe something else.)

(And to ArizonaHot) No, I can't get "excited" about Win10 - it gives me Heebee-Jeebies!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #385 on: July 16, 2015, 11:46 AM »
Am I the only one for whom jump-list (both pinned and frequent) items on the File Explorer taskbar icon do not work? I "pin" all sorts of things and none of them—except "This PC"—open File Explorer or do anything. The same items in the "Quick Access" sidebar work fine, though. This has been the case for the last half-dozen builds or so… not quite sure when it started.

It's the sort of really frustrating bug that I'd think would have been commented on (and fixed) if it were common.

Let me rephrase. Can anyone confirm (or deny) that File Explorer jump lists work in their copy of Windows 10, any build?

I've got 5 Win10 VMs running currently and they all work fine (both pinned and frequent).

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #386 on: July 16, 2015, 12:18 PM »
I've got 5 Win10 VMs running currently and they all work fine (both pinned and frequent).

Thank you for replying. I wonder if I'm going to have to reinstall from scratch to fix this. Hope not!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #387 on: July 16, 2015, 02:26 PM »
Is it just me or does 10240(?) no longer show the build number in the corner of the screen anymore? How am I supposed to know what build I'm on without that thing?  :(

Thank you for replying. I wonder if I'm going to have to reinstall from scratch to fix this. Hope not!

Mine seem to work as well.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:31 PM by Deozaan »

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #388 on: July 16, 2015, 03:05 PM »
Is it just me or does 10240(?) no longer show the build number in the corner of the screen anymore? How am I supposed to know what build I'm on without that thing?  :(
Mine seem to work as well.

I booted into safe mode to see if the jump list worked (it didn't) and found a roundabout answer for you - in safe mode the build number is printed on the desktop, at top center.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #389 on: July 16, 2015, 03:31 PM »
I found this link which says it's normal for build 10240 to not show the build watermark, and has instructions on how to find your version:

Next screen is Windows version screen. We can tell you the way to this application if you never tried earlier. Just type winver in Run box.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 05:04 PM by Deozaan »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #390 on: July 16, 2015, 04:57 PM »
Here's an article with links and information on getting an ISO of the (RTM?) build 10240:

http://www.computerw...ld-10240-itbwcw.html

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #391 on: July 16, 2015, 05:25 PM »
I found this link which says it's normal for build 10240 to not show the build watermark,

Yeah, on Ten Forums posters point to two pieces of evidence that 10240 is an RTM candidate.
1) No watermark
2) the build number is evenly divisible by 16

I never heard the bit about divide by 16 before.  :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #392 on: July 17, 2015, 11:54 AM »
The 101240 OOBE has a whole new feel (and EULA Acceptance) to it.

...I haven't made it to the desktop yet.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #393 on: July 17, 2015, 12:06 PM »

...I haven't made it to the desktop yet.

Initial reaction on Ten Forums seems very positive.  I gave up on trying them out because a VM of W10 takes me about 2 hours of messing with it at the "all but crashing" super slow stage, to get it to the stable stage.  At that it is still only about 70% as fast as a W7 x64 VM.  Just too slow to diddle with on the Lappy.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #394 on: July 17, 2015, 02:59 PM »

Anyone got a link to the EULA? I got careless and clicked through it without reading it, thinking it was the same one I accepted when I signed up for the Windows Insider Program.

Heh. I just realized that acronym is WIP, which is often used to mean "Work In Progress."

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #395 on: July 17, 2015, 03:15 PM »
Anyone got a link to the EULA? I got careless and clicked through it without reading it, thinking it was the same one I accepted when I signed up for the Windows Insider Program.

I thought the whole idea was that nobody could read those.  Are you an attorney, masochist, or joking?  :)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #396 on: July 17, 2015, 06:47 PM »
Maybe Deozaan is all three options...as these do not exclude each other.

But I guess I don't want to deal a masochistic lawyer with a (sick) sense of humor... :P

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #397 on: July 18, 2015, 05:58 AM »
Maybe Deozaan is all three options...as these do not exclude each other.

But I guess I don't want to deal a masochistic lawyer with a (sick) sense of humor... :P

Especially not if he charges $500/hr.  :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #398 on: July 18, 2015, 10:16 AM »

I thought the whole idea was that nobody could read those.  Are you an attorney, masochist, or joking?  :)

You forgot some of us luv playing "spot the differences!"

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #399 on: July 18, 2015, 10:33 AM »
Curiouser still, the Windows Insider Preview .iso download page is now disabled.