topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Sagelight Image Editor v4 returns as Pay-What-You-Want  (Read 9135 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sagelight Image Editor v4 returns as Pay-What-You-Want
« on: December 21, 2019, 05:31 AM »
After being kind of dead for awhile it seems Sagelight is once more under development:

From the blog, (first post in 5 years):
SAGELIGHT IS BACK — AND ITS FREE

After a long hiatus, Sagelight editor is back.

Version 4 is now free, which is something I’ve wanted to try for a long time — give away Sagelight (or a version of it) and see of the pay-what-you-want/donation model can work enough to support Sagelight.  I’m looking at a donation model for version 4, and it would be great if it works.

I am currently writing Version 5 (which is about 70% completed), which has a lot of new changes, including a newly-revamped UI about which I am excited.

If you are a previous owner of Sagelight, download this version as an update.  It’s exactly the same except for the bug fixes and a few changes.

Rob

Sagelight can be downloaded from the main website: Sagelight Image Editor

After installation it has the version number 4.4h (b) which is the last paid version I have, (from 2013).

ADDENDUM: For an insight into what the author had to cope with during the time development was halted I recommend you read his forum post.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 05:42 PM by 4wd »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sagelight Image Editor v4 and is Pay-What-You-Want
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 06:55 AM »
Just glad he could deal with the important things without Sagelight being a burden.

Still have fond memories, but never thought there was any chance of it resurfacing. They were the days when I didn't have to worry about glare! Be interesting to see what it does now, though I'll have to take time working out what computer to use it on. Or setting a  computer up to use it on.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 10:08 AM »
It used to be a great editor. I bought a version before, but cannot remember which, in fact I don't have any documentation about it any more.

i think I will give it a try again.
Regards, Brahman

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 11:00 PM »
Rob certainly knows his stuff when it comes to image manipulation/enhancement.

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 05:22 AM »
thanks, i own the v4 version but I go to support him with donation.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 05:53 AM »
Fingers crossed the donation-model works for him  :Thmbsup:

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Looks as if it is very nearly 10 years since I bought v4.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 10:22 AM »
Looks as if it is very nearly 10 years since I bought v4.
yeah, just had a look, nine years ago he had some sort of lifetime deal via gizmo (techsupportalert?)
Curious to see the new one.
Tom

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 11:05 AM »
yeah, just had a look, nine years ago he had some sort of lifetime deal via gizmo (techsupportalert?)
Curious to see the new one.
I think he had sales independent of the gizmo deal too. I appear to have two licences.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 03:36 PM »
Nice and...

https://sagelighteditor.com/donate.html shows a min donation of $10 for v5 free if he has to charge for it while... https://sagelightedi...r.com/purchase3.html shows a min donation of $5 for v5 free if he has to charge for it.

Just a FYI the bigger amount he most likely means, but that does make it a little confusing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 03:49 PM by hamradio »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sagelight Image Editor v4 returns as Pay-What-You-Want
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 03:23 AM »
Just a FYI the bigger amount he most likely means, but that does make it a little confusing.

Could be the opposite since the higher amount seems to be an earlier post, ie. v5 70% complete as opposed to 75% for the lower amount.
A lower amount to get in more donations and hopefully cover all his time and effort.

Costs nothing to have him clarify it.

EDIT: Left him a message querying the discrepancy.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 04:09 AM by 4wd »

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 07:55 AM »
Just seen this thread.

I bought Sagelight back in 2011 -- had no idea it was so long ago! -- and it's still my favourite image editor. I'd given up on ever seeing it updated and was slowly coming to terms with the prospect of having to find a worthwhile replacement, so this is great news. But what poor Rob had to go through in the hiatus -- had no idea. :(
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 03:58 PM »
If you purchased Sagelight under the Lifetime Licence deal he had, it will be respected for future versions.

Regarding the apparent discrepancy between $5 and $10 mentioned by @hamradio:
http://www.sagelight...3-post-34.html#pid34

gjdgjd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 04:46 AM »
Occasional user of Sagelight - have a legitimate version of v4.4 - needed to reinstall - won't register (probably not surprising as it's now free). So I downloaded the free version - and it simply shuts down after opening an image - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 20H2 - tried compatibility modes when installing and when running exe - simply won't run. Tried to make a donation - refused. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to make my paid version run past the trial period? Anyone have any suggestions about making the free version run? Anyone successfully donated? I am about to give up on it - which would be a shame.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 03:25 PM »
I notice that Rob hasn't signed in to his forum since February. So another protracted disappearance. I also notice that his new forum only ever gained 41 registered users, including you - might have been a bit dispiriting when he'd put the effort in to setting it all up again. It's very sad because there will be reasons for it and it's great software - but no way you can rely on it being supported or updated.

That said, I took the risk and downloaded the free version - which did work as it should (W10, no compatibility modes). So I've got no idea why it wouldn't work for you. I'd suggest that you uninstall the program and hunt down and clean any vestiges of previous installs and then install the free version again.

gjdgjd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 03:20 AM »
Did a bit of Googling and this seems to be "a known thing". It goes as follows:-
The free version crashes if you open any non-RAW file (JPG, TIF etc) (if your's doesn't then you are a lucky person).
Thus "Quick Edit Mode" is a non-runner.
However.....
If you open a RAW file (I used Panasonic RW2 but it works for any RAW image I think) then you default to "Pro Quick Edit Mode" - which is stable.
From "Pro Quick Edit Mode" you can then open JPG, TIF whatever and it works - bizarre or what!
There is no known way of starting in a defined mode (to shortcut this faffing about - if there are any command line switches I'd like to know) and no way of switching modes once you reach the "Pro Quick Edit Mode" by this route.
Looks like I am now a Professional by default.
For freeware it's good enough but you would not want to pay for it - I am not exactly relying on this to make a living - it is fun only.
I think the bottom line is that this is "amateur/hobby level" software and if you commit to it more than that on the basis of any future development you are at risk down the road.
I have a secure use of it in "Pro Quick Edit Mode" - all I need.
On the subject of clean installs - I think you make a valid point. If you have a clean Windows system and install the free version I suspect you are fine but like most people I tried to install the activated version first - that fails to activate (no server available anymore). I don't know how the activation worked but possibly a hidden encrypted file is placed somewhere and that this file is not removed by the uninstall (which I have tried). Maybe the free version does not like finding this? I have a couple of machines that have never seen any version of Sagelight - I may try the free version on one of these to see what happens - but I have spent far too long on this already!

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 11:04 AM »
Back in the day, when I used it, there were a few nice features not as easily available in other software - but I used other programs more of the time. Always masses of potential, but never realised. Last I remember, he was talking about optimising it for use with photos from phones.

This time, I just opened a jpg and went straight for Pro functions.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 10:47 AM »
Well Rob is back again, so ought to be able to respond to issues. I think he's contemplating best way of taking Sagelight forward.
He also has a 'new' product Sagebox, which seems to be a programmers tool that he developed for his wider consulting work.