topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Show us a picture of your.. CAR!!!  (Read 125628 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Show us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2018, 11:14 PM »
Truthfully, I stopped following.  They're still going, but I just take the blog posts with a grain of salt, and promptly forget it.

They have been pushing on the legislative front, and have apparently conquered that battle or are close to it in every state.

They have been active, but there's been no "state of the Elio" in quite a while, so your assessment is quite correct.  It seems they're trying to keep momentum on the hype front, while showing little of where the finish line is.  It's not in production is all I can say.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2018, 10:32 AM »
I've always liked cars, but I've never loved one, till now...

Peugot 309 (SX)
25 years old in October
Only 45,000 miles driven
Looks like new inside and in very good nick outside

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Well,
I was hoping this would make 'old timer' status which is 30 years old here (you get some benefits: less tax mainly I think). Unfortunately it didnt make it: the motor was still good, but there were too many other problems that couldnt be fixed. Last resting place (destined to be, eh, taken apart, and sold as parts).

WP_20180604_19_09_58_Pro.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

in happier days:
making friends in the Supermarkt Parkplatz:

WP_20180517_12_49_30_Pro (2)_ver001.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #152 on: January 01, 2021, 02:35 AM »
Necro-thread arise! Again!

I just remembered the Elio again. Checking out their website, it looks like the last update was just over a year ago, in December 2019.

After the past several years of "it will be released next year" it seems pretty likely that they'll never be more than vaporware. :(

It's a shame because I really liked the concept and wanted to get one. I hope people who prepaid are being compensated or reimbursed somehow.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2021, 07:25 AM »
Ah, yes, just over 3 years ago I showed the then new, used VW Golf 5 I bought to commute to my then new job.
Only a year ago, I traded that one in for a newer model, again used, VW Golf 7.
It has all kinds of luxury (at least a lot more than the Golf 5 :D), like full leather interior, heated seats, adaptive cruise-control, key-less entry and go and a great audio system.

These are a few of the promo photo's from the garage I bought it from:

03-32.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!13-32.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

I've not been using it much since March, of course, so it'll probably stay in the family for a long time :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #154 on: January 01, 2021, 02:05 PM »
Necro-thread arise! Again!

I just remembered the Elio again. Checking out their website, it looks like the last update was just over a year ago, in December 2019.

After the past several years of "it will be released next year" it seems pretty likely that they'll never be more than vaporware. :(

It's a shame because I really liked the concept and wanted to get one. I hope people who prepaid are being compensated or reimbursed somehow.

Not to my knowledge.  I only went in for $150, but I've heard nothing from them.  That was one of the reasons I just took the lowest reservation level.  As of today, the membership reservation site is not responding, but this was the first time I'd checked in a while, so it's possible that this is just transient (though I doubt it, as other sub-domains are down, also).  But I'd given up on this a while ago.  Their valuation is very low right now, and the stock even lower, trading at $1.24 (though that's better than the lowest, when it was in spitting distance of penny stock range).  It spiked for some reason in November, but I don't know why that was.

A pretty good article - https://www.makestha...ht-around-the-corner

Checking in at the owners' site, no one there seems to think much of the chances of this materializing either - https://www.elioowners.com/

It's sad that many of them are in for the full price of the car :(

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2021, 04:20 PM »
Recently I sold the 2009 Honda Insight from page 1 of this thread. I couldn't have hoped for a better experience, since in about 12 years it haven't had a single thing go wrong (aside from the obvious 12V battery change). It was still basically looking and running like new:

PXL_20210210_161734039.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

Coming from an hybrid the logical next step was an EV, so I just got a Model 3 LR:

Borca.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2021, 09:16 PM »
Fancy! And Nice Color!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2021, 10:31 PM »
Coming from an hybrid the logical next step was an EV, so I just got a Model 3 LR:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

NOICE! :D  :up:

When Elon Musk starts shitpoasting on Twitter, I keep thinking that I MUST get a Tesla! :D

I couldn't give a shit less about CO2 or any of that, but electric motors are AMAZING.

My only reservations are about range - can it get me far enough? And right now... for most things, yes. But for those half-dozen trips a year... no. I'd need a tow.

So, I think getting a Tesla for me will need to wait until I have extra money to burn.

Until then... same old boring kind of family minivan that I have now. Oh well.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2021, 11:51 PM »
@Renegade:

Buy a Rivian. While it hasn't dramatically more range, it is a pick-up truck. So, you'll have room on the back for a generator to charge the battery.  :P

All kidding aside though, after watching documentary series: 'Long Way Up' I was impressed with the Rivian truck. The documentary is about 2 old friends and movie-actors, who travel from the most southern point of South America to Los Angeles, each on highly experimental electrical Harley Davidson motor bikes. They also use 2 Rivian electrical pick-up trucks as support vehicles. The Rivian trucks did not break down during the whole trip. And only 1 of the electrical prototype bikes needed repairs when arriving at Central America.

In the beginning the actors and support teams really had to get their minds around how they should use electrical cars and bikes. Took quite some doing. And as the most southern point of South America is not that far from Antartica anymore, the temperature spoiled the fun on more than one occasion. They also traveled through Patagonia (Argentina), which is huge, very sparsely populated and electricity is not a given there.

Once they started to travel through slightly more densely populated areas, they were accustomed to the electrical vehicles and you start to hear more and more praise from the whole team. The whole trip was about 23.000 miles. And they had to drive through very punishing terrain, sometimes at really high altitudes too.

What I saw was the Rivian pick-up truck has some really smart storage spaces available. And you can sit 6 adults easily. It appeared to me that those trucks have as much usability as a mini-van, as they do as pick-up truck. In the documentary, the Rivian factory also enabled rolling charges. If you are out of energy, the truck can be towed for a few miles where it will charge it's batteries. Not sure if that functionality will be available in their commercial models.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2021, 12:24 AM »
I couldn't give a shit less about CO2 or any of that, but electric motors are AMAZING.

Meh, broaden your horizons and go for a Koenigsegg Gemera  ;)

Combined power output of 1700 bhp
Power output from the three motors – one for each rear wheel producing 500 bhp and 1000 Nm, and one E-motor on the crankshaft that produces an extra 400 bhp and 500 Nm to power the front wheels – add up to 1400 bhp as individuals and 1100 bhp when combined. In addition to the TFG’s 600 bhp (at 7500 rpm) and torque of 600 Nm (2000 rpm to 7000 rpm), the combined power output of the Gemera is 1700 bhp or 1.27 MW.

The most amazing part of the car is the TFG, (Tiny Friendly Giant), engine: 600hp from a 2 litre, 3 cylinder, multi-fuel, twin-turbo, cam-less design.

Never really got the hype about the Bugatti Veyron, 1000hp from a W16 engine ... whereas Koenigsegg had 900hp -1600hp from V8's on biofuel, far better engineering IMHO.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:36 AM by 4wd »

ellis888

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2023
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2023, 06:27 PM »
My baby--aka “The Big Girl”--a sweet 1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo I got in 2012, purchased from the original owner family.

My Baby.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

Loving her, I can’t say she’s my primary vehicle--for insurance purposes--acknowledging my beater, the only brand new car I’ve ever had, my ’98 Saturn wagon.

My baby’s first video - https://youtu.be/isqXn035lJk