topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Movies you've seen lately  (Read 545640 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies you've seen lately
« Reply #725 on: March 02, 2017, 11:39 PM »
Arrival (Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi). Loved it! :-*

"When twelve mysterious spacecraft appear around the world, linguistics professor Louise Banks is tasked with interpreting the language of the apparent alien visitors."

For whatever reason some people don't seem to understand the movie, but it still made it (currently as #209) into IMDb's Top Rated Movies. Will watch it again some day for sure!

I watched this last week. It didn't go in the direction I thought it would go from watching the trailer. I was expecting a bit more action or, at the least, something along the lines of The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008). But it was more slow, thoughtful, and philosophical. It reminded me a lot of Contact (1997). When it was over, I wasn't sure what to think about it. Ultimately, I decided that I thought it was a decent movie. I'd recommend it to people who liked Contact.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #726 on: March 06, 2017, 04:42 AM »
Taboo (series)
Deadwood (series)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #727 on: March 06, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Color me stupid but I didn't care all that much for Arrival (great beginning, watchable throughout but it ultimately didn't pack the punch I was hoping for), however...  I quite enjoyed the less serious space-fluff Passengers. ;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #728 on: March 06, 2017, 06:26 PM »
The TV series I am enjoying lately is the Korean show Chief Kim.  The characters are likable(except for the heavy of course) and it is done with good humor.  I am waiting for the finale, episode 13.  The actor who plays Chief Kim gives his take on why the show shot up in popularity here:
https://www.soompi.c...s-chief-kim-popular/

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #729 on: March 06, 2017, 06:54 PM »
Color me stupid but I didn't care all that much for Arrival (great beginning, watchable throughout but it ultimately didn't pack the punch I was hoping for)

Yeah. I found Arrival to be kind of forgettable. It's certainly not in a list of my favorite movies. As I said, I felt it was decent. I certainly don't regret watching it.

And maybe if you go into it expecting it to be more along the lines of Contact, you won't be left feeling disappointed with the lack of "oomph" in the movie.

But I think I'd be fine with living the rest of my life never thinking about it again.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #730 on: March 07, 2017, 04:48 AM »
^ I really enjoyed Arrival, but yeah, had forgotten about it since :D
(But that's the way with almost all movies I watch...)

I think the main problem is / was expectations -- it wasn't what many expected from that 'type' of film
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #731 on: March 07, 2017, 05:23 AM »
I think the main problem is / was expectations -- it wasn't what many expected from that 'type' of film

Same here, Arrival was forgettable - not having read anything about it beforehand I was expecting a remake of The Arrival.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #732 on: March 07, 2017, 06:03 PM »
The Best Offer

Recently caught this on Netflix.

Enjoyable mystery about an eccentric art expert and auctioneer (played by veteran actor Jeffrey Rush) who is asked by a clinically agoraphobic and enigmatic heiress (Dutch actress Sylvia Hoeks) to arrange for the sale of a large part of her inherited collection of art and antiques. Hard to talk about it without giving the plot away. Suffice to say it was one of the better mystery movies to come out in some time. I figured it out (or more correctly hypothesized three possible endings which included the correct one) before it was over. But that didn't take anything away from the enjoyment, or the rather artistic cinematography in the picture. Recommended.  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #733 on: March 09, 2017, 09:55 PM »
Ostrov (2006) - Available on YouTube: The Island

MV5BMTk1MzA0NjEyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDAwMDY0MDE@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Somewhere in Northern Russia in a small Russian Orthodox monastery lives an unusual man whose bizarre conduct confuses his fellow monks, while others who visit the island believe that the man has the power to heal, exorcise demons and foretell the future.

Stalker (1979) - Also on Youtube: Stalker

MV5BNDY2NjU0NDAxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjQ4MTI2MTE@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

A guide leads two men through an area known as the Zone to find a room that grants wishes.

TV series that I keep meaning to mention: Paradox (Unfortunately cancelled after 5 episodes) Youtube (Rather crappy video over backdrop episodes)
During a period of high activity on the sun a physicist receives images in his lab that show an event that has yet to happen.

And another blast from the past: Invasion: Earth Youtube
In the lonely Scottish highlands, a small band of military personnel fight a desperate battle against a formidable alien intruder to prevent an invasion of the Earth.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:55 PM by 4wd »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #734 on: March 21, 2017, 05:16 PM »
I finally saw Shin Godzilla

I really enjoyed it.  It broke the mold for Toho G flicks.  The ending seemed to beg for a sequel.  It will be fun if they follow it up.  Twelve years is too long between "episodes" though.  Toho has to learn it must toe the line by keeping us supplied with Tokyo stomping special effects.  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #735 on: March 21, 2017, 05:21 PM »
Just watched Hacksaw Ridge.  Very good movie, and incredible man (Desmond T. Doss).  It's very gory, and I think very realistic in what you'd see on a battlefield, so I will give that warning.

Rotten Tomatoes
IMDB
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:17 AM by wraith808 »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #736 on: April 01, 2017, 02:31 AM »
The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Vanished...

Based on the internationally best-selling novel by Jonas Jonasson, the unlikely story of a 100-year-old man who decides it's not too late to start over. For most people it would be the adventure of a lifetime, but Allan Karlsson's unexpected journey is not his first. For a century he's made the world uncertain, and now he is on the loose again.

It's got explosions, Russians, Einstein, the atomic bomb, skinhead killers, nursing homes...and an elephant. Who could ask for more?

It's currently running on Netflix. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #737 on: April 01, 2017, 01:36 PM »

The Hundred-and-one Year Old Man is showing in cinemas here in Germany atm.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4940370
Haven't seen either film, but read the first book, knowing very little about it beforehand: it was a real surprise, and great fun.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #738 on: April 10, 2017, 09:58 AM »
We watched the following two anime movies this weekend:

Kimi no Na wa (aka "Your Name"):
https://www.funimati....com/movie/yourname/
MV5BODRmZDVmNzUtZDA4ZC00NjhkLWI2M2UtN2M0ZDIzNDcxYThjL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk0MzMzODA@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Paprika:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851578/
paprika.jpg

Both really excellent.  The first very sweet and beautiful but with some clever stuff.  The second much more "experimental" but amazingly animated and inventive.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #739 on: April 10, 2017, 04:04 PM »
I watched Dirty Dancing years back and remember finding it enjoyable, I decided to watch it again this weekend and HOLY SHIT - I was blown away by how emotional the movie made me! Maybe part of it had something to do with nostalgia but I really enjoyed it. It's amazing how time changes the way you perceive things. BTW, they're remaking it (again!) this year as a TV movie with Abigail Breslin. Sorry, but I just don't see anyone replacing Swayze and Jennifer Grey.
dd.jpgMovies you've seen lately

I also binge watched both seasons of the Italian Mafia drama "Gomorra - La serie" - top notch stuff, if you enjoyed the Sopranos or The Wire I highly recommend you watch it. The series has made the IMDB Top 250 TV list, season 3 is expected to premiere this year in Europe, US is a season behind IIRC. Also IIRC, it's currently available on Netflix.

A side-note to avoid some spoiler grief when it comes to TV series... this was brought up on Reddit by someone a few days back but it has been a pet peeve of mine for a while. When looking up a TV series on IMDB do not scroll down on the main landing page for that series, IMDB lists the number of episode each actor stars in so it's kind of a giveaway when you notice that every actor starred in 12 episodes but the one you're looking up just did 10. They probably met their maker in Ep. 10.  ;D
Instead, click on the season number and look up the specific episode you just watched.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:14 PM by nosh »

daniel999

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #740 on: April 14, 2017, 01:32 AM »
I saw La La Land just to see Emma stone for the entire two hours:-* The movie has the right amount of drama in it and completely keeps the viewer involved in those little breaks and makeup between the couple. And Emma Stone you Beauty!!!!!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #741 on: May 27, 2017, 12:09 AM »
Since there are lots of foreign subtitle movies recommended in this thread, it seems only appropriate to cross-post a warning that a recent vulnerability was discovered where hackers can infect machines using malicious subtitle files downloaded from the internet.  More info here: https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=43881

Be careful about downloading subtitle files and keep your video players up to date!

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #742 on: May 29, 2017, 01:55 PM »
Laurel & Hardy Babes In Toyland Colorized
a.k.a. March of the Wooden Soldiers Colorized
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IdIoORhID8&list=PL8xaHhw_qvnTA5hSjzqtF08M0jCl6yjS0

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #743 on: May 30, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Ostrov (2006) - Available on YouTube: The Island

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Somewhere in Northern Russia in a small Russian Orthodox monastery lives an unusual man whose bizarre conduct confuses his fellow monks, while others who visit the island believe that the man has the power to heal, exorcise demons and foretell the future.

Stalker (1979) - Also on Youtube: Stalker

[ Invalid Attachment ]

A guide leads two men through an area known as the Zone to find a room that grants wishes.

TV series that I keep meaning to mention: Paradox (Unfortunately cancelled after 5 episodes) Youtube (Rather crappy video over backdrop episodes)
During a period of high activity on the sun a physicist receives images in his lab that show an event that has yet to happen.

And another blast from the past: Invasion: Earth Youtube
In the lonely Scottish highlands, a small band of military personnel fight a desperate battle against a formidable alien intruder to prevent an invasion of the Earth.

Both excellent movies. I just got a chance to watch The Island and came away very impressed.

Stalker is also a classic. One of my favs too! Highly recommended.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #744 on: May 30, 2017, 06:08 PM »

The Hundred-and-one Year Old Man is showing in cinemas here in Germany atm.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4940370
Haven't seen either film, but read the first book, knowing very little about it beforehand: it was a real surprise, and great fun.

Thx for the heads-up. I didn't know they made a sequel. Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Not quite as much fun as the first picture. But it more than held it's own despite some critics panning it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #745 on: May 30, 2017, 06:17 PM »
I watched Dirty Dancing years back and remember finding it enjoyable, I decided to watch it again this weekend and HOLY SHIT - I was blown away by how emotional the movie made me! Maybe part of it had something to do with nostalgia but I really enjoyed it. It's amazing how time changes the way you perceive things. BTW, they're remaking it (again!) this year as a TV movie with Abigail Breslin. Sorry, but I just don't see anyone replacing Swayze and Jennifer Grey.
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Jen Gray is one of those endearing actresses who doesn't get half the credit I sometimes think she deserves. Being cute and a daughter of a Broadway great apparently has it's downsides.

I liked her as a windsail engineer-designer in the 1992 movie Wind.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies you've seen lately - "The Adjustment Bureau" (2011)
« Reply #746 on: June 16, 2017, 12:23 PM »
Watched movie "The Adjustment Bureau" (2011):
  • <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1385826/?ref_=ttawd_awd_tt>
  • A quite gripping SF love story, with the 2 star-crossed lovers flying in the face of the wishes of a mysterious and seemingly remorseless "fate" adjustment team. Good action, acting and story-line.
  • Starring Matt Damon with co-star Emily Blunt.
  • Directed by George Nolfi.
  • Screenplay by George Nolfi.
  • Based upon the short story "Adjustment Team" by Philip K. Dick.
  • Produced by Michael Hackett, George Nolfi, Bill Carraro, Chris Moore.
  • Music (excellent!) by Thomas Newman.

I'll never look at hat-wearers in quite the same way again.
17_884x664_8B1B83E9.png
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:29 PM by IainB »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PKD hmm, should I make a pun and wonder if he was mal-adjusted?
« Reply #747 on: June 16, 2017, 02:12 PM »
Philip K. Dick was one interesting person.  I read most of his SciFi stuff.  I watched a documentary about a SciFi convention in which he gave the speech which is condensed in the YouTube clip.  After seeing the documentary it was my feeling that the Wachowski Brothers were either present or saw the documentary or at least the PKD portion.  Because it sure seemed like they got the Matrix "treatment" handed over neatly packaged.

btw I read the Adjustment Team and also enjoyed the movie.  It is tough not the cheer for those "outwitting" the functionaries of the powers that be.  However it was my feeling that the rebellious feeling and struggle of the couple was part of the program.  Like when a married couple get done with the ceremony and reception and finally get to take off on the honeymoon.  It's all scripted.  But that doesn't mean there aren't any fun scenes.  ;)

Anyway, I don't recall the name of the documentary but those interested may want to search it out.  Here's the clip from YouTube:

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:22 AM by holt »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #749 on: June 18, 2017, 11:38 PM »
I Do Not Feel At Home In This World Anymore (netflix)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5710514/

*loved* it.

ps.
Turns out that this movie was written and directed by the actor who starred in another violent indie movie that I loved and recommended earlier, called Blue Ruin.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:45 PM by mouser »