topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What Android Apps Do You Use?  (Read 181806 times)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What Android Apps Do You Use?
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2012, 06:37 PM »
Wow, thanks, that helps the eyes and mind for sure.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2012, 06:48 PM »
I understand, since I have an android, why they come with 16gb or 32gb.
More I guess if you want more.

These Apps don't even take up 5gb on the android.
Plenty of room for saving stuff.
And plenty of cloud apps that can be utilized.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2012, 07:34 PM »
My Installed Android Apps

Are you going to review them all for us?   :)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2012, 08:08 PM »
If that's all I had to do, I would.
I will say that I wish I would have started using the Dolphin Browser when I first started with this android business.
Firefox is okay and the built in browser (safari I believe).
And sorry, Google, Chrome kind of sucks. For my use of it.
Although the other gmail related apps work good, imo.

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2012, 02:28 PM »
This may be useful:

ElectroDroid
Powerful collection of electronics tools and reference.A must for any enthusiast
ElectroDroid is a simple and powerful collection of electronics tools and reference

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Near the beginning of this thread, about 18 months ago, I listed a number of Android apps I used regularly. I still use most of those, but here are some that I use a lot now.

First, reading remains the most important activity on my Android tablets, and I have a number of e-readers. There are 3 that I use regularly, and Aldiko, which was my favorite at the time of my original post, is not one of them.  They are:

Mantano Reader Premium ($6.99). Hands down the best for reading most ePubs and pdf files. Great navigation makes it easy to find files and sections within books and documents.  The only negative is that it does not handle footnote hyperlinks very well.

Moon+ Reader Pro ($4.99) is nearly as capable, but very different and may take some getting used to. It is my reader of choice on a phone because it lets you scroll through text easily with one hand.

Nook Reader for Android. Not just for B&N purchases, this is a really good ePub reader. Very flexible with the most readable fonts of any Android reader.  Excellent hyperlink handling.

I use several file managers, including File Expert, which has an excellent built-in ftp server, among other things, but the one I use most is probably X-Plore, which works a lot like Windows Explorer, both locally and across a LAN, but with dual panes, making it exceptionally easy to copy files between Android and PCs.

DroidEdit Pro ($1.99) is a very capable programmer's text editor.  RealCalc (free) is a great calculator app, but the Pro version ($3.49) adds an amazing number of features, including RPN, base changes, custom conversions, fractions, etc.

Agenda Widget Plus ($1.88) keeps my schedule in a scrollable window on my home screen.  DTG GTD may still be in alpha, but it is already the best task manager I have found on any platform - I now use ToodleDo only to sync DTG GTD between my Android devices and am planning to try Bluestacks to put it on my PC as well. DTG GTD also has a great widget with many customization options.  Live customizable widgets are a major reason why Android has it all over iOS as a personal productivity platform, in my opinion.

Finally, while I don't really use any of my Android devices for entertainment (other than reading), Tunein Radio Pro ($0.99) is a great way to listen to any radio station that streams over the Internet.

Chessnia

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CHESSNIA
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2013, 05:20 AM »
On my Galaxy SII:

- X-plore: Free file manager, better than most paid ones. It even takes care of zipped files, it has image + video viewer, etc. etc.
- Tweetcaster: if you use twitter, this is just outstanding. Has so many useful features... I love the multiple account management.
- Sundroid: I thought this was crap, but it's actually very useful! it tells you the exact time the sun sets and rises wherever you are, moon phases, etc. (the paid version has some really weird features also!)
- PicSay Pro: really simple to use photo effects editor. Lots of features. Just cool and easy.
- Meetup app for Android: if you do use meetup, it just works!
- EzPDF Reader (Reader + annotator!) Just awesome, better than any other pdf viewer. The annotating options are just amazin and simple.
Smart TaskSwitcher: I've tried them all, but this is the only one that did it for me. This is paid (really cheap though) and does a great job, I particularly love the mini (really mini!) icon displaying the remaining battery life with a 2 digit number.
Hi-Q MP3 recorder: simply brilliant. Voice to mp3 recorder, really easy to use, fast, reliable, good sound quality.
- Chrome for Android. The latest versions work incredibly well. (I do like Dolphin also, wouldn't use any of the other browsers out there though...)
- Train Crisis: out of several thousand games out there, this is the one I like the most. Outstanding HD graphix, it'll make you think, it'll test your ability with your fingers, it'll keep you interested for a long time!
- BeyondPod: if you´re serious about podcasts, you'll get this and not look back...
- Game-Clock Deluxe. Really useful if you're serious about two player time-controlled games such as chess, draughts, word games, etc. Give it a try!

More next time. ;)

TomD101

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2013, 02:00 PM »
I just inherited a Galaxy Ace from my son - yes, really.
It's my first smartphone and I have to learn from scratch.
First (and only) app I installed is
@Voice Aloud Reader.
Created by the guy who makes HyperSnap, this app reads all text aloud, that you put into the @Voice window or into a reading list. It uses the installed TTS engine - or more than one and works with many different voices from several languages.
I like it, as I have trouble reading all the stuff on the screen. So I have my emails, news and anything read to me.
Now my son has to show me how to use dropbox to go beyond tiny snippets that clog my memory card.
Thomas
Berlin

And if everything goes to plan, I will even learn how to really use that phone. My Nokia 3650 was never that complicated.
The more things stay, the more they change the sane.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2013, 02:38 AM »
Finally got CyanogenMod running :)

Here's an updated list of what I've been using these days:

Aldikoa reader - finally it can remember the zoom settings while navigating
aLogcatlogcat viewer - only useful up through Android 4.1?
Barcode ScannerQR and other barcode reader
Camera
EBookDroidreader with support for PDF (and other formats), auto-crop, per-book settings, and lots more
ES File Explorermulti-feature file explorer
F-Droiddiscovering potential apps with source available
File Expertnice for quick file-sharing
Firefoxhas support for some add-ons and OpenSearch
Gallery
Hacker's Keyboardhurray, arrow keys and friends!
Kitchen Timer
MX Playervideo player
OI ShoppingListfor managing various lists (not just shopping)
Opera Mobilehelps for downloading
Quickdroida bit like QuickSilver and/or FARR
Settings
Terminal Emulator
TubeMate

EBookDroid "almost" has this nice feature of being able to specify a page offset so that page numbers displayed by the app can be made to match better what the document displays.  Unfortunately, negative page offsets don't seem to work yet.

The attached patch appears to be working here so far.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:02 AM by ewemoa »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2013, 08:55 PM »
A couple I don't think have been mentioned already:

3G Watchdog - Watches your mobile data usage.
Brightest Flashlight - Turns on anything that produces white light on the phone, (mine doesn't have a flash so the screen goes to maximum brightness).
WD TV Remote - Remote control for your WD TV Live device - works well.
WoL Wake on LAN WAN - So I can wake my servers up from anywhere to access something.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2013, 09:52 PM »
New phone, so a couple of new apps:

Screenshot_2013-10-16-13-45-50.pngWhat Android Apps Do You Use?
Network Connections - Powerful tool that displays and monitors (tracks) all inbound and outbound connection from and to your Android device.  The unlock key to enable all features is available ->free<- for a limited time, (until 20131019), here. EXPIRED.
[NOTE: After that date the normal unlock key will be ~$4 - it's currently 50% off, (~$2).]

Screenshot_2013-10-16-13-45-28.pngWhat Android Apps Do You Use?
Android Firewall - It's a firewall  ;)  You can allow/block based on the network, eg. LAN, VPN, Roaming, Data (2G/3G/4G), and WiFi.  NOTE: Needs root access.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:41 AM by 4wd »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2013, 10:29 PM »
New phone, so a couple of new apps:
 (see attachment in previous post)Network Connections - Powerful tool that displays and monitors (tracks) all inbound and outbound connection from and to your Android device.  The unlock key to enable all features is available ->free<- for a limited time, (until 20131019), here.  After that the normal unlock key will be ~$2.
 (see attachment in previous post)Android Firewall - It's a firewall  ;)  You can allow/block based on the network, eg. LAN, VPN, Roaming, Data (2G/3G/4G), and WiFi.

Ah! Excellent!

Unfortunately, it seems I can't use Android Firewall as it requires root access and I've failed to root my device - spent a couple days on it and failed due to some bizarre scrolling issue that I couldn't resolve. Maybe I'll try again sometime when I have time.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2013, 02:49 AM »
Unfortunately, it seems I can't use Android Firewall as it requires root access and I've failed to root my device - spent a couple days on it and failed due to some bizarre scrolling issue that I couldn't resolve. Maybe I'll try again sometime when I have time.

Well that's what happens when you get older, I meant to mention it needed root but then 30 seconds passed and .... what was I saying?

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2013, 04:21 AM »
@4WD: Thanks a lot for the mention of Network Connections above and the opportunity to get a free UnlockKey.

Got it, works great, very informative NetworkUtil!

Much appreciated!
JoTo

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2013, 04:48 AM »

Well that's what happens when you get older, I meant to mention it needed root but then 30 seconds passed and .... what was I saying?

BWAHAHAHAHA~! ;D

Way off topic... The cheer leaders at Seoul Women's University are known as the SWURS - Seoul Women's University Rooting Squad. ;) And my, oh my, oh my...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Some application i use are:
1.Andozip
2.Notepad
3.Evernote
4.Facebook
5.Wechat
6.App locker
7.outlook for Android
8.gmail
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Thanks for the tip re Network Connection 4WD  :up:

The minuum keyboard can be useful on small screens (not free).

sinum

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2013, 01:10 PM »
Thanks for the Network Connection hint 4wd.

I use the free Total Commander as File Manager.
Download from http://www.ghisler.com/ce.htm or Google Play Store.

GPS Navigation & Maps by Skobbler for Car Navigation, working and cheap but not free.
.sinum.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2015, 10:48 PM »
I mentioned it elsewhere, Black Player EX is my audio media player of choice.

Screenshot_2015-12-30-15-39-49.jpegWhat Android Apps Do You Use?Screenshot_2015-12-30-15-40-33.jpegWhat Android Apps Do You Use?

OSMAnd+ Maps & Navigation (was on special recently for 0.20 :) )

Screenshot_2015-12-30-15-42-33.jpegWhat Android Apps Do You Use?

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2016, 07:51 AM »
For serious audio on Android devices, it's hard to beat Neutron Music Player. This turns your device into a true high fidelity music center, accepting input from many sources, local, networked or streaming, and sending to many, including DLNA. It also provides its own 32 bit and 64 bit rendering, so you are not dependent on whatever is built into your firmware.

Neutron1.jpgWhat Android Apps Do You Use?Neutron2.jpgWhat Android Apps Do You Use?Neutron3.jpgWhat Android Apps Do You Use?Neutron4.jpgWhat Android Apps Do You Use?

For something a little more attuned to the average listener,  but still with many options, including video viewing, my choice would be PlayerPro.

Playerpro1.jpgWhat Android Apps Do You Use?PlayerPro2.jpgWhat Android Apps Do You Use?PlayerPro3.jpgWhat Android Apps Do You Use?PlayerPro4.jpgWhat Android Apps Do You Use?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:00 AM by xtabber »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2016, 10:16 PM »
UpToDown - A software repository for various OS' including Android, it has a lot of the apps you'll find in the Google Play Store with the added bonus of being able to get and install previous versions.

2016_01_06_14.53.44.jpgWhat Android Apps Do You Use?2016_01_06_14.54.36.jpgWhat Android Apps Do You Use?2016_01_06_14.55.02.jpgWhat Android Apps Do You Use?

UpToDown Android app (italics mine):
The official application of Uptodown for Android operating systems. With this app, you can quickly access descriptions, screenshots, and of course, complete apps. In addition, it allows you to always have the latest updates and versions of every app.

Every Content. Limitless apps, betting apps, multimedia apps, and competitors from any sector or area.

Every Country. Completely free and global access without region restriction, like political or business limitations.

Every Device. You don’t need Google Play services, in fact you can download and install any app just from your browser.

Every User. No google registration required, no email, account, credit card or payments. Just you.

From the main interface of Uptodown Android, you can see the app of the day and all important news, including new apps and updates. Also, below the image of the app of the day, you can find a dropdown menu with direct access to all of the Android categories: video games, messenger apps, video players, office software… if you’re looking for any app, it is going to be here.

Because Uptodown stores more than a thousand different APKs, the app gives you the possibility to access both older versions of some apps and others that are not available on Google Play. This means that you have the option to install older (and possibly more stable) versions of practically any app. You just have to scroll down to the bottom of a file to see all of the versions available.

Thanks to this feature, Uptodown Android offers the possibility to do a ‘rollback’ of any app. For example, let’s say you updated Twitter to the latest version and you don’t like it. No problem. You simply download the previous version from its file in Uptodown and problem solved.

Uptodown Android is an interesting alternative to other application download services like Google Play because it not only lets you download thousands of different apps, but also older versions of the same apps. In addition, Uptodown displays ‘neutral screenshots’ instead of the traditional screenshots offered by many developers. Thanks to this, users always know what they’re downloading with just a glance.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2016, 10:53 PM »
UpToDown - A software repository for various OS' including Android, it has a lot of the apps you'll find in the Google Play Store with the added bonus of being able to get and install previous versions.

Wow. That's cool!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2016, 01:28 AM »
New phone again, Xiaomi Redmi Note 2, they're getting bigger  ;D

Anyway, a browser I've been using for a while: Frost

Has a password protected vault for your bookmarks and any saved images, unlocked by entering a pin/password as you would a web address, ie. if your pin is 1234 you just enter that as the web address in a tab, the vaults become unlocked and any previous session tabs can be restored.

When you exit, all history is removed and the vaults lock.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2016, 10:58 AM »

Has a password protected vault for your bookmarks and any saved images, unlocked by entering a pin/password as you would a web address, ie. if your pin is 1234 you just enter that as the web address in a tab, the vaults become unlocked and any previous session tabs can be restored.

According to Google Play, Frost was last updated in November 2014.  That's more than a year ago.  A very long time for a browser.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2016, 08:33 PM »

According to Google Play, Frost was last updated in November 2014.  That's more than a year ago.  A very long time for a browser.

All I wanted was a browser that displayed 98% of the websites, didn't leave your bookmarks on view, didn't require wading through a bucket load of options just to find the one that said "Clear on exit", and didn't require 30+MB of storage to do it in.

After looking at other privacy browsers I settled on Frost because it does it all in under 9MB.

Think of it as the bog-standard Android browser with privacy - plus it didn't cost me anything.