topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2015 Release - Splat (Simple Program Launching and Termination)  (Read 167603 times)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2015 Release - Splat (Simple Program Launching and Termination)
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 11:25 PM »
I also have a minor suggestions if thats ok:
Would it be possible to obey environment variables? So that we could use something like '%UserProfile%\Documents\VeryImportantDocument.pdf' regardless of the current user name? Or so portable apps could be launched regardless of the current drive letter?

I think this should be doable.  Let me do some testing and see what I can manage.

Sounds like it would be a nice enhancement.  Good luck!

pamu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 07:33 AM »
I like it!
Is there a way to run the program and automatically run a profile (and then stop the prg)?
Are there run command parameters?
Thankyou!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2015, 11:29 AM »
Hi, pamu, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :)

Is there a way to run the program and automatically run a profile (and then stop the prg)?

Yes, that capability is already in my dev build which should be released later today.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:58 AM by skwire »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 12:58 AM »
And by "later today" I really meant three days later.  However, it's a huge update with many new additions and features.

@lujomu: I think have environment variables working.  Please test and let me know.
@pamu: You can now right-click a profile and create a desktop shortcut to run that profile without seeing the user interface.

Again, lots of changes so please read the changelog and report any bugs.

Website | Download
v1.0.3 - 2015-01-12
    + Added an entry to the Profiles menu that can create a shortcut on the
      desktop which directly runs a Splat profile.  Profiles launched in this
      manner will display the tray icon for the duration of the profile and then
      exit.  The full Splat interface will NOT be displayed.
    + Added support for environment variables.  (Thanks, lujomu)
    + Added 'Clear log before each profile launch' option.
    + Added ability to specify a window's title or partial title when closing a
      program.  This can help with the reliability of the close action.
    + Added ability to run a profile within a profile.
    + Added optional, Alt+F4 close method to the Close action.
    + Added a real, honest-to-goodness help file.  Really.
    * Consolidated some of the "Close application" settings.
    * Tray icon now displays a triangular blue run icon when a profile is
      running.
    ! Moving a profile didn't update the tray profile menu.
    ! Undo/Redo were broken.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 08:27 AM »
I'm trying Splat simply for opening a group of files - it seems like a great way to open, and keep a record of, files related to a specific query/topic/whatever.

I'm wondering:
  • Having hotkeys is great, but would you consider a generic shortcut to launch the selected profile e.g. Enter; or Ctrl+Enter
  • would it be possible to run one entry in a profile (I presume this could also be advantageous when testing) either via context menu, or again, with Enter or variation on same
Tom

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 08:47 AM »
I'm trying Splat simply for opening a group of files - it seems like a great way to open, and keep a record of, files related to a specific query/topic/whatever.

Very nice.  I've been doing something similar as well.

• Having hotkeys is great, but would you consider a generic shortcut to launch the selected profile e.g. Enter; or Ctrl+Enter
  • would it be possible to run one entry in a profile (I presume this could also be advantageous when testing) either via context menu, or again, with Enter or variation on same

Actually, both are already on my ToDo list.  Keep in mind that copy/paste should work between profiles so you can keep a simple TEST profile.  That's what I do for now.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 09:13 AM »
^ great stuff :up:
Tom

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 05:40 PM »
    + Added support for environment variables.  (Thanks, lujomu)

Hurray!

lujomu

• Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 06:31 PM »
Hey skwire, I had some time to test the new version. Here are my thoughts:

• The environment variable support seems to work fine for the target of an entry. Could the support maybe be extended to the arguments and the working directory? I'd like to run something like this:
    Target:%DataDrive%\Apps\Launchy\Launchy.exe
    Arguments:/profile "_Data @%ComputerName%"
    Working directory:%DataDrive%\Apps\Launchy
    As a workaround one can simply launch a shortcut (LNK file) with the corresponding entries. This way all environment variables are evaluated properly. Only drawback is, Splat has no chance to determine if the app is already running or not.
    I also noticed that no app/file icon is displayed if you use an environment variable in the target path, but thats fine with me.

• Running a profile from command line/shortcut works great! I understand that the progress is reflected in the tray icon, but I added a 'Run' entry at the end of my profiles that plays a notification sound when the profile is done launching - maybe someone else finds it useful:
    Target:nircmd
    Arguments:mediaplay 3000 "sound.wav"
    Note: nircmd and the sound file must reside in the Splat app directory (or you have to adjust the paths accordingly) and the number after 'mediaplay' is the play time in ms. This should be as long as the sound file, or playback will be truncated.

Thanks again for the app - it has instantly risen to the Olymp of my daily used apps! ;)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 06:59 PM »
The environment variable support seems to work fine for the target of an entry. Could the support maybe be extended to the arguments and the working directory?

Please test this interim build and see if it works now for the args and working dir.  http://skwire.dcmemb...pps/splat/Splat_.zip

I also noticed that no app/file icon is displayed if you use an environment variable in the target path, but thats fine with me.

I'll see if there is anything I can do about this.

• Running a profile from command line/shortcut works great! I understand that the progress is reflected in the tray icon, but I added a 'Run' entry at the end of my profiles that plays a notification sound when the profile is done launching
You know, I could easily add a "Play sound" action...    ;)

Thanks again for the app - it has instantly risen to the Olymp of my daily used apps! ;)

I'm glad you've found the application useful.   :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2015, 07:30 PM »

I'll see if there is anything I can do about this.

v1.0.3 build 4 fixes this issue.  Please test and let me know if it works for you.

http://skwire.dcmemb...pps/splat/Splat_.zip
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:04 PM by skwire »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 10:04 PM »
Just uploaded v1.0.3 build 6 which adds a "Play audio file" action.   :D  There is an additional "wait for audio file to finish playing before continuing" option associated with this action.  Please test and let me know if it all functions properly.  I'll check back in the morning.

http://skwire.dcmemb...pps/splat/Splat_.zip

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 10:29 PM »
<---- proceeds to demonstrate the neutrality of tech intersecting with intelligence and the hopes that there is morality behind intelligence.

Ahhh, Skwire Skwire Skwire.

You know you just opened Pandora's handbag, right? Let's go pull things out of it!

While technically possible before, it would have been rather tricky to play audio files in the right order. But I'm guessing this new version has portions of Trout mashed into it. And with that, you get another whole-greater-than-parts result.

You just invented a cute new alarm clock! With Snooze! And instructions!

Whazzalldat you say?

Because it's not about the cute obvious case of just getting up in the morning. Any old Minecraft 16 bit computer alarm clock can do that!

No. I'm talking that you built an incredibly easy Macro timer program, and now you stuck *sound player* capability into it.

And just like Wizards of the Coast found out in 1993, you can take simple little pieces and produce terrifying results. Here we go!

1. First just find a cute couple of little songs to anchor different purposes.
2. Design the profile(s) needed per notes below.
3. Use a virtual/desktop splitter to jam Splat out of the way in the background.
4. Text to Speech produces audio files. Make a bunch of things you need to be reminded of.
5. Space them apart with the wait command and your choice of waiting until the audio is done or not before the master profile keeps going.
6. Because it's audio, if you are doing stuff around the house, you don't have to keep drifting back and forth to the computer to keep checking your list. You can get a Star-Trek-Computer effect "hollering" out stuff like "Did you call the cable company yet?"

Bonus tricks:
On a friend's computer, you can do this and tuck it behind the splitter, with TTS messages loaded. So they are hanging out doing stuff. With a good guess, like you know they lose motivation after working for about two hours of work, you schedule a TTS message in a nice creepy voice, "Hello. This is your computer. Find anything interesting on Facebook? You might want to get back to work."

:D

So, you will be responsible for at least $500 of increased productivity and Pwning April Fool's 2015 somewhere in our fine user base's community!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:42 PM by TaoPhoenix »

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 11:22 PM »
Jody, I made a similar program in autohotkey to use for provisioning computers.

In my program I have a tree, with lots of nodes.  Each node was kind of like what you call a profile - and each node had its subnodes - like your "actions".
So I could manually execute each action and after it finished, it would mark true a checkbox that was next to the item.
When all the actions were complete, the checkbox next to the node (your "profile") would be checked.

I spent too much time on it already, and it was designed just for this particular use of mine, so it's not something I could really share.  But I can share a little picture!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

So, what about adding checkboxes to splat?

lujomu

• Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2015, 03:01 AM »
Environment variables now do work in target, arguments and working directory field and the app icons are also displayed properly! Perfect!  :Thmbsup:

'Play audio file' action does work great and certainly makes things easier and neater!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2015, 05:51 AM »
But I'm guessing this new version has portions of Trout mashed into it.

Actually, no.  Trout uses the BASS library.  Splat's audio handling just uses the simple SoundPlay command in AHK.

So, you will be responsible for at least $500 of increased productivity

Great.  Said persons can donate the aforementioned $500 to me and make my day.   :P

Jody, I made a similar program in autohotkey to use for provisioning computers.
(see attachment in previous post)

That looks great (and very releaseable).   :D

So, what about adding checkboxes to splat?

I'm not sure what purpose this would serve because the current launch log serves a similar purpose, no?

Environment variables now do work in target, arguments and working directory field and the app icons are also displayed properly! Perfect!  :Thmbsup:
'Play audio file' action does work great and certainly makes things easier and neater!

Wonderful.  Thank you for testing.   :Thmbsup:

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2015, 08:41 AM »
Jody, with regards to the checkboxes:
The launch log is good for immediate perusal and report on how the execution progressed;
The state of the checkboxes would be saved to the settings file so when you close the program and reopen it, you can see which tasks have been completed.  It would make splat into sort of an executable todo list.

You see, if I am provisioning a computer (and were to use splat) for example, I have to restart the machine several times.  I would use splat to run scripts and commands and such, and the checkbox state would let me keep track of whether I've completed the task or not - after I restart the computer.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Jody, with regards to the checkboxes:
The state of the checkboxes would be saved to the settings file so when you close the program and reopen it, you can see which tasks have been completed.  It would make splat into sort of an executable todo list.

Hmmm...I currently don't want to add this sort of handling to Splat.  I'll add it to my requests list, though.  In the meantime:

Website | Download
v1.0.4 - 2015-01-14
    + Ctrl+Enter now launches the selected profile when the Splat window is
      focused.  (Thanks, tomos)
    + Shift+Enter now runs any selected entries.  Useful for testing.  (Thanks,
      tomos)
    + Environment vars are now supported in the arguments and working directory
      fields.  (Thanks, lujomu)
    + Added "Play audio file" action.  (Thanks, lujomu)
    * The Profiles index file is now saved more often.  (Thanks, TaoPhoenix)
    ! Application icons should now work if environment variables are used in the
      path.  (Thanks, lujomu)

Lots of good changes.  Thank you, all, for testing.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2015, 10:50 PM »
Ah, I don't blame you.  Thanks for considering, though!

I do have a suggestion, though.
What if you don't want a hotkey for the profile?  I think there should be an option for "none" in the hotkey editor.

Also, if you click on the hotkey column and push F2, I think it should open the hotkey editor.

Another idea; I would want to see a place for a description for the profile.  Maybe a third column in the profile listview or better, an edit panel that changed depending on which profile you click on.

One more - another column in the action listview for description.

I always forget what things were for or why I set them up in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:49 PM by BGM »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 01:40 AM »
    + Added "Play audio file" action.  (Thanks, lujomu)
And it would be very convenient to be able to stop any sound-clip playing, especially if you either have it wait to finish playing, or have selected a very long sound-clip.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2015, 11:21 AM »
I do have a suggestion, though.
What if you don't want a hotkey for the profile?  I think there should be an option for "none" in the hotkey editor.

Right-click the profile and select "Clear launch hotkey" from the menu.

Also, if you click on the hotkey column and push F2, I think it should open the hotkey editor.

Traditionally, F2 is used for renaming and will remain so in Splat.  That said, a different hotkey is easy to add.  F4, perhaps?

Another idea; I would want to see a place for a description for the profile.  Maybe a third column in the profile listview or better, an edit panel that changed depending on which profile you click on.

Hmmm...not sold on this idea.

One more - another column in the action listview for description.

I've tried to make the Action column very descriptive based on parameters set.  Is there really a need for another description-related column?  Honest question...I'm not trying to be a hard-ass.  It's just that I want to keep Splat's interface as simple as possible.  I like applications that don't REQUIRE you read a help file to figure out.  Therefore, I try to write all my apps with this paradigm in mind.

And it would be very convenient to be able to stop any sound-clip playing, especially if you either have it wait to finish playing, or have selected a very long sound-clip.

Yes, a playing sound can be stopped.  So, the only problem here is "how" do you stop it?  Via hotkey?  A button on the main form?  I'm not sure I'm happy with either.  I need to think about this some more.

Website | Download
v1.0.5 - 2015-01-14
    + Added "Launch state" option to the Run action.  (Thanks, Ganamyde)
    * More detail in the Launch Log for Run events.
    ! Editing a "Run (even if running)" event didn't pre-set the radio button
      properly.  (Thanks, Ganamyde)

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2015, 11:44 AM »

Yes, a playing sound can be stopped.  So, the only problem here is "how" do you stop it?  Via hotkey?  A button on the main form?  I'm not sure I'm happy with either.  I need to think about this some more.

Would a stop audio file action where you could add a wait # of seconds before the stop action to tell it how many seconds it should play for work?...or a couple vars with the play file action that allows you to specify start and end time of the play based on how long the sound is. :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Would a stop audio file action where you could add a wait # of seconds before the stop action to tell it how many seconds it should play for work?...or a couple vars with the play file action that allows you to specify start and end time of the play based on how long the sound is.

Good idea.  However, there won't be a separate "seconds to wait" option for the Audio action since you can already insert a wait using the Wait/delay action.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Would a stop audio file action where you could add a wait # of seconds before the stop action to tell it how many seconds it should play for work?...or a couple vars with the play file action that allows you to specify start and end time of the play based on how long the sound is.

Good idea.  However, there won't be a separate "seconds to wait" option for the Audio action since you can already insert a wait using the Wait/delay action.

Thats the one I was talking about anyway. :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2015, 01:16 PM »
Added:

Website | Download
v1.0.6 - 2015-01-14
    * Revamped the Play audio file action.  Added a "stop playback" option.
      (Thanks, Ath & hamradio)