topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Movies you've seen lately  (Read 547159 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies or films you've seen lately
« Reply #250 on: March 02, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Just watched Cypher (2002):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284978/

An unsuspecting, disenchanted man finds himself working as a spy in the dangerous, high-stakes world of corporate espionage. Quickly getting way over-his-head, he teams up with a mysterious femme fatale.

MV5BMTkxMzg0NjA0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjg1ODAzMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

Fun movie. Cyber spy... no more info. ;) I don't want to spoil anything. Worth a watch for fun. It gets better as it goes along, making it very worthwhile.

And Lucy Liu is just plain hot! :D C'mon... worth watching just for her~! :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #251 on: March 02, 2014, 11:25 AM »
The Guard

I think I mentioned this flick in another thread.  But I enjoyed this film quite a bit.  It's in English.  You may want to watch with the English subs on though.  The humor is all in the dialog.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:41 PM by MilesAhead »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #252 on: March 02, 2014, 01:42 PM »
Worth a watch for fun. It gets better as it goes along, making it very worthwhile.

Agree. It has a good premise and storyline. :)

And Lucy Liu is just plain hot! :D

Yes indeed! :Thmbsup:

C'mon... worth watching just for her~! :P

+1!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Check her out in a cute romantic comedy called Watching the Detectives. where you get to see a different and rather charming side to the comely Ms. Liu. (She emits some of the best sounding laughter since Goldie Hawn.)

Bunch of clips from it on YouTube. You can check out one of them here if you want to see if it's for you. (Lucy is awesome in  this scene.)

FWIW that's one thing we lost with the advent of Netflix home delivery and streaming video on-demand...that collection of entertaining film buffs and similar weirdos you used to run into at the video rental store. Sometimes I'd walk in just to listen to some of the conversations that were going down and not rent anything. :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:51 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #253 on: March 20, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Lunopolis.

lunopolis.jpg

It's awesome!

Normally I like to see a non-spoiler trailer and possibly read a plot synopsis before I watch a movie. Lunopolis is one of those rare flicks that's better if you go in completely cold.

That was the advice I got - and I'm glad to say I took it.

I won't spoil it by saying any more.

Go watch it!

:Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #254 on: March 21, 2014, 01:01 AM »
Just watched Lunopolis -- didn't really do it for me -- too silly -- I couldn't suspend disbelief sufficiently (though it did hold my interest throughout).

But for those who enjoy the genre, I'd like to recommend: Primer and Safety Not Guaranteed and Time Crimes, all of which are truly excellent.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:48 AM by mouser »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #255 on: March 21, 2014, 01:43 AM »
^Oh well...

At least you thought it was silly. Which is good since it's meant to be a send up of all those indy UFO/conspiracy shows on the Discovery and Science channels.

FWIW  I think the closest thing to it in spirit and intent is Troll Hunter. 8)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #256 on: March 22, 2014, 01:20 PM »
I didn't care too much for Lunopolis either. Mouser's statement seems to reflect my feelings about it pretty well. Essentially, I felt the whole thing was pretty ridiculous and implausible.

I'll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible, but some of my complaints are here
  • Most of the dialog seemed too fake/staged.
  • The "threatening" things didn't seem at all scary to me.
  • A lot of their behavior was illogical (both the "bad guys" and the "good guys").
  • The idea that somehow analog recordings (Polaroid, specifically) somehow escaped changes but digital recordings wouldn't didn't make any sense and even if I tried to suspend my disbelief and allow for that to be a rule in the movie's universe, it wasn't even followed through to the end. They filmed things with their digital video recorders with the intent that if they caught it on film they would know that something changed and could see the video they took as proof.
  • I noticed at one point they showed a photo of LDS missionaries and forgot to photoshop their nametags to have the Church of Lunology logo. Within a couple of minutes it showed another picture of (different?) missionaries with the nametags changed.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:26 PM by Deozaan »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2014, 01:43 PM »
On the positive side, I'd have to say that it was far better in almost every respect (acting, story, pacing, etc.), than most low budget movies.  And far less irritating in it's implausibility than most hollywood blockbusters.  And actually overall I thought the acting of the non-main characters was pretty damn good.  There is a long middle part that is almost like a documentary, which I thought was really quite well done and "felt" right in terms of tone and acting (a serious accomplishment given how silly the fake science was).

I would absolutely give this team a big budget movie deal, and trade them in a heartbeat for the baffoons that have been creating some of the recent hollywood action blockbusters.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #258 on: March 22, 2014, 01:47 PM »
I felt the whole thing was pretty ridiculous and implausible.
  Hmm, after reading the basic plot line on IMDB I have to check it out at some future opportunity.

But I gather it's not on a par with Three Days of the Condor.  :)

Gwen7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #259 on: March 22, 2014, 02:02 PM »
i thought lunopolis was a riot. i agree with 40hz. it isn't meant to be taken seriously. it's very obviously poking fun at scientology and cheesy conspiracy theory videos. it takes about 15 minutes viewing before you get it and see its all a big joke. its style of humor is similar to *best in show* or *a mighty wind* ;-)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2014, 02:12 PM »
have to disagree with your reading it as a comedy.  I love those fake comedy documentaries (This is Spinal Tap remains the pinnacle of the genre).  This movie may have been funny to you but I don't think there's a chance in hell the film makers intended it as a comedy.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #261 on: March 22, 2014, 03:17 PM »
have to disagree with your reading it as a comedy.  I love those fake comedy documentaries (This is Spinal Tap remains the pinnacle of the genre).  This movie may have been funny to you but I don't think there's a chance in hell the film makers intended it as a comedy.

Speaking of Mockumentaries, one of the funniest I've seen is Fear of a Black Hat It's kind of in the realm of CB4 but funnier and more profane.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #262 on: March 22, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Perhaps the word "comedy" wasn't what was trying to say...

Perhaps the word "prank" is closer to how I'd characterize it - except it was never presented as a "real" documentary - so I'd have to default to calling it a comedy too.

Matt Avant was quoted elsewhere as saying:

“We do take a little poke at Scientology, but we never say it, we never address it. But not necessarily just Scientology–just sort of that kind of cultish mentality. The fact that somebody can just kind of generate–and we’ve talked about this before–is that really, there’s enough philosophy and folklore and propaganda that could be associated with Lunopolis and the Church of Lunology.

If we wanted to, we could really start this organization. We could start a Church of Lunology, and people would probably sign up for it.”

This reminds me a lot of the whole Sub-Genius/Hayduke/Illuminatus inspired "head games" that used to be played to make ultra-conservative orgs and government entities utterly paranoid back in the 60s and early 70s. There was a large "in joke" element to it all. If you "got it," you were laughing your tail off watching things like the FBI running down organizations like the Erisian Liberation Front, The Hemlock Fellowship, and the John Dillinger Died for You Society. Spreading bogus rumours, creating crazy but real sounding organizations, sending lunatic letters out on official stationary filched from the actual offices (late night office cleaning jobs were very popular ways to obtain those - nobody counted or locked up letterhead or envelopes back then!) - it was the thing before Internet pranking became the norm.

So no...I think they may well have intended it to be the best story they could write and shoot. But at the end of the day, it's still comedy (in the classic sense) to me.
 8)

--------------------------------

Interview with Lunopolis director/writer Matt Avant here.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:23 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #263 on: April 03, 2014, 12:56 PM »
Apollo 18.

18.jpg

Finally got to see it all the way thorough.

It's...not bad actually. Some pretty good low-key acting on the part of the astronaut characters in a few scenes. It could have been a lot better however. And all this "found footage" schtick is getting pretty old. But Apollo-18 is nowhere near as badly done as some reviewers would have you think.

So, for a cheap no-brainer bit of sci-fi inspired throw-away horror, it's moderately entertaining - even if you can guess the ending from about 20 minutes into the movie. After that, the final "big reveal" is pretty ho-hum. And it's also one that's been used before.

Possibly worth a watch if you don't have anything better to do (I'll admit to a little web surfing while watching it after about 45 minutes in) - or there's nothing else on.
 8)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:09 PM by 40hz »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #264 on: April 03, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Recently rewatched "Angel Heart".
I love the acting, directing, dialog, and cinemetography in this movie.  Very underrated imho.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #265 on: April 03, 2014, 01:12 PM »
I love the acting, directing, dialog, and cinemetography in this movie.  Very underrated imho.

+1! :Thmbsup:

Great movie with more than a few surprises. In some respects it reminds me of what Hitchcock might be doing if he were still around.

Put Mickey Rourke in any movie and you know its gonna get a little strange. Have a movie scene set in New Orleans and you know it's gonna get a little strange. Put Mickey Rourke in a movie set in New Orleans and it's gonna did get 'mo-betta stranger yet. ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #266 on: April 03, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Someone recently asked me about the best fight scenes I've seen in terms of acting, writing, and general pathos rather than being 'just a fight scene'.

Warrior came to mind.  Some of the best acting I've seen in a Western MA flick.

warrior.jpg

By the time of final fight (Tom Hardy vs Joel Edgerton) - I had no idea who to root for- there was such emotion behind both choices, and the emotion between the two brothers. Though in most competition fight movies, they are building towards that final battle- I felt that the blocks had been more competently put in place, so that when it did happen, it felt more like a payoff rather than the execution of a trope.

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #267 on: April 03, 2014, 05:46 PM »
I felt the whole thing was pretty ridiculous and implausible.
  Hmm, after reading the basic plot line on IMDB I have to check it out at some future opportunity.

But I gather it's not on a par with Three Days of the Condor.  :)

+1 for Three Days of the Condor  :)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #268 on: April 03, 2014, 06:26 PM »
I love the acting, directing, dialog, and cinemetography in this movie.  Very underrated imho.

That's always been a favorite of mine. Besides all the stuff you mentioned, I could almost watch a movie of nothing but Mickey Rourke and Robert De Niro sitting and chewing the scenery.

Spoiler

It doesn't hurt any to have Alan Parker for a director. He also made Midnight Express, The Wall, and Mississippi Burning.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #269 on: April 03, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Renoir - Story-wise, it is an interesting movie. The beautiful locations where this is filmed, won me over though. There is a lot of functional nudity in this movie, as naked 20-somethings were the favorite subject of the painter.

Filth - Inept detectives/hint-of-evil detective movie. You follow the trail of a Scottish detective, ruthless on his way to the top. Good movie, good cast and funny if you like the 'schadenfreude' he's dealing out to everyone. And the end I didn't expect, but in hindsight, inevitable.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #270 on: April 15, 2014, 12:54 AM »
The Best Offer - Avery intriguing story about an older auctioneer that is selling the inventory of a younger woman who inherited all her antiques after her parents died... This is a movie that you should see without any knowledge beforehand. But very good acting from Geoffrey Rush. Not a boring minute in this 2 hour movie.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #271 on: April 15, 2014, 02:14 AM »
In preparation for spring cleaning, I have been watching a lot of post-apocalyptic movies & TV shows. Nothing like a good post-apocalyptic survival story to show you just how useless and worthless most of your crap already is, making it that much easier to part with it, when cleaning.  ;)

Screenshot - 4_15_2014 , 3_08_10 AM.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #272 on: April 15, 2014, 05:25 AM »
I'm rewatching "The Puffy Chair", an indie movie by the Duplass brothers -- who I think are geniuses.  One of my favorites.

MV5BMzM1OTc5NzAyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzMzOTkzMQ@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #273 on: April 15, 2014, 03:17 PM »
In preparation for spring cleaning, I have been watching a lot of post-apocalyptic movies & TV shows.

I was wondering initially if your spring cleaning was the equivalent of the apocalypse :P ;) :D
but then I read on - good logic, must try it :up:
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #274 on: May 19, 2014, 11:12 PM »
The Cloud Atlas.

cloudatlas.jpg

A not bad at all adaptation of the David Mitchell novel by the same name. A quantum metaphysical romp through several centuries of linked souls and events. Some remarkably good performances by Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, and especially Korean actress Doona Bae for her portrayal of a clone by the name of Sonmi-451.

halle.jpgMovies you've seen lately     broadb.jpgMovies you've seen lately     doona.jpgMovies you've seen lately

One fun thing about this movie is that almost every actor plays several (as in three to seven) different roles - so it's a fun game to try to identify who is playing whom in the various storylines. Some of them will surprise you when the credits roll.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 11:25 PM by 40hz »