topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1020685 times)

Conatus

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello all! I'm Dennis from California. I don't work in the computer field but have been using them for a very long time. Was an electronics tech in the military and built my own Heathkit H8. LOL anyone heard of that.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
welcome to the site Conatus! (set an avatar image when you get a chance),

i remember the heatkit robots - i used to dream of having one :)
http://www.robotswan...botgallery/heathkit/

herojrad2thumb.jpg

noth(a)nk.you

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • More than meets the eye.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been waiting for a nice day to post in this thread.  :)

I'm a student way up here in Fairbanks, AK; working towards B.S.'s in Elect. Engr. and Math.  I spend far too much of my time surfing the internet (who doesn't?).

I was lucky enough to choose a dorm room facing south, which on days like today gives me a glorious view of the mountains.  Here are some photos I snapped from my window this evening (linked to better, but bigger, versions).

Looking to the SE, S, and SW (sorry for the formatting here):
Pan1.JPG
OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?
Pan2.JPG
Pan3.JPG

And that little bump off to the right (see high-res) is none other than the famous Mt. McKinley.
McK.JPG
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 11:56 PM by noth(a)nk.you »

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My name is Lew. I live in White Plains, NY.  I got started in computers when the company I worked for  ( Retail Toy Stores ) computerized with a Texas Instrument 990  in 1978. The sucker was huge,. Needed it's own room and A/C.  Total of 64 K ram. TI Basic.
In 1996 a started on a new job. Wow  12" Orange screen moniotrs and DOS 5.0.  Well now it's
2006 and at least I got them to move up to 17" color screens but were still using DOS 5.0 on the server.  At least I have a desktop with XP.

This is a terrific site.

Lew
Lew

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Small world it is but Canada a big country I live in Alberta about 4000kms west of Toronto.
Bebington was my home town.  But we left there when I was 5 so I remember only the bits that I've seen since then.  Not been back to UK for over ten years now.

This is very unlikely, but maybe it is a small world after all. What part of Alberta are you living in and how long have you been there? I became friends with a young lady who was from somewhere in southern Alberta--I can't remember the name of it without looking at a map--we lost contact years ago and I've been trying to look her up. She went to college in Lethbridge in the past few years and either lived there originally or some town relatively nearby. Anyway, her name is Kristi Derricott. Know any Derricotts?

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Isn't kd lang from Alberta?

Jeff

Tricia

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My name is Tricia and I'm a PC addict - I like trying new apps,
and I run my own freeware & chat forum. I came across this forum, quite by
accident and I liked the look of it. I have made a donation, and
will drop in when I can. It's so nice to meet you all.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Sure is.  And a Leonard Cohen fan, to boot :) KD is great.

Welcome, Tricia!

nigelfraser

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone, 44 British and I moved to Goa India  a little over 2 years ago. Currently I am learning to analyze HJT logs in an attempt to fight the scumbags.  Oh how I miss the rolling hills of Blighty!  8)

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
kd and Roy Orbison singing Crying.  IMHO the finest example of popular singing of the last 20 years.

Sure is.  And a Leonard Cohen fan, to boot :) KD is great.

Welcome, Tricia!

epopuI

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is very unlikely, but maybe it is a small world after all. What part of Alberta are you living in and how long have you been there? I became friends with a young lady who was from somewhere in southern Alberta--I can't remember the name of it without looking at a map--we lost contact years ago and I've been trying to look her up. She went to college in Lethbridge in the past few years and either lived there originally or some town relatively nearby. Anyway, her name is Kristi Derricott. Know any Derricotts?

No sorry I don't - I am in Edmonton been here 19 years. I have been to Lethbridge but didn't meet anyone outside of the schools I was visiting. ;)

Smirf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • SMIRF -> OCTOPUS Chess Project
    • Donate to Member
Well, my name is Reinhard, I am from Munich, Germany, and I started my fight "man vs. machine" in my very early days.

SmirfSmallBoy.png

I hope, for 10x8 chess to become more popular some day, and my multivariant program SMIRF to play it well then.

Reinhard.

JohnnyBee

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi y'all; Johnny Bramham from Solihull, West Midlands, UK chipping in with my four pennyworth.
Now 58, I've been married 34 years, have four kids and three grandkids. 
I started off in the Royal Navy as a junior and left as a P.O eight years later.
I've been a motor mechanic in the trade ever since, working on construction plant, HGV's and cars .
Forced into having to use a PC to make my life easier in my part-time job as a local Councillor, I now refurb older PC's for re-use by disadvantaged kids in my area and generally try to get a better understanding of how they work and making them better.
I built this rig myself, only an XP athlon 2700, but it works well enough so I'm going for a dual Xeon system next with bits bought from eBay.
I'm looking forward now to getting to know more about the programming and software side of things.
Best of British to all of you!
JB.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to the DCcomunity, JohnnyBee!
I trust you'll like it ;)

I'm looking forward now to getting to know more about the programming and software side of things.

Then, you should check the Programming school!!

101andresfc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 ;D estoy muy contento de hacer todos estos pasos para obtener la llave....los felicito sigan adelante....yo donare dinero mas adelante cuando pruebe este sofware.

¡pronto nos vemos, adios!

Tony Dodd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My name is Brett (Tony is my online persona). I have a couple years college and I work in maintenance...go figure! I love this site and I hope others will join as this can be (and is) something great. I live in Alberta Canada and hope to start some kind of online business.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, my name is Marcos and I'm from Spain. I'm 22 years old and I'm studying Computer Engineering. Not working in anything, though I help my parents from time to time working in the fields. I love tinkering with the PC, although the thing I like most in this world is music (my parents wouldn't believe this, as they always complain about the time spent with the PC). Recently discovered the site, and I think this is really a neat idea, sitting in the middle grounds between shareware and freeware. I wish for the site a lot of success!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 05:52 AM by Lashiec »

Tony Dodd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome Lashiec! This is a great site with some excellent software to try out.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Tony and Lashiec, welcome both of you to the site ; please make yourself at home

martyjn

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Internet Games
    • Donate to Member
Hey everyone my name is martin i am from australia i am the single father of three kids the oldes being 6 soon.I have a 3 year degree (took me 4 years) in IT but was unable to talk my way into an it job.I spend most of my time with the kids and some of my spare time programming .I started programming when i was about 11 in basic on a commodore 64.More recently i am working on a set of winsock programs to play games chess,checkers,reversi etc over the internet or any TCP/IP network that i hope to enter in the Borland coder competition and it was the competition that caught my interest in this sight and this concept.
marty

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome Martin and other new members.  I note you are from Australia, Martin.  I live in Kingaroy Queensland.  Where do you live?

Jeff

bokus70

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everybody, I am the new guy around. I come from Serbia (southeastern Europe) , 36, working as a network admin in a bank. Have been working with computers since my early teens. This means: ZX81 -> ZX Spectrum -> XT -> AT -> 386 -> ... you can guess how it goes further... :)

Fortunately I have many other interests as well. Sports (motorracing, volelyball, basketball, soccer, skiing...), music, science, history, movies... you name it I got it. ;)

Married, two daughters (1 and 5 years old).

So, this site and the concept around it is cleverly designed. I hope it will survive all the challenges that the internet is bringing, and last for a long time.

Good luck to all

AlphaWolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Everyone,
Just joined and donated. What a great site! My name is Jason, but I am better known as "Wolf". I am a professional poker player and am about to launch a new business (hopefully this next week) that I think is going to be amazingly successful. I was looking on a search engine for an email client that would let me customize the appearance of individual mail folders, and I ended up here, writing this 45 min later.

I live in Las Vegas, but travel alot. When I am home, I spend as much time as I possibley can at a wolf sanctuary about 3 hrs away. I volunteer there, give tours and teach people about wolves. This wonderful pack of has adopted me as their hairless wolf brother. When there are no tours, I nap with them and they bring me meat when they think I am hungry. Seriously! LOL Anyway, go check out my buddies at wolfmountain.com. (registered none-profit organization)

OK, have to go check out more of this site. Hope to meet some of you along the way...
Have a great night everyone!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When there are no tours, I nap with them and they bring me meat when they think I am hungry.
that is amazing..

AlphaWolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It truly is and I am very grateful and blessed to be in their pack.  I have bottle fed several of them, and those wolves look up to me as an elder, while I am repectfully reminded of my place by the wolves higher up the chain than me.

If you are ever in the Vegas/So Cal area, let me know. This is the only wolf sanctuary in the country where you actually get to go in and interact with some of the wolves.

Here is a pic of me howling with the alpha male of the pack. We were all howling one time and he came over to howl with me. It was quite an honor and this is one of my favorite pics.