topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Interesting "stuff"  (Read 1189000 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interesting "stuff"
« Reply #950 on: September 15, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Deep Learning Machine Teaches Itself Chess in 72 Hours, Plays at International Master Level  MIT Technology Review

Original paper (masters dissertation) here: http://arxiv.org/abs/1509.01549

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #951 on: September 17, 2015, 09:04 PM »
I tripped across a video on YouTube where the audio is muted but the video is there, and it's strange as it's all copyrighted.

https://www.youtube..../watch?v=n6n8NijR3JU

Just one of those little curiosities that you've heard about, but maybe not seen.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #952 on: September 17, 2015, 09:11 PM »
Deep Learning Machine Teaches Itself Chess in 72 Hours, Plays at International Master Level  MIT Technology Review

I remember when I was a kid I could beat the chess computer. At the time I never had any fear of AI. Both of those things have changed.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #953 on: September 18, 2015, 12:06 AM »

I remember when I was a kid I could beat the chess computer. At the time I never had any fear of AI. Both of those things have changed.

I downloaded the paper and might read it in more detail when I have time. For now, I'd be interested in how it does in the traditional "anti-computer but legit lines" like defending the White side of a King's Indian Defense because it has those long nebulous buildups before the attack looks like it makes sense.

And also I don't exactly know where it picks up its knowledge, but even "simple learning" can survey say the existing GM games and say "let's do that!" So using for example my crude tool here at DC "PGN Extractor", you go "Select games of Hikaru Nakamura+Black Plays King's Indian+White Wins" and it studies whatever White did there. Before modern web realtime-y game knowledge came along, that's how I was studying a decade ago.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #957 on: September 21, 2015, 09:36 PM »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #958 on: September 22, 2015, 06:52 AM »
Interesting "stuff"Soul and Inspiration: The Surprising Stories Behind 15 Classic Songs

“Mother and Child Reunion,” Paul Simon

The song came to him in the early '70s. Paul Simon explains: "I was eating in a Chinese restaurant downtown. There was a dish called Mother and Child Reunion. It's chicken and eggs. And I said, I gotta use that one."

Having a somewhat dark sense of humor I've been doing Chicken Omelette jokes on that song for years ... I never realized it really was the actual inspiration behind the song! Damn it! ...Now I'm not sure if I should feel vindicated or cheated. :-\

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #960 on: September 22, 2015, 08:55 PM »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #961 on: September 23, 2015, 03:48 AM »
Also, this:
Red-Green & Blue-Yellow: The Stunning Colors You Can't See

very interesting -- it is claimed there that the colours are not actually 'forbidden'.
I get almost an electric movement of bright colour along the edge and top of the paired colours in the image in that article. Each main body of colour does become a sort of a mix of the two.

In the video, looking at the black dot, both sides again ends up being a sort of a mix of the two colours, and the black dot becomes like an eclipse: there's a very bright back light leaking in a circular manner from 'behind' it.

Amazing how the eye works :up:
Tom

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #962 on: September 24, 2015, 12:07 AM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #963 on: September 24, 2015, 08:06 PM »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #964 on: September 25, 2015, 04:00 PM »
I had been having a really strange dream that the Japs had hammered the Springboks and were going for the Rugby World Cup. Silly, I know, because everyone knows that couldn't happen - it'd be the stuff that nightmares are made of. I recall it vividly though, because I was awoken just at that point in the dream by our little boy at about 3am this morning. Poor little mite couldn't breathe - he's unwell, and his nose is all blocked up. So I sat up with him asleep upright in the crook of my arm. Unable to sleep, I got my laptop and started to read the newsfeeds in my bazqux feed aggregator, and up popped this item, and which immediately caught my attention:
Geothermal power's future may hinge on balls of DNA | Digital Trends
Geothermal exploitation uses a kind of "fracking" approach. It seems as though a bunch of canny scientists/engineers st Stanford U have teamed up and discovered an ingenious way of solving one of the major problems holding back geothermal development - i.e., where best to drill the "well" and how to best tap all the energy that it releases. They have started trialling the use of synthetic DNA to trace the underground fractures created by a well.

A lot of people don't realise that NZ is world famous not just for its All Blacks rugby team, but also for many other things too numerous to mention, including its historical ground-breaking use of geothermal energy:
Geothermal energy use in New Zealand is strongly tied to Wairakei, where the first geothermal plant was opened in 1958. At that time, it was only the second large-scale plant existing worldwide (the first being the Valle del Diavolo 'Devil's Valley' plant in Larderello, Italy opened in 1911).[5]
- Wikipedia
As a keen environmentalist, what I find so great about this is the environmental aspect - geothermal energy has a near-zero marginal production cost and is not land-intensive (does not use a lot of land) and is one of New Zealand's most reliable renewable energy resources, currently contributing about 17% of the national grid supply.
Reliable because it is placed well above the land-intensive and "astronomical cost" (per Bill Gates) of wind and solar power, and even above the relatively cheap hydroelectricity (which currently provides more than half of the NZ grid supply), due to its lack of dependence on the weather or the rotation of the earth.

So, hats off to those Stanford U scientists/engineers.    :Thmbsup:
All countries have this energy source literally "under their feet". This discovery could now enable all countries to better locate and successfully tap their (renewable) geothermal resources for energy, which can only be good for the environment in the long run. It will provide some respite for the environment, from what have proven to be monumentally environmentally damaging and land-intensive renewables projects (onshore/offshore wind, and solar power), and any land-intensive (e.g., dams) environmental engineering projects (hydro-electric).

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #965 on: September 29, 2015, 12:08 AM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #966 on: September 30, 2015, 03:45 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #969 on: October 04, 2015, 01:42 PM »
As I have hardly added interesting stuff to this thread...let me make up for that with this set of links:

Aviador wallet - Supercharged wallet with style.
Drivebot - How To Turn Your Smartphone into an All-Seeing, All-Knowing Mechanic for Your Car.
BottleLoft - Leaves your beer hanging out to dry?
Keecker - Turns your house into a multimedia station...and can act as a security device as well.
Add-e - Turns any bicycle into an electric one. You might want to translate this page, if German isn't your "thing".
Holographic smartphone - Do I need to say more?
ARAIG - And if holographic imagery doesn't do it for you, this device will stimulate your other senses in 3D.
Dolfi - In case you soiled yourself over the previous two links, use this (for your delicates).

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #970 on: October 07, 2015, 06:58 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member