topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Movies you've seen lately  (Read 547011 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies you've seen lately
« Reply #550 on: October 05, 2015, 02:32 PM »
After a bit of research:
Gunsmoke (1958 I think) was another good one.

We used to all laugh when "Chester" made his appearance on Gunsmoke.  Played by Dennis Weaver who later had the McCloud series, Chester had a limp and would come limping into the scene as fast as he could hop skip and jump yelling "Mr. Dillon" and he would deliver some news etc..  We weren't laughing because Chester was hobbled but because Dennis Weaver played him over the top.  :)

A bit of trivia, Burt Reynolds was also on Gunsmoke.

Edit:  You mentioned 7 Samurai before.  I enjoyed the Clint Eastwood vehicle "A Fistful of Dollars" since it was a direct ripoff of Yojimbo.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #551 on: October 14, 2015, 02:34 AM »
I Saw the Devil
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
A Bittersweet Life
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:14 AM by panzer »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #552 on: October 14, 2015, 06:52 AM »
I Saw the Devil
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
A Bittersweet Life
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

All interesting flicks.   :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #553 on: October 14, 2015, 01:13 PM »
Watched this excellent free movie online on YouTube, a couple of nights back: "41" (2012)
- Full Movie - 1080p - Time Travel Film PG13
Published on 17 Jul 2015 - https://www.youtube..../watch?v=K5mnqxwErTk
A young man discovers a hole in the floor of a local motel that leads to yesterday. Dark Epic Films presents a Glenn Triggs Film.

WINNER* Rhode Island Flickers Film Festival. Las Vegas Film Festival. Maverick Movie Awards. Made in Melbourne Film Festival. (2012/2013).

Starring: Chris Gibson, Dafna Kronental, David Macrae, Menik Gooneratne, Nick Antoniades, Glen Hancox, Anne Cordiner, Robert Plazek, Shane Lee, Keith Gordon, Bethia Triggs.

http://www.darkepicfilms.com
http://www.41film.com
http://www.facebook.com/41movie
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2319739

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #554 on: October 15, 2015, 12:50 PM »
Watched this excellent free movie online on YouTube, a couple of nights back: "41" (2012)
- Full Movie - 1080p - Time Travel Film PG13

Thx for that link. I gave it a viewing and agree that it's a very good movie. Nicely done!  :Thmbsup:

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #555 on: October 19, 2015, 04:37 AM »
Battle Royale
12 Angry Men (1957)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #556 on: October 19, 2015, 10:26 AM »
Battle Royale
12 Angry Men (1957)

I didn't say anything the first time... but it seems that your "recommendations" are Trojan horses to put in youtube videos of questionable intent.  I could be having an unfavorable reading, but I don't think so...

profess

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #557 on: October 19, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Knock Knock - enjoyed immensely, especially if you take it as a comedy and feeling sorry for / being in that predicament
Almanac Project - too many questions about time travel in this film to be completely satisfied with the ending. a good watch though, just take it for what it is and you'll be fine :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #558 on: October 19, 2015, 05:37 PM »
@profess  Welcome to the Forums.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #559 on: October 20, 2015, 03:18 AM »
Battle Royale
12 Angry Men (1957)

I didn't say anything the first time... but it seems that your "recommendations" are Trojan horses to put in youtube videos of questionable intent.  I could be having an unfavorable reading, but I don't think so...

You are wrong. They are not recommendations, they are just stuff I watched lately. Please read the first page:

"... The thread What are your favorite movies? is pretty active at the moment, but I thought I'd add this one just for stuff you've seen lately (good or bad) ..."

It seems that you are too paranoid. But that's your problem, not mine ...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #560 on: October 20, 2015, 05:46 AM »
^ hi Panzer, I started the thread and I meant it to be for movies. Yes, you quote me -- and you would win on a technicality in a court of law :) but hey, we're just in dc forums. Posting them is fair enough, but this does not seem to me to be the right thread for them...
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #561 on: October 20, 2015, 10:42 AM »
^ hi Panzer, I started the thread and I meant it to be for movies. Yes, you quote me -- and you would win on a technicality in a court of law :) but hey, we're just in dc forums. Posting them is fair enough, but this does not seem to me to be the right thread for them...

And Favorite does tend towards recommendations if we're picking someone's words apart. 

It seems that you are too paranoid. But that's your problem, not mine ...

But ad hominem attacks are right out of the court, and point towards intent.  Paranoid... come on now.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #562 on: October 20, 2015, 04:28 PM »
And Favorite does tend towards recommendations if we're picking someone's words apart.

... I think you are thinking of the other movie thread there wraith - this one is just "Movies you've seen lately"
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #563 on: October 20, 2015, 10:04 PM »
@panzer: Thanks for posting about those films - always happy to have my comfort zones stretched a bit.

My take:
  • Battle Royale: I had never heard of this before, but from IMDB is seems that it was an updated remake based on the gruesome Battle Royal (2000), and that there's a sequel Battle Royale II. I probably wouldn't watch them as I generally find those sorts of "violent future" and gruesome SF themes tend to be a bit tedious and lacking in plot - "Hunger Games" would be another example (I did watch it, and then wondered why I wasted my time). Having said that, I'm all for a bit of unashamed, excessive gratuitous violence in goody v. baddie films like "Die Hard", etc.

• 12 Angry Men (1957): It gets 8.9/10 on IMDB and though I saw it years ago I recall it as being a fairly gripping legal-detective type drama. A really well-written and well-acted American film - probably a classic by now - and I wondered whether it set the scene for the later Perry Mason TV series.

• SEPTEMBER CLUES 9/11 - YouTube: I hadn't seen that "911 conspiracy theory" video before, and it seemed a quite well-made and well-researched amateur film, and it definitely had something to say. From experience, and given the catalogue of what look rather like tell-tale warning lights, during and post-911, particularly regarding the "911 Commission", and including, for example, the treatment of conflicting eyewitness reports, the preferential appointment of key personnel, the funding constraints, deliberate procrastination, prevarication, redaction (actually hiding some of the truth), lack of FOI, and a seemingly inconclusive outcome with suspect "truth", one might be forgiven for assuming that Americans were a somewhat gullible lot if they all swallowed it wholesale, as directed. But they aren't, and they didn't, and the production of 911 conspiracy theory videos/films illustrates that and was arguably a predictable outcome under the circumstances.

All 3 films have their own peculiar qualities, but as regards SEPTEMBER CLUES 9/11 - YouTube, I would have to say that amateur films such as that give testament to the fact that Americans are not all a gullible lot and they don't tend to swallow the PC line wholesale without raising some thorny questions, and long may they stay so. That amateur film forms a legitimate part of the nation's cultural history, and to object to it or try suppress it in this forum because it doesn't pass the arbitrary wraith808-Tomas rule or requires the Witchfinder-General to be summoned, or something, would seem to be blunt censorship. However, if @Tomos feels that he has squatter's rights on this thread, or something, and can (say) dictate its contents, then why not get out of his face and start up another thread entitled (say), "Movies you've seen lately (amateur and professional) and why you would recommend them". Not sure whether that would fit in the title line (probably too long) but you get the idea. You could then (say) ask the Admins to move your posts from this thread into that, and thus start it off. I'd be a contributor! I'm all for freedom of speech and no censorship, and love films that discuss what might have been, or currently are, difficult or contentious issues, or which force one to think beyond the narrow confines of one's preconceptions. My first post would probably be about "The Boy With Green Hair" and "My Left Foot", the second "Lady Chatterly's Lover" and "Straw Dogs", as I have been watching these with my 14 y/o daughter (she's studying social justice issues and films/books that have been censored/banned due to not meeting the shifting/arbitrary PC standards of the day).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #564 on: October 20, 2015, 11:25 PM »
All 3 films have their own peculiar qualities, but as regards SEPTEMBER CLUES 9/11 - YouTube, I would have to say that amateur films such as that give testament to the fact that Americans are not all a gullible lot and they don't tend to swallow the PC line wholesale without raising some thorny questions, and long may they stay so. That amateur film forms a legitimate part of the nation's cultural history, and to object to it or try suppress it in this forum because it doesn't pass the arbitrary wraith808-Tomas rule or requires the Witchfinder-General to be summoned, or something, would seem to be blunt censorship. However, if @Tomos feels that he has squatter's rights on this thread, or something, and can (say) dictate its contents, then why not get out of his face and start up another thread entitled (say), "Movies you've seen lately (amateur and professional) and why you would recommend them". Not sure whether that would fit in the title line (probably too long) but you get the idea. You could then (say) ask the Admins to move your posts from this thread into that, and thus start it off. I'd be a contributor! I'm all for freedom of speech and no censorship, and love films that discuss what might have been, or currently are, difficult or contentious issues, or which force one to think beyond the narrow confines of one's preconceptions. My first post would probably be about "The Boy With Green Hair" and "My Left Foot", the second "Lady Chatterly's Lover" and "Straw Dogs", as I have been watching these with my 14 y/o daughter (she's studying social justice issues and films/books that have been censored/banned due to not meeting the shifting/arbitrary PC standards of the day).

The point was missed in all of the text that was thrown at the ill perceived problem.  That stuff is in general basement worthy.  That's my point.  I really don't care about what is posted... just the fact that it was shoehorned in.  And with that, and more ad hominems and general trying to be witticisms that really miss the point, I'm out.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #565 on: October 20, 2015, 11:41 PM »
I really don't care about what is posted... just the fact that it was shoehorned in.

this is a pet peeve of mine too -- when political content is posted in threads where it really doesn't belong -- it has a negative effect on the thread and tends to derail conversation.
no one is saying you can't have your political views (and express them in the basement area), but everyone please try your best to refrain from putting them where they don't belong.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #566 on: October 21, 2015, 01:27 AM »
Battle Royale: I had never heard of this before, but from IMDB is seems that it was an updated remake based on the gruesome Battle Royal (2000), ...

@IainB: Which Battle Royale are you referring to when you say "updated remake" because AFAIK there is only the one film, Battle Royale (2000), or it's original title, Batoru rowaiaru.

Watched it and its sequel a few years ago and didn't think the first was too bad, can't remember much about the sequel - have to watch them again.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #567 on: October 21, 2015, 02:29 AM »
Battle Royale: I had never heard of this before, but from IMDB is seems that it was an updated remake based on the gruesome Battle Royal (2000), ...
What I wrote was what IMDB said about it. The film Battle Royal (2000) - without the "e" - was the "original", I gather, and Battle Royale - with the "e" was apparently what @panzer was referring to. He could have misspelt it, I suppose, or maybe it's a confusion arising from a misspelling on IMDB. I was initially confused by it, but I thought I had it figured aright after rereading all that I could find about the films on IMDB.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #568 on: October 21, 2015, 03:02 AM »
I meant the original movie. I didn't know that there was a sequel.

Btw, Wikipedia has two entries: Battle Royale and Battle Royal II: Requiem.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #569 on: October 21, 2015, 04:08 AM »
Heh. Who woulda' thunk that inclusion or omission of the single vowel "e" could make such a difference? Sure, if this were French and not English, you could expect it - it would give it a gender!. Mind you, "Royale" is the French form of "Royal", by the way, and "Royal" spelt backwards reads "layor", which is a very rude word in Urdu, and apparently "911" translated into Urdu and then spelt backwards reads the Urdu word for "idiot". Not a lot of people know that.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies you've seen lately - The Hunter (IV) (2011)
« Reply #570 on: October 21, 2015, 11:14 PM »
The Hunter (IV) (2011)
15  |  102 min  |  Adventure, Drama, Thriller  |  6 July 2012 (UK)
Ratings: 6.8/10 from 28,035 users   Metascore: 63/100
Reviews: 80 user | 152 critic | 15 from Metacritic.com

Martin, a mercenary, is sent from Europe by a mysterious biotech company to the Tasmanian wilderness on a hunt for the last Tasmanian tiger.

Storyline
The independent and lonely hunter Martin David is hired by the powerful biotech company Red Leaf to hunt down the last Tasmanian tiger. Red Leaf is interested in the DNA of the animal and Martin travels to Tasmania alone. He poses as a researcher from a university and lodges in the house of Lucy Armstrong. Martin learns that Lucy's husband has been missing for a long time and he befriends her children, Sass and Bike. When Martin goes to the village, he has a hostile reception from the locals. Along the days, Martin spends his days in the Tasmanian wilderness chasing the Tiger and becomes closer and closer to the Armstrong family. But Red Leaf wants results no matter the costs. Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I watched this on DVD on my laptop last night. I would recommend this film as it is actually quite a thought-provoking film that operates seamlessly on several levels.
On the surface, it's simply about this "hard" guy (Martin David) and his mission and its consequences - he has accepted a potentially difficult but highly-paid contract (if he succeeds) from a bio-tech firm called RedLeaf, to retrieve certain body parts from what is the last reported Tasmanian Tiger sighted in Tasmania (an island off the SSE of Australia). Basically hired to kill the last of a rare species, he goes there under a cover story that he is conducting research into the Tasmanian Devil.

On another level, Martin has to confront the ethical opposite of what he is doing, when he lodges at a house deep in the bush which is owned and occupied by "Greenies" - a distraught mother with a PhD who cannot cope with the loss of her husband, who had never returned from a trip into the bush looking for the Tasmanian Tiger, intending to protect it from logging companies bent on destroying its habitat. The woman's 2 children - a girl and a boy - are smart kids, and the boy is autistic and a savant. All 3 are seeking love from the missing father, and adopt Martin as a surrogate, (due to his cover story).

On yet another level, Martin has to contend with the almost tangible hostility of the men of the local community, whose sole employment is logging, and who believe him to be a "Greenie" (his cover story).

On a deeper level, the story is very much about ethics - especially our personal ethical conflicts - and our search for love and for salvation/redemption from the continued failures of the Europeans in their colonisation - in this case, of Australia and Tasmania. The story is focused as a case in point on one of the many failures - the one that led to the moronic extinction of another species, the Tasmanian Tiger. The social justice and animal justice warriors who could probably have saved the Tasmanian Tiger and its habitat didn't exist until after the extermination had occurred. You could extend this sin of the European colonists to, for example, the inhuman treatment meted out to the Australian Aborigines - e.g., the film "Rabbit Proof Fence" (2002) - or the attempts to expunge the American aboriginals, the Indians, as captured so heroically in the old Cowboy versus Indian movies.

Perhaps at its deepest level, the film reflects that one may be able to seek and find love and redemption, becoming transformed through experiencing solitude, meditation, loss, hardship and deprivation.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #571 on: October 22, 2015, 02:11 PM »
^ Sounds interesting. Those kinds of movies with a bit more "meat" are more along the lines of what I enjoy watching. I have a hard time watching a lot of the kinds of movies that I used to enjoy, e.g. action/thriller movies like James Bond flicks.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #572 on: October 22, 2015, 03:46 PM »

I enjoyed that one. Bill Still does some great work and some of his documentaries are pretty much classics.

@panzer: Thanks for posting about those films - always happy to have my comfort zones stretched a bit.

My take:
  • SEPTEMBER CLUES 9/11 - YouTube: I hadn't seen that "911 conspiracy theory" video before, and it seemed a quite well-made and well-researched amateur film, and it definitely had something to say. From experience, and given the catalogue of what look rather like tell-tale warning lights, during and post-911, particularly regarding the "911 Commission", and including, for example, the treatment of conflicting eyewitness reports, the preferential appointment of key personnel, the funding constraints, deliberate procrastination, prevarication, redaction (actually hiding some of the truth), lack of FOI, and a seemingly inconclusive outcome with suspect "truth", one might be forgiven for assuming that Americans were a somewhat gullible lot if they all swallowed it wholesale, as directed. But they aren't, and they didn't, and the production of 911 conspiracy theory videos/films illustrates that and was arguably a predictable outcome under the circumstances.

I rather enjoy a lot of them. Some are crap, others are good, and some are just really interesting.

I watched the first 10 minutes of this one, and it's certainly interesting. Not sure if I buy it, but hey - interesting is good.  :Thmbsup:

If anyone has seen any 9/11 videos about aliens, and it's half-way decent, I'd be interested. Aliens are always fun!~ ;D

The point was missed in all of the text that was thrown at the ill perceived problem.  That stuff is in general basement worthy.  That's my point.  I really don't care about what is posted... just the fact that it was shoehorned in.

I think I'm with Panzer on this. He just posted some videos that he saw. There are no IMDB entries for a lot of amateur or alternative films, and often the best link is just the YouTube link itself. It's not like he's posting news programs or talk shows -- they're feature length films/documentaries.

It's not like anyone is starting any fights over any movies or films in this thread.

Anyone like Gary Cooper?

I just saw a 1949 film with him in it. The Fountainhead.

It wears its message on its sleeve. But I don't see any reason to not talk about films that have a message -- they're some of the most interesting/entertaining.

The dystopian world or dystopian future genres are again filled with some of the best films of all time. And they're more often than not entirely political.

Heck, Star Wars is set in a dystopian galaxy and the political imagery is in your face -- the Empire's uniforms were modeled after Nazi uniforms. Luke Skywalker is radicalised by a religious priest (Jedi knight - Ben Kenobi) and goes from being a farmer to being a terrorist.

• A Clockwork Orange
  • Atlas Shrugged
  • Blade Runner
  • Brazil
  • Cherry 2000
  • Elysium
  • Equilibrium
  • Escape from New York
  • Fahrenheit 451
  • Gattaca
  • Idiocracy
  • Mad Max
  • Metropolis
  • Nineteen Eighty-Four
  • Planet of the Apes
  • Serenity
  • Soylent Green
  • The Hunger Games
  • The Matrix
  • The Terminator
  • They Live
  • THX 1138
  • Total Recall
  • V for Vendetta
  • Waterworld
  • Zardoz

And so many more.

Some of the best films ever made are in that short list above, and they're all making political or social statements. The degree of controversy behind those statements varies by the film, but I don't see anyone getting all political or SJW or preachy or anything about any of the films people have posted.

Cherry 2000 is about technology, human sexuality, freewill, and companionship. Lots for people to lose their minds over in that film. But nobody is losing their minds and freaking out in this thread.

Nobody is forcing anyone to watch any of these either. Though when my general tastes line up with someone else's, I am more inclined to go out and watch a film if they recommend it, and more inclined not to watch one if they recommend against it. I think that's one of the great things about this thread --- I can go through it and pick out films that I've not seen, then decide based on a few factors, including WHO posted it and their thoughts on it.

But. That's just my .

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #573 on: October 22, 2015, 04:09 PM »
Harakiri (1962)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #574 on: October 22, 2015, 05:18 PM »
Just watched Locke with Tom Hardy,
one hour and twenty minutes in a car with a man and his telephone - amazing how powerful a movie this actually is....
Tom