topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 682313 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #300 on: June 24, 2015, 05:59 AM »
even though I have a license key for Win 8 Pro, I have never even tried Win 8, mainly because I was told I would have to create a Microsoft Account and log in to it!

there was a workaround for Win.8 - but they certainly made it seem as if you *had* to connect with that MS account. IIRC, it was a case of first accepting and then in the next step there was an opt-out option.

No idea if it's easier with 10.
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #301 on: June 24, 2015, 06:55 AM »
even though I have a license key for Win 8 Pro, I have never even tried Win 8, mainly because I was told I would have to create a Microsoft Account and log in to it!

there was a workaround for Win.8 - but they certainly made it seem as if you *had* to connect with that MS account. IIRC, it was a case of first accepting and then in the next step there was an opt-out option.

No idea if it's easier with 10.

LOL Nope! it's actually much worse.

In Win8.x You only had to click create new MS account, and then (find hidden at the bottom) click the use local account option. With 10 it's buried another level, So for a clean install if you want to use local accounts. You have to select the Company Owned Computer option ... Then it's the same game as Win8.x. If you select the It's My Computer option it's MS Live accounts only (during the OOBE).

Oh yeah... and if you click the wrong one there is no way to backup and choose the other short of dumping the box to force the OOBE wizard to start over.

On a side note: if you do end up going the oops dump route to start over, 10 has an odd habit of trying to login in with a "default" account for which there is no known/available password. The only way out of that little mess is to - quite counter intuitively - select "Cancel Login" which then causes it to fall back to (where you wanted to be) the OOBE Wizard.

^That little tip cost me half an hour of befuddled fiddling.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #302 on: June 24, 2015, 07:02 AM »

thanks for sparing us that :D
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #303 on: June 24, 2015, 07:33 AM »
Thank you, guys, for the answers.

However, this answer:

for a clean install if you want to use local accounts, you have to select the Company Owned Computer option. If you select the It's My Computer option, it's MS Live accounts only (during the OOBE).

if you click the wrong one, there is no way to backup

10 has an odd habit of trying to login in with a "default" account for which there is no known/available password. The only way out of that little mess is to - quite counter intuitively - select "Cancel Login".

-made my stomach so uneasy that I totally lost my courage. Win 10 is absolutely not for me  ,  yet.    :o

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #304 on: June 24, 2015, 07:56 AM »

It was likely done by that guy who words the referendums on the ballot.  Like if you don't want new taxes you have to vote yes.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #305 on: June 24, 2015, 08:37 AM »
Note that on 8 I think 10 as well you can revert from a Microsoft account back to a local account.

Personally I went ahead and set up a Microsoft account when I first got a windows 8 PC, so I could at least try out the app store. Then, I had to have it anyway when I wanted to get the 10 preview build. I found out when I later upgraded another PC to 10, that this had the annoying effect of syncing my wallpaper across PC's. If that's the most annoying problem I run in to (and there's a way to turn it off) I can live with that.

Maybe once there is a final build of 10, I'll disconnect from the Microsoft overlords; until then I think I need it.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #306 on: June 24, 2015, 11:48 AM »
I found out when I later upgraded another PC to 10, that this had the annoying effect of syncing my wallpaper across PC's. If that's the most annoying problem I run in to (and there's a way to turn it off) I can live with that.

Yes there is a way of turning it off. Which is a fact I ran across in the process of turning it on to see if it would sync the wallpaper... :D

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #307 on: June 24, 2015, 09:17 PM »
-made my stomach so uneasy that I totally lost my courage.

No need for stress, it's easier than Win 8 was - here's the latest Win10 build installation steps for a local account:

2015-06-25 12_07_03.pngWindows 10 Announced

2015-06-25 12_07_34.pngWindows 10 Announced

2015-06-25 12_07_57.pngWindows 10 Announced

According to dxdiag, the CPU is an Intel Atom N270 @ ~1.6Ghz, which is higher than I thought. DxDiag also says the system model is MS-N031, which I do see in small print on the sticker underneath, nearby the much larger U120 printed on the same sticker.

I installed Win8.1 Pro from scratch and have fully updated it but the Win 10 notifier updates don't even appear as downloads.  Seems strange that Win10 won't install since 8.1 runs fine on it but I'm guessing it's something BIOS related, (I've got the last modded BIOS version), so unless someone has any ideas about what specifically are the requirements of 10 as opposed to 8.1, (posts I've seen all refer back to the Win8 Upgrade Assistant for testing to see if Win10 will install), I'm out of luck on the netbook it seems.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:28 PM by 4wd »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #308 on: June 25, 2015, 01:08 AM »
According to dxdiag, the CPU is an Intel Atom N270 @ ~1.6Ghz, which is higher than I thought. DxDiag also says the system model is MS-N031, which I do see in small print on the sticker underneath, nearby the much larger U120 printed on the same sticker.

I installed Win8.1 Pro from scratch and have fully updated it but the Win 10 notifier updates don't even appear as downloads.  Seems strange that Win10 won't install since 8.1 runs fine on it but I'm guessing it's something BIOS related, (I've got the last modded BIOS version), so unless someone has any ideas about what specifically are the requirements of 10 as opposed to 8.1, (posts I've seen all refer back to the Win8 Upgrade Assistant for testing to see if Win10 will install), I'm out of luck on the netbook it seems.

It may be the GPU/onboard video. Have you seen this page of the system specification/minimum requirements?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #309 on: June 25, 2015, 01:55 AM »
It may be the GPU/onboard video. Have you seen this page of the system specification/minimum requirements?

It's the same hardware as your netbook, Atom N270, Intel® 945GSE chipset with GMA950 Gfx.

They list exactly the same requirements for Windows 8.1 (actually more: PAE, NX, and SSE2), which it's running.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #310 on: June 25, 2015, 02:01 AM »

It's the same hardware as your netbook, Atom N270, Intel® 945GSE chipset with GMA950 Gfx.

They list exactly the same requirements for Windows 8.1 (actually more: PAE, NX, and SSE2), which it's running.

Weird. Well, like I said. Mine was an upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate. I just popped in the disc from within Windows 7 and clicked Install or Setup or whatever it was.

I never could get the Reserve Windows 10 (from Windows Update) to show up on the netbook.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #311 on: June 27, 2015, 08:20 AM »
To further add to the "Why isn't the Windows 10 reservation notifier showing up" mystery, my friend who just bought a shiny new Dell XPS 13 a few months ago has tried every trick under the sun and still cannot convince the notifier to show up.

Every trick, every hack says it has completed successfully, but still no notifier.

I guess it's not a huge deal, though. On July 29th the notifier will show up for everyone regardless as it has a Windows 10 compatibility checker built-in so people can see if their PC is up to running the new OS.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #312 on: June 27, 2015, 11:11 AM »
I guess it's not a huge deal, though. On July 29th the notifier will show up for everyone regardless as it has a Windows 10 compatibility checker built-in so people can see if their PC is up to running the new OS.

I think it's just the principle of the thing, since the success of the reservation offer seems to be quite random. ...And some of us just don't deal with random all that well. :D

My semi antique Dell laptop (in a workgroup) got the offer all by itself.
My fairly new HP ElitePad 900 (also in a workgroup) just can't seem to find it.
None of my domain machines (which I believe is by design) have been offered 10.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #314 on: June 27, 2015, 09:52 PM »
I never could get the Reserve Windows 10 (from Windows Update) to show up on the netbook.

Turned the netbook on this morning intending to image it and then try Win10 ISO install/upgrade from fully updated Win8.1 ... then I noticed the Win10 upgrade icon in the Notification area.

So, now I'll image it like I was going to and then try the MS upgrade method.

Don't know if it's significant but I normally have Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows turned off (unchecked) because I don't have any other MS products but I turned it on this morning on the off chance it'd do something.

Unfortunately I didn't notice whether the icon was there before I did that.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #315 on: June 28, 2015, 06:47 AM »
(see attachment in previous post)
FAQ: How Microsoft will update Windows 10  Computerworld
interesting acticle -
especially re how Win 10 will be updated (as in regular Windows updates).
Desperately need some good info-graphics though...
Whether it's because Microsoft wants to expand feedback (its rationale) or simply wants to shift the testing burden from its engineers to users (the cynic's view), the company will employ customers to shake out bugs more than ever before.

The company hasn't been shy about saying so. "Enterprises will be able to receive feature updates after their quality and application compatibility has been assessed in the consumer market," Jim Alkove, director of program management for Microsoft's enterprise group, said in a January blog post.

I found this article a bit clearer re the overview:
http://www.infoworld...vils-in-details.html
  • Microsoft will continue to run its massive automated regimen and dog fooding in-house.
  • When the patch looks good, it'll go to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. (There may be a "Ludicrous ring" at some point, but there's been no official word from Microsoft.)
  • Once the Fast folks have hammered on it for a suitable amount of time, the patch will go to the Windows Insiders Slow ring.
  • Having passed Slow ring muster, the patch heads out in two directions.
  • First, the Slow-approved patch goes out to all consumer Windows 10 customers -- the ones with "free" Windows. Consumers have no choice about it; they will get the patch, thereby being updated to the "Current branch." Presumably Windows 10 will have some mechanism for prohibiting reboots at specific times of the day, but that's the extent of individual customers' control. There will be no ability to shut off automatic updates (short of permanently disconnecting from the Internet), no provision for blocking specific updates, and no way to roll back updates -- either one at a time, or en masse -- should they cause problems. I haven't seen any official announcement that lays the process out quite so starkly, but that seems to be where we're headed.
  • At about the same time, the update will head into the Windows Update for Business buffer. There, an admin will decide whether or not to roll out the update, and to which machines on their network. We don't have any details about the process, but it sounds much like Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) -- leaving open the questions of whether WSUS as we know it will be enhanced for Windows 10, what admins get to do with Windows 7 and Windows 8 updates, and much more. System Center Operations Manager and Enterprise Mobility Suite, we're assured, will continue as they are now.
  • The patches will roll out as they become available. Patch Tuesday gets dumped in the bit bucket -- which won't make much difference because we've recently been getting patches five or six or eight times a month anyway.
Tom

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #316 on: June 28, 2015, 12:33 PM »
I think it's just the principle of the thing, since the success of the reservation offer seems to be quite random. ...And some of us just don't deal with random all that well. :D

Oh, I know. I relentlessly researched until I 'convinced' the two laptops in the house to offer the reservation, but I realize that not everyone is as zealous or as determined as some of us are.

I am an IT security professional with a degree, dang it! I will not be out-smarted by a software upgrade offer!!! ;)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #317 on: June 28, 2015, 03:51 PM »
I was going to ask why so may seem to be in panic mode, when we have an entire year to upgrade, and the clock hasn't even started ticking, yet. But then I think you answered it:

I am an IT security professional with a degree, dang it! I will not be out-smarted by a software upgrade offer!!! ;)

Yup, I get it...can't let the machines win, even if you aren't an IT security professional with a degree.

It's been awhile since I had that human vs. machine control freak part of me really kick in, so I kind of forgot about that whole battle that causes some of us to stop eating, lose sleep, and completely lose our minds, until we win.  :D

Thanks for reminding me.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #318 on: June 28, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Is anyone else terrified of that update process!?

We went from Win 7 "the new XP", to Win 8 "rumor has it decent engine under the UI mess", to ... Updates of Borg!
(And it took us twelve years on Slashdot to get rid of the Borg Icon from Microsoft stories! (facepalm)  )

Given how exacting we are about precision (sorta!) in modern Windows admin roles (for consumers too aka Win Update), who decided on this scary mess?!

Now I DEFINITELY don't want to upgrade right pronto in the early days, this just screams of hubris waiting for a figurative piledriver of MS's rep into the pavement and then some hasty backtracking when they break the comp of someone with a lawyer behind them!

The "you have no recourse on the update and it's different from what we did for decades" feels like it steps into Fitness for Purpose territory.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #319 on: June 28, 2015, 11:39 PM »
For something different I picked up a Lumia 530 on the weekend for something to play with, (for AU$19 I couldn't resist ;D ).  Going to basically use it as a GPS data logger since the battery in my M1200E decided it didn't want to take a charge any more.

It's currently ~30% into a Fast Insider update to WP10 - maybe I'll have better luck than the netbook.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #320 on: June 29, 2015, 05:44 AM »
If anything it will likely require some fancy computin' to avoid the upgrade.  If you are online the thing will keep trying to worm its way into your system.  I don't like the idea of automatic updates that cannot be disabled.  My Laptop cannot even run a Restore Point never mind successfully going through a string of updates.  Plus the fact the "defective" update could easily have someone's IP on it.

It may be time to diddy bop over to Linux once I squeeze all the life out of W7.

I guess they are right.  This is the last version of Windows.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #321 on: June 30, 2015, 05:42 AM »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #322 on: June 30, 2015, 11:09 AM »
Build 10158 for PCs

Oh FFS! ...The icon for their "All New" MS Edge browser, is a $^%#& Blue 'E'!!?! Seriously??!!??

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #323 on: June 30, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Build 10158 for PCs

Oh FFS! ...The icon for their "All New" MS Edge browser, is a $^%#& Blue 'E'!!?! Seriously??!!??

I'd think they're saving the actual icon for the official release.  At least, I'd hope that's what's happening.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #324 on: June 30, 2015, 12:00 PM »
Build 10158 for PCs

I don't doubt they changed the name from Spartan to Edge just so they could use a morphed blue E.  After all, there were probably hundreds of variations of blue Es just lying around gathering dust.  :)