topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten  (Read 414445 times)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten
« Reply #850 on: November 19, 2020, 02:37 PM »
Why do we write and write and curate and write?
Virtually all the money I've ever earned has depended on my writing. Curating too.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #851 on: November 19, 2020, 03:11 PM »
Why do we write and write and curate and write?
Virtually all the money I've ever earned has depended on my writing. Curating too.

I'm not in that position, but I've made quite the bit of side hustle money with my writing.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Deleting contents of ObsidianCache
« Reply #852 on: November 19, 2020, 03:44 PM »
I've now established that deleting (or moving) contents of ObsidianCache has no effect on Obsidian's memory for the existence of previously opened vaults or their location. They still open as normal (presumably recreating the ObsidianCache file from the files).

Changing the name of the Vault folder loses the memory of that vault and changing it back after Obsidian has been closed does not restore it. Presumably one of the other cache files stores names and locations of available vaults from the last session, and there's a check for their continued existence.

So deleting the vaults I want to keep secure from ObsidianCache should be sufficient for my purpose.
Only aggravation is having to check individually the cache names against the vault names.
Assuming I understand what's going on well enough.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #853 on: November 19, 2020, 05:38 PM »
Could you perhaps post your thoughts on some Obsidian forum to see if someone can validate your approach?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #854 on: November 20, 2020, 09:01 AM »
What's wrong with us?  Why do we write and write and curate and write?  I don't know, might be a mental problem.

LOL! I suspect that of myself sometimes. More often than I’d like actually.  One professor described my “problem” as an “aspiration to achieve omniscience.”

I eventually gave up on trying to create an artifact and just constructed a classic memory palace for myself. Something I’ve since stopped worrying about externalizing for posterity. But I find the software based approach some are taking as
incredibly interesting just the same.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #855 on: November 20, 2020, 04:05 PM »
“aspiration to achieve omniscience.”
Nothing wrong with that. Just one end of a spectrum. The better end usually.
With total ignorance being the midpoint, and being wrong about everything at the other end.
Life makes it hard for anyone to maintain a comfortable ignorance, which leaves you with a choice of directions.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #856 on: November 20, 2020, 04:41 PM »
Could you perhaps post your thoughts on some Obsidian forum to see if someone can validate your approach?
With any particular outcome in mind?

Problem is that the Obsidian forums aren't great at analysis.
And this is an issue only to a tiny minority (possibly only me).
I would have expected more informed responses when I first raised the issue if more informed responses were to be had. And no comment from developers at all.
I have a few more tests to do, and recheck on the latest version, and then I'll probably put a small post on the forum in case anyone else is ever interested.

I mentioned it here as a follow-on to my post explaining my change of direction, to indicate that there were simpler methods of managing it. Certainly it makes it easier for me to continue using Obsidian for most notes, but does nothing to move me from Frankenstein.

Which had advantages anyway. I worked out how to do multi-coloured highlights in markdown fairly easily, but simply using RTF is easier still and it is only a temporary stage for me, not the final document. At some point, I'm sure someone will come up with a better form of plaintext for the average word processor user. It will give up document management and document styling features (the latter are rarely used by most, and the former are little used by the average user) ave but keep the text control and styling. It will give up code blocks. Maybe it will be called marktext.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #857 on: November 20, 2020, 05:10 PM »
Using Obsidian with Termux and VIM:
https://www.thegadhi...with-termux-and-vim/

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #858 on: November 20, 2020, 06:46 PM »
With any particular outcome in mind?

I was thinking that it would help you to know where you stand, and if you were covering all your bases with your approach. But if they are less than helpful, I can see why you'd not do that.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #859 on: November 21, 2020, 09:56 AM »
I'm sure someone will come up with a better form of plaintext for the average word processor user. It will give up document management and document styling features (the latter are rarely used by most, and the former are little used by the average user) ave but keep the text control and styling. It will give up code blocks. Maybe it will be called marktext.

I don’t think it would require an entirely new plaintext format. I suspect it could be adequately handled by XML. The real challenge would be establishing the schema and taxonomies. The mechanics and details of the markup itself aren’t the issue. It’s the meta framework that represents the real work to be done.

Kinda like the old joke about how employing a computer and database for your average problem is often like hitting a fly with a 20-lb sledgehammer.  Easy enough on the face of it - except for the part about how to get the fly to land.  ;D

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #860 on: November 22, 2020, 04:08 PM »
I suspect it could be adequately handled by XML
If XML were a contender markdown et freres would never have been invented.

The number of commands most people need is small, it's just that markdown doesn't include them all, and some of its choices are distinctly odd and hard to use. Apart from other features which presumably fitted Gruber's original idea of purpose and target users, but aren't wanted by most WP users.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #861 on: November 22, 2020, 04:37 PM »
I suspect it could be adequately handled by XML
If XML were a contender markdown et freres would never have been invented.

The number of commands most people need is small, it's just that markdown doesn't include them all, and some of its choices are distinctly odd and hard to use. Apart from other features which presumably fitted Gruber's original idea of purpose and target users, but aren't wanted by most WP users.

Yeah, that was my thought too.  The few that do use a plain text format other than markdown (and sometimes in conjunction with markdown) use json or protobuf that I've seen.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #862 on: December 04, 2020, 10:09 AM »
Have we mentioned Zettlr yet?
https://www.zettlr.com/download/win32

It is a notebook app with markdown designed for writers.
I haven't tried it yet, but I've downloaded it and plan to preview it.  (I'm still using TreeDBNotes because I've never found a suitable replacement)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #863 on: December 04, 2020, 12:44 PM »
Have we mentioned Zettlr yet?
https://www.zettlr.com/download/win32

It is a notebook app with markdown designed for writers.
I haven't tried it yet, but I've downloaded it and plan to preview it.  (I'm still using TreeDBNotes because I've never found a suitable replacement)
Oh yes, discussed a lot.  I prefer using Zettlr to write my content, fyi.  And then I prefer Obsidian to navigate my content.  And ultimately, I prefer Neuron to display my content on a website.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #864 on: December 04, 2020, 03:41 PM »
Zettelkasten for Indie Devs and Product Managers:
https://blog.notepla...ttelkasten-for-devs/

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #865 on: December 04, 2020, 07:08 PM »
I'm still using TreeDBNotes
TreeDBNotes is very different to all of these, so you'd probably need to have decided to move on. And if that's your starting point, you'll know what you want to keep and what you'd like to add.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #866 on: December 04, 2020, 07:15 PM »
I prefer using Zettlr to write my content,
I'm often not very fussed about what I actually write in. Sometimes my choice will depend on a feature I want for that particular use.
For instance folding (which I use a lot):
Typora doesn't seem to have it;
Zettlr is better (headings);
Obsidian is better still (headings and outlines)
and WriteMonkey is best (no obvious limitation).
I admit I might have missed a use somewhere above - I've not tested in detail, just what I've found in use.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #867 on: December 04, 2020, 07:24 PM »
One huge issue for me, having many files, is the whole file explorer set up. None of these programs are great. Obsidian possibly best because it has the greatest variety of ways of finding files (folder, search, tags, regex, graph), but convenience in everyday use is important.

Another issue is how well the editor/program integrates into a system where there are many types of files. Again I don't think any of them are great for doing this.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #868 on: December 05, 2020, 04:01 AM »
Another issue is how well the editor/program integrates into a system where there are many types of files. Again I don't think any of them are great for doing this.
Yeah, there is a lot of friction to overcome there. I have an AutoHotkey script setup: I put no-markup filepaths or filenames in the plaintext notes. Later I select a whole or part of such a string (or put the cursor inside it) and press a hotkey. The script detects if there is a unique file anywhere matching the string pattern and takes action depending on filetype. E.g. open PDF in pdf viewer, open source code file in VS Code and so on. If multiple files match action alternatives are shown. If no file is matched alternatives to open up a file search in Everything or do a Google search are shown. Since this works on any text selection anywhere I can use the same approach across different apps, local or web based. For example I use it also in notes written in Google Docs, in effect links from Docs to the local filesystem. I considered making it a NANY tool this year but the thing is still evolving and is very tied to my own note taking setup and how I tend to use the target files, so difficult to make into a more general application yet. But I think this kind of customizable inbetween tool is the best option, since it is unlikely that any specific note taking app will also be a best fit for how you want to deal with various other types of files.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 04:10 AM by Nod5 »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #869 on: December 07, 2020, 08:12 PM »
I prefer Obsidian to navigate my content
Which features of Obsidian do you use when navigating?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #870 on: December 31, 2020, 12:27 AM »
I prefer Obsidian to navigate my content
Which features of Obsidian do you use when navigating?
For navigating, I basically use the sidebar where the files are listed, and the graph webbing view.  I like the graph view, but can't really say I use it too much.  I look at it there to see how things are connected.  However, neuron has a view as a tree hierarchy that does another kind of similar view which I like better. 

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #871 on: December 31, 2020, 08:41 AM »
Is there a way in obsidian to get a toolbar for markup?  I hate remembering all the markup codes and tricks.  I also love toolbars.  I'm checking out obisidian right now, but the lack of toolbar buttons is a hangup for me.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #872 on: January 03, 2021, 02:14 PM »
Is there a way in obsidian to get a toolbar for markup? 
I'd suggest just using Typora as your front end until Obsidian has its WYSIWYG editor. They both update fast, meaning they can be used at the same time.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #873 on: January 03, 2021, 02:22 PM »
For navigating, I basically use the sidebar where the files are listed, and the graph webbing view.
I was interested because I find I'm ignoring most options.
I virtually never use the graph or the file explorer sidebar.
I do use links (backlinks sometimes), tags and search - and that's about it. I use my nested vaults as an easy way to limit the available files and would expect to use MOC (Maps of Content = indices) when they become useful.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #874 on: January 06, 2021, 10:36 PM »
Is there a way in obsidian to get a toolbar for markup?
I'd suggest just using Typora as your front end until Obsidian has its WYSIWYG editor. They both update fast, meaning they can be used at the same time.
zettlr also has a toolbar