topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Show us a picture of your.. CAR!!!  (Read 125639 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Show us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2013, 06:35 AM »
@Tomos - Ooops. Yeah. Got lazy there. But it doesn't make much of a difference. Well, a 17% difference. :D But the point is that fuel efficiency is against the law in the US. :P

BTW - Looks like the Canadian version blows compared to the UK model.

http://www.vw.ca/en/...9f6ab08c97063c51cb6c

that'd be like putting up taxes on beer in Germany - then there'd by a riot.
I think it's a cultural thing, in every country there is some-thing that the people wont accept, that will push them over the edge.

I remember a few years ago they tried to push up taxes on soju in Korea... They just about had a revolt! :D Seriously. People everywhere had buttons on their coats/shirts. Signs everywhere. Massive protests. The tagline was (IIRC):

소주는 우리 민주의 술!

Soju is the people's drink! (rough translation as it doesn't translate elegantly)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2013, 06:49 AM »
[...] the point is that fuel efficiency is against the law in the US. :P

the unproven point - I refer you to my quote in my previous post, where a couple in the US get 84mpg with a Passat.
Let's just drop this - it's completely off-topic...
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2013, 09:47 AM »
If I lived/worked in a city with decent public transport I would just hire a car when I needed to - a lot cheaper - and use public transport.
-Carol Haynes (March 01, 2013, 03:12 AM)

+1 :Thmbsup: That's the most cost effective solution I've ever experienced. When I lived in Boston I neither needed to own - or wanted to own - my own car. Their public transportation network was extensive, reliable, and affordable. For everything else, there was always Avis or Thrifty rent-a-car when you needed your own set of wheels. It was liberating!

Unfortunately in the area I live public transport is completely impractical unless you are retired or not working and able to plan your day around the infrequent buses.

At least you still have them in a pinch. There is virtually no local public transportation where I currently live. We did have buses at one time. But most of the routes in my area have been eliminated for cost cutting reasons. And those that survived have had their schedules seriously reduced. Nearest bus stop to my front door is just over two miles away. And that bus doesn't go anywhere I'd likely need to go. My town does have a taxi service of sorts. But it's a small (as in 4 vehicle) operation. Interestingly enough, it seems to adequately cover a population of 59K according to the last federal census. Which kind of gives you an idea of just how many people here own and drive cars - and why the bus lines have mostly disappeared.

Oh well. At least the town provides free senior and disabled person transportation to medical, recreation, and shopping spots. You have to call a day in advance to schedule a ride, but they do provide door-to-door service and are very accommodating when it comes to people with disabilities or age related infirmities. Nice to know some of our local tax money is being spent on a service that's needed - and actually gets used.
 ;)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Soju is the people's drink! (rough translation as it doesn't translate elegantly)

Soju is some extremely strong stuff that shouldn't be drank alone, but mixed.  My first experience with Soju in Korea was the WORST hangover I've EVER had in my LIFE!  I puked and excreted green for 3 days.   :o

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2013, 06:26 PM »

Soju is some extremely strong stuff that shouldn't be drank alone, but mixed.  My first experience with Soju in Korea was the WORST hangover I've EVER had in my LIFE!  I puked and excreted green for 3 days.   :o

Hahahaha~! ;D Funny thing is it isn't really all that strong, but it's deceptive as hell! It's generally around 20%, but doesn't taste all that strong, making it much easier to pound back than something like tequila. It's even worse when you go out with all the guys... Koreans pound it back incredibly fast. I quit drinking it and limited myself to 1 and only 1 cup after having been decimated by it more than once. (Took me a while to learn my lesson there! :) )

And yeah, it makes a much better mixer! :) The current rage now is soju mixed with drinking vinegar, which only makes it easier to drink faster! :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2013, 02:43 AM »
The current rage now is soju mixed with drinking vinegar

????? :huh:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2013, 04:24 AM »
The current rage now is soju mixed with drinking vinegar

????? :huh:

Great stuff! Helps fend off hangovers even! Here's a past discussion: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=13513.0

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2013, 11:17 AM »
The first time I drank soju (which tasted to me a bit like Pinesol at the time), I pounded back 7 or 8 shots within about 90 seconds at the urging/order of my boss. I sat there for a while, proud of my Canadian ability to drink hard liquor and "not feel it". Then I stood up... and immediately fell down again... Like Renegade, I avoid drinking more than one or two glasses of the stuff (which, 17 years on, tastes quite good!).

robinsiebler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2013, 04:05 PM »
My 1968 Pontiac Firebird
DSC04917.JPGShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
Happiness is laced with shards of pain
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:41 PM by robinsiebler »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2013, 04:31 PM »
My 1968 Pontiac Firebird
-robinsiebler (March 26, 2013, 04:05 PM)

Nice :) But you know you can upload the image directly to DoCo so people don't have to go on outside websites and be subjected to adverts right? :P

<edit>OH GOD, IT JUST OPENED A FULL SCREEN POPUP</edit>

<edit2>wtf is it counting down to download?  I didn't stay long enough to see...</edit2>

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2013, 08:30 PM »
  Nice ride.  What's with the roll cage, do some drag racing do you?   :P

LT1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2013, 11:44 PM »
Sorry, couldn't resist the suggestion to post a pic of my bike. It's a 2001 Honda Valkyrie with 99,000 km on it. still in mint condition & still way too much fun to ride. I live in Victoria BC Canada so we do get some decent riding weather!  Valk.jpg

LT1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2013, 12:01 AM »
I do actually own a car as well. This cute little roadster is made by Pontiac and is called a solstice (2007). It is a mix of old school & high tech. Has posi-trac instead of the newer trac systems that are on most newer cars, but has a very fine Eurotec 2.4 litre 4 cylinder engine with variable valve timing. 4 wheel independent suspension means it hugs the road & the new A-Sport Michelins help it stick on the curves. Looking forward to +25 degrees c, bright sunshine, top down, a great curvy island road & my sweetheart of 38 years by my side!  2007Solstice2.jpg

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2013, 12:22 AM »
So, I had the misfortune to have to get a new (used) car recently to replace my totaled one (had planned to pay cash for my next car... sigh).  On the upside, I got a 2010 Mazda6.

mazda6-2010.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

And I have my 2001 Volvo S80 T6 - unfortunately, that year was one of the first 5-speed manual automatic transmissions on volvos... so now it's sitting awaiting a new transmission...

volvos80.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

And I have my 1997 Ford Explorer XLT... not as many man points as tinman, but surely some?

IMG_0701 - Copy-medium.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

robinsiebler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2013, 05:43 PM »
  Nice ride.  What's with the roll cage, do some drag racing do you?   :P

It had a racing engine in it when I 1st bought it. But I swapped that out so I could drive it daily instead of once or twice a month. Now, the roll bar and racing harness are just 'safety features'.
Happiness is laced with shards of pain

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2013, 03:29 AM »
My 'Car'   ;D

And my Dream 'Car' so Mum can ride too!  :Thmbsup:

Double Ride.jpg

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2013, 08:08 AM »
My 1968 Pontiac Firebird (see attachment in previous post)
-robinsiebler (March 26, 2013, 04:05 PM)

F***ing sweet! :D

I LOVE American muscle cars... The hoarse, low purr you get from those engines... Man... Beats the crap out of my Merc.

Sorry, couldn't resist the suggestion to post a pic of my bike. It's a 2001 Honda Valkyrie with 99,000 km on it. still in mint condition & still way too much fun to ride. I live in Victoria BC Canada so we do get some decent riding weather!   (see attachment in previous post)

:D Looks like you had a trip to Arizona there! I dimly recall the Grand Canyon. I think we need to go there again once... ah... yeah... other forum for that. :P ;D

The first time I drank soju (which tasted to me a bit like Pinesol at the time), I pounded back 7 or 8 shots within about 90 seconds at the urging/order of my boss. I sat there for a while, proud of my Canadian ability to drink hard liquor and "not feel it". Then I stood up... and immediately fell down again... Like Renegade, I avoid drinking more than one or two glasses of the stuff (which, 17 years on, tastes quite good!).

Heheh! :D

I remember going out with some Russians and drinking (pounding back) soju... Details are blurry now, but that's not because of time. ;D They were blurry in the moment!  :Thmbsup:

And I have my 1997 Ford Explorer XLT... not as many man points as tinman, but surely some?
Dude! You have 3 vehicles! I don't have that many parking spaces! :P

(I cannot wait to get back to Canada... I need some space...)

And my Dream 'Car' so Mum can ride too!  :Thmbsup:

My dream car includes 360 degree turrets for twin .50 cal machine guns with forward and backward laser-guided and heat-seeking missiles. ;D Oh, and caltrops! Can't forget the caltrops! ;D  :Thmbsup:

Mom... Pfft! She's got my dad as a chauffeur and a couple nifty vehicles to boot! But... would be cool if she could man the twin .50 cals while my dad handled the missiles...

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2013, 07:40 PM »

Guess I can show you my latest endeaver, a 2014 Elio.  2 seats (front and rear), A/C, Electric windows, Disc brakes, Front and side airbags, Stereo system, 3 cylinder engine, Automatic Transmission, and more.  Gets 84 MPG and has a top end of 104 mph.

ElioGreen_45.jpg

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Thanks for that... I'm checking it out... but I think I'm all in. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2013, 09:23 PM »
COOOOL  :up:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2013, 09:29 AM »
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2013, 09:55 AM »
COOOOL  :up:

Maybe this can be the codymobile?  :)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2013, 03:43 PM »

Oh yeah, I'm ALL IN with the non-refundable $1000.  Now for the hard part, waiting for it to come off the assembly-line.....   :D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2013, 04:01 PM »

Oh yeah, I'm ALL IN with the non-refundable $1000.  Now for the hard part, waiting for it to come off the assembly-line.....   :D

The only two things I still have to research are the maintenance/parts and acceleration.  If they're in high demand and your car needs a part... are you going to be able to get it?  Are there going to be mechanics certified to work on it, or how easy/hard is it to work on?  Especially with those exposed wheel mounts.  And they mention top speed... but not acceleration...

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2013, 05:03 PM »

The only two things I still have to research are the maintenance/parts and acceleration.  If they're in high demand and your car needs a part... are you going to be able to get it?  Are there going to be mechanics certified to work on it, or how easy/hard is it to work on?  Especially with those exposed wheel mounts.  And they mention top speed... but not acceleration...

There will be Elio distributors just about everywhere like the ATV distributors are.  In fact, you can contact Elio to be a distributor yourself.  Even during the first part of their manufactor, you can get parts through the factory in Shreveport, Louisiana where they're being made.