topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]  (Read 3671167 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]
« Reply #3725 on: November 02, 2014, 02:53 PM »
Heh okay after several days break, I'm having a few cocktails! So let's play in the Silly Thread!

The first couple will be inspired by Tom Scott / Computerphile.

Series: "Things you might not have known".

Linguistic Gender
https://www.youtube....Ac&v=46ehrFk-gLk

Favorite modified childhood memory:
In ordinary rooms (and I forget which had which) you had "male" nouns next to "female" nouns. Doors and walls, and stuff.

But all that was before the post-2000's accelerated push to LGBTQ rights!! Just think of the fun!

So your entire room is busy being NSFW!
;D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3726 on: November 02, 2014, 02:59 PM »

A brilliant parody of EULA's:
https://www.youtube..../watch?v=IFe9wiDfb0E

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3727 on: November 02, 2014, 03:22 PM »
Capitalism around the world.

a_1005_20141029125515[1].jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3728 on: November 02, 2014, 08:11 PM »
It doesn't have near the negative connotation that it does in American English.

We have a knack for turning normally vulgar insulting terms into endearments.  :)

B*gger and b*st*rd are another couple.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3729 on: November 03, 2014, 01:42 AM »
...B*gger and b*st*rd are another couple.
In NZ as well, mate.    ;)
Reminds me of the time I was driving my souped-up MGB Roadster back from the docks, having just picked it up from the wharf where it had landed after being freighted over from the UK. The car was misfiring as I drove it in 3rd gear at the foot of the very steep Kaurangahape Gorge (just outside Wellington). Figuring that the sparkplugs were a bit fouled up, I dropped it down a cog (2nd gear) and booted it, thinking that that should clear the problem (it usually would).
The engine was a small ally Buick 3.5L V8 design (made by Rover UK under license) with high compression heads and fed by a single twin-choke 40DCOE Weber carb (carefully jetted by yours truly). Being ally and a V8, the engine was lighter than the standard cast-iron block, 4-cyl 1,800cc engine that it replaced, and rode more amidships than the 4-cyl block. The latter made it roughly 50-50 weight distribution, and with approx 100bhp output and lighter weight, the original power-to-weight ratio was roughly doubled.
What this meant was that whenever the loud pedal was pressed, the car had an electrifying response. It shot up the long hill at over 100mph and when I finally got to the top I put it into top overdrive and let it idle back to the statutory speed limit. The engine wasn't misfiring anymore.
A minute or so later, an unmarked police car (a Ford GT Cortina) pulled me over.
Apparently I had overtaken it at great speed at the bottom of the hill, and the cop said he couldn't even begin to keep up with me and I was due for a speeding ticket.
I apologised, saying that I had not intentionally been breaking the speed limit, but just wanted to put the engine under load as it was misfiring on a couple of cylinders from sooty plugs.
"A couple of cylinders?!" the cop exclaimed, "But you've only got four in this engine!".
Recognising that he might know a bit about cars, I explained to him what the engine was. The car otherwise looked like a bog standard MGB Roadster - its suspension and other mods were not visible to the onlooker). No bumps in the bonnet or anything. The only inkling that it was different was a slightly larger diameter tailpipe and an inconspicuously small V8 badge on the front grille.
It turned out the cop was a motor enthusiast, and he asked me to lift the bonnet, and when I did so, he said "You sneaky bastard!", but I figured it was said appreciatively.
I got off without a ticket, and was given a verbal warning and told that now they knew what the car was, I wouldn't get off lightly if I was caught speeding.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3730 on: November 03, 2014, 06:53 AM »
Raisinets[/url] have been around forever.  No candy coating though (M & Ms).

The candy coating is important if you are away from refrigeration.

FWIW  email to Mars : "No chocolate covered raisins with a candy coating?  Like a Raisinet with a candy coating?  Would make a nice addtion to your chocolate line."

Their reply (7-days later) : "Thank you for your email.

Our Marketing Staff is continually working on new ideas. Although we cannot say what they are, we hope you will continue to watch and enjoy!

Have a great day!

Your Friends at Mars Chocolate North America

Case ID 40301178 "

-------------

Generic reply but who knows...   :)  Maybe we'll see Raisin-Ms some day.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3732 on: November 03, 2014, 10:15 AM »
And yes, the madness is just like your husband went through. To cap it all off, letting the cat out of the bag, I watched a live telecast of grandmaster chess commentary this morning, through all that stuff I mentioned earlier. To cap it all off, they told the commenting grandmaster the wrong start time! So he had to get up two hours too early for nothing, and was barely holding on with coffee! Meanwhile, I now had to add the "adjusted wrong start time" to my previously mentioned fun!

We don't have this kind of problem in Arizona.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3733 on: November 03, 2014, 01:11 PM »
...B*gger and b*st*rd are another couple.
In NZ as well, mate.    ;)
Reminds me of the time I was driving my souped-up MGB Roadster back from the docks, having just picked it up from the wharf where it had landed after being freighted over from the UK. The car was misfiring as I drove it in 3rd gear at the foot of the very steep Kaurangahape Gorge (just outside Wellington). Figuring that the sparkplugs were a bit fouled up, I dropped it down a cog (2nd gear) and booted it, thinking that that should clear the problem (it usually would).
The engine was a small ally Buick 3.5L V8 design (made by Rover UK under license) with high compression heads and fed by a single twin-choke 40DCOE Weber carb (carefully jetted by yours truly). Being ally and a V8, the engine was lighter than the standard cast-iron block, 4-cyl 1,800cc engine that it replaced, and rode more amidships than the 4-cyl block. The latter made it roughly 50-50 weight distribution, and with approx 100bhp output and lighter weight, the original power-to-weight ratio was roughly doubled.
What this meant was that whenever the loud pedal was pressed, the car had an electrifying response. It shot up the long hill at over 100mph and when I finally got to the top I put it into top overdrive and let it idle back to the statutory speed limit. The engine wasn't misfiring anymore.
A minute or so later, an unmarked police car (a Ford GT Cortina) pulled me over.
Apparently I had overtaken it at great speed at the bottom of the hill, and the cop said he couldn't even begin to keep up with me and I was due for a speeding ticket.
I apologised, saying that I had not intentionally been breaking the speed limit, but just wanted to put the engine under load as it was misfiring on a couple of cylinders from sooty plugs.
"A couple of cylinders?!" the cop exclaimed, "But you've only got four in this engine!".
Recognising that he might know a bit about cars, I explained to him what the engine was. The car otherwise looked like a bog standard MGB Roadster - its suspension and other mods were not visible to the onlooker). No bumps in the bonnet or anything. The only inkling that it was different was a slightly larger diameter tailpipe and an inconspicuously small V8 badge on the front grille.
It turned out the cop was a motor enthusiast, and he asked me to lift the bonnet, and when I did so, he said "You sneaky bastard!", but I figured it was said appreciatively.
I got off without a ticket, and was given a verbal warning and told that now they knew what the car was, I wouldn't get off lightly if I was caught speeding.

Hay, now that's a cool story.. :Thmbsup: Here in the states we would call that a sleeper - It doesn't look like much, until the light turns green...and then it's too late. I'm a huge fan of Sleepers. ;)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3734 on: November 03, 2014, 08:40 PM »
^^ A friend of mine had a gearhead father who frankensteined a Wankel Rotary into a '65 VW Beetle.  Talk about insane power-to-weight ratio...

He doesn't have it anymore.  360'd around a turn on a mountain road and almost went over, except for the large rock that simultaneously stopped his descent and wiped out the rear 1/4 of the car.  Too bad...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3735 on: November 04, 2014, 12:57 AM »
Hay, now that's a cool story.. :Thmbsup: Here in the states we would call that a sleeper - It doesn't look like much, until the light turns green...and then it's too late. I'm a huge fan of Sleepers. ;)
"Sleeper"? I'd not heard that term before. Yes, in UK it's called a "Q-car". Here it is:

A bit dusty in the garage:               Polished up for sale in the showroom:

2009-04-18 at Wilton  03 - MG V8 Costello (clip rear).pngsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]                           2010-06 MGB Costello V8 car in showroom.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

It was great fun. I was once driving the MG in light traffic in the 2nd lane on a motorway, from Stansted into London, and I saw a Porsche moving rapidly up in the overtaking (3rd) lane behind me. I waited for it to pass me and then pulled out and followed. It was a 911S driven by a bloke. He was clocking about 100mph. As I closed the distance he must have noticed, and, as I had expected he accelerated. We got up to speeds of 130/140mph when we could, as he tried to lose me, but couldn't. The Costello (that's the correct name of the V8 conversion I was driving, named after the engineer who designed/installed it) was pretty much flat out in top overdrive at that speed, and I guess the Porsche was too 'cause he couldn't widen the gap even when we had the road to do it in.
Eventually we came into heavier traffic and had to slow down. At one point, I pulled up on his left at a traffic lights, and he wound down his passenger side window. My window was open  and I called out "Nice drive! Thanks!" and he asked "Have you had the engine modified?" and I replied, "No! Just richer needle jets in the standard twin SU carbs!" (Well, it was a daft question, wasn't it?)
The lights turned green at that point and we moved on. I liked to imagine him taking his Porsche back to the dealer and complaining indignantly to them that there must be something wrong with his car because he couldn't blow off a cruddy MGB Roadster with rich SU jets.  
I recall that trip knocked at least 50% off my usual drive time for that route. I was buzzing with adrenalin for an hour or so afterwards.  

(Sorry for boring the pants off non-petrol-heads with all this irrelevant chitchat.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 01:32 AM by IainB, Reason: Added photos. »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3736 on: November 04, 2014, 01:06 AM »
^^ A friend of mine had a gearhead father who frankensteined a Wankel Rotary into a '65 VW Beetle.  Talk about insane power-to-weight ratio...

He doesn't have it anymore.  360'd around a turn on a mountain road and almost went over, except for the large rock that simultaneously stopped his descent and wiped out the rear 1/4 of the car.  Too bad...
In a Beetle? Sounds like a seriously good conversion. The Wankels were superb engines. A mate of mine in the UK had an old Audi station wagon with 5 cyls whose engine blew up, so he replaced it with a much cheaper rebuilt Wankel rotary engine. It was a very smooth car to drive, well balanced and pretty quick. Much better than the original.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3737 on: November 04, 2014, 01:31 AM »
Is anyone else having a hard time imagining IainB as a demon driver?  :-[
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3738 on: November 04, 2014, 02:34 AM »

Yeah, verily  :P :-* :P.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3739 on: November 04, 2014, 02:53 AM »

When I was a child, I witnessed my father turn into a demon driver. His eyes got big, he had this scary clenched jaw smile, his shoulders went up, and his head jutted forward, as he turned his head towards my stepmother in the passenger seat and shouted out in the creepiest voice I have ever heard, "I've got the right of way! The road's all mine!"

After witnessing that I will believe anyone can turn into a demon driver.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3740 on: November 04, 2014, 06:57 AM »
(In Iain's defense) Only the fools that end up as statistics drive wild-eyed and maniacal at speed. Those of us that truly enjoy the experience are completely calm, and even a bit Zen when entering the zone. Driving angry is dangerous (much like fighting angry is) ... Driving fast OTOH, simply takes skill, a bit more concentration...and a lot less time..

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3741 on: November 04, 2014, 08:55 AM »
^^ I was watching some old cartoons in the Wayback Archive with my 4 y/o boy yesterday, and one was called Wind in The Willows, and it showed how the character Toad, on seeing a car for the first time, became completely obsessed with them and his eyes went glassy and developed colourful whorls inside them - like he was mesmerised.
I recall seeing another old cartoon recently, about Disney's "Goofy" character. When he climbed into his car he transformed into something evil and sprouted horns on his head, etc., and an alter ego took over. It was quite true-to-life!    ;)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3742 on: November 04, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Oh yes, I remember those well. And while both were depicted as a bit whacky there were subtle distinctions between the two. Toad was enthralled with speed, and was driven to go fast within the confines of what he perceived his skills to be. While Goofy was the poster child for road rage, and frequently made rash, jerky and dangerous maneuvers. Both were depicted as "mad"...but only one was truly dangerous.

So while your stories spoke to me as Toad, the characterization was being spun more towards Goofy ... Which I felt was unfair.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3743 on: November 04, 2014, 07:59 PM »

In a Beetle? Sounds like a seriously good conversion. The Wankels were superb engines. A mate of mine in the UK had an old Audi station wagon with 5 cyls whose engine blew up, so he replaced it with a much cheaper rebuilt Wankel rotary engine. It was a very smooth car to drive, well balanced and pretty quick. Much better than the original.

Look it up on YouTube, there are plenty of Wankel/VW conversions showcasing how insane they are.  :o

(In Iain's defense) Only the fools that end up as statistics drive wild-eyed and maniacal at speed. Those of us that truly enjoy the experience are completely calm, and even a bit Zen when entering the zone. Driving angry is dangerous (much like fighting angry is) ... Driving fast OTOH, simply takes skill, a bit more concentration...and a lot less time..

I never really considered myself a great driver, but living here in the great northwest has taught me the fine art of driving speed limit in the rain, just trying to make it to work on time.
Know your limits, yours AND the car's.  Expect the unexpected ALWAYS.  Don't just 'feel' the road, taste it (every one has a flavor).
VERY zen.  8)

Wish I had some silly humor to bring this thread back to topic, but I'm fresh out.  :-[

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3744 on: November 04, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Wish I had some silly humor to bring this thread back to topic, but I'm fresh out.  :-[

Here, let me help.  :D

css.gif

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3745 on: November 04, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Whoops! That wasn't the "demon" that I meant. I didn't mean to imply anger - merely speed.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3746 on: November 04, 2014, 09:18 PM »
I just saw the news story that the Internet Archive and some other people just released a browser based "Internet Arcade" of old classic games. Leaving aside the copyright licensing / abandonware stuff, the intersection is reminding me of parts of that "thorn in my head", Ludum Dare. Aka brilliant hacks to ultra max what was often then-next-gen hardware because they could afford it for the console, vs that 2-3 day limit in the LD compos.

http://games.slashdo...games-in-the-browser
https://archive.org/...tails/internetarcade
http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/4419

Those are just raw link posts - I have barely looked at this yet.

I just wanted to chime in for the Silly thread that people over in Slashdot were talking about "Jump the Shark" moments... but wouldn't that be a funny little LD game? You have to control a Fonzie and jump sharks! With lasers! And stuff.

:Thmbsup:

Then again, at 2500 entries per edition of LD, I bet someone already did!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 09:52 PM by TaoPhoenix »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3747 on: November 04, 2014, 10:17 PM »
I just saw the news story that the Internet Archive and some other people just released a browser based "Internet Arcade" of old classic games.  Leaving aside the copyright licensing / abandonware stuff,

But that's the big question here.  HOW did they get license to so many of these?  I mean, it doesn't just play in the browser, you can download the ROM!  Last I checked, it was *ahem* technically illegal to own a ROM except under certain conditions.  I mean, are they just throwing it up there in hopes that MOST of them stick?  Or is this a short-lived experiment in "let's take bets as to how long it'll take before the first DMCA takedown notice gets delivered"?

Either way: So... many... games...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:23 PM by Edvard »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Internet Arcade
« Reply #3748 on: November 04, 2014, 11:33 PM »
I just saw the news story that the Internet Archive and some other people just released a browser based "Internet Arcade" of old classic games.  Leaving aside the copyright licensing / abandonware stuff,

But that's the big question here.  HOW did they get license to so many of these?  I mean, it doesn't just play in the browser, you can download the ROM!  Last I checked, it was *ahem* technically illegal to own a ROM except under certain conditions.  I mean, are they just throwing it up there in hopes that MOST of them stick?  Or is this a short-lived experiment in "let's take bets as to how long it'll take before the first DMCA takedown notice gets delivered"?

Either way: So... many... games...

Well, trying not to cut myself shaving with Occam's razor, here's a collation a few of the theories floating from the Slashdot thread mixed with my own:

1. It's hosted by the Internet Archive, and not just any ol' Pop & Son outfit who can be scared with a couple of nasty letters. So let's say a big X % of these games are not under license, but through a few corporate layers, there's enough money behind archive.org that other revenue they generate more than outweighs "abuses" like this. For part of this theory, someone pointed out that computer games are much different than most other forms of copyrighted works - classic songs and TV and movies can retain their basic value for a very long time. But with the march of time, nostalgia aside, no one would play these games except for novelty value.

2. Another idea is some kind of "copyright insurance" - suppose they get a silent insurer to switch the burden of copyright chain onto the final record holders rather than themselves. Think of it as a kind of big poker bluff: "Okay, let's just grant the silly notion that a copyrighted work is $300,000 each. But think of the insane prices lawyers charge. Do you *really* want to try to figure out whatever became of Tago Electronics to win your settlement for the game Anteater? After you get done cheering at happy hour, what have you accomplished? Fine. Take one down, pass it around, 899 games left on the wall."

3. Maybe they somehow used their big money to do some kind of massive bulk purchase saying, "Okay, with a clause that covers subsequent rights owners and flow through, most of these games came from the same twelve companies. So, here's a big chunk of money, because our petty cash numbers in six figures. So can we have these games now?"

The unifying theme is that unlike a Pop & Son team hoping to skate under the radar, archive.org shouldn't be able to just announce a colossal sonic cannon shot like this, looking like it risks copyright armageddon, without some kind of awesome hidden cards in their hand. I just don't know what those are.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3749 on: November 05, 2014, 11:01 AM »
That CSS/Family Guy animation posted above by @app103 certainly seems very apt. Made me smile anyway.