topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684488 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #575 on: August 29, 2015, 09:36 AM »
In theory, you should be able to do a system restore if an update breaks your system. But that assumes you can get booted back into your system long enough to perform the restore.

Well, yes...what you say is true, but your nightmare will start all over again when the mandatory Windows Update kicks in again and re-installs the update that broke the system in the first place & breaks your system again.

I think that's the greater point he was trying to make.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #576 on: August 29, 2015, 07:34 PM »
(see attachment in previous post)     (see attachment in previous post)
When restarting Win 10 after the last update, I noticed that the taskbar clock showed while restarting, but disappeared or was suppressed when done. My best guess as to what is doing this is Classic Shell. Anyone else have any experience with this problem or have fixed it?

Check your DClock2 settings, under Options>Tray Clock and make sure Hide Clock isn't checked. ;)

Thank you!! Thank you so much!! That fixed it.  :-*  :-*  :Thmbsup:   My other computer(the Win 7 one) uses the V1 clock which doesn't have that. I never would have guessed that was the problem.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #577 on: September 05, 2015, 01:48 AM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #578 on: September 22, 2015, 03:45 PM »
Rejoice! Sandboxie 5.04 for Win 10 is available. Anyone here been waiting for it( beside me)? Has anyone beside created a poll? It's interesting that Sandboxie 5.04 under Win 10 uses IE 11 not Edge.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 06:22 PM by Arizona Hot »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #579 on: September 22, 2015, 11:56 PM »
Rejoice! Sandboxie 5.04 for Win 10 is available. Anyone here been waiting for it( beside me)? Has anyone beside created a poll? It's interesting that Sandboxie 5.04 under Win 10 uses IE 11 not Edge.

Sandboxie Poll.pngWindows 10 Announced

Uh... If you created that poll... it doesn't work that way. No one person here can answer for everyone else how many of us use Sandboxie. The poll needs to be something more like:

"Do you use Sandboxie?"

"Yes"
"No"

Or do you expect us to guess? :D (And how will anyone know what the correct answer is?) :o
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:47 AM by Deozaan »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #580 on: September 23, 2015, 12:39 AM »
^Yeah, I want to vote 0 and I can't.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #581 on: September 23, 2015, 01:01 PM »
^Yeah, I want to vote 0 and I can't.
You can't. I use it. Anyway, it was a test to see how well it worked and how many people here use it.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #582 on: September 23, 2015, 01:03 PM »
"Do you use Sandboxie?""Yes""No"

Ok, I'll change it to that. Complaints...complaints...complaints...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #583 on: September 23, 2015, 01:07 PM »
More complaints :D :P

The poll has nothing to do with the topic - it doesnt make any sense to have it here....
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #584 on: September 23, 2015, 05:24 PM »
More complaints :D :P

The poll has nothing to do with the topic - it doesnt make any sense to have it here....

Sounds like sandbagged rather than sand boxed.   :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #585 on: September 23, 2015, 05:31 PM »

Agreed...and why add a poll *after* the thread is 24 pages long? The poll would do much better in a dedicated Sandboxie thread. Many Sandboxie users won't even click on this topic unless they are interested in Windows 10.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #586 on: September 23, 2015, 11:59 PM »
More complaints  The poll has nothing to do with the topic - it doesnt make any sense to have it here....

Yes, it does. Sandboxie has a new version(5.04) for Win 10. I was interested in how many people here use it and would want to get the Win 10 version. I also wanted to get a more general idea of how many Sandboxie users were here and not just people with Win 10.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #587 on: September 24, 2015, 11:43 AM »
More complaints  The poll has nothing to do with the topic - it doesnt make any sense to have it here....

Yes, it does. Sandboxie has a new version(5.04) for Win 10. I was interested in how many people here use it and would want to get the Win 10 version. I also wanted to get a more general idea of how many Sandboxie users were here and not just people with Win 10.

I used Sandboxie regularly on XP.  I tried it for a brief time in Vista 64 bit.  But there was a gap where the original author did not want to implement a 64 bit version.  In the interim I had changed my habits to rely on backup images.  I liked it on XP.  I started to lose interest when the licensing changed to enable remote kill of my software.  Even though that was not likely to happen I didn't like the concept.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #588 on: September 24, 2015, 12:24 PM »

I don't think that people are complaining, just pointing out that if you really intend to get that information, or are interested it culling it, you might be better served with it in a new thread.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #589 on: September 24, 2015, 03:58 PM »
I don't think that people are complaining, just pointing out that if you really intend to get that information, or are interested it culling it, you might be better served with it in a new thread.

Just having a bit of fun with it.  Like kids in a sand box.  :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #590 on: September 24, 2015, 05:18 PM »
My general notes about using Win10 Pro on a Toshiba Satellite L855D laptop:
  • seems very stable,
  • seems a bit slow starting up, but doesn't need rebooting all that often,
  • feels like faster response time in normal operation,
  • visually poor display quality with "flat", glary, white display, only partially fixed by use of f.lux and NoSquint,
  • high resolution DPI display translates into thin, grey or miniscule characters in the display (depending on application/font in use),
  • seriously bad ergonomics of the GUI, mostly fixed with installation of Classic Start Menu ($FREE),
  • battery saver software annoyingly reduces the display quality even further immediately the power supply is disconnected, and I haven't been able to fix this yet,
  • performance is not too bad at all (see table in image below),
  • ergonomically, I think I much prefer Win7 to Win10/Win8, and MS Office 2010 to 2013.

ToshibaL855D - Summary of WEI subscores to 2015-08-19.png

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #591 on: September 24, 2015, 08:03 PM »
Just having a bit of fun with it.  Like kids in a sand box. 

I was just being adventurous with it. If I don't get anything from it, I won't mind.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #592 on: October 07, 2015, 08:38 PM »
A question. Does a Windows 10 trial exist? Like 7 that had 30 day trails.

I am not talking about the pre-release stuff but just someone downloading now in October and trying it before entering a key. All I find now is something about 90 day trial of the Enterpise version  and none for 10 Home  :tellme:

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #593 on: October 08, 2015, 01:17 AM »

I am not talking about the pre-release stuff but just someone downloading now in October and trying it before entering a key. All I find now is something about 90 day trial of the Enterpise version  and none for 10 Home  :tellme:

I believe that you can

How to Uninstall Windows 10 and Downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1.jpgWindows 10 Announced

How to Uninstall Windows 10 and Downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1

If you have Windows 7,  Win 10 is FREE. You don't trial something free, you get rid of it if you don't want it and you don't need a key(the Win 10 installer provides one).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:24 AM by Arizona Hot »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #594 on: October 08, 2015, 06:30 AM »
It does sound like you have a 30 day de facto trial (though an unusual one), as afterwards Win10 apparently deletes your Win7 installation (which on the other hand is the opposite of a trial, as it's the trialled software that should stop working normally). Having to do fresh reinstall of Win7 from media afterwards sounds like a pretty drastic way to end a 'trial'...

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #595 on: October 08, 2015, 08:17 AM »
So if someone is on a Mac and wants to trial 10 without ever having 7 there is no trial?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #596 on: October 08, 2015, 08:33 AM »
So if someone is on a Mac and wants to trial 10 without ever having 7 there is no trial?

Wouldn't you have to load it into a VM anyway?  I never hears of Windows running directly on Macs.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #597 on: October 08, 2015, 08:59 AM »
No none of that. A left over formatted PC to install and trial 10 on it instead of getting another Mac or installing Linux (on the PC). It's fine if 10 has to be bought straight away but I just wondered because with 7 it seemed easier with more obvious links to download from.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #598 on: October 08, 2015, 09:07 AM »
No none of that. A left over formatted PC to install and trial 10 on it instead of getting another Mac or installing Linux (on the PC). It's fine if 10 has to be bought straight away but I just wondered because with 7 it seemed easier with more obvious links to download from.

If you ask around you might find someone who has some extra Tecnnet licenses for Windows 7 Pro lying around.  If you install Windows 7 Pro and activate it I am pretty sure then you can upgrade permanently to a free Windows 10 Pro.  Once you have the license key you should be able to download the Windows 7 Pro ISO image from MS.  A couple hundred bucks is a couple hundred bucks after all.  And many former Tachnet members have some licenses they will never use.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #599 on: October 08, 2015, 09:29 AM »
That's not a bad idea, will try that too thanks.