topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2015 Release - Splat (Simple Program Launching and Termination)  (Read 167618 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2015 Release - Splat (Simple Program Launching and Termination)
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2015, 10:39 AM »
Uh, one more idea...

When you edit an entry,  allow for drag and drop of files and folders into each of the text boxes.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2015, 02:18 PM »
1. add a notes column for the entries so I can remember why I added an entry and why its in that position

Added in the latest release.

2. save the launch log file for each launch profile so when I restart the program I can see what has been done and what hasn't  (since you aren't interested in adding checkboxes) - this "history" would display when the program is restarted
 3. Add an option to the Launch Profile to display the last log or start a new one  (there *is* an option already in the program options to "Clear log before each profile launch" - but mine isn't checked and the launch log for the profile is always empty when I restart the program... 1.1.0 build 1)
 4. Option in the menu to clear the launch log for the selected launch profile

Currently, the launch log is not saved at all (per-profile or otherwise).  I need to think this over more before I decide if I want to make any changes regarding it.

I need to install a whole bunch of Windows Update files - .msu files.
I really don't much relish having to add the same command entry for each file.
It would be really nice if Splat had a batch command so I could run the same command on *each* file in a folder.

I'll add this to the request list but don't hold your breath.  Perhaps mouser's Drag + Drop Robot might be of use in this case?

https://www.donation...are/Mouser/dragdrop/

Website | Download
v1.1.3 - 2015-02-03
    Added "Notes" column to the Entries list.  (Thanks, BGM)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2015, 04:02 PM »
Thanks for listening, Jody; I'll try out Mouser's drag-n-drop robot.  But seeing as you are coding in autohotkey, it would be so easy to add a batch run.
I mean that in the Action dropdown for "Action" in "Edit Entry" panel, to add another item called "Batch Run"

Action:    Batch Run
Target:    c:\windows\system32\wusa.exe
Batch Directory:  G:\WindowsUpdates\Security Updates
Batch Target:  *.msu
Arguments: /quiet /norestart
Working Directory:
Log Each Batch Run:  true

Just in case you didn't understand what I meant by all that - this is what I mean:

Code: Autohotkey [Select]
  1. if(!file.exist(%target%) ){
  2.         alert("Sorry Folks, but " . %target% . " does not seem to exist`rwe cannot proceed","error",apptitle)
  3.         gosub, EXIT
  4. }else{ 
  5.         Loop, %batch_dir%\%batch_target%,0,1
  6.         {
  7.                 run, %target% "%A_LoopFileFullPath%" %arguments%
  8.         }
  9. }

The log files are only useful if you intend to accomplish everything in one session.  But there are some tasks that require several sessions in which case the log becomes rather useless.

Thanks for the notes column!

miva2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2015, 04:24 AM »
Skwire, you're a hero! :Thmbsup:
This is exactly what I was looking for.
Down to the pre and post game settings and all!

Edit: Solved!
Spoiler
One problem though. My profiles and actions don't seem to be saved at all. Is there a savebutton I am missing?
I assumed it would save automatically.
Profiles stay until I close Splat but the actions within them get reset even when I select a different profile.
Actions also get reset when right clicking the profile.

I just tried actually running a profile and it doesn't seem to start anything.
The log says "Launching profile: Work     Profile launch complete: Work".
I dropped a lnk from my desktop onto the action part. It got correctly filled in but doesn't do anything when running the profile.
I tried running both with the button on top, the keyboard shortcut and with rightclick > Launch profile (which removes the action field).

I am running on a Windows 7 Dell Latitude E6540 from work.
Could I have something that prevents splat from running?
Or am I just missing a step in creating and running profiles.

I had to save it outside of program files. Works perfectly fine!

Suggestion:
It would be nice if the columns automatically resize to take the space available. It's kind of silly to see only the first few letters of the action on the selected profile following by a lot of space.
Nothing too important but it's a nice to have ;D

Thanks for your hard work and I look forward to actually using it! using it right now!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:45 AM by miva2 »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2015, 01:39 AM »
This is exactly what I was looking for.

Good to hear.  I'm glad you find it useful.

Edit: Solved!I had to save it outside of program files. Works perfectly fine!

If you want to run it within that folder, just run it with administrator rights.

It would be nice if the columns automatically resize to take the space available.

Well, crap.  For some reason, I had that option commented out in my code.  I added it back in.  Here you go:

Website | Download
v1.1.4 - 2015-02-07
    Added "Auto-size list columns" option.  (Thanks, miva2)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2015, 09:18 PM »
Website | Download
v1.1.5 - 2015-02-11
    + Added "Save log on exit" option.  (Thanks, BGM & Ganamyde)
    + File and folder fields in the Add/Edit dialog now support drag and drop.
      (Thanks, BGM)

yjs14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2015, 01:19 AM »
where is command line sopport? :(

yjs14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

yjs14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

yjs14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2015, 02:16 AM »
suggest: add close/kill all programs or common templet profile(contain some always runing progames like, firewall antivirus...)
I've added a lot of profiles(10), If I want to switch to PURE game mode(game profile), maybe I need to close a lot of programs of other profiles for "PURE". Or someday, if I add another profile contain some new programs, then I need to edit all profiles for "PURE". :(
work profile: close all (or recover to common templet profile)-> A.exe B.exe C.folder
surf profile: close all (or recover to common templet profile)-> C.folder F.exe
game profile: close all (or recover to common templet profile)-> G.exe

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2015, 02:31 AM »
where is command line sopport? :(

The only argument you can pass to Splat.exe is:  /profile:"c:\full\path\to\<ProfileName>.profile"
You can easily create a shortcut for a profile by right-clicking the profile name and choosing the "Send launch profile shortcut to desktop" entry.  As the help file explains, launching a profile in this manner doesn't display the main interface.  Only the tray icon is shown for the duration of the profile.

UI problem

Sometimes it gets wacky like that.  Choose View > Reset splitter position from the menu and restart Splat.

bug?

I'm going to guess you're running a folder and expecting Splat to continue when you close Windows Explorer.  As the info button near that option explains: Enabling this option runs the item and waits, indefinitely, for its process ID (PID) to close before moving on to the next item.  This option is typically used with console or commandline programs that exit on their own after running a command.  Use with care.

In other words, that option is not designed to do what you want with a folder.  It's designed mainly for commandline apps.

suggest: add close/kill all programs or common templet profile(contain some always runing progames like, firewall antivirus...)
I've added a lot of profiles(10), If I want to switch to PURE game mode(game profile), maybe I need to close a lot of programs of other profiles for "PURE". Or someday, if I add another profile contain some new programs, then I need to edit all profiles for "PURE". :(
work profile: close all (or recover to common templet profile)-> A.exe B.exe C.folder
surf profile: close all (or recover to common templet profile)-> C.folder F.exe
game profile: close all (or recover to common templet profile)-> G.exe

No, I will not be adding a "close all" type of option or any sort of pre-made templates.  The reason is that it's easy for you as a user to say to yourself, "Just close all running programs" because you know what to close.  For me, as the programmer, it's damn near impossible.  Why?  Consider all the stuff currently running in your task manager.  I can't just go attempt to close down every running process in there.  That would be Very Badâ„¢.  Your computer would completely shit the bed if I tried that.

As an FYI, you can run a profile within a profile.  So, if you add another profile called, say, NEWSTUFF, with a lot of, ahem, new stuff, you can simply add an entry in your PURE profile that calls this NEWSTUFF profile.  You can get pretty modular with Splat in this way.

yjs14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2015, 06:02 AM »
Great!Thanks for your quick reply! ;D
Sorry, It's my mistake. That "close all programs" I requested, actually it is not "all". I mean all programs of all profiles would launch. (sorry for my poor english... :()
For example: I only just added 3 profiles.  I'd lunched work profile, now I want to switch to game profile. Splat will get all possible launching programs of all profile(A.exe B.exe C.folder F.exe G.exe) to-close list, then remove G.exe(game profile) from to-close list. and next, Splat will try to close the to-close list, then launch G.exe.

work profile: close all (game&surf profile programs except work profile)->run A.exe B.exe C.folder
surf profile: close all programs (work&game profile programs except surf profile )->run C.folder F.exe
game profile: close all programs (work&surf profile programs except game profile)->run G.exe

howbrad

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Splat was featured on dottech.org today.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
nice  :up:

AtmanActive

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Skwire and congratulations and many thanks for building this wonderful software.  :-*

With the current version 1.1.5 it really came a long way and is now almost perfect.

However, it says in the title '...and Termination', but it looks like that part could use some more polishing.

As yjs14 already mentioned, it would be only logical to have 'Terminate profile' in the icon-tray-right-click-pop-up-menu just as we now have 'Launch profile' there.
Sure, making 'close-all-of-these' profiles is a nice feature to have, but why force the user to create a separate close-only profile when he/she already defined which programs to launch in the first place.
So, for example, I have a profile 'Workspace' which starts everything I need for work, and then, when I'm finished with my work, I would like to simply close everything down that that particular profile started.

You already have 'if running' logic in your program, and you already have 'close/kill' routines, so this should be just one more loop in your code, and that would really make it perfect and finally close the whole cycle of running and then terminating entire workspaces.

There is, however, one additional concern about this: some programs are not started directly, but from a .bat file or some other sequence, which means that for those Splat wouldn't know what to close when it comes to termination phase. Hence, I would suggest to add one more input field in the Edit Entry->Run Options dialog which could be named, let's say 'Termination Target', where user could input exe's name that should be closed.
For example, my code editor 'Komodo Edit' does not know how to function in a portable manner, but with a help of a .bat file that adds some %ENVs it runs portable just fine. Now, since I added 'Start_Komodo_Portable.bat' to my run list, not 'komodo.exe', Splat wouldn't know how to terminate it, but if I had one more input field to explain to Splat that I actually meant 'komodo.exe' then it would succeed in terminating it when the time comes.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, AtmanActive, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.  Apologies for the late reply.

I'm glad you like the software and you do make a good argument.  However, it'll be several weeks, at least, before I could possibly start adding something like this.  My regular day job is rather busy at the moment.  I'll keep it in mind, though.   :D

AtmanActive

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sure. No rush.

In the meantime, I stumbled upon a bug, a minor one: reordering entries in a profile doesn't work when drag and drop is used. It just looks like it is working, user can do a drag and drop operation, but as soon as one switches to some other profile and then back, the order of entries is back to where it was. Looks like Splat is not doing 'save' on drag and drop. On the other hand, if context menu => 'Move selection up/down' or keyboard 'Ctrl+Up/Down' is used, then it works as expected.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In the meantime, I stumbled upon a bug, a minor one: reordering entries in a profile doesn't work when drag and drop is used.

Good catch.  Thank you for reporting that.  Should be fixed here:

Website | Download
v1.1.6 - 2015-03-28
    ! Reordering entries in a profile wasn't saved when drag and drop was used.
      (Thanks, AtmanActive)

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A bit late to the party, but thrilled just the same.
Decided to launch my portable tools from USB stick. Using SPLAT as a  lightweight alternative to mouser's full-fledged launchbar.

Any chance to make /profile: portable, independent from drive letters?
Something like
\profile:"ProfileName"  or
\profile:"<SPLAT_apppath>\data\"ProfileName"

Or providing a command line parameter that calls up the profile menu - I cannot foresee what hotkeys are already taken when working portable.

Or both? Adding /profile:menu as a parameter in addition to allowing relative paths?

Thanks for another great tool.

antekgla

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • SRTFilter
    • Donate to Member
Interesting program... seems very useful!

Could you suggest a new type of Action?

Go to First Action

...to make a loop. Sometimes it is useful.
Of course could (but not always) be based in a condition because could be a little dangereous of start a infinite loop.

if XXXX process is [not] running Go to First Action or
if CPU is below|above XXX % then Go to First Action
or If time is < 12:00 go to First Action
or Repeat X number of times

Could sound as a odd request but I give you a real scenario:

I have to encode several files with Vidcoder but I dont want my computer 24 hours with the CPU at 100% because is dangerous, so Vidcoder have a option of pause encoding if XXXX process is running.
I could use your program to launch a process say each 2-3 hours to pause Vidcoder, wait 30 minutes and terminate that process to Vidcoder keep encoding.
But I need to loop this process at least to Vidcoder finish your jobs.

This could be a real case scenario, but I'm sure is not the ony one.
Thanks!
SRTFilter Automatic Subtitle Editor & Renamer
Dualcopy If you use Teracopy or Fastcopy this can be interesting   - My N.A.N.Y 2018 Entry
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:24 PM by antekgla »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I could use your program to launch a process say each 2-3 hours to pause Vidcoder, wait 30 minutes and terminate that process to Vidcoder keep encoding.
But I need to loop this process at least to Vidcoder finish your jobs.

Splat can call a profile so you could make this work like this:

2015-04-15_150547.pngNANY 2015 Release - Splat (Simple Program Launching and Termination)

Please update to the latest Splat v1.1.7 to get the new wait intervals.

antekgla

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • SRTFilter
    • Donate to Member
Splat can call a profile so you could make this work like this:
 (see attachment in previous post)
Please update to the latest Splat v1.1.7 to get the new wait intervals.

Wow! that was fast!

Thank you so much!
SRTFilter Automatic Subtitle Editor & Renamer
Dualcopy If you use Teracopy or Fastcopy this can be interesting   - My N.A.N.Y 2018 Entry

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow! that was fast!
Thank you so much!

You're welcome.  Unfortunately, for now, there's no way to STOP a running profile short of exiting Splat.  I'll try to get that worked in soon.

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What's the recommended way to close applications that reside in the tray? I have things there like clipboard manager and LaunchbarCommander - none of them close with the regular close -command, I get an error that it cannot close.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What's the recommended way to close applications that reside in the tray? I have things there like clipboard manager and LaunchbarCommander - none of them close with the regular close -command, I get an error that it cannot close.
-ScreenManiac (April 20, 2015, 10:33 AM)

Some programs don't respond to WM_CLOSE messages.  In those cases, you have to try the Kill option.  Check out the help file for the Kill action or use the web version here: http://skwire.dcmemb...kill_application.htm