topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Show us a picture of your.. CAR!!!  (Read 125627 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Show us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2014, 06:52 PM »
What about those nice big aftermarket rear view mirrors that clip on and reduce blindspots (they have some addons for side mirrors too).

Had a Wink mirror for ~three (3) cars  :-*.  Went nearly all the way across the top of the windshield, had to be mounted with screws.  If memory serves, it was a series of six (6) normal size rear-view mirrors, all mounted at a slightly different angle.  It was great for a sedan, or even a pick-up, but wouldn't have worked very well for a van.  Tried the side mirror add-ons/clip-ons, but they were somewhat less than satisfying  :-\.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Wow, never heard of the Elio before.  Immediately reminded me of Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion car.  Something tells me Bucky would be proud of Elio's endeavors.  :-*

https://en.wikipedia...rg/wiki/Dymaxion_car

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2014, 06:19 PM »
I've always liked cars, but I've never loved one, till now...

Peugot 309 (SX)
25 years old in October
Only 45,000 miles driven
Looks like new inside and in very good nick outside

309_SX copy.jpg

Almost looks like anti-design, doesnt it !? I like that too :D
Corners really well.
Been driving around listening to 80's music with speakers that make FM sound like medium wave. It's not like being in a time warp, it's better - no idea why really...
(FWIW, the year this car was built, I was driving a Nissan something or other, and a 1970's Volvo.)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Nice  :up:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2014, 12:47 PM »
Peugot 309 (SX)
25 years old in October
Only 45,000 miles driven
Good one!

I just had to let go of a 23-year-old Oldsmobile wagon, which I regret. Now the local farmer has it and will use it to haul produce out of the fields. 

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2014, 08:26 AM »
I just had to let go of a 23-year-old Oldsmobile wagon, which I regret. Now the local farmer has it and will use it to haul produce out of the fields.
-cranioscopical (July 25, 2014, 12:47 PM)

Sign of a good car!
big old Mercedes used be popular with the farmers in Ireland, I guess because of their sturdiness.
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2014, 10:06 PM »
big old Mercedes used be popular with the farmers in Ireland, I guess because of their sturdiness.
You'd need to be a sturdy farmer to push a big old Merc. through the fields  ;)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Just realized that I never actually uploaded photos of mine...I only uploaded a stock photo before I managed to grab any of my own...

So...Here she is!

jhbr6y1.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
Kx3JsTj.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
UqpBYFV.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

jadinolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2014, 09:57 PM »
My 1997 Toyota RAV4L turns 17 on August 8.

Please wish her many happy returns. :)
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2014, 04:47 PM »
Not mine but I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin…  :)

bike.jpg

This has a Viper 8.0 litre, V10: develops >500 BHP  8)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2014, 06:00 PM »

(see attachment in previous post)

Probably heavy enough to have a top speed of <175mph though...but that Torque must be quite fun to battle with lol

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2014, 10:42 PM »

(see attachment in previous post)

Interestingly prophetic choice of phrasing there ... Because if one snaps the throttle open on that thing it's going to "spin" alright ... Axially...

Much like the BossHoss, it's a highly impractical (for show only) Trailer Queen.

If you really want to go that fast, just buy a Hayabusa ... Your chances for survival will be much higher.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2015, 07:01 PM »
Thanks for that... I'm checking it out... but I think I'm all in. :)

Oh yeah, I'm ALL IN with the non-refundable $1000.  Now for the hard part, waiting for it to come off the assembly-line.....   :D

The only two things I still have to research are the maintenance/parts and acceleration.  If they're in high demand and your car needs a part... are you going to be able to get it?  Are there going to be mechanics certified to work on it, or how easy/hard is it to work on?  Especially with those exposed wheel mounts.  And they mention top speed... but not acceleration...

Anyone who paid/reserved for an Elio car... Have they given you any updates? 2014 came and went as AFAIK nobody has gotten an Elio 2014 model. Are they releasing this year for sure? Next year? Or is it vaporware?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2015, 11:02 PM »
Thanks for that... I'm checking it out... but I think I'm all in. :)

Oh yeah, I'm ALL IN with the non-refundable $1000.  Now for the hard part, waiting for it to come off the assembly-line.....   :D

The only two things I still have to research are the maintenance/parts and acceleration.  If they're in high demand and your car needs a part... are you going to be able to get it?  Are there going to be mechanics certified to work on it, or how easy/hard is it to work on?  Especially with those exposed wheel mounts.  And they mention top speed... but not acceleration...

Anyone who paid/reserved for an Elio car... Have they given you any updates? 2014 came and went as AFAIK nobody has gotten an Elio 2014 model. Are they releasing this year for sure? Next year? Or is it vaporware?

Yes, I reserved, and yes, it's still on.  Some of the development has taken longer- understandable as they're the first startup to make their own engine in 60 years.  But the date has been pushed back to early 2016.  And it's definitely not vaporware, as they're in testing and going to trade shows and such all the time with the cars.

http://www.eliomotors.com/blog/

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2015, 02:59 AM »
The Elio looks pretty slick. I don't think I'd get one as a primary/commuter car, but that's because of weather concerns - I'm not really sold on a car that small performing well enough during Canadian winters.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2015, 06:40 PM »
That Elio looks pretty odd...the front wheels remind me of a small aircraft and I was kind of expecting it to sprout wings and fly away o.O

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2015, 10:23 PM »
New York State would classify the Elio as a motorcycle, not a car.

Anything with less than 4 wheels is treated by the NYSDMV as a motorcycle and operates using a Class M license, while 4 wheels up to 25,000 lbs gross weight uses a Class D license.

I do like the idea though, and if it wasn't for the class M license requirement instead of the class D I have would look into getting one. I'd be one of the clunker owners that he's hoping buys it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2015, 10:51 PM »
New York State would classify the Elio as a motorcycle, not a car.

Actually, not necessarily.  Special legislation has been introduced in several places, with others on the docket.

From an e-mail that I received:

Innovative Vehicles Need Innovative Legislation:

Elio Motors Continues Efforts to Add Helmet, Motorcycle License Exemptions in 19 States

Sometimes innovation moves so quickly it is tough for lawmakers to keep up. After all, the legislative process takes time and effort for our leaders to draft, debate and vote on new ideas.

And, there is no question, the Elio is a new idea!

It’s really not surprising that so many states are working on making changes to the law to accommodate the Elio. We truly are inventing a new vehicle category and legislators across the country realize that it’s important to their constituents’ safety to get this right.

Today, there are 19 states working on exemptions for helmets and motorcycle licenses. Several of these are coming to a vote in the coming months.

Here’s a recap.

Currently only five states remain with motorcycle helmet requirements for enclosed autocycles.

At the start of the 2015 session, Mississippi House Transportation Committee unanimously moved HB 111 out to the House floor.  Sponsored by Representative Steve Massengill, the legislation puts autocycle in definition and removes helmet and motorcycle endorsement requirements for Elio autocycles.  HB 111 is expected to clear the House by mid-February.  Also in Mississippi, Senator David Parker (SB2225) and Senator Joey Fillingane (SB2122) are handling the Senate versions of the legislation.

In Missouri, Senator Jay Wasson, Chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee, has introduced SB 344 and is leading the effort to exempt helmets and motorcycle license requirements in the Senate. Representatives Dave Hinson (HB 580) and Charlie Davis (HB 562) are taking the lead in the House.  The bills remove helmet and endorsement requirements and put autocycle in definition.

Nebraska’s Senator Jim Smith, Chairman of the Transportation Committee, sponsored LB231 which had its first hearing February 2.  The legislation puts “autocycle” in definition and exempts helmet and motorcycle license requirements for autocycles.  LB231 is expected to be voted out of committee this week. Passage out of the Senate should soon follow.
Senators Bob Beach, Herb Snyder and Bob Williams have sponsored SB 259, leading the legislative effort in West Virginia.

Representative John Torbett has introduced H6 in North Carolina and awaits House Transportation Committee passage, rounding out the last of the 5 states requiring helmets.

Arizona’s Senator Judy Burges has SB 1051 on the move, which cleared the Senate Transportation Committee last week.  The bill places “autocycle” in definition and exempts autocycles from motorcycle endorsements.  Passage out of the Senate is expected soon.  Representative Warren Petersen (HB 2211) has joined the effort with companion legislation in the House.

We encourage all of our fans to be active participants in the legislative process. If you get a chance, and you live in one of these states, drop your representative a note and let them know you support the new legislation. Ultimately, it will be good for Elio, our fans, and you!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2015, 06:40 PM »

Elio's engine in action

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2015, 01:42 AM »
So, I'm finally back in Canukistan, and got a new vehicle. Well, 2... but the other will come later...

I picked up a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan with insanely low mileage for a great price. I'm really sick of sedans. I'm done with them. For now.

renegade-s-ride.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

It drives really well. Not a truckload of balls, but it's a family minivan, so, that's to be expected.

I've got 4 cameras ordered to install in it:

1 & 2 - Front and rear dash cam recorder.
3. Driver recorder.
4. Backup camera.

I put on an 18" rearview mirror, and it's WONDERFUL!!!

For anyone that doesn't have a large mirror, consider one. They rock. Here's something similar to what I got:

http://www.amazon.ca...ords=rearview+mirror

I paid less than that though, so look around if you want one.

What pretty much sold me on the model was the "Stow-n-go".

The previous driver was an old fellow that passed away. He had some payments left, and his son didn't want to keep the vehicle, so he took it back to the original dealer. I had the whole service history, which made it a much easier decision.

I've had it for a few weeks now, and am very happy with it.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2015, 11:51 AM »
I picked up a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan with insanely low mileage for a great price...

..The previous driver was an old fellow that passed away. He had some payments left, and his son didn't want to keep the vehicle, so he took it back to the original dealer.

He didn't happen to die in the van did he? :D ...Because that could explain why it was so cheap. :o

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2015, 11:54 AM »
If you don't mind the lack of guts (which you don't) those are really great for hauling stuff around.
Do post a video of your hand signals when you have feed from the driver recorder!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2015, 11:59 AM »
1 & 2 - Front and rear dash cam recorder.
3. Driver recorder.
4. Backup camera.

Why all the cameras? Just curious.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2015, 12:07 PM »
Yeah 4 cameras seems a bit excessive  :huh:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2015, 02:03 PM »
I suppose it's more of a CYA thing.

The backup camera has an obvious use for convenience/help with backing up the car.

The rest seem to be to have a record of potential traffic incidents, including a view of the driver if the car is stolen or if the driver is attacked or something.

* Deozaan shrugs.