topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 3:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2020 Wrap-up  (Read 16115 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2020 Wrap-up
« on: January 01, 2020, 04:18 PM »
Since 2007 we have held an annual event that we call NANY (New Apps for the New Year), where we ask the coders who hang out on DonationCoder to create some new piece of free software and share it with the world on January 1st of the new year.

NANY is one of the most fun things we do on this site, and it's one of the few times we can all play together.  There are no winners or losers, it's simply a celebration of programming and creating new software and sharing it with the world.  You can target any operating system (desktop or mobile) or even make a web-based tool.  It can be a game, utility, large application, whatever.  DC takes makes no claim on your software, it's just an event to encourage you to share a creation with others.  Best of all, everyone who participates gets a free commemorative coffee mug.

Thank you everyone who participated for a wonderful event!!! We had some really interesting entries this year.  Some of the entries are polished professional caliber apps, and many are just hobby creations not quite ready for public use.  Read on for the full list..

Mousers Media Browser v2 by mouser
There are lots of utilities for browsing collections of images/photos.  Mouser's Media Browser is one such tool, but one with a very unique and cool feature.  In addition to browsing the recursive contents of directories, MMB scans your files and creates a virtual date hierarchy, organized by year, date, and optionally day of the month.  This lets you scan a huge collection of photos and easily explore them by date.  MMB is very flexible in how the images are displayed, and comes with some very easy to use filters based on filename patterns and file ages.  Watch the video for a look at how it works..
NANY_mmb.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up
Youtube video: https://youtu.be/eOkTmL8aSAg

DiscussionList (Android App) by mouser
DiscussionList is an android app that allows you to manage and contemplate a large collection of questions to inspire meaningful discussions.  I use it with my wife when we go on walks, to spur conversation and have meaningful discussions.  It comes with a large collection of questions, but you can add your own and download additional sets.  View questions in a distraction-free interface or widget.  Watch the video for a look at how it works..
NANY_dlist.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up
Youtube video: https://youtu.be/QmCkyeEghnc

ISMONISM - search Start Menu (or any folder) for 'missing' entries by Winkie
This is a super-clever little utility, which can scan a set of user-configurable folders, looking for executables that do not have an entry in your Windows Start Menu.  It has features to search the web for discovered executables, or even create new shortcuts to them in your own Start Menu sub-folder.  This utility can be extremely useful for creating start menu entries for portable files, for discovering orphaned programs left after an uninstall, or just exploring and discovering unexpected executables that are part of some installation.  Very very cool.
NANY_isonism.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

Systemus by BGM
The author, BGM, describes Systemus as follows: "I wrote this program because I often have to set up computers for other people, or I have to do maintenance or fixes.  It seems I always end up using a whole bunch of programs to do things - a folder full of tools, and I can't remember or find the ones I want, sometimes.  With Systemus, I have a single program that I can use as a launcher.  It also tells me the most basic system information that I want, such as ipaddress and mac address, Windows version and what model of computer I'm working on."
NANY_Systemus.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

Filtration: A Task Manager by camerb
A program which can be used to monitor processes and tasks to see what might be bogging down your system, with some clever filtering abilities. Breaks down the HDD/SSD utilization into four categories: Read/Write, and Operation Count as well as an amount of data Tranferred (Transfer Count). This can help you get a quick understanding of whether or not the pesky culprit process is making lots of little read/write operations, or if the culprit is making one or two large transfers that involve large files.
NANY_filtration-task-mgr-screenshot.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

KeepWatch system monitor by mat2016
KeepWatch displays standard statistics: CPU Busy %, CPU Processes, RAM, Swap Memory, Fixed and Removable Drives, Disk Read/Write. It can be set to monitor your local weather. It also monitors every drive in your system for file read/write/delete activity. If it detects a large number of file changes per minute, it will display a message and optionally send users an email or a text message. If the user is going to be away for a while, they can set the program to Away mode and in additional to sending an email it will shutdown the computer.
NANY_keepwatch.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

1 Key Browsing by mat2016
Allows many common Firefox and Chrome browser functions to be performed with only single letter commands.
NANY_1keybrowse.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

Mass JSON Editor by wraith808
This is a revamp of a NANY 2020 entry, Mass JSON Viewer.  In addition to browsing a directory and loading/validating JSON files that exist there, this one allows you to actually edit the JSON files, and save them as a new file or to the same file.
NANY_MassJSONEditor.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

sDictionary by skwire
Minimalist desktop dictionary lookup app that retrieves definitions from Merriam-Webster online disctionary.
NANY_sdict.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

Ducky (A Simple Dock) by SwanKnight
A simple desktop dock. Drag and drop any executable or shortcut on the main window and it will be added as a button which you can use to launch it later.
NANY_ducky.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

Random Sounds App by publicdomain
Simple desktop application created to play random sounds at an interval (which can even be randomized!) from a specified directory.
NANY_RandomSoundsApp_v0-2-0.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

IrfanView Panorama (IVP) by lanux128
A front end for the image viewer IrfanView's 'Create Panorama image' feature to allow the user to add, sort or remove the image files that the user wants to stitch together before invoking the feature.
NANY_IrfanViewPanorama.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

Xaya Name Utility by Renegade
Facilitates transferring and registering Xaya Names in a Xaya wallet in bulk, removing much of the tedium of the process.
NANY_xaya.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

Portable Application Updater by hamradio
A utility that let's you check for updates to portable software, so that you can invoke update checks and have the new versions downloaded and installed.
NANY_portableupdate.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

Solar Date Calculator by dmytron
Simple proof-of-concept utility that reports the number of days between two dates, as experienced on different planets.
NANY_solardate.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

Simple Budget by relipse
This is a simple web app based upon Dr. Darryl Sturghill's idea of keeping track of a monthly budget using different categories, allotments, and amount spent.  It is a mobile first web application that allows a user to create expenses and add them to the Spent category, to allow the user to easily see what is Left Over at the end of the month, at which time the remainder can be carried over to the next month.
NANY_Ninject Budget.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

Polyglot Zobrist Key Generator by shinkarom
This is a web application with a singular purpose - to allow the user to encode a Zobrist hash from a FEN chess opening position.  This might be useful if writing a chess engine.
NANY_PolyglotZobrist.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

Chat LAN Client by KodeZwerg
A proof-of-concept desktop application that allows you to chat with others on your LAN.
NANY_chat.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

Apps You Forgot by anandcoral
Apps (Programs) You Forgot, shows you the program (exe) files which are in your program folder but are NOT in your start menu (similar to ISMONISM above). It also shows programs which you are not using for a long time i.e. you forgot about them
NANY_appsforgot.pngNANY 2020 Wrap-up

quick generator peek by Tuxman
Chrome extension. Some software, like certain HTML editors and weblog software like WordPress, adds an information to your site's source code that says which software was used to generate it. This Chrome extension will read this information and display it as a pop-up.

Unping all the links by Tuxman
Chrome extension that removes hyperlink trackers right from the HTML code.

birdcries by Tuxman
Web service. Replace twitter.com in any Twitter status link by birdcries.net to get a less shitty read-only view of the tweet which is faster and will respect your privacy.

scss-loop-template-processor by Ath
Commandline tool for developers using css preprocessor; Process a template with a set of numeric-postfixed constants to replace @for loops by @each loops intended as scss preprocessing, to reduce the number of generated css classes.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 01:18 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2020 Wrap-up
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 09:51 PM »
Congratulation to everyone who participated!

Let me know if I missed anyone.. If you create a video for your app and upload it to youtube let me know and I'll link to it.

Participants should be receiving an email soon asking for info so I can send you out your DonationCoder NANY participant mug, etc.

Thanks for making it an interesting year of entries!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 09:52 PM »
For the non-coders or non-participants, please consider sending a little donation to the coders who participated in this year's NANY!
You can find them here:
https://www.donation...badges;show=nany2020

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 10:03 PM »
Oh and donations to the site to help pay for the mugs would be quite welcome !  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 02:25 AM »
That's an impressive list in the end.
Well done to all :-*
and thank you mouser for the summary and all the hard work lately :up:
Tom

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 12:30 PM »
Awesome!!!

Truly motivating for a 2020 full of new releases :Thmbsup:

From a happy-to-be-part-of-DC,
Vic
My name's Victor but do feel free to call me Vic! (now known as "paradisusvic")

❤️ Support on Patreon @ www.patreon.com/paradisusis
New Email/Paypal: paradisusvicgmail.com

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 05:22 PM »
Again, I failed to finish my most impressive two projects in quite some time. But I have already worked on one of them today...  :P

Thank you, all (other) participants - the results are awesome as always!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 12:16 AM »
I don't know why this app wasn't submitted as part of NANY, dcmember r0bertdenir0's app Pandemonium:
https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=48841

If you have tried apps like noisli or brain.fm, you know what Pandemonium is about.
I work in an open plan office & it can be hard to get into the zone when there are ad-hoc conversations going on.
Noise cancelling headphones are good for low frequency noise but not so good at voices.
What I've found works for me is non-vocal sounds.
Natural sounds like rain, birds, running water, soft classical music (I like Gymnopedie by Satie) work especially well for me.
Services like noisli give you a fixed set of options to choose from.

Pandemonium lets you create a playlist of any number of audio files (anything supported by the IrrKlang library).
You can then simultaneously play all the streams over each other, setting volume on each stream.
I've found it really helpful for focusing & hope it might be useful to others.
It's probably best used with headphones, but that's up to you.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 04:38 AM »
I don't know why this app wasn't submitted as part of NANY, dcmember r0bertdenir0's app Pandemonium:
May be he did not get proper time at the end. Maybe knock on his door (personal message) will give some response.

Regards,

Anand

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 01:03 PM »
where is the shop to buy a nany 2020 shirt ?

:-* :P

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 11:45 PM »
where is the shop to buy a nany 2020 shirt ?

Contribute to NANY by coding something and you'll find out. :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 12:07 AM »
What Deozaan is saying is that in general we don't sell the NANY mugs, we give them out for free to the coders who make the apps..

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 05:27 PM »
What Deozaan is saying is that in general we don't sell the NANY mugs, we give them out for free to the coders who make the apps..
Age before the beauty !!!!!!!.
I am not a programmer !!!!!
 ;D ;D ;D