topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 8:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 682308 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #325 on: June 30, 2015, 12:28 PM »
Oh FFS! ...The icon for their "All New" MS Edge browser, is a $^%#& Blue 'E'!!?! Seriously??!!??

You have to understand what decades of a blue E has done to the minds of the simple users, the ones that the rest of us wonder how they ever managed to turn a computer on. To them, the blue E means the internet. That's all they know and understand. They won't be able to handle a change to another symbol. They would get lost and never be able to figure out where the internet is. They will flood ISP tech support hotlines asking where the internet went and how to get it back. As long as there is a blue E in sight, they will understand and click it, and life for them will transition to Win10 much easier.

Unless of course you would like to personally handle all their "missing internet" complaints?  :tellme:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #326 on: June 30, 2015, 02:05 PM »
You have to understand what decades of a blue E has done to the minds of the simple users, the ones that the rest of us wonder how they ever managed to turn a computer on. To them, the blue E means the internet.

No it doesn't ... Those people still install the internet from their AOL CDs. While the rest of the middle ground have been quietly moved to Chrome by one of the myriad of Java updates.

MS wanted/needed to make a break from the past, and to distance their new baby from the stigma that is the 'Blue E' ... Which they just failed at completely IMO.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #327 on: July 01, 2015, 01:16 AM »
But the letter e in that shade of blue with the curve just so is so unique that it's patented and trademarked and copyrighted and everything else. So the next time anyone else writes e in blue, Microsoft can sue them into oblivion!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #328 on: July 01, 2015, 01:18 AM »
Anyone know how to get Windows 10 to update immediately? I've checked for updates and it often says "We found updates, we'll download them later."

Uh, no. Now is good for me, thanks. But I can't seem to find the option to force it to download now.

I'm on the fast ring, with "Delay Updates" disabled.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #329 on: July 01, 2015, 05:49 AM »
Anyone know how to get Windows 10 to update immediately? I've checked for updates and it often says "We found updates, we'll download them later."

Uh, no. Now is good for me, thanks. But I can't seem to find the option to force it to download now.

I'm on the fast ring, with "Delay Updates" disabled.

I would also ask here:
http://www.tenforums...com/windows-10-news/

Lots of people with multiple machines running various preview builds installed both through update and ISO images.  Plus the Main Mod Brink has a tutorial for just about everything.  He may chime in.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #330 on: July 01, 2015, 06:49 AM »

I've got 3 Win 10 VMs here at the office. One I'd left running and it had it (10158) ready to go yesterday morning. I just fired up one of the others, hit check for updates, and it came up with another newer build (10159) yesterday.

Maybe your check fell in between the build updates that were oddly (emergency?) close together?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:57 AM by Stoic Joker »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #331 on: July 01, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Wow, fancy new login screen in 10159 ... Looks like they're getting it ready for prime time.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #332 on: July 01, 2015, 08:07 AM »
I've got 3 Win 10 VMs here at the office. One I'd left running and it had it (10158) ready to go yesterday morning. I just fired up one of the others, hit check for updates, and it came up with another newer build (10159) yesterday.

Maybe your check fell in between the build updates that were oddly (emergency?) close together?

Odd version number too?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #333 on: July 01, 2015, 08:44 AM »
Since one of our lab machines won't upgrade from 10130 (failed 3 times), I'm experimenting with this now:
http://www.zdnet.com...upgrade-into-an-iso/

Fairly quick and easy way to create a current ISO.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #334 on: July 01, 2015, 09:14 AM »
Since one of our lab machines won't upgrade from 10130 (failed 3 times), I'm experimenting with this now:
http://www.zdnet.com...upgrade-into-an-iso/

Fairly quick and easy way to create a current ISO.

Yeah, on TenForums that tool has been around for quite some time.  It sucks an iso out of the erd mess.  I ran it once and it worked.  What kills me on this laptop is doing stuff in a VM with all the file clutter when you first try to update or whatever, stuff barely runs.  Once I can clean out all the rubbish and defrag the VM and the host OS file system, then stuff is slow but at least it doesn't crash or stutter.  But it's too painful to really do anything.

A Windows 7 Vista or Linux a little bit different story.  The VMs run well enough to try them out a bit.  The HD in this is only a Sata II so that tends to make VMs slog.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #335 on: July 01, 2015, 09:57 AM »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #336 on: July 01, 2015, 11:09 AM »
Build 10159

Bit late on that news ... Scroll ^up^ to 7:45 this morning. :D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #337 on: July 01, 2015, 11:24 AM »
Build 10159

Bit late on that news ... Scroll ^up^ to 7:45 this morning. :D

That can happen without coffee.  :)

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #338 on: July 02, 2015, 02:30 PM »
Yet another updated version was pushed out to the "fast ring" today, build 10162:

Hi everyone,

We have one more surprise for you this week – Build 10162, releasing to the Fast ring.

We’re at the point in the development of Windows 10 where nearly every build is getting out to our internal rings, and passing the criteria for release to Windows Insiders. We’re focused at this point on bug fixing and final polish, so it’s much easier for each build to get all the way through than earlier in the cycle when we’re adding big new features. So now we find ourselves in a great situation, with an abundance of build candidates. We’re deciding how long to let each build stay with Windows Insiders so you can really exercise them and send feedback on any problems that you’re hitting. I know many of you have said you’d love daily builds, but it is actually important sometimes to get a few days on a build so that all of the code that does deferred work (like OneDrive sync, search indexing, background updating, etc.) can run and we can get feedback and error reports.

We just released Build 10159 with our new wallpaper and logon UI on Tuesday, but this is a holiday weekend in the US and we thought that some of you might want to get an even fresher build on your PCs to play with over the long weekend. Build 10162 is another great one. In fact, our testing and internal telemetry metrics show it has better reliability, performance, battery life, and compatibility than any Windows 10 Insider Preview build so far.

We haven’t forgotten about Windows Insiders in the Slow ring either – we’re looking at Build 10162 as a candidate and unless we see any issues emerge in the Fast ring we’ll look to publish it to Slow (with ISOs) early next week.

We’re getting close now! We hope you’re as excited as we are about how Windows 10 is shaping up.

Thanks,
g
-Microsoft's Gabe Aul, on the Windows blog
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #339 on: July 02, 2015, 03:35 PM »
I don't know if it was this way before, but now I see the "Settings" down by the "Power" options in the Start Menu (is it still called that?). I like that change. :)

Oh, and this is still on build 10159.

EDIT: I just checked my netbook which I haven't updated in a while, so it's still on build 10130. Settings is in the same place. I guess I never noticed it before because I just recently realized that "Windows Update" is in Settings, and rather than pressing the Windows key and typing "Windows Update" I can just click Settings -> Update & Security.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:45 PM by Deozaan »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #340 on: July 02, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Anyone else have problems with Windows Update saying "Downloading updates 0%" forever? Is the download so huge that an hour later it is still at 0%?

I finally managed to get my netbook to show some progress, but it interrupted itself and said it couldn't install some updates because some updates were being installed. Then it said it might help if I reboot. I rebooted, and Windows Update told me the same thing again, so this time I clicked retry and now it says "Preparing to install updates 35%" and has been "stuck" there for quite a while.

But my VM with Windows 10 is still at 0% and has been for about an hour.

EDIT: Just after I submitted this, I went to the VM and clicked around a bit and went back to Windows Update and it refreshed the screen and now it's saying 24%. So maybe it just sometimes has problems updating the progress bar or percentage/text while it's doing its thing.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #341 on: July 02, 2015, 04:58 PM »
Anyone else have problems with Windows Update saying "Downloading updates 0%" forever? Is the download so huge that an hour later it is still at 0%?

I finally managed to get my netbook to show some progress, but it interrupted itself and said it couldn't install some updates because some updates were being installed. Then it said it might help if I reboot. I rebooted, and Windows Update told me the same thing again, so this time I clicked retry and now it says "Preparing to install updates 35%" and has been "stuck" there for quite a while.

But my VM with Windows 10 is still at 0% and has been for about an hour.

EDIT: Just after I submitted this, I went to the VM and clicked around a bit and went back to Windows Update and it refreshed the screen and now it's saying 24%. So maybe it just sometimes has problems updating the progress bar or percentage/text while it's doing its thing.

Can you imagine the support calls every time there is an OS 10 update and 50,000 PCs and devices break on the same day?  The "free" OS might cost MS millions.  I never even liked putting on Service Packs.  So many times they just would not go on or would take a dozen attempts.  I tried to buy my PCs with at least SP 1 already on.  But you can't always wait for it.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #342 on: July 02, 2015, 05:03 PM »
Build 10162 just released to fast ring

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #343 on: July 02, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Build 10162 just released to fast ring

Instead of "fast ring" and "slow ring" they should have gone with "ring 0" most privileged, and "ring 3" user level code.  :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #344 on: July 02, 2015, 07:04 PM »

Really, they have no fun anymore over there.
They couldn't name it "Gollum's Ring"?
 :P

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #345 on: July 03, 2015, 04:37 AM »
Expect Windows 10 on July 29 -  Don't hold your breath.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Expect Windows 10 on July 29 Don't hold your breath

I wonder if some people will have to threaten to sue Microsoft to keep the Win 10 virus out of their computer or whether it won't take no for an answer. Did Microsoft really learn their lesson with Windows 8? If it is going to be free for a year, does that mean they expect it to be buggy for that long?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 05:02 AM by Arizona Hot »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #346 on: July 03, 2015, 06:42 AM »
Has anyone else had activation issues with 10? All 5 of mine were activated up to build 10158, but even after switching to the updated key, neither build 10159 or 10162 will activate for me.

It doesn't complain about the key which is posted everywhere and therefore presumed valid. It just keeps saying "Windows can't activate. Try again later".

I'm running four 10 pros, and one 10 home. some are signed up (and verified) for the Windows Insider Club, some are not, and one is still using a strictly LM account ... And nobody will activate with any of the TP keys I've seen to date.

Ideas?

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #347 on: July 03, 2015, 11:52 AM »
Microsoft have made ISO's of the 10162 build available for download today. Grab the files here: http://windows.micro.../windows/preview-iso
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #348 on: July 03, 2015, 02:03 PM »
I wonder if some people will have to threaten to sue Microsoft to keep the Win 10 virus out of their computer or whether it won't take no for an answer. Did Microsoft really learn their lesson with Windows 8? If it is going to be free for a year, does that mean they expect it to be buggy for that long?

Well, I take exception to using the word "virus" even in sarcasm, because viruses don't normally run your whole computer with real software!

I'd settle for any of the other slants of MS just being slimy and so on. I really don't like their hubris of "haha, we'll wreck the comps of the piddly little home consumers (eew), make them do implicit forced bug testing for free, and 30,000 BSOD's and lost data later, oh look, it's nice and safe for our Valued Business Customers!"

>:(

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #349 on: July 03, 2015, 02:13 PM »
Something's bothering me, if they're only a month away, I'd hope it was rock solid! But it all still sounds like there are fundamental basic bugs going on!

Ps I wish Mark Russinovich was still on our side! He'd have a few useful things to say! But he's squirreled away into Microsoft now! : (