topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Movies you've seen lately  (Read 547024 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies you've seen lately - Nostradumus
« Reply #750 on: June 19, 2017, 11:05 AM »
@holt:
Hostile Waters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtomoLplUw4

I wish you hadn't posted that. I of course went and took a look-see and had to watch it all - and I thought it was very good - but then I stupidly watched the beginning of the next one that followed it (Nostradamus), and ended up watching the whole thing:

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies you've seen lately
« Reply #751 on: July 13, 2017, 01:43 PM »
There are a lot of 'seconds to disaster' and 'air crisis' films, so I will try to limit myself to only posting a few overwhelming favorites. Here is one of them;
Mayday Air Crash Investigation ~ S01E03 Flying On Empty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wI-d3NVx9Q

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #752 on: July 13, 2017, 03:05 PM »
I watched Doctor Strange yesterday.  I read that comic book every month back in the day when it cost $.12.  Lots of action.  Not bad at all.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #753 on: July 14, 2017, 03:29 AM »
Ledokol (The Icebreaker)

Ledokol.jpg

Towards the icebreaker "Mikhail Gromov" is moving a huge iceberg. Leaving from collision, the ship falls into the ice trap and is forced to drift near the coast of Antarctica. Around it only an ominous silence and a bitter cold. Fuel is running out - Nerves on edge - And even if it would be possible to go, nowhere to go anyway.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #754 on: July 14, 2017, 08:20 AM »
I saw Spiderman: Homecoming, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  First Spiderman iteration to get Peter Parker and more importantly his age right.  It seemed small in the way no other superhero movie has recently, and the inclusion of RDJ as Tony Stark helped to reinforce that IMO.  Also, it wasn't burdened by the origin story, though it was referenced, which gave it a bit of a lift.

Recommended.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #755 on: July 17, 2017, 03:48 PM »
The Best Years of our lives is the best picture I have seen lately.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036868/

Keeps all the adventure and the fresh life.
You can recover your best years by this way.

:-*

I watched Doctor Strange yesterday.  I read that comic book every month back in the day when it cost $.12.  Lots of action.  Not bad at all.

I'll see

Arrival (Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi). Loved it! :-*

"When twelve mysterious spacecraft appear around the world, linguistics professor Louise Banks is tasked with interpreting the language of the apparent alien visitors."

For whatever reason some people don't seem to understand the movie, but it still made it (currently as #209) into IMDb's Top Rated Movies. Will watch it again some day for sure!

I watched this last week. It didn't go in the direction I thought it would go from watching the trailer. I was expecting a bit more action or, at the least, something along the lines of The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008). But it was more slow, thoughtful, and philosophical. It reminded me a lot of Contact (1997). When it was over, I wasn't sure what to think about it. Ultimately, I decided that I thought it was a decent movie. I'd recommend it to people who liked Contact.
I enjoyed Contact very much. So I will try this one !!!!!
 :-*

Since there are lots of foreign subtitle movies recommended in this thread, it seems only appropriate to cross-post a warning that a recent vulnerability was discovered where hackers can infect machines using malicious subtitle files downloaded from the internet.  More info here: https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=43881

Be careful about downloading subtitle files and keep your video players up to date!
Ejem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All i see with english subtitles !!!!!

Mayday mayday !!!!!!! Helpppp !!!!!!!!!!

;D

What We Become - Another zombie apocalypse type film this time from Denmark.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Who cares !!!!!!!. We are all about surely to die !!!!!!
 ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:37 PM by Deozaan, Reason: Merged multiple consecutive replies into one post »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #756 on: July 22, 2017, 04:14 PM »
A few picks from the 25  :o or so movies I've seen since I last posted. I rate all of them on IMDB so I know the count.

84b3c065-f168-4ee4-9def-9d99d8e781a4.jpg
The Fault In Our Stars (2014) - centers around a girl with cancer. Not the kind of movie I usually watch but I'd heard too many good things about it so I gave it a shot. It lived up to its hype and had some really beautiful moments. Not your run-of-the-mill tear-jerker, highly recommended!

The-Infiltrator-Bryan-Cranston-and-John-Leguizamo.jpg
The Infiltrator (2016) - a brilliant thriller about U.S. customs agents working a sting op on Colombian drug runners. Bryan Cranston is as great as you expect him to be. John Leguizamo has a smaller part but is arguably even better. The movie has a 70s vibe about it and I'm not just talking about Cranston's moustache.

Allied-Marion-Cotillard-Brad-Pitt-630x400.jpg
Allied (2016): Decent spy thriller starring A-listers, Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard. Set in Casablanca and then in WWII London. 

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #757 on: September 14, 2017, 11:37 PM »
Anti Matter (2016)

MV5BMjEyODcwNDk4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzcwMjgxMzI@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
Anti Matter (AKA Worm) is a sci-fi noir take on the Alice in Wonderland tale. Ana, an Oxford PhD student, finds herself unable to build new memories following an experiment to generate and travel through a wormhole. The story follows her increasingly desperate efforts to understand what happened, and to find out who - or what - is behind the rising horror in her life.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #758 on: September 15, 2017, 08:07 AM »
^ Is it good?  Its hard to tell, looking at conflicting reports...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #759 on: September 15, 2017, 08:25 PM »
^ Is it good?  Its hard to tell, looking at conflicting reports...

Good question, I watch movies to be entertained, I don't care if the premise/technology/facts/acting is wrong or even bad.  All it's got to do is stop me hitting the stop button until the end. Not interested in analysing it.

In this case I was entertained, I watched the whole thing, and I'll probably forget what it was about come next week.

I watched it because it had the magic words: Science Fiction

;D

EDIT: A movie it reminded me of is Memento, (an excellent movie), where the main character has short term memory problems and has to write notes to him/herself.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:07 AM by 4wd »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #760 on: September 16, 2017, 06:46 AM »
Thanks to 40hz for "The Best Offer" and "The 100 Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" and to 4wd for "Anti Matter". Adding them to my list!

I recommend:

The Handmaiden
(Crime, Drama, Mystery)

It has a 8.1 IMDb rating and director is Chan-wook Park (who brought us Oldboy, another recommendation. With a 8.4 rating, it's IMDb's Top Rated Movie #66!)

Nothing I could say would be able to properly describe it... just watch it.  8)

upload1.jpgMovies you've seen lately

upload2.jpgMovies you've seen lately

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Harry Dean Stanton 1926-2017
« Reply #761 on: September 18, 2017, 12:21 AM »
Harry Dean Stanton (July 14, 1926 – September 15, 2017)
I don't know how many times I've watched Alien (1979), or will yet watch it again, but it wouldn't be the same without him; nor a host of other flix. He was an awesome, low-key, enduring character actor who never failed to deliver, out of the sheer unquantifiable essence of a magnificent stage presence. His career spanned over 60 years.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #762 on: September 20, 2017, 06:04 AM »
Nochnoy dozor (2004)

MV5BMjE0Nzk0NDkyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjkzOTkyMQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

insta.gif

A fantasy-thriller set in present-day Moscow where the respective forces that control daytime and nighttime do battle.

I don't know how many times I've watched Alien (1979), or will yet watch it again,

See if you can find the Fan Edit version which adds in scenes they cut out.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #763 on: October 11, 2017, 04:58 AM »
Hollywoodism: The Ideology that has Devoured Western Culture
No Country for Old Men
Kukushka/The Cuckoo
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:10 AM by panzer »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #764 on: November 02, 2017, 10:05 AM »
Love and Teleportation

A bit predictable.  But still an enjoyable low budget flick.  One suggestion..  do not put your entire SnapOn tool set in the device.  :D

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #765 on: November 20, 2017, 06:02 AM »
Alien 1,2,3
Three Days of the Condor
Chinatown
Galaxy Quest
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:46 AM by panzer »

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #766 on: November 23, 2017, 10:06 AM »
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Brawl in Cell Block 99

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #767 on: November 24, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Brawl in Cell Block 99. That was not a movie I would expect Vince Vaughn to star in. But I found it worked well with him as lead. Not your run-of-the-mill action flick, that is for sure.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #768 on: November 27, 2017, 09:12 AM »
Three Days of the Condor

Excellent flick.  I thought Max Von Sydow stole the show.  Also the book it is based on, Five Days of the Condor, is a good read.  They chopped off two days to make the film move along faster I suppose.   :P

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #769 on: November 27, 2017, 07:21 PM »
Junction (apparently also called Hostage)

This was a surprisingly good film, but fair warning: it's a dark film.  Not perfect by any means, but I thought the portrayal of the 4 meth addicts who were the main characters was really good. I thought the actors did a good job of showing the conflict their characters had (for the most part) about doing the right thing at each decision point, but weren't able to - sometimes because of the calling of their addiction but sometimes for other reasons.

It was a nice surprise that the involvement of the police in the movie didn't turn out to take the path that I was expecting the movie to take with it.

I wasn't a fan of the ending, but overall I was glad I watched the movie.  Even if it's not a movie that made me feel good.

I watched it a while back on Amazon. I'm not sure where else it's available.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #770 on: November 27, 2017, 08:43 PM »
wonder.png

Wonder (RT 84% as of posting)

I could tell from the commercials that I was likely to enjoy this movie, and after going, that's an understatement!  Owen Wilson was very understated in his role, Julia Roberts was excellent as always, I was pleasantly surprised to see Mandy Patinkin in it. 

But the star of the movie that really solidifies it is Jacob Tremblay.  I'm sure it was harder to emote under all of the makeup he was under, but you couldn't tell.  His eyes convey a lot, and just little motions and details- it wouldn't have been as solid without his performance.  A child actor that I'll be keeping my eyes on, and hope that he makes it out of childhood in Hollywood unscathed to realize his potential.

A real feel-good movie without being overbearing.  Definitely recommended.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies you've seen lately - Hereafter.
« Reply #771 on: December 04, 2017, 05:05 AM »
Well worth a watch. Hereafter:
(Text from sharpened image is in the spoiler below.)
04_40x8_67AED079.png

Spoiler
Hereafter: (fictional drama)               
 The story hinges around the social conflict between the instinctive human fear of death (and reluctance to talk about it), and the desire to know what happens on and after death - in the hereafter - and how some people have experienced glimpses of the hereafter in NDE (Near Death Experience) and others can inexplicably sometimes communicate with those who have departed. The background to this is the love that people hold for each other in families and relationships.
Directed and produced by:   Clint Eastwood.
Main character:   Matt Damon plays George Lonegan, an unassuming American man, who is an incredibly gifted, but very reluctant, spiritual medium.
Leading actress:   Cécile de France plays Marie Lelay, a French woman, who is a prominent TV current affairs and news anchor and who has recently survived a tsunami (the film opens with the tsunami, which is an incredibly realistic computerised graphics effects sequence).
Other actors:   Several, who play important roles as people in the US, France and the UK, who are drawn together by circumstances which are all cleverly interwoven to make for a very plausible and heart-warming story.
Music:   1. "Piano Concerto #2"
   Written by Sergei Rachmaninoff

2. "Una Furtiva Lagrima" from "Le elisir D'amore''
   Written by Gaetano Donizetti
   Performed by Peter Dvorsky
   Courtesy of Cobra Entertainment LLC
   By arrangement with Source/Q

3. "La Fleur Que Tu M'avais Jetée" from "Carmen"
   Written by Georges Bizet
   Performed bv Marcello Giordani
   Courtesy of Naxos

4. "Nessun Dorma" from "Turandot"
   Written by Giacomo Puccini, Giuseppe Adami
   and Renato Simoni
   Performed by Tito Beltran
   Courtesy of Silva Screen

5. "Che Gelida Manina" from "La Boheme"
   Written by Giacomo Puccini
   Performed b\ Ihomas Harper
   Courtesy of Naxos

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #772 on: December 05, 2017, 03:38 AM »
The Dark Knight Rises

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #773 on: December 13, 2017, 04:59 AM »
Signal/Sigeuneol (TV series)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #774 on: December 13, 2017, 06:22 AM »
themanwhoinventedchristmas.png
The Man who Invented Christmas (80% Rotten Tomatoes at time of posting)

Very interesting spin on Charles Dickens' experience writing A Christmas Carol.  I loved watching the writing process.  It could have been saccharine sweet, but the director was able to steer away from that, with the help of great performances by Dan Stevens and Christopher Plummer.