ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What Android Apps Do You Use?

<< < (22/49) > >>

xtabber:
Near the beginning of this thread, about 18 months ago, I listed a number of Android apps I used regularly. I still use most of those, but here are some that I use a lot now.

First, reading remains the most important activity on my Android tablets, and I have a number of e-readers. There are 3 that I use regularly, and Aldiko, which was my favorite at the time of my original post, is not one of them.  They are:

Mantano Reader Premium ($6.99). Hands down the best for reading most ePubs and pdf files. Great navigation makes it easy to find files and sections within books and documents.  The only negative is that it does not handle footnote hyperlinks very well.

Moon+ Reader Pro ($4.99) is nearly as capable, but very different and may take some getting used to. It is my reader of choice on a phone because it lets you scroll through text easily with one hand.

Nook Reader for Android. Not just for B&N purchases, this is a really good ePub reader. Very flexible with the most readable fonts of any Android reader.  Excellent hyperlink handling.

I use several file managers, including File Expert, which has an excellent built-in ftp server, among other things, but the one I use most is probably X-Plore, which works a lot like Windows Explorer, both locally and across a LAN, but with dual panes, making it exceptionally easy to copy files between Android and PCs.

DroidEdit Pro ($1.99) is a very capable programmer's text editor.  RealCalc (free) is a great calculator app, but the Pro version ($3.49) adds an amazing number of features, including RPN, base changes, custom conversions, fractions, etc.

Agenda Widget Plus ($1.88) keeps my schedule in a scrollable window on my home screen.  DTG GTD may still be in alpha, but it is already the best task manager I have found on any platform - I now use ToodleDo only to sync DTG GTD between my Android devices and am planning to try Bluestacks to put it on my PC as well. DTG GTD also has a great widget with many customization options.  Live customizable widgets are a major reason why Android has it all over iOS as a personal productivity platform, in my opinion.

Finally, while I don't really use any of my Android devices for entertainment (other than reading), Tunein Radio Pro ($0.99) is a great way to listen to any radio station that streams over the Internet.

Chessnia:
On my Galaxy SII:

- X-plore: Free file manager, better than most paid ones. It even takes care of zipped files, it has image + video viewer, etc. etc.
- Tweetcaster: if you use twitter, this is just outstanding. Has so many useful features... I love the multiple account management.
- Sundroid: I thought this was crap, but it's actually very useful! it tells you the exact time the sun sets and rises wherever you are, moon phases, etc. (the paid version has some really weird features also!)
- PicSay Pro: really simple to use photo effects editor. Lots of features. Just cool and easy.
- Meetup app for Android: if you do use meetup, it just works!
- EzPDF Reader (Reader + annotator!) Just awesome, better than any other pdf viewer. The annotating options are just amazin and simple.
Smart TaskSwitcher: I've tried them all, but this is the only one that did it for me. This is paid (really cheap though) and does a great job, I particularly love the mini (really mini!) icon displaying the remaining battery life with a 2 digit number.
Hi-Q MP3 recorder: simply brilliant. Voice to mp3 recorder, really easy to use, fast, reliable, good sound quality.
- Chrome for Android. The latest versions work incredibly well. (I do like Dolphin also, wouldn't use any of the other browsers out there though...)
- Train Crisis: out of several thousand games out there, this is the one I like the most. Outstanding HD graphix, it'll make you think, it'll test your ability with your fingers, it'll keep you interested for a long time!
- BeyondPod: if you´re serious about podcasts, you'll get this and not look back...
- Game-Clock Deluxe. Really useful if you're serious about two player time-controlled games such as chess, draughts, word games, etc. Give it a try!

More next time. ;)

TomD101:
I just inherited a Galaxy Ace from my son - yes, really.
It's my first smartphone and I have to learn from scratch.
First (and only) app I installed is
@Voice Aloud Reader.
Created by the guy who makes HyperSnap, this app reads all text aloud, that you put into the @Voice window or into a reading list. It uses the installed TTS engine - or more than one and works with many different voices from several languages.
I like it, as I have trouble reading all the stuff on the screen. So I have my emails, news and anything read to me.
Now my son has to show me how to use dropbox to go beyond tiny snippets that clog my memory card.
Thomas
Berlin

And if everything goes to plan, I will even learn how to really use that phone. My Nokia 3650 was never that complicated.

ewemoa:
Finally got CyanogenMod running :)

Here's an updated list of what I've been using these days:

Aldikoa reader - finally it can remember the zoom settings while navigatingaLogcatlogcat viewer - only useful up through Android 4.1?Barcode ScannerQR and other barcode readerCameraEBookDroidreader with support for PDF (and other formats), auto-crop, per-book settings, and lots moreES File Explorermulti-feature file explorerF-Droiddiscovering potential apps with source availableFile Expertnice for quick file-sharingFirefoxhas support for some add-ons and OpenSearchGalleryHacker's Keyboardhurray, arrow keys and friends!Kitchen TimerMX Playervideo playerOI ShoppingListfor managing various lists (not just shopping)Opera Mobilehelps for downloadingQuickdroida bit like QuickSilver and/or FARRSettingsTerminal EmulatorTubeMate

EBookDroid "almost" has this nice feature of being able to specify a page offset so that page numbers displayed by the app can be made to match better what the document displays.  Unfortunately, negative page offsets don't seem to work yet.

The attached patch appears to be working here so far.

4wd:
A couple I don't think have been mentioned already:

3G Watchdog - Watches your mobile data usage.
Brightest Flashlight - Turns on anything that produces white light on the phone, (mine doesn't have a flash so the screen goes to maximum brightness).
WD TV Remote - Remote control for your WD TV Live device - works well.
WoL Wake on LAN WAN - So I can wake my servers up from anywhere to access something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version