topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1020758 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi Graham :) and saintsatinstain

@saintsatinstain, enjoyed your poem(s)
what's the latin ? -
I got an interesting (multilingual) translation from translation-guide.com
looks/reads accidentally a bit poetic too
Quae bibit,
to be dreaming;
quae to be dreaming,
not sin; quae not sin,
holy is;
on account of quae bibit holy is.
-
PS there's a bit of a haiku thing going on here sometimes - search if you're interested
Tom

saintsatinstain

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Qui bibit, dormit; qui dormit, non peccat; qui non peccat, sanctus est; ergo qui bibit sanctus est.

Whoever drinks, sleeps; whoever sleeps, doesn't sin; whoever doesn't sin is a saint; therefore the one who drinks is a saint.

I am a poet, been one for 57 years. Born in Scottsboro, Alabama, but lived in and out of NYC for about 40 odd years. And they were odd years. I didn't finish high school; I didn't finish undergrad school; I didn't finish grad school either.  I have taught elementary, middle, and high school, taught undergrad and grad school too. I have taught students privately. I am a poet and a prosodist. I work parttime for a small private intelligence and security company. I am selftaught along with the help of online forums, books, and asking about computers, security, and internet. About some things I may appear expert and other things a complete ignoramus, bizarre gaps in my education.  I have four books, one anthology. The last book, short history of the saxophone, came out last year. My pa was a mathematician, my sister is one, and so too my daughter. My daughter has just had two grandgals for me. (note the compleat selfdom, which he in 3rd personage resorts to 14th century variant of complete. And he minimizes the role that his daughter, her consort, and the grandma - oh, don't forget the holy one - had in this birth. He thinks, I am the grandpa.).

I am a member of the the Freeware Forum, where I heard about this place. They, mainly coathanger, are responsible for this here cursed with my presence virtually. I was taken by some of the software hereabouts, free. I like free, good free. I can afford free. I live in a house in north alabama, still have an apartment in nyc. With a roommate i can barely afford it, along with an active broadband acct there - and here. I have a Windows XP Pro and OS X network here and there; I use the  Macs, along with turntable, cd and tape players, and tuners, as music system. Windows as work horses. My main transport is bicycle,here and there. I mix high and low tech. I have eclectic tastes in music, books, everything. My lady is a pediatrician; she has a son and daughter from a previous marriage. I have a son and daughter. Her son is an e.m.s. and daughter an m.d.; my son manages a business, daughter an engineer with an aerospace company.

I drink knob creek, booker's, guiness stout, and pilsner, but no more than a shot, or bottle of beer in a day. Sometimes we split a beer. I am a grandpa to two grandgals, the last is the more important.

My lady and I split our time between WA state, alabama, and greenwich village. I am nosey, hunger for larning, so feed me.
saint satin stain
Qui bibit, dormit; qui dormit, non peccat; qui non peccat, sanctus est; ergo qui bibit sanctus est.

You cannot save people, you can only love them.
       The Diary Of Anais Nin, Volume Two (1934-1939)

skybright

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a strong desire to become active in the forums here. I have decided to share a little about myself. I am a very private person but, will share as much as possible.

I worked various jobs, nothing very exciting to talk about. I started writing poetry as a teenager and is my passion. I hope someday to publish them. Maybe a book as well some day as I love to write.

I came from the midwest but, spent most of my life living between New York City and Orange County, California.  I finally came to reside back in the midwest.

I have two beautiful daughters. My oldest has given me four wonderful grandchildren whom I adore. Next week I leave to take over for her as she gives birth to Stormy Sky; whom I already love and can't wait to hold.

I have gone to college off and on in my adult years but, alas life always got in the way so I never got my degree.  But I was able to realize my dream of becoming a liscensed minister. Not to have a church but, to help people that God sends my way. My faith is the biggest part of my life.

Four years ago I became disabled. I don't go out much. So my computer is my way of getting out of the house.  I am an avid news reader as well as doing research. Curious Minds Want To Know...

I spend most of the day on my computer and love pimping out my gui so it looks good.  I know enough about computers to be dangerous. I like trying out new software of the free variety. It's like a hobby so to speak. Once in awhile I find something I can use.

I found my way here thru Gizmo's Tech Alert Newsletter which I subscribe to and he mentioned your sight.  I liked what I saw and decided to become a member. But I really have to admit that I have felt like a duck out of water so to speak. I really don't know how to fit in here as I am not a coder or a geek nor computer savvy. I learn alot here as I do enjoy learning new things.  I find myself coming here more often and, I believe I will find my place here.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I really have to admit that I have felt like a duck out of water so to speak. I really don't know how to fit in here as I am not a coder or a geek nor computer savvy. I learn alot here as I do enjoy learning new things.

Hi there,

It's my impression that the community here is as welcoming to 'learners' as it is to 'teachers' so your learning stuff is helping to fulfil the purpose of the site. For myself, I just wander around, sticking my nose in uninvited and (so far) nobody has asked me to leave.

Enjoy!

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Biox, the first dress on your businesses homepage is stunning! Your wife is very talented.
Yeah she is. I would like to put a few more pix up but would have to get the permission from the customers first. I don't like those headless pix and there will be a little description under the pix in the future. But that isn't the most important thing at the moment. The wife's been sleeping in the shop for the last 4 month cos of too much work and I need to learn more about all this stuff cos the wife can't speak English but most of our customers are westerners.

You know, the old dog new tricks thing. :huh:
Almost a year and nothing done to the website. The wife's got too much work already. I'm afraid if I really did something and get it up in the rankings I'd be sitting alone at home for rest of my life. :-\

electronixtar

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone, I am from Chengdu China, New to dc, love to try new & cool programs. Willing to contribute code in js & python  ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone, I am from Chengdu China, New to dc, love to try new & cool programs. Willing to contribute code in js & python  ;D
-electronixtar (May 26, 2008, 11:40 PM)

Welcome to DC, electronixtar

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone, I am from Chengdu China

Welcome!

You live on "shaky ground", electronixtar... how's the mood down there?

electronixtar

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone, I am from Chengdu China

Welcome!

You live on "shaky ground", electronixtar... how's the mood down there?
Thank you.

The ground ROCKS now and then!  ;D There are minor aftershocks but ppl here are getting used to it now.

Lucky no injuries in my campus since 5.12

It's the 3rd earthquake I've ever experienced
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 12:18 AM by electronixtar »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to the site electronixtar!

ps.from your signature and coding ability, i wonder if you might be the perfect person to try making a Twitter plugin for FARR, as requested here.

electronixtar

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to the site electronixtar!

ps.from your signature and coding ability, i wonder if you might be the perfect person to try making a Twitter plugin for FARR, as requested here.

OK I'll try :-)

Love tweeting...

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • freestyle (nunchaku) forum.net
    • Donate to Member
Hello! I am from Philippines. I was first into paranormal activities and did alot of ghost contacts and practice @ mt. banahaw mountain. some sports I got addicted is skateboarding, Knife Throwing, and now Freestyle nunchaku(http://freestyleforum.net) which I had innovated. I have been playing with AutoIt scripting last-last year. Made some 2D and 3D games using game engine's scripts. CSS, javascripts, Flash and Htmls.. alot of Php and MySql(http://bico.mcjimlether.com/store), Ajax. I love Pocket PCs and Tech Gadgets. I know alot of Mathematics. I graduated in Industrial Engineeer whose now into ERP(Clipper, FoxPro, MSsql, major is Business Process optimizing). I hate vb .net and i do like power builder apps. Did make many robotics implementation in production areas.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:08 AM by psionics »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi psionics, nice to see you posting here.

Let's try to keep the trend going and keep this thread alive -- anyone reading this who hasn't posted yet, tell us a bit about yourself.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi psionics, nice to see you posting here.

Let's try to keep the trend going and keep this thread alive -- anyone reading this who hasn't posted yet, tell us a bit about yourself.

Welcome to DC, psionics! I agree with mouser - this *should* be the longest thread on the forum... but it's not even close! Hope to hear from others soon  :Thmbsup:

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • My open-source online piano game
    • Donate to Member
So a little about me :)
my name is Oldřich Švec and I come from the Czech Republic. I study at CTU (Czech Technical University) and I focus on analysis of timber structures. Soon I am about to finish my bachalor degree, then I will continue with master degree in advanced design of structures using computers (matlab etc) and probably will also continue with Phd study (still thinking about it).

My hobbies are my girlfriend :-* sport (tennis,cycling,swimming etc) and ofcourse computers.

Mostly I like stuff about net (web 2.0) and coding of net applications (javascript, php, css etc) as you have probably noticed ;). But I must say that I used to code in php only and the first larger touch of javascript was made here by coding JS plugins. So it is prove that JS is very simple to learn and a great tool for creating plugins  :Thmbsup: And if I now compare php and javascript from point of view of coder comfort javascript definitely wins.

BTW: is there any kind of geographic map active, as it formely was?
see https://www.donation...some_geographic.html
My open-source online piano game: https://github.com/musicope/game
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 02:33 PM by czechboy »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi czechboy :)
yes, we can see your main hobby on your avatar  :P

BTW: is there any kind of geographic map active, as it formely was?
see https://www.donation...some_geographic.html
was that the frapper map? -
I get a 404 on that link, but the frapper map never worked for me anyways..
It would be nice to see a (more successful) map - anyone any ideas?
Tom

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • My open-source online piano game
    • Donate to Member
I do not know what frapper map is but I thought it was something where people could show where they live. Probably google maps API could be used for something similar nowadays ;)
My open-source online piano game: https://github.com/musicope/game

xxdeadmemoryxx

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello. I just joined :) My name is Kristen. I work in back of a vet, cleaning animal cages. But trying to find a new job. I also am a Certified massage therapist in PA. :Thmbsup: I am from Pennsylvannia. I want to eventually move up to the mountains!  :-*

drinkingvinegar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone!

I'm drinkingvinegar,  8) new member that only fell into the forum, because of the drinkingvinegar thread! I thought I would share my knowledge of drinking vinegars with you all.

I'm British, although i left the UK over 40 years ago, just blowing with the wind, lived in Germany, Greece, Denmark for 23 years, then on to China, Taiwan and the last 4 years in Singapore often returning to Europe.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
welcome to the site kristen and dv :)

and of course Oldřich, the farr plugin master  :Thmbsup:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi all,

Shades is the nick...Gerold Manders is my non-electronic name.
My origins: born and lived in Holland for 32 years and gladly escaped to South America for 3 years now (already). No real programming skill, but I have my way around computers since I first touched one (Commodore64) ;)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Gerold!

What are the best advantages of life in SA?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Okay, here is my list:
  • Paraguay has a very nice climate (a winter's day in PGY can be a summer's day in Holland).
  • In general, the people are more relaxed about life.
  • Life is a whole lot cheaper (even after the 'gringo' tax).
  • The quality (and abundance) of water, even though the country is 'land-locked'.
  • Regarding laws and regulations: Paraguay has the laws, but its enforcers do not use them to 'choke' citizens (like in Europe).
  • A sense that this part of the America's really can thrive on it's own, more and more trade treaties are made between PGY, ARG, BRA, PER, VEN, etc.
  • The dancing women at carnival (they would 'wake' even dead men  ;) ).
  • During the rest of the year the women here take really good care about how they look (in any age range)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I hope you have a spare room, I'm packing as I write...

Sugar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I signed up yesterday for Social Security and will be 62 in September.  I do no coding unless it's in a webpage :).   I love this site and have donated each year I've been here so I suppose next month will be donation month?

I'm in WV on the top of a mountain.   I moved here because my husband is from here and I found out I had oral cancer.  Oral cancer and the miners in WV have more than a nodding acquaintance, so I chose a doctor here and we moved.   So far I'm doing GREAT.  I expect to see GREATER  :)

At any rate, I browse a lot, rarely post and enjoy life shooting things.  (pictures haha)

Glad to see all of you and a big hug to Mouser.

Sug
Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.....

Sugar